Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best RIDING tire in 700x32? (with some puncture resistance)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 02:57 PM
gholland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have 700x28 Pasela TG's and have not had a flat in about 500 miles. But they feel numb and I'm searching for more comfort. Most searches on the forum deal with puncture resistance and not feel.

My commute is only 4 miles each way on pavement and I don't think its too hazardous (probably because I have yet to experience a flat) - occasional glass, post-rain gravel, etc.

I get that the Marathon Plus and Armadillos are probably more puncture resistant, but I'm looking for something more responsive with feel.

I'm thinking:

Bontrager Racelite Hardcase
Continental Contacts
Pasela TG's in 700x32 (I'm not sure whether my current distaste for them is because of the size or the tire)

Am I off base on this list? Is there something else I should look into?
Old 04-26-10, 03:05 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What is this "feel" you're referring to? Responsiveness? road feel? what?

I think the thicker the tire is the more vague and numb feel it will be. You can always try tubeless.
Old 04-26-10, 03:11 PM
gholland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My current tires just feel hard. I'm looking to soak up more of the bumps and vibration from grated pavement. I don't ride aggressive, but get going pretty fast at times.

-I've never ridden tubeless (and don't know much about it), but based on your "smile," I'll have to take a pass
Old 04-26-10, 03:27 PM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Michelin City Road Tire they have a strip of something in them to help puncture resistance AND they have a nice reflective sidewall stripe.

here is the 700 x 47 for $9.99
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_200524

I just picked uped the 700 x 40 for $3.99

here is the 700 x 32 for regular price - which is cheap mind you just not on sale
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...0052_163841_-1___

smooth riding, fast rolling and great grip IMHO

universal cycles has them for $21.00
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=592
Old 04-26-10, 04:16 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gholland
I have 700x28 Pasela TG's and have not had a flat in about 500 miles. But they feel numb and I'm searching for more comfort. Most searches on the forum deal with puncture resistance and not feel.

My commute is only 4 miles each way on pavement and I don't think its too hazardous (probably because I have yet to experience a flat) - occasional glass, post-rain gravel, etc.

I get that the Marathon Plus and Armadillos are probably more puncture resistant, but I'm looking for something more responsive with feel.

I'm thinking:

Bontrager Racelite Hardcase
Continental Contacts
Pasela TG's in 700x32 (I'm not sure whether my current distaste for them is because of the size or the tire)

Am I off base on this list? Is there something else I should look into?
Skip the Contis and Bontragers if you're wanting something with a better road feel than the Pasela TG. I ride 32mm Pasela TGs and guarantee that they are far more supple and plush feeling than the Contacts or Hardcase Racelites. Don't even consider the Michelin City Road; 650+ grams each for the 32mm version? The Contacts are over 550g. I didn't see a weight for the Bontragers. But for the other two, you may as well just get the Marathon Plus at that weight. Or carry a cinderblock in place of your rack trunk.
The Pasela TG 32mm folding bead is only 330g. At a 95psi top rating, they're plenty plush while still maintaining a strong feel to the sidewall, even on a narrower (14mm i.d.) rim like an Open Pro. Put them on a wide (17mm i.d.) rim like a VO Diagonale or Sun CR18 and you can drop the pressure by 5 - 7 psi to soak up more road chatter without suffering from any additional sidewall deformation.

If you want the best feeling tire you can get, then pony up the $$ for a pair of Grand Bois Cypres 30mm. Without switching to handmade silk tubulars, you won't find a smoother riding tire. On the down side, the Cypres is a bit fragile, and if you have to dodge a lot of stuff I won't suggest them. On a 4 mile commute, unless you're riding through some horrible downtown glass strewn wastelands, you might get away with using them.

