Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Carbon Fiber engineering

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Motobecane Carbon Fiber engineering

Old 09-27-20, 06:24 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Bikesdirect frames are made by Kinesis. They make frames for a variety of other brands, as well as making them under their own brand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-27-20, 09:59 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
What exact model is that? (link?) I looked on their horrible website, but didn't find that specific one.

My experience with buying a Motobecane Al fatbike:
- frame built by Kinesis and had excellent quality. Better welds than my giant bike. Obvioulsy yours being a CF bike, it may be made elsewhere.
- has threaded BB, they don't do proprietary s$$t. It will be much more serviceable in the future.
- easy assembly (just front wheel in, handlebar). If i could charge $75, or even $250 for assembly, I would give up my professional job and do that all day :-)
- components on a higher level than most LBS bikes
- the geometry may be dated depending on which bike and what you consider modern. that is the reason i upgraded my frame to an RSD Mayor (slacker HT, lower standover). BTW, the Motobecane frame was about 200-300g LIGHTER than the Mayor. Obviously you need to research geometry if it works for you. I don't see a need to follow every new trend, but the slacker HT is a big improvement (70--> 67°)

I don't have experience with FS bikes, but am looking at getting one. Obviouly geometry matters, but the rear linkage and bearings are important. Look how replaceable they are, if they sue bushings only, or bearings etc. Some shocks are kind of proprietary for that bike.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 09-27-20, 03:40 PM
VernMoto

Bikes: Specialized, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
From the way you describe it, I wonder if you'd be better off with a hard tail bike. Or even a gravel bike. You'd be surprised at what you can do with little to no suspension. Unless you're bombing nasty downhills or doing serious drops, you can ride lots of rough stuff and trails without rear suspension -- and even without front suspension. In the early 90s, I lived in a ski town in the Rockies and had a hard tail/hard fork Fisher mountain bike. I mountain biked almost every day on some pretty gnarly trails without any problem (well, I did have to replace my headset twice). For the type of riding you are describing, I would give serious consideration to something lighter, stronger, less complicated and less likely to fail.

I have a hard tail Specialized I got for $4500 back in 2007. Sometimes I wish I had a full suspension. Some of the rough spots of my 30 mile run are killing my ars. Bad trail maintenance. Pot holes, large rock filled sections and several curbs hard to "hop" over. Plus, my old bike is heavy and I feel like I am placing more energy in moving the bike than enjoying the challenges the trails have to offer.
Old 09-27-20, 03:52 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What exact model is that? (link?) I looked on their horrible website, but didn't find that specific one.

My experience with buying a Motobecane Al fatbike:
- frame built by Kinesis and had excellent quality. Better welds than my giant bike. Obvioulsy yours being a CF bike, it may be made elsewhere.
- has threaded BB, they don't do proprietary s$$t. It will be much more serviceable in the future.
- easy assembly (just front wheel in, handlebar). If i could charge $75, or even $250 for assembly, I would give up my professional job and do that all day :-)
- components on a higher level than most LBS bikes
- the geometry may be dated depending on which bike and what you consider modern. that is the reason i upgraded my frame to an RSD Mayor (slacker HT, lower standover). BTW, the Motobecane frame was about 200-300g LIGHTER than the Mayor. Obviously you need to research geometry if it works for you. I don't see a need to follow every new trend, but the slacker HT is a big improvement (70--> 67°)

I don't have experience with FS bikes, but am looking at getting one. Obviouly geometry matters, but the rear linkage and bearings are important. Look how replaceable they are, if they sue bushings only, or bearings etc. Some shocks are kind of proprietary for that bike.
You can find the bike I got here. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

This is my first FS bike as well. With very little info about other riders opinions, I guess I will soon find out what this bike is capable of. Again, all I am really looking for is a good trail bike to replace my dated 2007 Specialized. that can handle some rough spots on the trail without killing my ars. The trail I ride is about 15 miles in one direction, making 30 max. It is safe and away from traffic and cars trying to kill you. Just wild pigs, snakes and spiders.
Old 09-27-20, 03:53 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts

Originally Posted by VernMoto
I have a hard tail Specialized I got for $4500 back in 2007. Sometimes I wish I had a full suspension. Some of the rough spots of my 30 mile run are killing my ars. Bad trail maintenance. Pot holes, large rock filled sections and several curbs hard to "hop" over. Plus, my old bike is heavy and I feel like I am placing more energy in moving the bike than enjoying the challenges the trails have to offer.
Well, for one thing, you've got about 10 pounds worth of lights, bags, kickstands, doo-dads and a massive saddle and cover on that thing. Also, when you ride a hard-tail on a rough trail, you need to lift off the saddle and use your legs as suspension for any gnarly bumps and drops. What kind of tires do you have on that thing? You might be able to go a bit plusher.

