Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Very New. Should I buy this bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 12:02 PM
DylanWaller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NO MORE ADVICE NEEDED. Thank you!

Hello! I'm 5' 9 and 350 pounds. I want to give biking a try, but at this point will most likely just be peddling around town on flat ground, or maybe on flat packed bike trails. Found a trek hybrid/commuter 7300 multitrack bike on craigslist for $300. (Wish I could post a link, but I'm not allowed to since I'm new to the forum.) Is it suitable for starting out, or will I crush it? Additionally, should I buy a different seat for it?

Thank you for any help! (And my apologies if I sound like I know nothing about bikes! That is definitely the case.)

Last edited by DylanWaller; 03-24-21 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 12:17 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Sounds like a decent bike. A lot depends on condition and the year. That model was made between 2000 and 2012, so it is between 21 and 9 years old, which is fine. But condition is key. Was this bike ridden hard, or has it been hanging in a garage or basement the last 10 years? And has it been well maintained? But if the answer is yes, then offer the seller $200 and see what he says.
Old 03-24-21, 12:23 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Frames and forks and most moving parts are tough enough to handle very heavy riders. The primary weakness will be the wheels, especially the rear - machine built wheels will often lose spoke tension over time, and then the spokes will start failing soon after. Since it is a used bike, you don't know what sort of use or abuse the bike has seen, so the wheels might not last too long. My suggestion would be to buy the bike if it fits (you probably want a M size or so), and ride, but be ready to buy a new rear wheel, or have the existing wheel relaced with new spokes by a knowledgeable wheel builder.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-24-21, 12:52 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Frames and forks and most moving parts are tough enough to handle very heavy riders. The primary weakness will be the wheels, especially the rear - machine built wheels will often lose spoke tension over time, and then the spokes will start failing soon after. Since it is a used bike, you don't know what sort of use or abuse the bike has seen, so the wheels might not last too long. My suggestion would be to buy the bike if it fits (you probably want a M size or so), and ride, but be ready to buy a new rear wheel, or have the existing wheel relaced with new spokes by a knowledgeable wheel builder.
You don't even need to weigh 350 lbs to need the services of a good wheelbuilder. I am more like 250, and have had to replace the back wheels on my current bike as well as my previous bike. On my 1997 Bianchi, I was popping spokes every week. The shop agreed to rebuild the wheel and replace all the spokes, effectively making me a handbuilt wheel that lasted a good 20 years. On my current bike, a Salsa Casserol, the back wheel lasted a bit longer, maybe 2 years before I ran into trouble and had to have a wheel built for me. Wheels is one of those areas the bike companies save money building wheels that are just good enough for some, but not all riders.

Agree it is hard to tell without even a picture, let alone an inspection of the bike. Some bikes have hard lives, having been passed from one person, to another, to another. Maybe it was used as a commuter in an area with harsh winters. Or left out all winter by some college kid. Or maybe some person bought it in 2010 with some vague idea of trying out some cycling, rode it once or twice, and hung it in a garage for the last 11 years. Now that would be a find.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-24-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 01:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
MRT2 MY experience has been you don't even need to be a larger than average person - I have had customers who were small people (>150lbs) who started popping spokes after a couple months of regular riding on the machine built wheels off a big name brand bike.

The thing to remember is that broken spokes are not a safety issue - worst case Ontario is that the wheel is so out of true it is getting stuck on the brakes or (worse) frame, and you need a ride home.
Old 03-24-21, 03:45 PM
DylanWaller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you folks! Sadly it looks like the bike is no longer available anyway. I'm disappointed but will keep looking.
Old 03-25-21, 09:29 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Another piece of advice- with the shortage of bikes if you find a bike you like and fits be ready to move on it right away. Especially if you get one for $300.
Likes For starkmojo:
Old 04-03-21, 10:12 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by DylanWaller
Thank you folks! Sadly it looks like the bike is no longer available anyway. I'm disappointed but will keep looking.
As you learned, good bikes at a fair price go quickly. If you make more comments on other posts you will be able to post a link.

If you post from CL, it is helpful to post a picture, price and description so the thread will be useful after the ad is removed. Helps people know what the market is doing.