A better option, although not as plush as the GB Cypres is the Jack Brown Blue Label. A little wider at 33mm, but it has a stronger casing due to the kevlar puncture-resistant belt. The JB Green Label is the same tire w/o the belting.
Old 04-26-10, 05:55 PM
pretzelface
Cat 4 roadkill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has asked this already: have you tried fiddling with your tire pressure? I don't know much about commute-specific tires, but I do know that there's a huge difference between a race tire at 120 psi and a race tire at 100 psi.
Old 04-26-10, 06:00 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the best luck with cheep michelins that I got just to get by. I learned later that the more you pay for a tire the more it was intended for racing and they tend to get thinner. I live in Detroit and ride every day-all year long and cant kill my michelin city tires that cost $20 or so ea.
Old 04-26-10, 06:11 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Razor From KC
I run a set of "Bontrager Racelite Hardcase" tires and after 2000 miles not one flat. They are the only tires i would buy.
But the OP's question isn't about flatproofing; it's about responsive ride quality. No tire with heavy flatproofing has a ride quality anywhere near the Jack Brown or Grand Bois. The Pasela TG is the closest I've found (similar to the JB Blue Label) without having to shell out the big bucks and invest in tubies. The Pasela TG falls short of the JB based on the tread. While I like it for the added durability plus some light grip on hardpack dirt and/or crushed gravel paths, the JB rolls smoother on the pavement with its distinctive smooth checkerboard tread, which is also less likely to pick up small stones.
The Pasela TGs are fiends for rattling pebbles up into your fenders. Noisy and annoying, but not a massive drawback to the design.
Old 04-27-10, 11:58 AM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Marathon Supremes. Good flat protection and a very responsive ride. Marathon Racers are pretty nice too, but they only come in 30 or 35.
Old 04-27-10, 12:05 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nope, they also come in 32s..... the Supremes, that is.
Old 04-27-10, 12:08 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
just get fatter Paselas, they're very nice riding tires IMHO. Marathon Racers are nice riding tires but pricier and I don't think as puncture resistant. I've got 35mm Paselas. If I pump the front tire up to max pressure it's hard, if I pump it up to a sufficient pressure it's like a barcolounger. A fatter Pasela and closer attention to appropriate pressure is all you need.

As mentioned above what pressures are you using on the 28mm paselas and how heavy are you?
Old 04-27-10, 12:11 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For straight road riding. Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase.
For touring, commuting, road, light path riding - Specialized Infinity with armadillo or flackjack. Specialized Nimbus Elite armadillo.

I have not suffered a flat or even a leak in any of the three yet.
Old 04-27-10, 12:14 PM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Nope, they also come in 32s..... the Supremes, that is.
Yeah, I meant the Racers.
Old 04-27-10, 12:23 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dwilbur3
I love my Marathon Supremes. Good flat protection and a very responsive ride. Marathon Racers are pretty nice too, but they only come in 30 or 35.
Yeah, me too. I have 700x32 supremes on one commuter and 700x35 racers on another. Very comfortable tires and no flats in over 5,000 miles (both bikes combined).
Old 04-27-10, 12:30 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwilbur3
+1 on the Supremes, very plush, pretty quick, grippy, very secure feel. Had one puncture so far from a curved piece of valve spring (?) that slipped in over the belt. Was running them at 85 psi, now typically run at 55 front 65 rear. Ride very nice like that, and still not what I would call slow. Bit pricey though. Mine are 700x40, causing problems getting fenders to fit.
Old 04-27-10, 12:57 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
+1 on the Supremes, very plush, pretty quick, grippy, very secure feel. Had one puncture so far from a curved piece of valve spring (?) that slipped in over the belt. Was running them at 85 psi, now typically run at 55 front 65 rear. Ride very nice like that, and still not what I would call slow. Bit pricey though. Mine are 700x40, causing problems getting fenders to fit.
Currently, I'm running a Supreme 35 on the front, and a 40 on the rear. Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrid Fenders fit the 35s perfectly, and the 40s adequately. For $29, they are hard to beat. Also, time to stock up on the 40s - Niagara has them on sale at $26..................
Old 04-27-10, 01:26 PM
Bottomfeeder
Mr. cost-benefit analysis

