Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Taint issues - long lasting

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-19-21, 01:50 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I'm a guy and had taint pain/issues come up last fall where I had to totally stop riding. It wasn't really pain, just a pretty uncomfortable sensation especially after the ride even for a few days after. I was riding on average a good 10 hours a week for a couple of years (less through the winter). So I gave it a break from riding back in October when all this began and have ridden maybe 5 or so times since then. I visited a local shop back in November (the owner of the shop who helped me is a former pro Czech cyclist) who look at me sitting on my bike and definitely said my seat had been way too high all that time. So we adjusted it down of course. And I did a few rides since then but the issue came back, not as bad as in the fall, but it was there, a bit. The feeling after a ride is like if someone grazed or slightly hit my balls and that feeling lasting a couple of days, slightly. It's super annoying but does go away. Back in the fall, I guess when my saddle was way too high, the issue/pain was much worse, hence why I totally stopped riding for many weeks. I even visited a urologist but all down there was totally fine. Anyway, I'm ready to get back on my bike and hope to ride again, like 10 or more hours a week but I'm honestly afraid. Now I'm thinking it's the size of the saddle (fixing the height may have been the 1st problem). I have a feeling the saddle I'm using may be putting too much pressure on my taint (soft tissue there) as I'm riding all those hours and not on the sit bones enough. Any advice on buying a new saddle and how the sizing works exactly? With the sit bones? We've had ridiculous Covid closures where I am for months and months and the bike fitting guys cant work, so who knows when that'll ever end. But I am really starting to think I have a poorly sized saddle, simply not the size to support my sit bones. Instead, the pressure on those long rides is on my damn taint. Uggg. Sucks having to go through all this. I just wanna ride!! Sorry for the annoying rant...
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 02-19-21, 03:38 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Sounds like you addressed the height (too high saddles increase saddle pressure). I would try a wider saddle which also tends to decrease pressure - to properly support the backside you want it wider than the sit bones (in your riding position).

I also find it really comfortable to use a short nosed saddle which I angle slightly down and ​​​​lower the front end, but you can go overboard with that and put a bit too much weight on your hands or exceed your flexibility, if you go overboard with it.

Some weeks off may be needed and then taking it easy despite the changes to get everything to heal up properly.

Everything is easier if you're lighter so there's that, too.

​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 02-19-21 at 03:42 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 02-19-21, 04:11 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Branko D
Sounds like you addressed the height (too high saddles increase saddle pressure). I would try a wider saddle which also tends to decrease pressure - to properly support the backside you want it wider than the sit bones (in your riding position).

I also find it really comfortable to use a short nosed saddle which I angle slightly down and ​​​​lower the front end, but you can go overboard with that and put a bit too much weight on your hands or exceed your flexibility, if you go overboard with it.

Some weeks off may be needed and then taking it easy despite the changes to get everything to heal up properly.

Everything is easier if you're lighter so there's that, too.

​​​​​
Thanks for the reply and advice. Yah, need to find a new seat. just need help in sizing it properly..
Old 02-19-21, 04:37 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Over time I've used the "trial and error" method, suffering through the "errors" while "trialing" quite a few different saddles.

At least it's not difficult to sell on a nearly-new saddle on eBay.

I've settled on a San Marco Monza "wide" saddle, it measures 145mm - it was an option on a Planet X bike I bought in August, and it worked really well, so I bought a second (for another bike that I've always had saddle issues with). 10mm seems like it'd be a big difference to me, but oddly, the San Marco Concor I have on a third bike is 135mm and feels fine. Go figure.

