Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless or Clincher

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless or Clincher

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 10:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
As mentioned, just depends on your needs. GP5000s and latex tubes are working great for me, zero flats for the last 10,000+ miles. But if I lived somewhere with goatheads or similar hazards, then I'd prob want tubeless.
Old 11-09-20, 01:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
pump, tube and 2 ounces of sealant in the bag, doubt i get stranded
with proper tubeless maintenance, you wouldn’t need to carry all that ****.
Old 11-09-20, 01:53 PM
d4vid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After getting a two flats in a row I went tubeless...
Old 11-09-20, 02:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by d4vid
After getting a two flats in a row I went tubeless...
That can happen with tubeless too.
Old 11-09-20, 02:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I like the ride and I got an indication that they roll faster, just yesterday. I started a descent that I've done many times and hit 51 mph quickly, where I've hit no more than 49 before and there wasn't a big tail wind pushing me.
A big tailwind isn't necessary. A 1 mph tailwind instead of a 1 mph headwind would be enough to get you from 49 mph to 51 mph.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-09-20, 02:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
That can happen with tubeless too.
"Can"? Sure, but it's exceptionally unlikely.
Old 11-09-20, 02:24 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by WhyFi
"Can"? Sure, but it's exceptionally unlikely.
Getting two punctures immediately after one another is not as unlikely as you think. It depends what you run, where you ride, and what is on the ground. A bike with tubes and perhaps a tyre liner is also very unlikely to get two punctures immediately after one another. It is usually because something is still in the tyre, causing the second puncture. Or you have a frigged up rim tape situation.
I have had two punctures after another both on a motorcycle and in a car - both tubeless. Both caused by debris. Not fun, but that doesn't mean it is because they were tubeless and that I have now switched to tubed tyres on cars or motorcycles. I have also had a complete loss of air on a tubeless tyre all of a sudden - the tyre had a manufacturing defect. Should those things mean I should switch to tubed tyres?
Old 11-09-20, 03:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Hmmm, one flat and done. More to consider. With clinchers I can count on flats coming in three's. One right after the other in quick succession, then none for several years. There was another thread on tubular where the op had only flatted twice in quick succession. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...e-what-do.html

This is making tubeless more and more a plus if the superstition of bad stuff happening in threes doesn't apply to them.

As for two punctures or more..... who cares if the sealant does what it's supposed to do for the tire. Which is not flat when punctured.
Old 11-09-20, 03:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
If that's how frequently you replenish the sealant, you're gonna have a bad time.
Sealant might last almost that long in humid Jacksonville. Even after it dries up it'll probably take a few months to find something sharp on a trail to put a hole in the tire
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 11-09-20, 03:21 PM
WhyFi

Getting two punctures immediately after one another is not as unlikely as you think. It depends what you run, where you ride, and what is on the ground. A bike with tubes and perhaps a tyre liner is also very unlikely to get two punctures immediately after one another. It is usually because something is still in the tyre, causing the second puncture. Or you have a frigged up rim tape situation.
I have had two punctures after another both on a motorcycle and in a car - both tubeless. Both caused by debris. Not fun, but that doesn't mean it is because they were tubeless and that I have now switched to tubed tyres on cars or motorcycles. I have also had a complete loss of air on a tubeless tyre all of a sudden - the tyre had a manufacturing defect. Should those things mean I should switch to tubed tyres?
Motorcycles and cars? I'm going to assume that you've got no relevant experience to share and move along, but suffice it to say that consecutive flats - as opposed to punctures - with properly set up and maintained road tubeless tires would be exceptionally rare, much more so than with a tubed set-up.
Old 11-09-20, 03:31 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Motorcycles and cars? I'm going to assume that you've got no relevant experience to share and move along, but suffice it to say that consecutive flats - as opposed to punctures - with properly set up and maintained road tubeless tires would be exceptionally rare, much more so than with a tubed set-up.
It's called an analogy. I could also have mentioned throwing out the baby with the bath water, but that might have made your head explode.
Old 11-09-20, 03:38 PM
WhyFi

It's called an analogy.
It's called talking out of one's keister and your "that can happen with tubeless, too," is called false equivalence.
Old 11-09-20, 03:42 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

It's called talking out of one's keister and your "that can happen with tubeless, too," is called false equivalence.
Sure. You don't understand even simple concepts or analogies such as "throwing out the baby with the bath water". I guess getting two flats and use that as reason to abandon tubed (or tubeless) tyres entirely is not over the top in your world. I knew there was a reason I had put you on ignore. You truly are a gem.
Old 11-09-20, 04:00 PM
WhyFi

Sure. You don't understand even simple concepts or analogies such as "throwing out the baby with the bath water". I guess getting two flats and use that as reason to abandon tubed (or tubeless) tyres entirely is not over the top in your world. I knew there was a reason I had put you on ignore. You truly are a gem.
And you don't seem to understand that I'm not weighing in on whether or not he's justified in switching over to tubeless - I'm pointing out that your "that can happen with tubeless, too" comment is a false equivalence that smacks of ignorance.
Old 11-09-20, 04:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

