Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Traded a Marantz 4270 stereo for a 1974 Schwinn 5 Speed Stingray - Is it real/legit?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Traded a Marantz 4270 stereo for a 1974 Schwinn 5 Speed Stingray - Is it real/legit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 05:14 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
No expert but pretty sure this is the real deal, not a "krate" model and no stick shift but looks to all original and in good shape so.....

I think you did good but not sure I would have traded the Marantz for it, I remember them and would love to have one now.
Which model receiver would you like to have? Are you good with any electronics refurbishment or repairs?

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Absolutely would have kept the Marantz. A collectable receiver that has use beyond being a collectible.

I've got a 2325 and 2238.

Stereo April 2020 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
Nice Pioneer and Sansui Receivers too plus Rectilinear speakers.

Originally Posted by cranky old road
I don't get this fascination with recent Marantz audio equipment
Yeah, them old Marantz model 7T (first transistor preamp) and model 8/8B tube amps are sooo obsolete these days. Nice that you have the cage with it. Tough to find original Mullard or Amperex 6CA7/EL34's though.

For anyone here who is interested in vintage audio beside vintage bikes, hop on down to Audiokarma.org. You'll find some very very like minded vintage gear folks who love to discuss audio, gear, media, and everything else under the sun.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/

They even have a dedicated Marantz forum:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ntz-audio.134/

You'll find me usually posting in the Lansing Legacy forum because I collect big JBL studio monitors along with Marantz gear and many other audio pieces along with vintage bikes.

Bart
Old 01-29-21, 08:02 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Which model receiver would you like to have? Are you good with any electronics refurbishment or repairs?

Yeah, them old Marantz model 7T (first transistor preamp) and model 8/8B tube amps are sooo obsolete these days. Nice that you have the cage with it. Tough to find original Mullard or Amperex 6CA7/EL34's though.

For anyone here who is interested in vintage audio beside vintage bikes, hop on down to Audiokarma.org. You'll find some very very like minded vintage gear folks who love to discuss audio, gear, media, and everything else under the sun.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/

They even have a dedicated Marantz forum:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ntz-audio.134/

You'll find me usually posting in the Lansing Legacy forum because I collect big JBL studio monitors along with Marantz gear and many other audio pieces along with vintage bikes.

Bart
Thanks for the links. I am a Dynaco (tube), KLH 6, Dual 1229 & AR TT owner/refurbisher.
Old 01-29-21, 06:12 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts

Thank you!

I got an EARLY set of Rectilinear IIIs. Love'em. Some people complain about all kinds of things about them- I think they're great.

Rectilinear Grille Badge by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-29-21, 07:13 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Bart
Looks like a great forum.
I'd like my modest, late 70's JVC amp with the 5 band EQ and funky style. 35w a side?. Short story, It literally fell 6 feet onto asphalt one evening and landed perfectly flush, upside down. Thwack.
Worked fine for several more years until the late 80's. RIP.

Last edited by clubman; 01-29-21 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-30-21, 08:55 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 193 Posts
KLH 4 speakers, Thorens 124 with an SME tonearm and Shure V15 type II cartridge along with the Marantz junk. All inherited from my late father who had excellent taste and discernment. I haven't bothered setting up the Harman Kardon 330B receiver; who needs radio when an extensive collection of jazz records played at 3/4 of a gram is part of the inheritance to go along with the 60's and 70's rock records I always played on my long gone AR turntable? Has all been very helpful during the stay-at-home.
Old 01-31-21, 06:53 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I'd like my modest, late 70's JVC amp with the 5 band EQ and funky style. 35w a side?. Short story, It literally fell 6 feet onto asphalt one evening and landed perfectly flush, upside down. Thwack.

