Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 09:35 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
So
100km in distance
150lbs in bike/gear
hilly dirt roads on a clunky worn down single speed
And people manage it just fine.

Would I tour like that? Of course not. But the idea of 80lbs being too heavy when using a well maintained geared bike mainly on asphalt is, to me, ridiculous.
People successfully tour with 80lbs of gear, but I would not like to do that as I can get the same level of functionality and off bike comfort with 20lbs, so I would not want to carry more. If people are happy to carry more, it's their tour and their legs, I just don't see the need.
Old 11-30-15, 09:59 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
It's goofy the way the argument goes from taking what one wants to be happy to packing 60 extra pounds of gear. Thanks Squeezebox for the logical transition...

Another way to think about UL is to ask the question: Would you be able to tour in relative comfort packing 20-30 lb's of gear on a tour? I'll call this lightweight but not UL.
If the answer is yes then going UL is a want, not a need.

If the answer is no, is it because of the difficulty of the route or poor conditioning?
If the answer is the former it is a need. If it is the latter it may also be a need but could be addressed in a different way perhaps.

If you are riding a high performance, light bike with an advanced gear set and yet find it uncomfortable to carry 20-30 lb's on a normal road tour I might have some questions. If you say you like being completely unencumbered I can understand that, or if you are trying to make big distances fast, but I find it hard to fathom the push for simple A-B la la la touring. The opposite, but equal extreme would be someone who buys a Hummer to drive in commuter traffic because they like to feel safe. People do it, but I don't get it.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-30-15 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 10:11 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The opposite, but equal extreme would be someone who buys a Hummer to drive in commuter traffic because they like to feel safe. People do it, but I don't get it.
I wonder how many Hummer and minivan and SUV drivers troll through Smart Car and Prius and Subcompact car forums to argue with commuters who drive smaller, lighter, more efficient cars...
Old 11-30-15, 10:11 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Nun: Would you agree that there are tours that require 80 lbs of ULTRALIGHT gear (obviously pretty extreme geography and/or climate)?
If so, would you (hypothetically) not do that tour as you are uninterested in that type of geography and/or climate, or because you don't enjoy hauling 80 lbs of gear for whatever reason?
Or a combination of both of course.

This is an honest question, as I am simply curious. Thanks!
You other guys are free to answer too!
Old 11-30-15, 10:13 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
True, but this is a touring forum, not an UL or bikepacking forum.
Old 11-30-15, 10:18 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Someone asked about a lightweight gear list. There have been lots of links to lists in this discussion, but for ease here is what I took on the Northern Tier

Item: oz
Bike, Cervelo RS: 304
Carradice Camper Longflap: 31
Ortlieb Classic Large: 20
Tarpent Contrail: 28
Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger 30F sleeping bag: 25
2x Compression Sack: 0 (include in other weights)
Thermarest NeoAir, Regular: 14
Exped Air Pillow: 3.5
Evernew Titanium Alcohol Stove:1
Evernew Titanium Mug: 2.5
Windscreen: 0.5
Bic lighter: 0.5
Sea to Summit X-mug: 1.5
REI LightLoads mini towel: 0.25
2 x Water Bottles Maxi Cincio one liter capacity: 7
Groundeffect Rock Lobster jersey with long sleeves and a zip: 7
Ex-Officio Convertible Long Pants*Lightweight trousers with zip off: 10
Rapha Merino Padded Boxers: 4
Smartwool PhD socks: 2
REI rain pants: 8
Smartwool balaclava: 2
Rain Jacket: Marmot Mica: 8
Marmot Catalyst jacket: 11
KungFu Shoes: 11
Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Day Pack: 2
Cord:Basic Utility cord: 2.5
Snow Peak Titanium Spork: 0.5
Antigravitygear 8 fl oz fluid bottle: 1
Tools:Topeak Alien II: 10
Parts/Spares: Brake and gear cables, AAA batteries, duct tape, cable ties, Fiber Flex spoke, patch kit, 4mm SHC screws, chain link: 6
Tubes:Continental Race 28, 25mm inner tubes: 6
Multitool:Leatherman Juice: 5
Umbrella: 6
Wash Kit: Toothpaste and brush, comb, shampoo, DEET, sun screen. lip balm, razor,medium REI camp towel: 9
Sunglasses: Julbo race:1
First Aid Kit: 3
Castelli Pioggia over shoes: 4
iPhone4: 6
Anker external battery: 8
Sony Walkman Radio SRF M37W: 4
Cables and earphones: iPhone AC adapter, iPhone charging cable, Hyperjuice USB charging cable: 5
Petzl headlamp: 3
Wallet: 4
Lenzyne Pump: 3
Lock:Kryptonite Kryptoflex 815: 10
Man***** Windstopper gloves: 2
Total Weight: 601 oz (37.5 lbs)

