Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hi, I'm new and need help deciding between 2 hybrids. Participation appreciated!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hi, I'm new and need help deciding between 2 hybrids. Participation appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 10:50 AM
AlexMG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm ready to purchase my first bike in 14 years after borrowing or renting them for the weekends. I want the bike to commute to work-about 3 miles each way-and go on trails on the weekends. I commute in Miami where it's all pavement but I have to go up and down a few bridges each way. I've also read to save the money on front suspension bikes for better components but I've made up my mind about it, plus these 2 bikes have the lockout feature.

After a month, I'm narrowing it down to these 2(budget is fixed too), I'm not too great with brands and quality of their components so please feel free to leave input if you can:

Trek
Utopia (Gary Fisher Collection)

https://cycleworldmiami.com/product/t...on-72273-1.htm

or

GT 2011 Transeo 2.0
https://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/urba...-2-0-disc-blue
Thank you for your time!
Old 05-09-11, 11:02 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Ether one of those bike would be great, thats the first time I've seen that GT and it looks pretty hot and plenty of people on here have the Gary Fishers I'm sure they'll recommend there bikes.
Why dont you get into some shops and try to get a ride on one. There's some good threads on here featuring the GF's.
Old 05-09-11, 11:07 AM
AlexMG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I haven't found the first dealer around that has the GT to try out, there are dealers who will order it when I pay for it of course
Old 05-09-11, 11:58 AM
volvoredrobin

Bikes: Raleigh Royal. Spokesman road tourer. Raleigh rsw 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both bikes you are looking at are Aluminium frames these generally transmit more vibration as they are generally a stiff frame.
I used to ride a bike with aluminium frame and suspension fork but have switched to a chrome moly frame and forks bike which is much lighter (suspension forks are generally quite heavy) and much more responsive, cromo forks have a nice amount of spring or flex so absorb road shock quite well.
Old 05-09-11, 02:02 PM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd also look into a bike with a steel frame, and forget the suspension fork, it doesn't seem appropriate for your application. Check out the Jamis Coda Sport at RB Cycles, or Alex's Bicycle Pro Shop. More bike for the money and I think more appropriate for your described application.
https://rbcycles.com/product/jamis-co...rt-74628-1.htm
https://alexbicycles.com/product/jami...rt-74628-1.htm

Last edited by EsoxLucius; 05-09-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 02:49 PM
AlexMG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, actually I was all over that Jamis Coda Sport when I was first looking, it has great reviews, but I also want to be able to ride through the new "Mountain Bike" trails here that opened up in Key Biscayne. That's why I'm going for front suspension. I don't think they'll allow a bike like the Coda or if I even want to put it through some tough terrain...
Old 05-10-11, 06:22 AM
Fern53

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexMG
Thanks for the info, actually I was all over that Jamis Coda Sport when I was first looking, it has great reviews, but I also want to be able to ride through the new "Mountain Bike" trails here that opened up in Key Biscayne. That's why I'm going for front suspension. I don't think they'll allow a bike like the Coda or if I even want to put it through some tough terrain...
+1 on the Jamis Coda Sport. I love mine; it's a zippy bike with a smooth ride. (Any chance of picking up a used mountain bike to designate for your off-road adventures?)
Old 05-10-11, 06:50 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The problem with hybrids.

There is a very good chance you will get hooked on road cycling and end up wanting something lighter and faster. There is also a chance you'll get hooked on mountain biking and decide you want a better off-road bike.

The bikes you are looking at aren't excellent for either type of riding. You will bet less likely to "outgrow" a more performance type hybrid like the Jamis Coda Sport. You can fit it with cyclocross tires for trails. Suspension on mountain bikes really shines on long bumpy downhills which you probably don't have in Key Biscayne, so you might not need suspension. If the trails are very sandy though, you might need a fatter tire than what can fit in the Jamis frame.

If the bike shop is close to the trails, it might be possible to take it there for a test ride. If not maybe you can rent a hybrid and try it on the trails. You might find you can enjoy them without suspension or wide tires. If not, you might look at a 29in mountain bike. They use the same diameter rims as road bikes, so you can swap out the stock knobbies with street tires when you want to take a fast and/or long road ride. I saw a guy doing a century ride on 29er with street tires recently.
Old 05-10-11, 08:40 AM
AlexMG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys again, the more I think about it the more I feel the same about hybrids. I went test driving and liked the 29er Mamba by Trek, though it's heavy. Maybe not great for commuting but maybe you're right qmsdc15. Maybe I should just buy tires to swap out? The Mamba has me sold on MTB for the price. However if I had money to throw around I'd get that and this: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...tland/portland
The Trek Portland is sooo sexy smooth!
But alas...I also cant fit 2 bikes either new or used.

