Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Boston Hit and Run

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Boston Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 05:16 PM
BostonBikeMom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boston Hit and Run

So I was riding on Beacon Street right before Park Drive, 2 lanes there, nice and wide, giving myself a little space from the parked cars to also get better pavement. I am riding my fixed gear. All this honking (red light ahead) behind me and a white truck runs me off the road. I come up next to him at light he starts screaming calling me a stupid c-nt that I was taking the whole lane, which I tried to tell him legally I can....

he continues his expletive streak so I go to take a photo of his plate and he rams me!!!!

me and the bike are both fine - a bit of back strain for me that I am sure will feel great tomorrow.

Just a bit freaked. Reported to the police but am posting this everywhere I can.

He took off right after ramming me.

Tomorrow I will go in to file a complaint and I hope that anyone who has an encounter with this moron or anyone else like him does the same.

--cat
Old 08-18-09, 05:26 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 845 Posts
I am glad you are OK, cat. I think posting license plates of aggressive or incompetent motorists is a great idea.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-18-09, 05:33 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's exactly what will happen they see you taking a picture of their plate. If he had a firearm, would you have done something similar for evidence?
Old 08-18-09, 06:01 PM
BostonBikeMom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
That's exactly what will happen they see you taking a picture of their plate. If he had a firearm, would you have done something similar for evidence?
wait, so his running me off the road was not assault? and my taking a photo of his plate makes assault ok? firearm or truck either one is assault with a deadly weapon.

There was a mail carrier there as well who saw the whole thing - I happened to get his pic too.

I WILL file a police report and no I will not roll over and let morons like this rule the road.
Old 08-18-09, 06:02 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would have. NO one gets away with 'it' forever.

Old 08-18-09, 06:52 PM
GRedner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy smokes, I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt!

I ride through that intersection every day (going west, making a left turn onto Park), and like you said - two lanes, nice and wide, usually no problem. But then again - it's Boston. There's always someone out on the road with a chip on their shoulder and an anger-management problem.

Please do file that complaint, and let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-18-09, 06:59 PM
Dchiefransom

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonBikeMom
wait, so his running me off the road was not assault? and my taking a photo of his plate makes assault ok? firearm or truck either one is assault with a deadly weapon.

There was a mail carrier there as well who saw the whole thing - I happened to get his pic too.

I WILL file a police report and no I will not roll over and let morons like this rule the road.
Were you standing behind his truck while taking the picture of his plate? It looks like it. People are going to do that to you, so you need to minimize the opportunity. Your exclamation points after the part about ramming you makes it look like you were surprised he did it. Don't be surprised, be ready for them to do that, but still get what evidence you can.
Old 08-18-09, 07:27 PM
David13

Bikes: DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, there are dozens of those types of idiot/thugs out there with no consideration for anyone else on the road, be it other car, motorcycle, or bicycle.
File your report, but as you might expect you will get nothing but lame excuses from the police.
Actually, if he had pulled a gun, then the police might go and do something. Anyway maybe you will get a bike friendly cop who will go and talk to the idiot, and mention the photos, so that the idiot decides he better pull in his horns a little.
dc
Old 08-18-09, 08:53 PM
beat.tk
weakling

Bikes: giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should call the post office to figure out who the mail carrier is.
I'm really glad you're basically okay, but I recommend you go to a doctor... if you think there's anything physically wrong definitely see a doctor as soon as possible.

edit-also, since it's a commercial plate, the driver could get screwed by his boss (unless he's the owner)

Last edited by beat.tk; 08-18-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 09:03 PM
BostonBikeMom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. I am a doc - so I really know that I am ok!

will be going to the proper district tomorrow morning to file the report - the cops were nice on the phone, and Mayor Menino at least gives lip service to wanting to make the city more bike friendly - depending on what happens here I might try to get an op ed piece in etc....

just still blown away by the road rage....
Old 08-18-09, 09:10 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

will be going to the proper district tomorrow morning to file the report - the cops were nice on the phone, and Mayor Menino at least gives lip service to wanting to make the city more bike friendly - depending on what happens here I might try to get an op ed piece in etc....

I thought a lawyer was his own worse client, and a doctor is their own worse patient.... Seriously, you still might want to get checked out, as your judgment may be skewed by assessing your own health, rather than someone else's.

Glad you are okay, though.
Old 08-18-09, 09:11 PM
Dchiefransom

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The Post Office should know which carrier was on that route that day, even if it's not the regular. Just ask someone on that street what their zip code is, then you can go to that P.O.
Old 08-18-09, 09:41 PM
beat.tk
weakling

Bikes: giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will never forget when a recycling truck plowed into the side of my car in Cambridge (concord ave and garden).
It was totally their fault, as it was a T intersection, I was going straight, and they pulled right into me for no reason.
On the phone, the representative for the driver was trying to get me to suggest that I might have been at fault, despite the police report.
Then I mentioned that I was having neck cramps-which I was..and the conversation completely changed, trying to be all nicey nice so I wouldn't sue anybody.
The neck cramps didn't develop until more than 24 hours later.
Old 08-19-09, 09:47 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my opinion, this would have been worth an immediate call to 911.
Old 08-19-09, 10:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,725 Times in 2,541 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
In my opinion, this would have been worth an immediate call to 911.
Absolutely. Numerous police comments indicate that idiot motorists are calling cops on cyclists riding in a legal manner on a regular basis. We really should report the illegal crap that gets pulled in our presence. An event like this could easily be fatal if the motorist misjudges.
Old 08-19-09, 10:11 AM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the first time that I know of your Mayor is a bicycle rider. If the police aren't helpful enough go to city hall - it may be the only time in your life it will be helpful. Glad you're ok!

Joe
Old 08-19-09, 10:15 AM
JoRoFoto
www.jorofoto.com

Bikes: '10 Cannondale Six Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woww.. crazy to hear and glad you are at least OK and not hurt any worse than you were..

Hope you get some results since we all know that unfortunately once the immediate incident is over with, it's hard to get results since the police feel they should have been called immediately if it was a big deal..
Old 08-19-09, 10:24 AM
BostonBikeMom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did call the police right away. The NON emergency line since I was not injured. I called Brookline, they wanted to send and ambulance despite my insistence that I was ok. I waited but had to get to my office so they met me there. But this happened in Boston (a few blocks from Brookline) so they told me to call Boston, which I did, and they were very helpful but I do have to go in to file the report. I decided to wait until tomorrow when I have more time AND I will have my boys (11 and 13) with me - furthering the idea of a need for safe streets.

I might also try to use some of my media contacts over this - I go on tv as a medical expert frequently so I am going to try to get some play on sharing the road, the new laws etc....
Old 08-19-09, 10:58 AM
JoRoFoto
www.jorofoto.com

Bikes: '10 Cannondale Six Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did call the police right away. The NON emergency line since I was not injured. I called Brookline, they wanted to send and ambulance despite my insistence that I was ok. I waited but had to get to my office so they met me there. But this happened in Boston (a few blocks from Brookline) so they told me to call Boston, which I did, and they were very helpful but I do have to go in to file the report. I decided to wait until tomorrow when I have more time AND I will have my boys (11 and 13) with me - furthering the idea of a need for safe streets.

I might also try to use some of my media contacts over this - I go on tv as a medical expert frequently so I am going to try to get some play on sharing the road, the new laws etc....
Ahh I see.. and that's definitely a good idea to use as much of your contacts as possible to catch the guy and make things like this less likely to happen.. because god forbid it happens again and that person isn't as lucky as you..
Old 08-19-09, 01:02 PM
Spartan112

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're ok. Please, for the benefit of all of us press this as far and as hard as you can. This past winter Gov. Patrick signed a bill containing laws designed to protect cyclists, that too should operate in your favor.
Old 08-19-09, 01:39 PM
duke_of_hazard

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about this awful incident. If he intensionally hit you with his truck, that sounds like a serious crime since he could easily have killed you. Great you have the license plate. In the future you should always ride with a helmet camera. They just around $100.
Old 08-19-09, 01:55 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm glad you're okay. You shouldn't forget that there are ways to make these guys sorry in the civil court system. They deserve everything they get and more.
Old 08-19-09, 02:52 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
If he intensionally hit you with his truck, that sounds like a serious crime since he could easily have killed you.
Indeed -- reminds me of this recent case where a cyclist was attacked with a car and lost his leg. (There were a lot of unanswered questions in that case. I'll have to go back and see if they were answered.)
Old 08-19-09, 04:11 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
So I was riding on Beacon Street right before Park Drive, 2 lanes there, nice and wide, giving myself a little space from the parked cars to also get better pavement. I am riding my fixed gear. All this honking (red light ahead) behind me and a white truck runs me off the road. I come up next to him at light he starts screaming calling me a stupid c-nt that I was taking the whole lane, which I tried to tell him legally I can....

Tomorrow I will go in to file a complaint and I hope that anyone who has an encounter with this moron or anyone else like him does the same.

--cat
Thanks for posting this thread and I'm glad your OK and pursuing this. I live about one half mile from that intersection. That stretch of Beacon from Coolidge Corner to Park Dr. is not friendly, and though I don't ride it much, I will often take a parallel route along Sewell Ave, Beech Dr and Monmouth St to avoid it. I alway am relieved when I arrive at Park, because Beacon is so wide into Kenmore Square, but a cyclist even was fatally hit there too.
Old 08-19-09, 05:28 PM
64Paramount

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount & Cannondale Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you weren't injured and I commend you for pursuing the issue.

I'm not sure I would have been able to think quick enough in that situation to snap a pic with my cell phone. ( Probably not) Good for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.