Items worn and consumables
Cap:2
Bandana:1
EMS Techwick Midweight T with long sleeves and half zip: 11
EMS Touring Shorts:6
Rapha padded underwear: 4
Smartwool PhD socks: 2
Shimano M076 shoes: 22
Food and Water: Raman, couscous, stock cubes, candy bars, dehydrated veggies: 100
Denatured alcohol: 7

Here is the bike and gear just outside of Galata, MT

and just the bags packed with everything on the list

Last edited by nun; 11-30-15 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 10:25 AM
nun

Originally Posted by imi
Nun: Would you agree that there are tours that require 80 lbs of ULTRALIGHT gear (obviously pretty extreme geography and/or climate)?
If so, would you (hypothetically) not do that tour as you are uninterested in that type of geography and/or climate, or because you don't enjoy hauling 80 lbs of gear for whatever reason?
Or a combination of both of course.

This is an honest question, as I am simply curious. Thanks!
You other guys are free to answer too!
I'm sure you can come up with a tour that would require 80lbs of gear....case in point going up Everest, but you don't need 80lbs of gear to ride around the world either.
Old 11-30-15, 10:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Nun--great, now I have to convert everything to grams! ;-)

partly in jest, but I really can't relate to ounces. Here in Canada we tend to be pretty ambidextrous for mph and kph, feet, yards and metres, but I still have to think twice to do F to C, and the whole oz to gram thing just doesnt work for me.
I guess its because I never have to convert it. You will laugh, but in fact, off the top of my head, I cant even remember how many ounces there are to a pound, 12, 14, 16? Of course, I can look it up, but just shows how I look at your list and kinda draw a blank.

Imperialism aside, thanks for putting up your list. I've seen it before but its always interesting to see pack lists.
Old 11-30-15, 10:35 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
UL and L are a method and mindset. It has very little to do with the total weight, specific gear, whether you carry a UL membership card or not. In the end the mindset gets you to a lighter pack and kit weight, smarter choices, adaptable gears, etc. etc.
Soooo.... If a tent is a smarter choice (because of bugs etc), am I still an UL'er? Or if I feel that having a proper field kitchen, that allows for cooking a huge variety of stuff efficiently and fuel economically, instead of a pop can stove and a 700ml pot that is viable for proper cooking only theoretically?
Old 11-30-15, 10:49 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

djb: grams are kind of like ultralight ounces!
Old 11-30-15, 11:48 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Soooo.... If a tent is a smarter choice (because of bugs etc), am I still an UL'er? Or if I feel that having a proper field kitchen, that allows for cooking a huge variety of stuff efficiently and fuel economically, instead of a pop can stove and a 700ml pot that is viable for proper cooking only theoretically?

In order to earn your UL merit badge you must sleep on bubble wrap under a garbage bag that doubles as your saddle bag.
You may only wear 1 pair of cycling shorts, even in winter, for the duration of the trip. You are also limited to 1 jersey, even in winter.
Rain gear may be used. It is recommended (hint hint) that you use only a garbage bag found on the route. You may chew holes in it for your arms and head.
(chewing is OK for this as you aren't UL if you carry a small knife)
Soap is not allowed. The smell that you build up over time is a signal to other UL merit badge holders that you are serious.
Camp kitchen may only be comprised of a Ti toothpick, no sporks or other utensils allowed.
Heat for a fire may only come from burning Everclear in a Ti dixie cup.
Starting the stove many only be done by rubbing found twigs together to generate heat and a flame.

