Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mechanic work part of your resume as a cyclist

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 09:26 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

Today's road bikes are wonderful with hydraulic discs and tremendous proprietary technologies that are starting to not be in the capability of the rider to fully break down without professional bike shop help.

We purchase the current bikes and they are fantastic out of the chute. Many riders don't require anything more. But we are "classic and vintage" in our DNA. We have to de-construct and re-construct our bicycles to be truly at one with it.

We go over each part individually. We clean and lubricate and adjust it. Sometimes it is more by mechanical intuition than reading any manual.

This is where I am disappointed a bit in modern road bike tech for the mechanically inclined. I want to install my own hydraulic braking system. I want to experience the success and the failure of implementing it. I want to memorize what size Allen or Torx bits that are needed. I want to cut the hydraulic hose to length for my size bike frame. I'm willing to wait in order to get it right while doing it myself.

This is apparently not how it is done today when buying the most current super disc bikes that are ready to go. I've got a lot more to say about it but that's it for now...

Last edited by masi61; 10-27-19 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 10-26-19, 10:39 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 510 Posts
In our disposable society, a lot of people haven't developed the skills to work on things, but it doesn't mean they aren't curious. Just last weekend, the shop near me hosted a bike build clinic where they built a mountain bike from a bare frame to ready to ride. It included hydraulic disc brakes, dropper post, suspension fork, etc. It was a single speed, but they explained how the dropouts could be swapped for one with a derailleur hanger to use multiple gears.
Old 10-26-19, 10:58 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,130 Posts
Working with hydraulic brakes is not an impossible task for the home mechanic. I built a drop-bar MTB using Ultegra levers and XT (post-mount) calipers. This required some mixing and matching of small parts but no big hurdles. The most difficult part was finding a bike shop that had the small parts. (Thank-you Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax CA!)

The service information is available on Shimano's website.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-26-19, 11:03 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
LOL, I do a lot of mine own work but will pick riding a bike over working on one any day of the week.
Old 10-26-19, 11:15 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, I do a lot of mine own work but will pick riding a bike over working on one any day of the week.
I most definitely like riding a bike a whole lot more than I like working on one. I hope that never changes. Being that I am such a bad mechanic/fix it kind of guy, I do not think that will happen.
Old 10-26-19, 11:22 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I think this inaccessibility for the average owner/mechanic began with brifters. I would guess less than 10% of us here have overhauled a pair of those.

DD
Old 10-26-19, 11:37 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised when a Shimano crank with outboard bearings fit just fine on an Italian frame from the mid-80s.

I had to read up to understand the technology, since it was radically different. Very happy with the result.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-26-19, 12:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I think this inaccessibility for the average owner/mechanic began with brifters. I would guess less than 10% of us here have overhauled a pair of those.

DD
Shimano really did not want you to dig into them. The plan was to add a gear by the time there was an issue and you would just upgrade.
(keep in mind that in Japan it gets more expensive to keep a car on the road as it gets older, fees, inspections, and the various criteria like no dents, crumpled sheetmetal push many cars off the streets, the Japanese auto industry is out of scale - but it is Designed that way)
Campagnolo did sell small parts, but there is a drop off for the early stuff now, and the tools/fixtures to make the work easier are expensive and hard to obtain.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-26-19, 12:46 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
In our disposable society, a lot of people haven't developed the skills to work on things...
I see this a lot. People who can - at most - fix a flat. If they break a spoke or their brakes or derailleur needs adjusting, they are off their bike until it comes back from the shop.
Old 10-26-19, 01:55 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Planned obsolescence, a cornerstone of money making in all tech and mechanical areas.
Old 10-26-19, 02:00 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
(keep in mind that in Japan it gets more expensive to keep a car on the road as it gets older, fees, inspections, and the various criteria like no dents, crumpled sheetmetal push many cars off the streets, the Japanese auto industry is out of scale - but it is Designed that way)
Campagnolo did sell small parts, but there is a drop off for the early stuff now, and the tools/fixtures to make the work easier are expensive and hard to obtain.
I detest and rebel against the throwaway society. Until an electrical short in the power window circuitry forced me to replace it in August of this year, I was driving a 1996 Audi A4. I am still fixing it up as a fun classic, but I finally had to semi-retire it from active duty and replace it with something newer and more reliable.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 10-26-19, 02:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Shimano really did not want you to dig into them. The plan was to add a gear by the time there was an issue and you would just upgrade.
Yeah, that was a feature. Not intended to be serviceable. You were supposed to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Another slightly insidious thing about brifters is rarely mentioned. If you race, brake levers tend to get mangled up often, even in minor crashes. I'm reasonably certain this is why campy used to make their lever bodies from steel, when they could have easily saved some weight by using aluminum. You could crash those things over and over, and they kept working. Might get a little scratched up but so what.

