Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Half a bike for the price of a whole one!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Half a bike for the price of a whole one!

Old 11-08-19, 12:38 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm just curious as to how you're supposed to load/unload that thing without it falling over all the time. Say you have the handles resting on the ground like in the picture above. So I guess you just have it sitting there at a 45 degree angle while you load it? Or try to load it while it's laying over on the ground, then lift the load up? I'm sure once you get going it would probably work OK, but it's going to be awkward as heck loading/unloading and getting it going. Of course, if you don't put a very heavy load on it then you won't have much of a problem but if you have 200 lbs. on it it's not going to be very easy getting it upright.
Old 11-08-19, 06:49 PM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm just curious as to how you're supposed to load/unload that thing without it falling over all the time. Say you have the handles resting on the ground like in the picture above. So I guess you just have it sitting there at a 45 degree angle while you load it? Or try to load it while it's laying over on the ground, then lift the load up? I'm sure once you get going it would probably work OK, but it's going to be awkward as heck loading/unloading and getting it going. Of course, if you don't put a very heavy load on it then you won't have much of a problem but if you have 200 lbs. on it it's not going to be very easy getting it upright.
It's actually 60+ deg. if you're referring to the picture in post #17 .

As to lifting up the load, you'd be doing a deadlift from the ground—not too good for the back. And once the load was lifted to the correct height, the handles would be quite high, making for a higher center of gravity and increasing the chances of toppling; the gentleman's hands seem to be grabbing the handles just below his chest level when a level just below the waist would offer far more stability. Looks extremely awkward to me.
Likes For bedtime:
Old 11-08-19, 07:31 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
It's actually 60+ deg. if you're referring to the picture in post #17 .

As to lifting up the load, you'd be doing a deadlift from the ground—not too good for the back. And once the load was lifted to the correct height, the handles would be quite high, making for a higher center of gravity and increasing the chances of toppling; the gentleman's hands seem to be grabbing the handles just below his chest level when a level just below the waist would offer far more stability. Looks extremely awkward to me.
I noticed that hand position too, and with the grips straight back it would be pretty awful at that height. I also think the handle height needs to be low.

I wonder if this isn't one of those cult-like things, where people get all glassy eyed and overexcited about the uniqueness of the thing and fail to notice that it's pretty much a total design failure.

Cyclists don't get into cults about bicycle stuff, do they?
Old 11-08-19, 08:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
There's a couple pictures on that website of someone putting children on those carts. Has anyone called the police yet?
Old 11-10-19, 12:41 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Seems to be missing the pedals...

I'm not above pushing my unicycle in certain circumstances, but why would I want to buy one that couldn't be ridden at all?
Old 11-10-19, 07:55 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
No way I'd pay that for a glorified wheelbarrow. Besides, the fork is bent
Old 11-10-19, 10:25 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I cannot get my head around the design. What possible application warrants one?

A traditional single wheel barrow is stable because it has a low centre of gravity. They retail at 50 quid with a fat, bump-flattening pneumatic tyre. The design is unchanged for a three-figure number of years for a reason.

Or you could pay a bit extra for a 4-wheel sack trolley. You can put a cow in some of them, still a fraction of the price of these things, and considerably more stable.