And you don't seem to understand that I'm not weighing in on whether or not he's justified in switching over to tubeless - I'm pointing out that your "that can happen with tubeless, too" comment is a false equivalence that smacks of ignorance.
The only thing that "smacks of ignorance" are your constant attempts to start a fight based on your own ignorance. Two words: Dunning. Kruger.
Old 11-09-20, 04:09 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Danpennyuk
I have a Giant TCR Advanced 1. It comes with tubeless tyres as standard. I’m upgrading to carbon wheels and debating whether to switch over to Continental GP5000 tyres. Should I?
If you had tubeless and were happy, why not get tubeless carbon wheels and run tubeless GP5000's? They are great tires.
Old 11-09-20, 04:12 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Iride01
This is making tubeless more and more a plus if the superstition of bad stuff happening in threes doesn't apply to them.
Even if tubeless tires are immune to the "Law of Threes", they would still be subject to Murphy's Law which, in this case, would be "Anything immune to the Law of Threes will suffer from the "Corollary of Quatro."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-09-20, 04:14 PM
WhyFi

The only thing that "smacks of ignorance" are your constant attempts to start a fight based on your own ignorance. Two words: Dunning. Kruger.

Now I remember you - you're they guy that kept harping on the shortcomings of the Varia when it was plain that you'd never touched one. Now you're harping about the shortcomings of something else with which you clearly have no practical experience! Given that, it's hilariously meta that you're calling others ignorant and invoking the Dunning-Kruger effect. Kudos!

edited to add: since you have nothing of substance to add, I'll take my leave, now. Ta ta.

Last edited by WhyFi; 11-09-20 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 04:24 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Haha, you're still trying hard to show just how little you are able to grasp. Well done, you. I will see you the next time you try to start a fight by finding something you can attach your ignorance to, believing you're somehow making some profound point.
Old 11-10-20, 01:47 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
GP5000s with latex tubes work really really well for me and puncture extremely rarely. That said, after installing tubeless Vittoria Corsa Speeds on my wife's TT bike which was surprisingly easy, I'm tempted to make the switch when my stack of GP5000s get worn down if no problems crop up with those.

The biggest reason I'm considering switching is that it is bloody hard to mount GP5000s on my rims and often when replacing the tube it gets pinched despite my best efforts.

Last edited by Branko D; 11-10-20 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-10-20, 11:19 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Personally I always rode clinchers with tubes. If you invest in a good tubed clincher, I dont really see the point of tubeless with the sealant and headache of changing them. Now on the other hand, the mountain bike i purchased came with True Tubeless wheels and tires, and they ride great. Although I have not had to change them yet, soooo, Im dreading doing that. But the giant tires on this bikes makes me think I wont be changing for a long long time. Bottom line, I think if your rims come tubeless, go for it.
Old 11-10-20, 11:41 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Danpennyuk
I have a Giant TCR Advanced 1. It comes with tubeless tyres as standard. I’m upgrading to carbon wheels and debating whether to switch over to Continental GP5000 tyres. Should I?
My experience with 3 years of tubeless is that you get less flats such as a goats head of a small wire shed off a steel belted tire with a worn out tread but when you DO get a larger hold flat they can be an incredible pain in the butt. I am an engineer, mechanic and bike builder and so don't hesitate to attempt roadside repairs. You can carry tubeless plugs and in general they will work but usually a hole large enough to need a plug will damage the tire and you have to limp home and replace the tire.

I have returned to straight clinchers after 3 years and have no intentions of returning tubeless since I can again change a tire in 10 minutes along side of the road and go again rather than messing about for an hour and ending up with goo all over me.

As for the Continental GP5000TL's, they have marvelous traction, so good that your bike will wander around the road with changes in road traction. They corner like nothing else I've used. But they are expensive and they wear out rapidly because of that great traction. If you are racing by all means use them, but unless you have a well paying job I would avoid them. Continental 4 Seasons is a good training tire, they are more flat resistant than the Gatorskin and they wear very well. But they too cost an utter fortune. I have been using Vittoria Corsa G+ or 2.0 clinchers and am happy with the wear and directional stability. But I am sort of a special case. I have had a severe concussion and have no sense of balance so I have to rely on the bike to balance itself. Directional stability is a large plus for me.
Old 11-11-20, 03:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A big tailwind isn't necessary. A 1 mph tailwind instead of a 1 mph headwind would be enough to get you from 49 mph to 51 mph.
Yes, but I've ridden the same descent with a big tail wind and that's how I got to 49. We can always depend on your nitpicking.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-11-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 04:13 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Yes, but I've ridden the same descent with a big tail wind and that's how I got to 49. We can always depend on your nitpicking.
[...]a descent that I've done many times and hit 51 mph quickly, where I've hit no more than 49 before and there wasn't a big tail wind pushing me.
Yeah, not buying it that you had a "big tail wind" to get to 49, but a shift to tubeless where there "wasn't a big tail wind" suddenly makes you able to go 51 mph. If that is true, then something else was going on.
Old 11-11-20, 07:07 PM
tomato coupe

At those speeds, rolling resistance is a small fraction of aerodynamic drag. Tubeless tires, even if they had zero rolling resistance, aren't going to give you a bigger benefit than a strong tailwind.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.