OTOH, if you crash a brifter, it's probably going to be toast, and those things are expensive. Every crash, Shimano gets to sell another $250+ set of brifters. Business genius I suppose, but it must suck to race juniors today. I really had to scrape for my bike parts.
Old 10-26-19, 03:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Today's road bikes are wonderful with hydraulic discs and tremendous proprietary technologies that are starting to not be in the capability of the rider to fully break down without professional bike shop help.

We purchase the current bikes and they are fantastic out of the shoot. Many riders don't require anything more. But we are "classic and vintage" in our DNA. We have to de-construct and re-construct our bicycles to be truly at one with it.

We go over each part individually. We clean and lubricate and adjust it. Sometimes it is more by mechanical intuition than reading any manual.

This is where I am disappointed a bit in modern road bike tech for the mechanically inclined. I want to install my own hydraulic braking system. I want to experience the success and the failure of implementing it. I want to memorize what size Allen or Torx bits that are needed. I want to cut the hydraulic hose to length for my size bike frame. I'm willing to wait in order to get it right while doing it myself.

This is apparently not how it is done today when buying the most current super disc bikes that are ready to go. I've got a lot more to say about it but that's it for now...

Oh boy, here we go.

This is actually what spurred my rant in another thread.

Its not my fault, I didn't know that would happen, it broke in the vise, stand, whatever, insert scenario.

Any task at hand should be all encompassing, setup, safety, carefulness, diligence and successful completion including not damaging any tools in the process.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21181191-post755.html
Old 10-26-19, 04:18 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I think this idea about advancing complexity is wrong. A brifter is no more complex than an old Sturmey Archer IGH to overhaul. Hydraulic brakes are mechanically very simple systems. Just because it's new tech that C&V is not familiar with doesn't mean it's different in kind from old tech.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 10-26-19, 05:46 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
"Malcolm Loughead (who later changed the spelling of his name to Lockheed) invented hydraulic brakes, which he would go on to patent in 1917." - Wikipedia.

1917 = Old tech.

If one can't figure out how to work on a hydraulic brake system, then "mechanic" is not the best way to describe one's self.

And that's perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

But, I'd bet most of the C&V crowd could install their own hydraulic brake system. You all seem pretty capable, mechanically. Some of you, I would say, are extremely capable.
Old 10-26-19, 06:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Then do it.

I really dont understand your post. A home mechanic can do all the stuff you mention wanting to do.
Get a bleed kit and bleed your brakes. Get some torx and use them on your 6bolt rotors. Cut the hose.

All the things you mention can be done at home.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-19, 06:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Planned obsolescence, a cornerstone of money making in all tech and mechanical areas.
While some bicycle tech has not taken hold and therefore died off due to lack of support, there is very little actual planned obsolescence.

7sp drivetrains are still used on bikes, so 8-11 will be around for a long time.
Cable shifting and braking isnt going anywhere.
There are a ton of bottom bracket designs, and aftermarket companies provide replacements and conversions for even old inferior tech. Heck, new good quality square taper bottom brackets are readily produced for low prices.

Sometimes I see 26" mtb wheels being referenced as evidence of 'planned obsolescence', and I think that those people dont understand what the word means. No brands planned 40 years ago to phase out 26" wheels- it happened organically. And even then- 26" tires and rims are still available in low end and quality models.

When planned obsolescence in cycling is discussed I often see this in my mind.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-19, 07:06 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I remember at fifteen years old building my first Volkswagen engine. It only lasted a day or so , but I will never forget the thrill of hearing it fire up for the first time . I literally drove it to the ground . I eventually got really good at building them and made quite a bit of extra money for my self and my wife while an apprentice machinist at an aerospace factory. I got into cycling, not just riding a bike , but cycling in about the early to mid seventies. I hung out with a guy who raced and owned a bike shop near where my wife and I bought our condo. I would help him by sharpening his Campy cutting tools that would go dull. He eventually became a well known frame builder and taught me quite a bit about bikes. For me , working on a bike , whether improving the workings , or maintaining it makes the riding experience that much better. Being a mechanical type person is not for everyone , but it IS what keeps me on the vintage road bikes. I am fascinated with the new carbon bikes , so light and probably better at getting the power to the pavement , but it is not my style. I need to work on them to get the full experience, just me.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-26-19, 07:09 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts

DD
What are these "brifters" you speak of?
Old 10-26-19, 07:18 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
+1 to above. It's very satisfying to ride a bike (or car, or motorcycle) that you've disassembled to the last bolt, overhauled and assembled again.
Old 10-26-19, 07:25 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Then do it.