Until the UL Advisory Board approves your application, you may only display the following merit badge on your kit:

Attached Images
Old 11-30-15, 11:55 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, if 27kg is going to make you miserable you might want to look towards further conditioning. More weight is going to make you slower on the uphills, not miserable, at least if your gearing can handle the elevation gain.
Why is that the conclusion you draw? I carry less weight because I enjoy how a light bike rides and handles. Its not lack of conditioning. I did ten centuries back to back on one of my last tours, I'm in the 1,000lb club in weightlifting etc.
Old 11-30-15, 11:57 AM
nun

Sorry for the US centric use of oz. My bike weighs about 8.5kg and my gear weighs the same. So the bike and gear together weigh 17kgs
Old 11-30-15, 12:02 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
Why is that the conclusion you draw? I carry less weight because I enjoy how a light bike rides and handles. Its not lack of conditioning. I did ten centuries back to back on one of my last tours, I'm in the 1,000lb club in weightlifting etc.
I do lightweight touring because I'm a middle aged overweight guy and I want to make thing as easy as possible. I'm not the fittest of riders so less weight makes mountain climbing and centuries easier.
Old 11-30-15, 12:17 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make UL tents
Old 11-30-15, 12:36 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ahhhhh.... at last! given an opportunity to boast on the internet.
Old 11-30-15, 12:41 PM
elcruxio

They make UL tents
which are also expensive if they also have any rating for waterproofness. It's like any other thing, money takes away grams.
Old 11-30-15, 01:17 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I do lightweight touring because I'm a middle aged overweight guy and I want to make thing as easy as possible. I'm not the fittest of riders so less weight makes mountain climbing and centuries easier.
Good reason--and what about those with infirmities or injuries who simply can't make the slightest hill with a heavy load? Say I have a marginal, non-crippling knee injury. I enjoy pain-free cycling unladen. I would like to tour, but a "traditional" load of 50 pounds of gear would be torture if not impossible. I find out I can tour in comfort and good style with 15 pounds of gear. And then people call me "unpopular?"
Old 11-30-15, 01:17 PM
nun

which are also expensive if they also have any rating for waterproofness. It's like any other thing, money takes away grams.
Spending $220 on something like a Tarptent Protrail does not seem that expensive.
Old 11-30-15, 01:20 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Increasingly, open fires are being discouraged, and even outlawed in Australia because of the very real bushfire dangers they present, especially in summer. In World Heritage Areas such as the South-West of Tasmania, open fires are banned, and if you want to cook, take a stove; if you want to stay warm, take more clothing.

I've also been in one North American campground where the woodsmoke from a succession of campfires was disgusting. Like everything else, there are people who know how to build and burn fires with the right wood, and there are those who have a romantic idea, but have no clue.
In most of the USA, camping means a campfire in a designated fire pit. Great for cooking, s,mores and getting rid of bugs. In Summer, some areas do not allow fires because of forest fire issues. In the Northeast, we get lots of rain so it usually is not an issue.
Old 11-30-15, 01:28 PM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
And then people call me "unpopular?"
I understood the thread title to mean unpopular as in a small fraction, not as disliked...

That is, not that those who choose to tour UL are disliked by others!

Last edited by imi; 11-30-15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 01:33 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Leebo
In most of the USA, camping means a campfire in a designated fire pit. Great for cooking, s,mores and getting rid of bugs. In Summer, some areas do not allow fires because of forest fire issues. In the Northeast, we get lots of rain so it usually is not an issue.
Many campsites don't allow you to pick up wood to make a fire, they insist that you bring your own or buy it from the camp store.
Old 11-30-15, 01:49 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Many campsites don't allow you to pick up wood to make a fire, they insist that you bring your own or buy it from the camp store.
Plenty of places in New England you can just pick it up, just no cutting of live trees.
Old 11-30-15, 02:02 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Leebo
Plenty of places in New England you can just pick it up, just no cutting of live trees.
That's true, but out West there's often a ban on collecting any wood, even dead stuff of the ground.
Old 11-30-15, 02:02 PM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by nun
Spending $220 on something like a Tarptent Protrail does not seem that expensive.
No, it does not. It's made of silnylon though. I can't find their waterproof ratings but silnylon generally has a max hydrostatic head of 1500mm whereas PU coated stuff can get to 5000-10000mm. Pu coated is heavier though. I personally wouldn't use anything under 3000mm since with any less it can become difficult to keep the water out, especially in heavy rain or perpetual wetness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.