Unless you are riding really rough (think big rocks and tree roots everywhere) single track downhills or bombing a bike park at a ski resort, you seriously don't need -- and probably are better off without -- full suspension. I still have my 1995 Barracuda 'Cuda Comp hard tail (with a newer suspension fork), and I can ride pretty much any of the trails around here. I wouldn't take it on the lifts at Big Bear or Mammoth, but for the type of riding being described in this thread, it's more than adequate. Why add the weight, complexity, cost, flex and bounce of a rear suspension unless you really need it. It makes no sense for most people.

Heck, we've got guys out here riding a lot of the MTB trails on gravel bikes. Check out SAFA Brian on YouTube if you want to see how fast you can ride a smooth-ish trail on a gravel bike with no suspension. He's even taking jumps at speed on his Scott Addict.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 09-27-20, 05:39 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=mattcalifornia;21716298]

Well, for one thing, you've got about 10 pounds worth of lights, bags, kickstands, doo-dads and a massive saddle and cover on that thing. Also, when you ride a hard-tail on a rough trail, you need to lift off the saddle and use your legs as suspension for any gnarly bumps and drops. What kind of tires do you have on that thing? You might be able to go a bit plusher.

Unless you are riding really rough (think big rocks and tree roots everywhere) single track downhills or bombing a bike park at a ski resort, you seriously don't need -- and probably are better off without -- full suspension. I still have my 1995 Barracuda 'Cuda Comp hard tail (with a newer suspension fork), and I can ride pretty much any of the trails around here. I wouldn't take it on the lifts at Big Bear or Mammoth, but for the type of riding being described in this thread, it's more than adequate. Why add the weight, complexity, cost, flex and bounce of a rear suspension unless you really need it. It makes no sense for most people.

Heck, we've got guys out here riding a lot of the MTB trails on gravel bikes. Check out SAFA Brian on YouTube if you want to see how fast you can ride a smooth-ish trail on a gravel bike with no suspension. He's even taking jumps at speed on his Scott Addict.[/QUOTE

I know this trail. It has long stretches of crappy parts. My legs work great as a suspension, but on long stretches, a full suspension would allow me to stay in the seat and go way faster. I was watching the girl I ride with with who bought a 10K Specialized full suspension, and she flies over those spots with ease. Her suspension takes all the beating, her 29" wheels make my 26" look gay leaving her with pushing it hard and me on a bad rollercoaster slamming around beating myself to death. She can go over a 8" curb by a simple lift off the seat. I have to jump it. And there are a few hill climes pretty steep, her 1x11 drivetrain allows her to go way harder than my bike. I can kill her when we road bike, but her FS bike is just WAY better and way more fun than mine to ride on the trails. I don't have $10,000 to spend on a Specialized Stump Jumper with the same gear I got on my Motobecane. She already calls my bike a Moto-be-can't. We will see. I think what I have and the trails we ride can give me the edge.

Her bike. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ext=93320-0402

Old 09-27-20, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I was told "Starting at $250" when the guy was trying to sell me the Specialized. He said something like "You have to get the bike fitted as well" I think he was referring to bikes they sell at the shop. In any case, I got the impression they wanted to sell me a bike, not really help me with getting any sort of good deal.

I found an old bike pro shop in Seabrook that siad he would assemble for $40. His bike shop is connected with charities that try to get everyone on a bike. https://www.facebook.com/slowtwitchniche/ Did some research and found some pro's in this group that say they will not let anyone else touch their bikes. Unfortunately, there is a wait.

Exactly as I thought. A fit is super useful and quite important for any rider and any bike. To build a bike and get a Retül fitting for that price is a bargain and I would have jumped on it. Fits are usually much more expensive than that and their bike build rate is pretty cheap (though maybe on par for other shops in Houston). $40 is quite low and I wouldn't trust a carbon fiber bike even if the name is lifted from a defunct French brand to give it a sliver of faux-prestige. Maybe he is good and giving away time and money which is up to them but it is more than just throwing out some cardboard and putting pedals on no matter what the importer or manufacturer says. Very few boxed bikes come ready to ride and need a proper tune up. Especially on a full suspension bike of unknown origin.