I'm going to two places tomorrow where I can test drive these and see if I pick between road or MTB.
Here's my "road" bike selection for tomorrow:

Specialized Allez
https://all4cycling-usa.com/product/s...le-72351-1.htm In Black, of course...
and

Coda Elite
https://www.jamisbikes.com/canada/the...codaelite.html

another question though: what do they mean by triple?
Old 05-10-11, 08:50 AM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexMG
another question though: what do they mean by triple?
It has a three cog crank for 3x8=24speed whereas the Allez Sport is 2x9=18 speeds. You will love the ride of the Jamis Coda Elite.
Old 05-10-11, 08:53 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You can put street tires on a mtb, or knobby tires on a hybrid, but there's probably not enough room in that Allez frame for tires much fatter than the stock rubber, so you won't be doing much trail riding on it. The Coda probably will accommodate knobby cyclocross tires, so it's more versatile in that regard. Since you're looking at a road bike as your one bike, I guess the trail riding is not a big priority. Therefore I'd suggest a bike with a rigid fork. Unless you're planning on riding in the rain, you don't really need disc brakes. They do stop very well and require much less maintenance than rim brakes, and your rims will last longer, but they add weight and cost to the bike.
Old 05-10-11, 09:10 AM
AlexMG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more I think about it the less I need to prioritize a bike as transportation to work since its only 3 miles each way. I don't think I'll get tired riding a 29er with knobby tires. It's more for getting out and riding with frequently going to Key Biscayne and other similar areas. There is a very light trail area by the lighthouse path that is unpaved made up of sand, earth, twigs, and pebbles. So if you say the Specialized can't do it I'll believe it. Ill also ask the store about it.
Old 05-10-11, 09:26 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
really it all depends on how muddy or sandy the trails are. skinny tires don't do as bad as you might think on gravel or hard packed earth.
Old 05-16-11, 10:04 PM
volvoredrobin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid

A lot of options out there heres one i discovered a short time ago.

A 26 inch mtb with discs will take a 700c wheel giving you the ability to do offroad and road trail riding.

Make sure you test ride bike first as some dic brakes are abysmally poor
And check how bike accelerates = quick or slow bike

I prefer Touring bike angles as it gives you a comfortable ride and a reasonably agile ride not as fast as a racer but way more comfortable and without needing a suspension fork you save heaps on weight

In my experience entry to mid level suspension forks dont perform all that well
But a test ride will let you decide.
Old 05-16-11, 10:13 PM
volvoredrobin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like the Trek portland make a note of frame angles and go for a cheaper bike with same or similar angles possibly in a cromo frame
(More comfy than aluminium)
Old 05-17-11, 07:51 AM
mjwithtwins

Bikes: 2011 Trek Utopia, 1999 Klein Quantum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my pretty uninformed opinion. I have the Utopia and it is awesome. I can easily handle light trails off road but it is pretty quick on paved surfaces too. it is on the heavy side but that wasn't a big concern for me right now. I was just looking for a fun and comfortable bike that would allow me to use it under pretty much any conditions and it fit the bill.
Old 05-17-11, 11:36 AM
Gene465

Bikes: 2011 Trek 2.1, Lexa, 4300, Skye S, 2007 Gary Fisher, 1998 Trek 6000, 1994 Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty much in the same boat as you, after a 20 layoff on mountain biking, I pulled the trigger a bit too quick and picked up a Trek 4300 and a Skye S for the wife. In two months I have done very little offroading and should have went with something a bit faster on the paved roads yet still able to go off road on dirt trails and such. I am considering the step up from the Utopia and go with the Montare. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ries/montare/#
Great reviews and GF makes some great bikes. Lockout shock, wider tires hydraulic disc brakes and better components than the uptopia. If your wallet will allow you the 200ish differenance the upgrades would be well worth it. Then again I am also considering the Trek 7.5 and Giant Rapid 2. Taking my time now deciding! lol Regards Gene
Old 06-15-11, 10:17 PM
johnj2803

Bikes: 93 Specialized Hardrock Ultra (single speed conversion), 2013 Trek Marlin, 2013 Look 566 Ulterga

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So to the OP what did you end up getting? I am in miami beach and looking for a hybrid too to take to virginia key and ride around.