Who says you can't go back home?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-JR-S300...wAAOSwggRf5RqK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serviced-JV...QAAOSwCH9fTk7~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JVC...UAAOSwV1xfLsNK

Originally Posted by dmark
Thanks for the links. I am a Dynaco (tube), KLH 6, Dual 1229 & AR TT owner/refurbisher.
Check out Marc Morin (RIP) and his posts on AR turntable modifications on Audiokarma. A true innovator for AR turntables and Grado cartridges. Sadly, he passed away recently from Cancer.
Old 02-05-21, 08:45 PM
SteelBanana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here is an excellent source of information on old Schwinns: schwinnbikeforum - Index

Scroll down to "Muscle Bikes." You may have to make a few posts before you can post photos, so you may be limited to a verbal description.
Old 02-06-21, 09:14 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069
The bike sold on Ebay for $850, good trade.
Not bad. But I think with some minor corrective work, pot deoxit, adjust vent mesh, wood scratch touch-up, OP could've pulled upwards of $1200-1400 on the Marantz on eBay. As long as no re-capping was necessary, that 4270 is a diamond.

I think I'm conflicted, as I think others in here are, because this touches on two of my passions: Vintage bikes and vintage audio. I think what many in this thread are struggling with as much as I am is the realization I'd actually install and use and enjoy the 4270, whereas I could never use the bike. IMO the rarity of that Marantz is exponentially higher than the Stingray, I know which way I would've gone with it and see others agree.

Still, this is no slight on you, OP. You had a plan, and probably turned a $775 profit after listing fees, time, et cetera. You got lowballed on the receiver but didn't take it personally, you turned that lemon into lemonade with the bike trade, then fetched $50 more money than you originally offered the Marantz for without lifting a finger in repairs anywhere. If profit and putting your hands on pristine vintage gold was the goal, you crushed it!

Old 02-06-21, 12:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I am no audiophile but I might have kept the stereo. All I have now is a little Luxman and it gets lonely (Interwebs pic)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-21, 01:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am no audiophile but I might have kept the stereo. All I have now is a little Luxman...
One of the audio stores that I worked at back in the 80's sold those. We called them Suckface. Nice stuff. It's a shame about that faceplate chip.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-06-21, 06:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
One of the audio stores that I worked at back in the 80's sold those. We called them Suckface. Nice stuff. It's a shame about that faceplate chip.

it this, thank it isn’t mine. BTW it’s hooked to some vintage’80s early ‘90s Bose 201s and 301s.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-21, 06:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
it this, thank it isn’t mine. BTW it’s hooked to some vintage’80s early ‘90s Bose 201s and 301s.
We sold those Bose speakers at that time, as well.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-07-21, 08:41 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
It is entirely beyond my comprehension that anyone would trade that extremely high quality piece of audio equipment for an obsolete bicycle. I thought all day about this, and I tried to just let it go because different strokes, etc.

But no. It was wrong.
Funny how perception depends upon what one values.

It would be just as reasonable (or unreasonable) to say " It is entirely beyond my comprehension that anyone would trade that iconic bicycle in great condition for an obsolete piece of stereo equipment. I thought all day about this, and I tried to just let it go because different strokes, etc. But no. It was wrong."

That's what's great about a trade like this -- ideally both parties feel that they have done well based on their own interests and values. It's the definition of a win-win!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 02-07-21, 01:29 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
Funny how perception depends upon what one values.

It would be just as reasonable (or unreasonable) to say " It is entirely beyond my comprehension that anyone would trade that iconic bicycle in great condition for an obsolete piece of stereo equipment. I thought all day about this, and I tried to just let it go because different strokes, etc. But no. It was wrong."

That's what's great about a trade like this -- ideally both parties feel that they have done well based on their own interests and values. It's the definition of a win-win!
You have made a fair and logical argument with which I can find no fault. Apparently I have become small minded in my old age. I guess that one ride I took on my little brother's "Stingray-like" (not sure what brand or model) bike when we were kids must have scarred my opinion of that design. I'm a bike snob, it seems. Thanks for pointing it out so politely.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 02-07-21, 04:25 PM
JulesCW 

You have made a fair and logical argument with which I can find no fault. Apparently I have become small minded in my old age. I guess that one ride I took on my little brother's "Stingray-like" (not sure what brand or model) bike when we were kids must have scarred my opinion of that design. I'm a bike snob, it seems. Thanks for pointing it out so politely.