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Swobo Baxter for commuting. It came wearing Vittoria Ranonneur tires in 700x32. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/pvirn...ur_tire/pp.htm They have a very smooth ride, good grip, and probably corner harder than I'll ever have the nerve to on the Baxter. I haven't had a flat yet - which is good, because the rear has a Shimano internally geared hub. The Randonneurs have a max pressure of only 85 lbs psi, so they're not going to win any races. Then again, that probably has a lot to do with the smooth ride. They're also available in 28 and 35 mm width. One thing you want to avoid is the temptation to over inflate them. Last year I was pumping a set up to 95 psi and the side walls began to crack. So this time around I am keeping more careful attention to inflation.

All the best. DanO
Old 04-27-10, 01:27 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you guys used Specialized all condition proII, I just put them on my bike, after one of the contis sidewall blew up on the first ride....bad luck i guess... The specialized all condition proII look pretty cool, and reviews are very favorable, fast responsive and safe....
Old 04-27-10, 02:00 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Also, time to stock up on the 40s - Niagara has them on sale at $26..................
Holy Cr@p! That's a smoking deal!
Old 04-27-10, 02:06 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pasela TG foldable. Use lower psi in the front tire.
Old 04-27-10, 02:50 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
You know, I JUST read a blog entry yesterday from someone who compared the Bontrager Racelite Hardcase to his new Schwalbe Supreme's (sorry, unfortunately I don't have the link right now).

He said the he thought the Bontragers rolled a little faster but not by that much, but the Supreme's were a WAY cushier ride.

I'll try to remember to post a link later. I know the Supreme's have a fair amount of flat resistance built in.
Old 04-27-10, 08:22 PM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Razor From KC
Is there really that much of a differance in tires? i have rode a few differant sets of tires and i would say its a toss up between Maxxis.com detonators and hardcase. There both fantastic tires. IMHO of coarse!
I didn't think that there was much difference until I started riding the distances I do now. I'll still roll just about anything for distances under 15 miles each way. Heck, I even commute on my utility cruiser that has heavy duty 2.2" dirt jumper tires.
However, there is an enormous difference in how I feel after 300 - 400k if I use 28mm Conti Gatorskins, 27mm Challenge Paris-Roubaix or 32mm Panaracer Pasela TGs. Now, the OP is asking about a 4 mile commute. Granted, I think you can ride a 4 mile commute on airless crapola tires and still be fine, but he posed a valid question about a difference in tires that many people don't notice with the exception of super-mega-flat-proof tires. The construction, tread compound, flat proofing reinforcement, casing suppleness and tire width all contribute to the feel of a tire. In addition, the same tire will feel different depending on the rim width.

Personally, the difference on a short commuting distance isn't great enough to justify the cost of a high quality super supple tire with a thin road tread (Challenge, Grand Bois, Jack Brown, etc.) It's sort of like the difference between Performance Ultra and Assos FI.Mille bibs; over 10 miles you're probably not going to notice a big difference.
Old 04-27-10, 08:27 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you tour and or commute, the difference in tires is HUGE because you see all of the elements all of the time. From Road obstacles to weather, and for these things Choosing the right tire or a good one anyways will help you avoid getting flats, getting hit, falling, repairing tires more often.
Old 04-27-10, 08:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have the non-tourguard version of the Pasela, and I adore them. The ride is amazing. I hear the tourguards do a good job at flat protection. We don't have much glass here, so I don't need them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-27-10, 08:31 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not exactly what you're looking for, but running cheap tires, I just switched the 27X32 Kendas to 27X28 Cheng Shins on my "fast" bike (an '89 Fuji Palisade), and find that dropping the size hasn't increased my speed at all, but has made the bike a whole lot harsher.

Honestly, any 32c tire you get will be more comfy than a 28. Just my experience.

That said, if you have the cash, I'd spring for Grand Bois 32c tires. I'd love to get a set, but at $116 a pair, it's going to be a while in coming, I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.