Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding on the yellow plague

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-02-21, 11:59 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

Those of y'all in heavily pollen-plagued areas ... we're really suffering in Atlanta. There's pollen all over the roads. I'm looking for someone with experience in this. When it's just pollen on the road or on the trail, is it slick? And when it's wet pollen because it's over a wet road or it's been rained on--is THAT slick? I was riding yesterday and was tempted to do some quick manuevers on the deposits of yellow plague, just to see, but thought I'd be better off braving the inevitable trolls here than braving the hard pavement out there.
Old 04-02-21, 01:24 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Those of y'all in heavily pollen-plagued areas ... we're really suffering in Atlanta. There's pollen all over the roads. I'm looking for someone with experience in this. When it's just pollen on the road or on the trail, is it slick? And when it's wet pollen because it's over a wet road or it's been rained on--is THAT slick? I was riding yesterday and was tempted to do some quick manuevers on the deposits of yellow plague, just to see, but thought I'd be better off braving the inevitable trolls here than braving the hard pavement out there.
It’s fine. Not slick
Old 04-02-21, 01:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I haven't notice it being slick. It just makes riding terrible with a head full of crud.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-02-21, 02:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Slide out on someone's snot rockets.... I got trapped one year riding on the lower part of the Natchez Trace Pkwy. Pine pollen blowing around so thick it reduced visibility. Ugh.
Old 04-02-21, 04:55 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Never seen any effect on roads. Most dramatic biological phenomenon I ever rode in was huge plagues of gypsy moth caterpillars in New England. The underside of the bike would come back covered in green crust. I was running during the last Brood X Cicada hatch, but this one may be interesting.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-02-21, 05:56 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Not nearly as slick as that wet white paint line on the side of the road.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 04-25-21, 08:18 PM
mendy328

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you road cyclists like to ride in the Atlanta area? I have a friend that lives in Powder Springs and isn't sure where to ride safely other than the Comet Trail.
Old 04-25-21, 08:54 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I've never noticed it being slick....it just makes everything on your bike yellow