This might be helpful, the San Marco catalogue defines their "narrow", "wide", "open fit", "full fit", "waved", "flat" etc.

https://issuu.com/bttlobo/docs/catal...san_marco_2019
Old 02-19-21, 05:19 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
I'm a guy and had taint pain/issues come up last fall where I had to totally stop riding. It wasn't really pain, just a pretty uncomfortable sensation especially after the ride even for a few days after. I was riding on average a good 10 hours a week for a couple of years (less through the winter). So I gave it a break from riding back in October when all this began and have ridden maybe 5 or so times since then. I visited a local shop back in November (the owner of the shop who helped me is a former pro Czech cyclist) who look at me sitting on my bike and definitely said my seat had been way too high all that time. So we adjusted it down of course. And I did a few rides since then but the issue came back, not as bad as in the fall, but it was there, a bit. The feeling after a ride is like if someone grazed or slightly hit my balls and that feeling lasting a couple of days, slightly. It's super annoying but does go away. Back in the fall, I guess when my saddle was way too high, the issue/pain was much worse, hence why I totally stopped riding for many weeks. I even visited a urologist but all down there was totally fine. Anyway, I'm ready to get back on my bike and hope to ride again, like 10 or more hours a week but I'm honestly afraid. Now I'm thinking it's the size of the saddle (fixing the height may have been the 1st problem). I have a feeling the saddle I'm using may be putting too much pressure on my taint (soft tissue there) as I'm riding all those hours and not on the sit bones enough. Any advice on buying a new saddle and how the sizing works exactly? With the sit bones? We've had ridiculous Covid closures where I am for months and months and the bike fitting guys cant work, so who knows when that'll ever end. But I am really starting to think I have a poorly sized saddle, simply not the size to support my sit bones. Instead, the pressure on those long rides is on my damn taint. Uggg. Sucks having to go through all this. I just wanna ride!! Sorry for the annoying rant...
my saddles of choice
Flite

Fizik
​​​#happy taint
others tried = the unhappy taint.pain in the heynanny region is not fun or healthy...
Old 02-19-21, 05:54 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Is your saddle level? Try tilting it down. A lot if necessary.

Helps immensely.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-19-21, 06:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Start off with shorter rides of 1-2 hours. Remember to stand up for 10 seconds every few minutes.
Old 02-19-21, 08:04 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Is your saddle level? Try tilting it down. A lot if necessary.

Helps immensely.
Yah, it's slightly down. Guess I can try and angle it even more but then I do read that can cause issues with weight/pressure on arms/hands..no?
Old 02-19-21, 08:05 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
my saddles of choice
Flite

Fizik
​​​#happy taint
others tried = the unhappy taint.pain in the heynanny region is not fun or healthy...
Im confused..so you recommend a saddle called Flight? or also one of the Fizik ones?
Old 02-19-21, 08:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
It almost sounds like you might have pulled a groin muscle. I did it bad once. Every time I stepped on my right foot, felt like I got kicked in the balls. I was on crutches for two weeks, and it took another 6 to 8 weeks to really heal.

You might want to look into getting a proper bike fit, from someone who specializes in it - not just the shop owner. There are a few good ones and a whole lot of mediocre ones. So you might want to ask around to find a good one. Depending on where you live, I might know someone.
Old 02-19-21, 09:17 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Im confused..so you recommend a saddle called Flight? or also one of the Fizik ones?
yes.
both fit my buttocks well.
expensive but a healthy taint = priceless
Old 02-19-21, 09:40 AM
big john

Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
It's "Flite" and it's the name of a series of saddles from Selle Italia. Lots of different saddles named Flite.
It doesn't matter what anyone else uses. Nothing on a bike is more personal than the seat. What works for me might not work for you, no matter how much it costs.

I have found that a saddle might feel good when you first sit on it but after a few hours on the road it's miserable. It's trial and error.

Have you tried a saddle with a cut-out? They are made to relieve pressure there.

Our collection of bike saddles | Selle Italia
Likes For big john:
Old 02-19-21, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
How much to you accept the correct riding position on your road bike? If you are one of those that like to sit up, then you will probably always have an issue unless you make the leap to recumbents. On a road bike you can get a wider comfortable saddle for sitting upright, but you likely won't be comfortable on it for anything but short rides.

