Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to hang bike on wall hook by front wheel?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is it OK to hang bike on wall hook by front wheel?

Old 09-21-20, 10:31 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I first attached a 1x4 to the studs. Then I could put the wheel hooks wherever I wanted - spaced by bar width, not 16” or 32”.
Love that bar stool. And i love your setup. I am currently trying to reorganize my garage for the bikes. I would hang off the ceiling like my neighbor, which is super easy, but my garage wont allow it between the garage door guides, the over head storage etc. This is a nice solution. So just a 1x4 from home depot. And then you just screwed in the hooks?
Old 09-21-20, 10:53 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Yep. Find the studs, drive two screws (2" long is plenty) per stud. The second board under the tires is obviously optional - really just to hide the tire smudges. But be warned, if you do that board, your buddies will give you $*#@ for not putting one there for the back tires... to which you'll comment "The wheelbases are different and... " ;-)

When you mount the rubber coated hooks (they come in two sizes - get the bigger ones)
- Pre-drill with a bit roughly but slightly smaller than the shaft of the hook - not the threads. Don't ream the hole, just drill and back out
- Twist the hooks in the board but resist the urge to sink them - you don't want the threaded portion going past the board.

I spaced the hooks based on the widths of the bars plus a little bit, and added a hook in between to hang spare wheels.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 09-21-20, 11:43 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I personally like the mounts specifically made for wall mount vs ceiling mount.

Old 09-21-20, 11:44 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I just drop it in the front yard when I bail inside to have dinner.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 09-21-20, 01:23 PM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Originally Posted by GlennR
I personally like the mounts specifically made for wall mount vs ceiling mount.

Hmm whats that product? link please. Might save me a trip to Home depot
Old 09-21-20, 02:36 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by oleg232000
Hmm whats that product? link please. Might save me a trip to Home depot
https://www.amazon.com/GOFORWILD-Gar...5Y5WZREW1EK016
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-21-20, 02:56 PM
oleg232000

Awesome. Just ordered it. Hopefully, will be able to line them up with studs that will work for my garage layout. Otherwise Zaskars solution lets you almost put the bikes wherever you want. Thank you
Old 09-22-20, 11:09 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
As long as you mount it right side up...

"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-22-20, 09:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,002 Posts
I've hung my on hooks from the ceiling and the wall. I decided I like the convenience of being able to move mine left or right as needed. I got the SteadyRack and really like them.

Old 09-22-20, 09:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Awesome. Just ordered it. Hopefully, will be able to line them up with studs that will work for my garage layout. Otherwise Zaskars solution lets you almost put the bikes wherever you want. Thank you

Get one of these....best stud finder ever. Also, gets some 1x8 boards that will run across multiple studs and it wont matter where your studs are for the hooks. You can installed them anywhere on the board. I ran 12ft lengths in my garage to hang the Steady racks and it made it super simple to line them up and space them as I needed.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Hanson-030.../dp/B000IKK0OI

Old 09-23-20, 08:54 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I know this is off topic, but are there no crosswinds where you ride? Don't those get blown around a lot? Serious question, because I noticed a big difference going from regular boxy MA3 style rims to CXP30s back in the 1990s, and 58s are nearly twice as tall.
I'm not even a good bike handler (barely rode outside before this year) and I ride Jet 6+s in all conditions, including on the P2 at COTA with the wind sweeping across the plains. As said, with modern designs and a bit of practice, it's a non-issue. A couple of times a year it gives me a few moments that make me pay attention, but it's good to get practice at those anyway.
Old 09-23-20, 10:36 AM
oleg232000

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Get one of these....best stud finder ever. Also, gets some 1x8 boards that will run across multiple studs and it wont matter where your studs are for the hooks. You can installed them anywhere on the board. I ran 12ft lengths in my garage to hang the Steady racks and it made it super simple to line them up and space them as I needed.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Hanson-030.../dp/B000IKK0OI
So probably off topic, but i had this discussion with my brother in law who said just use a powerful magnet to find the studs. I said, well studs are made of wood, so whats the magnet gonna do? He said the stud should have metal nails going through it for your drywall. To which I replied, but there are a bunch of things that could be made of metal. To which he replied yeah, but in my experience its better than your regular "stud" finder. And i agree to the extent that regular stud finders do not work perfectly, but the link you posted says it has a depth of one inch. I dont believe thats going to work in many scenarios....but i might try it for 7$
Old 09-23-20, 11:20 AM
jaxgtr

So probably off topic, but i had this discussion with my brother in law who said just use a powerful magnet to find the studs. I said, well studs are made of wood, so whats the magnet gonna do? He said the stud should have metal nails going through it for your drywall. To which I replied, but there are a bunch of things that could be made of metal. To which he replied yeah, but in my experience its better than your regular "stud" finder. And i agree to the extent that regular stud finders do not work perfectly, but the link you posted says it has a depth of one inch. I dont believe thats going to work in many scenarios....but i might try it for 7$
Most drywall is only a 1/2" inch thick, so it should not be a problem. And yea, you are looking for screws or nails in the studs. In the 15 years I have used one of these, never missed a stud. It is also exception when you have metal studs like they have in new construction in post Hurricane Andrew South Florida.

You can't go wrong with it.

Oh and the magnet is very strong, it will hang on the wall when you run across the nail or screw so you can line up where you want to put whatever you are trying to hang.. You will not pick up wires and such as they are not generally steel.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 09-23-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 09:57 AM
oleg232000

I've hung my on hooks from the ceiling and the wall. I decided I like the convenience of being able to move mine left or right as needed. I got the SteadyRack and really like them.

That looks gorgeous, and I saw this product online. Seems to be very handy. But its a pricey setup. Then again, If i had 5 large mountain bikes like that I might have considered it.

Most drywall is only a 1/2" inch thick, so it should not be a problem. And yea, you are looking for screws or nails in the studs. In the 15 years I have used one of these, never missed a stud. It is also exception when you have metal studs like they have in new construction in post Hurricane Andrew South Florida.

You can't go wrong with it.

Oh and the magnet is very strong, it will hang on the wall when you run across the nail or screw so you can line up where you want to put whatever you are trying to hang.. You will not pick up wires and such as they are not generally steel.
Just go it from Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 09-28-20, 06:54 PM
jaxgtr

That looks gorgeous, and I saw this product online. Seems to be very handy. But its a pricey setup. Then again, If i had 5 large mountain bikes like that I might have considered it.

Just go it from Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks, yea I really like it and you are right, they are pricey. Luckily, I did not have to pay for those racks, except for 1. My employer has a point system as part of the employee benefits and I was looking through the site for something to spend some points on and amazingly these were in the offering. I spotted these right at the same time I was looking into them to put on the wall. I got lucky and saved some major cash. I just ordered a Domane, so I need to go spend some points .

Likes For jaxgtr: