Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mini V brakes on standard V brake bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 07:30 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

I tried searching this but got nothing useful. It is probably so obvious that no one thinks to write about it.

Do mini V brakes fit on the same mounting posts as regular V brakes? I am switching up a C-Dale Quick 6 to drop bars with Gevenalle shifters and the only ones I can find for a 3X are short pull and my brakes are sadly long pull. looking online the only issue I can see is if the posts are the same distance to the rim on both setups. Unfortunately I cant do more than that as I am on the road for another month and am hoping to have everything ready to do the swap and get biking as soon as I get home.

So for the skilled minds out there can I fit a tektro (for example) mini V on a Cannondale regular V brake bike?

Thanks
Old 02-11-20, 08:50 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The mounting post dimensions are the same, mini-Vs may have small clearances. What are you looking for that Gevenalle doesn't have? They have long and short pull double/triple for both Shimano road and MTB derailleurs as well as friction or provide-your-own shifter options on their Audax line.
Old 02-11-20, 09:10 PM
rollalongnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put a set of TRPs on my hybrid. No issues at all. Brake levers had a thingy to switch the pull ratio. TRP CX 8.4s are really nice. They will work with brifters, so a nice option for a touring bike that has posts.

Last edited by rollalongnow; 02-11-20 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 10:35 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The mounting post dimensions are the same, mini-Vs may have small clearances. What are you looking for that Gevenalle doesn't have? They have long and short pull double/triple for both Shimano road and MTB derailleurs as well as friction or provide-your-own shifter options on their Audax line.
They are out of stock of the long pulls for 60-90 days. I have been out of commission for 10 months mostly and am itching to get started.

The Tecktros are 15 bucks each. I can live with that.

Thanks for the information!
Old 02-12-20, 07:52 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
They will fit perfectly on the frame and fork, and work perfectly with any short-pull levers. But if you have tires wider than ~45mm or so, or have fenders, then mini-Vs might not have enough clearance.