Why would they want to get you a good deal on labor for a bike you bought online though? What is really in it for them? I generally wouldn't cut a break on labor as that is high margin for a shop. Parts maybe especially on a new bike purchased from the shop but random internet boxes not at all.
Old 09-27-20, 10:13 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
[QUOTE=VernMoto;21716460]

Heck, we've got guys out here riding a lot of the MTB trails on gravel bikes. Check out SAFA Brian on YouTube if you want to see how fast you can ride a smooth-ish trail on a gravel bike with no suspension. He's even taking jumps at speed on his Scott Addict.[/QUOTE

I know this trail. It has long stretches of crappy parts. My legs work great as a suspension, but on long stretches, a full suspension would allow me to stay in the seat and go way faster. I was watching the girl I ride with with who bought a 10K Specialized full suspension, and she flies over those spots with ease. Her suspension takes all the beating, her 29" wheels make my 26" look gay leaving her with pushing it hard and me on a bad rollercoaster slamming around beating myself to death. She can go over a 8" curb by a simple lift off the seat. I have to jump it. And there are a few hill climes pretty steep, her 1x11 drivetrain allows her to go way harder than my bike. I can kill her when we road bike, but her FS bike is just WAY better and way more fun than mine to ride on the trails. I don't have $10,000 to spend on a Specialized Stump Jumper with the same gear I got on my Motobecane. She already calls my bike a Moto-be-can't. We will see. I think what I have and the trails we ride can give me the edge.

Her bike. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ext=93320-0402

What did the girl you ride with say when you told her that “Her suspension takes all the beating, her 29" wheels make my 26" look gay leaving her with pushing it hard and me on a bad rollercoaster slamming around beating myself to death.“? Did she agree, or did you have to reminder her that you “can kill her when we road bike, but her FS bike is just WAY better.”?

It sounds like you are really annoyed at the shop for pushing you to buy an expensive bike, but you really want one of those expensive bikes. So you got a better deal buying direct for one that also seems very good. Ok,
Hope it works out, and you can now do what your riding partner does on the trails.
Old 09-27-20, 11:06 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Exactly as I thought. A fit is super useful and quite important for any rider and any bike. To build a bike and get a Retül fitting for that price is a bargain and I would have jumped on it. Fits are usually much more expensive than that and their bike build rate is pretty cheap (though maybe on par for other shops in Houston). $40 is quite low and I wouldn't trust a carbon fiber bike even if the name is lifted from a defunct French brand to give it a sliver of faux-prestige. Maybe he is good and giving away time and money which is up to them but it is more than just throwing out some cardboard and putting pedals on no matter what the importer or manufacturer says. Very few boxed bikes come ready to ride and need a proper tune up. Especially on a full suspension bike of unknown origin.

Why would they want to get you a good deal on labor for a bike you bought online though? What is really in it for them? I generally wouldn't cut a break on labor as that is high margin for a shop. Parts maybe especially on a new bike purchased from the shop but random internet boxes not at all.
Yeah, being that I almost bought a bike from BikeBarn and talked to them a lot, they know me. I would be embarrassed to bring them my Motobecane...LOL Slowtwitch and Bicycles of South Side are two shops that are in business to do mechanical work not sell name brand bikes. So, I figured they would be good for assembly.
Old 09-28-20, 04:29 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Bikes in boxes are most often merely assembled, not built.

I'd say the difference is usually worth the money...
Old 09-28-20, 11:12 AM
hounslow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Please tell me this is a typo and it was 450 not 4500. We joke round here about the Specialized tax but wow.
Likes For hounslow:
Old 09-28-20, 05:45 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Originally Posted by hounslow
Please tell me this is a typo and it was 450 not 4500. We joke round here about the Specialized tax but wow.
I think it must be a typo. To be honest, I would have guessed that bike is much older too. And, on further inspection, I'm pretty sure that's a hybrid/town bike, not a mountain bike. But the photo isn't very sharp, so I may be wrong. OP, what Specialized is that? It's not a Rockhopper or Stumpjumper.
Old 09-28-20, 06:17 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Any basic hardtail with an 80mm fork, disk brakes, and capable of running 2.25 tires will blow the doors off that grocery getter. Brand wouldn't matter.

I don't hate Moto's and I'd buy one in the right situation, happily. I would worry about replacement parts on a FS but thats unfounded, since most people shop for a new bike every few years.