I really dont understand your post. A home mechanic can do all the stuff you mention wanting to do.
Get a bleed kit and bleed your brakes. Get some torx and use them on your 6bolt rotors. Cut the hose.

All the things you mention can be done at home.
Gotta agree.

A big part of being a mechanic is learning how stuff works.
Old 10-26-19, 08:53 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
With a garage full of bikes and a crazy, wild, wind driven brush fire approaching, I was taking inventory of what to pack for possible first ever evacuation. Yeah, cats, pictures, passports, important documents, computer, but which bikes? With two cars, and all the other stuff, I decided on just two bikes, my '64 Legnano Roma Olimpiade, had since new, 55 years, my first race bike, old friend, college commuter, first bike to ride after a 20 year layoff, etc. The other bike is a relatively worthless '73 Raleigh Super Course that I built myself from a scrap metal, abandoned frame. My first ever build. I loved building it, learning as I went (lurking on BF). I have other vintage, modern carbon, but these two are my keepers. There is a lot to be said for wrenching your own bike together. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, its worth it! The fire stopped a couple miles from us, no evac required ... this time, but the thought process was a a great exercise. The Legnano has 55 years of nostalgia and love behind it but the Raleigh has nostalgia that I created myself, only 3 years ago.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-26-19 at 08:57 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 10-26-19, 09:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
What are these "brifters" you speak of?
Dunno if you're kidding or not, but "brifters" is a generic term for integrated brake/shift levers if one does not want to refer to them using manufacturer nomenclature such as Shimano Integrated Shifting and Campagnolo Ergopower.

DD
Old 10-27-19, 01:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Some newer designs and components are easier to service. The newer integrated headsets are much simpler and easier to service. First time I disassembled one was like an epiphany -- why didn't anyone think of this sooner? Heck, I'd check my headset a lot more often if it were this easy. I usually dread servicing my older bikes' headsets.

Too bad the press-in bottom brackets aren't as easy. I'd still lean toward old school square taper BBs, if only for servicing with minimal tools and no particular skills other than finessing the cone/raceways -- usually takes me a few tries with BBs and hubs to get them just right.

Earlier this year I installed my first set of integrated brakes/shifters -- not sure they're "brifters" because the brake levers are separate from the two pairs of shift up/down levers. Really easy and better braking feel than even the very nice Shimano 600 brakes. I've ridden only two bikes with brifters -- mine, with MicroShift, and a Tarmac with whatever Shimano's top shelf is. The MicroShift didn't quite compare in fingertip ease, but has still been a pleasure to use and more efficient when standing to climb or sprint -- I can shift without sitting. Can't do that with downtube shifters.

OTOH, it's hard to beat the elegance of a well integrated classic steel frame with old school components. Even the most subdued modern road bike looks a bit chunky and plump in contrast. And while aero rims offer some advantage they still look odd to me, even on my own bike. Those classic low profile rims with plenty of spokes just look right to me. One roadie club I ride with recently began encouraging occasional steel bike rides and it's fun to see what other folks bring. I thought I liked narrow bars, but two of mine are 40 -- most of the other fellows bringing 1960s-'80s bikes have 38cm drops without flare in the drops. They look really good, even if they're not the most comfortable for long rides.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-27-19, 06:22 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Dunno if you're kidding or not, but "brifters" is a generic term for integrated brake/shift levers if one does not want to refer to them using manufacturer nomenclature such as Shimano Integrated Shifting and Campagnolo Ergopower.

DD
Yeah, just funnin with ya... see my signature.
All this newer technology can be more user friendly and reliable, but there's something about the elegant simplicity of the bicycles from the last century.
Same for modern vehicles. No valid arguments against safety, reliability or user-friendliness, but wrenching on a 70 year-old car with the plugs lined up along the top of the engine is therapy for some of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.