And thank you for your gracious reply... I must admit that old kids bikes are not my cup of tea either, nor are old audio components. Bike snobbery lives in my soul as well -- I sometimes take deep pleasure in feeling morally superior to those who are not enlightened enough to share my viewpoints on what makes a great bike. I've also aged into that old guy who used to come into the bike shop I worked in 40 years ago saying "back when I was your age...." Ha!
Old 02-07-21, 05:45 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by JulesCW
And thank you for your gracious reply... I must admit that old kids bikes are not my cup of tea either, nor are old audio components. Bike snobbery lives in my soul as well -- I sometimes take deep pleasure in feeling morally superior to those who are not enlightened enough to share my viewpoints on what makes a great bike. I've also aged into that old guy who used to come into the bike shop I worked in 40 years ago saying "back when I was your age...." Ha!
Dude, you and me should hang out. There is riding to discuss, and riding, with the occasional discussion of bicycle build particulars, and whatever other things we may find small points upon which to disagree. I wish I had worked in a bike shop. I'm booked for a bike tour of the MI Cherry Coast next summer. What kind of alcohol do you drink?
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 02-07-21, 05:53 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

I'm booked for a bike tour of the MI Cherry Coast next summer.
That's a pretty area of the state.

Old 02-07-21, 06:28 PM
JulesCW 

Dude, you and me should hang out. There is riding to discuss, and riding, with the occasional discussion of bicycle build particulars, and whatever other things we may find small points upon which to disagree. I wish I had worked in a bike shop. I'm booked for a bike tour of the MI Cherry Coast next summer. What kind of alcohol do you drink?
That's a very pretty region. We toured there a few years ago -- sun dappled roads through shady woods with peeks of the lake, lots of roadside stands with blueberries, cherries, apricots... I felt that the only thing that would have made it better was if it had the Belgian tradition of local fruit lambic beers brewed in every town. I enjoy beer, but not usually fruity beer -- but summer biking and good light fruit beers just seem to go together, although a good stout in the afternoon or evening works well, too.
Old 02-07-21, 07:30 PM
DeadGrandpa

That's a pretty area of the state.
We're really looking forward to seeing the area. I sign up for the pedaling, but seeing the scenery and supporting local businesses are the greatest bonuses, making the miles so much more rewarding.
Old 02-07-21, 08:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Many wonderful wineries around there, as well.

Old 02-07-21, 08:08 PM
DeadGrandpa

Many wonderful wineries around there, as well.
I didn't think I had said, "wine" out loud. Dang.
Old 02-07-21, 08:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman

We had the Marantz, and then that ^^^.

I inherited the JVC but one channel went out and I ditched it.

The tuning dial on the Marantz was like the fly-wheel on my fluid trainer.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-07-21, 09:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
@mech986

Sorry for the late reply, glad you asked but......

No electro repair skills, couldn't get them to stick aside from a little soldering and pathetic multimeter skills from being an electronic engine control tech for fomoco, never could get it to translate to much else except basic troubleshooting at the dragstrip as well.

I wouldn't know what to ask for, back in my HS days we had a buddy? nut job electronics wiz, he was way smarter than our electro teacher and a huge PITA.

They didn't know what to do with him and he really ran with that, he was a bike nut too so we hung out a lot.

He got us kicked out of all the good stereo shops for pile driving the poor salesman that didn't really know how to do a deep dive on specs and couldn't back up any of their rudimentary number discussions, arguments, etc., my buddy was ruthless. We had a lot of fun and again, huge PITA.

I knew some about it back then, got nothing now, remember Marantz and Mcintosh in the main sound rooms and feebly knowing that they were pretty much the top for mere mortals at the time, late 70's, guess I thought they were the Merz of audio world.

Last edited by merziac; 02-07-21 at 09:21 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-10-21, 12:10 PM
miamibeachcg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Stunning!