You bones narrow up as you roll your pelvis forward. This helps give you support on a correctly fitted road bike saddle so you don't entirely smash those soft tissues of your taint. If you aren't allowing your pelvis to roll forward when you get aero, then you aren't taking advantage of your own body's design that the saddle maker is counting on.

Not sure about what you described and how your testicles fit into the problem. They should be out of the way unless you have them so smashed in way too tight shorts that they can't move out of the way.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-19-21 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 11:33 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yah, it's slightly down. Guess I can try and angle it even more but then I do read that can cause issues with weight/pressure on arms/hands..no?
Not if your reach is set up well.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-19-21, 11:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Try an SMP saddle. Read how to select the right width at their website. Standard or thicker padding, no minimal padding model.

I use the stratos.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-20-21, 06:57 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I love this saddle...

ISM Adamo road saddle
Old 02-20-21, 06:59 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Oh... and it’s your perineum.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 02-20-21, 08:26 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I like my San Marcos Apside with the cutouts. I used to have some pain there. Not anymore.

I got a phony one of AliExpress to make sure I liked them and it’s a damn good copy of the genuine ones I got later. I kept the cheap one on my rain bike and it’s held up. Mostly. 25$ can’t complain
Old 02-20-21, 02:31 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
I had a similar issue and tilting the nose slightly down (and I mean ever so slightly) fixed the problem. If you're already slightly nose down then the source of your discomfort could be saddle shape and/or width.

Trying multiple saddles in search of one that works can be an expensive proposition, especially if you don't know your sit bone width. I'd recommend that you first measure your sit bones and then look at saddles that are designed for your preferred riding position (i.e. aggressive racing position, relaxed cruising or commute position or somewhere in between). For any given sit bone width the width of the saddle will increase as your position becomes more upright/relaxed and will decrease as your position becomes more agressive.

For example, my sit bone width is roughly 10.5 cm. On a road bike (more aggressive riding position) I fit comfortably on a 142mm saddle, on a touring bike I ride a 156mm saddle, and on a cruiser (very relaxed/upright position) I can be happy anywhere between 180mm and 210mm.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 02-20-21, 07:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
As much fun as the hairy taint talk is ... know that a lot of bike shops and companies have generous saddle trial and return policies because this is so personal. I could tell you what saddle I think is comfortable but unless you're going to use my ass when you ride it it doesn't matter to you what I think is great. Go out and try as many as you can get your sweaty butt cheeks on. When you find the right one, ride it like you stole it.
Old 02-21-21, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
As much fun as the hairy taint talk is ... know that a lot of bike shops and companies have generous saddle trial and return policies because this is so personal. I could tell you what saddle I think is comfortable but unless you're going to use my ass when you ride it it doesn't matter to you what I think is great. Go out and try as many as you can get your sweaty butt cheeks on. When you find the right one, ride it like you stole it.
And consider buying several, if you might get more bikes. Your favorite saddle might be discontinued, and you'll be stuck going through the process all over again.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-21, 08:17 AM
eaglesandcycling

Thx for all the replies and info here!
Old 02-22-21, 08:19 AM
eaglesandcycling

I'm leaning towards buying the Fizik Tempo Argo R3 or R5 online. Where I am, covid has kept things closed for months and months and probably will be closed for many more months, so I have no way to visit a shop and speak to a specialist or someone to help me.
Old 02-22-21, 11:16 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
So I had some similar issues as well. Not as much pain, but more of a discomfort and numbing sensation down in the perineum region through the balls and the back of hamstring area connecting to the butt. So I tried this saddle, Pro Stealth LTD (142mm). Its on Amazon with free returns, so I had nothing to lose. Its got a shorter nose and a wider contact area in the back. So far, a much improved feel over my last saddle, which was like a generic Specialized saddle so not much to compare to, but definitely made a difference. After reading some of these replies, I am going to experiment with tilting the saddle more forward as well. It just feels like the right move intuitively.
Old 02-24-21, 07:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Oh... and it’s your perineum.
It taint😌
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.