I know it's a different moto than this, but here's a picture from my living room.
Old 09-29-20, 01:42 AM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hounslow
I wish.
Old 09-29-20, 01:57 AM
mattcalifornia

I wish.
I honestly can't tell if this is a put-on. That's a Specialized Crossroads hybrid/city bike. It's not a mountain bike. It retailed for less than $350. **********???
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 09-29-20, 02:05 AM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think it must be a typo. To be honest, I would have guessed that bike is much older too. And, on further inspection, I'm pretty sure that's a hybrid/town bike, not a mountain bike. But the photo isn't very sharp, so I may be wrong. OP, what Specialized is that? It's not a Rockhopper or Stumpjumper.

It is a town bike. I started using it as a trail bike when Harvey killed the road bike trail in Houston. It came all decked out with a front rack a rear rack a suspension seat post large mirrors that attached to the end of the handle bars a lighting kit and a bike computer. AND, it was a Christmas gift for me to ride all over Houston, even to work. Not anything I would have picked out, but...
Old 09-29-20, 02:13 AM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I honestly can't tell if this is a put-on. That's a Specialized Crossroads hybrid/city bike. It's not a mountain bike. It retailed for less than $350. **********???
That is pretty funny because it certainly surprised me when I found out how much they paid. I am sorry, I should not have said "I" paid. I would have never paid that much and it is so cheap looking. But I am not exaggerating, I got it brand new at a Specialized shop in Houston. As I said in another post, It came all decked out with a front rack a rear rack a suspension seat post large mirrors that attached to the end of the handle bars a lighting kit and a bike computer.
Old 09-29-20, 02:30 AM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Any basic hardtail with an 80mm fork, disk brakes, and capable of running 2.25 tires will blow the doors off that grocery getter. Brand wouldn't matter.

I don't hate Moto's and I'd buy one in the right situation, happily. I would worry about replacement parts on a FS but thats unfounded, since most people shop for a new bike every few years.

I know it's a different moto than this, but here's a picture from my living room.
Yes, that is exactly what the old bike was intended to be, a grocery getter. Huge stupid baskets, mirrors I took them all off when I started riding trails. It was meant as a shoping bike for the Heights area. I never rode it to the store, but my brother-in-law used it more than his car.

I love that old school French made Motobecane.
Old 09-29-20, 05:01 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
For the riding you're doing, that bike will function just fine. Get it built properly, maintain it properly, and it will serve you well for a long time. Contact BD to see if you can get a bushing/bearing rebuild kit to have on hand in case you ever need it - it's relatively cheap and eventually you might wear our some of the linkage parts.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 09-29-20, 05:18 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Seems like a moot point since you have already ordered the bike.
That ^

Don't turn a prom date into a due date
Old 09-29-20, 10:41 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The geometry is a little dated, but that looks like a solid bike. The basic 4-bar suspension is off patent now, so Bikes Direct can offer a good suspension design without issue. The geometry and suspension design are probably similar to a Specialized from 5-6 years ago, it's not like it's a terrible design.
BikesDirect are somewhere in between Trek/Specialized/Giant and the generic open-mold Chinese frames. It's a US company, importing frames from reasonable suppliers, so they have deal with liability and support issues that the open-mold Chinese frames don't. BikesDirect has a long history, and for the money it's hard to beat the components.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 09-29-20, 01:24 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
The geometry is a little dated, but that looks like a solid bike. The basic 4-bar suspension is off patent now, so Bikes Direct can offer a good suspension design without issue. The geometry and suspension design are probably similar to a Specialized from 5-6 years ago, it's not like it's a terrible design.
BikesDirect are somewhere in between Trek/Specialized/Giant and the generic open-mold Chinese frames. It's a US company, importing frames from reasonable suppliers, so they have deal with liability and support issues that the open-mold Chinese frames don't. BikesDirect has a long history, and for the money it's hard to beat the components.

I was looking at these two. I know the Specialized is superior, but is it worth the price to me? I say no. Great bike, STUPID money. What "geometry" is 5 to 6 years old?
Likes For VernMoto:
Old 09-30-20, 07:12 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
The should shorten "MOTO" to "MT" then it would become MTBecane. A little more descriptive. It actually isn't that bad an idea for them.
Old 09-30-20, 07:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
The should shorten "MOTO" to "MT" then it would become MTBecane. A little more descriptive. It actually isn't that bad an idea for them.
Unlikely that they'd do that for the MTBs given that all their other models would still have "MOTOBECANE" decals.
Old 09-30-20, 11:23 AM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Unlikely that they'd do that for the MTBs given that all their other models would still have "MOTOBECANE" decals.
My (much richer) friends who spent the 5k to 10k on Specialized and Trek call it the Moto-be-can't. I don't think that is funny.
Likes For VernMoto:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.