Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Just exploded three latex tubes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 06:34 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts

Update: changed the rim tape to Scotch 8898 and no more exploding latex tubes.

Installed a set of michelin air comp latex tubes a week ago on a bike with no spoke holes (campagnolo zonda wheelset) and had no issue. Put some chalk powder on them, half inflated, seated the tire and pumped up to 100psi. Went for a ride no problem.

Just tried to install a pair of vittoria latex tubes on a different carbon rim with hard plastic rim tape. Tire was loose enough that I didn't need tire levers to install. Same procedure as above. Between 60 and 80 psi each time BANG like a gunshot. Nearly deafened my toddlers who wanted nothing more than to help dad pump up his bike tires.

Inspected the hole in the tube...two large holes in the tube. Felt around the rim tape and new tires as of 20km ago to find sharp bits. Nothing. Tried the next tube. Same result. Switched to a Michelin latex tube thinking those Italians don't know what they are doing and bang! Three tubes, a pile of money and some ringing ears. One hole, two holes and three holes in the tubes all in different spots on the rim.

Threw the old butyl tube on there and it pumped up without complaint just as it had been before trying to change the tube. I have changed hundreds of tubes in my lifetime and other than a few tire lever induced holes I have never blown up three tubes in a row before.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe incompatible rim tape? Seems like the holes are on the interior and sides of the tube.

Last edited by Narhay; 09-30-18 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 06:46 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Installed a set of michelin air comp latex tubes a week ago on a bike with no spoke holes (campagnolo zonda wheelset) and had no issue. Put some chalk powder on them, half inflated, seated the tire and pumped up to 100psi. Went for a ride no problem.

Just tried to install a pair of vittoria latex tubes on a different carbon rim with hard plastic rim tape. Tire was loose enough that I didn't need tire levers to install. Same procedure as above. Between 60 and 80 psi each time BANG like a gunshot. Nearly deafened my toddlers who wanted nothing more than to help dad pump up his bike tires.

Inspected the hole in the tube...two large holes in the tube. Felt around the rim tape and new tires as of 20km ago to find sharp bits. Nothing. Tried the next tube. Same result. Switched to a Michelin latex tube thinking those Italians don't know what they are doing and bang! Three tubes, a pile of money and some ringing ears. One hole, two holes and three holes in the tubes all in different spots on the rim.

Threw the old butyl tube on there and it pumped up without complaint just as it had been before trying to change the tube. I have changed hundreds of tubes in my lifetime and other than a few tire lever induced holes I have never blown up three tubes in a row before.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe incompatible rim tape? Seems like the holes are on the interior and sides of the tube.
First, stop doing the same thing over and over. Examine the holes carefully for evidence. Exactly where are the holes?
Old 09-07-18, 07:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
three holes in the tubes all in different spots on the rim.
What about different spots on the tire? Are you moving the tire relative to the rim when the tubes are removed or does the tire stay on the rim when you swap the tube?

Switch tires front to rear and repeat. Does the problem follow the rim or the tire?

Different rim tape on front vs rear? Try changing rim tape?
Old 09-07-18, 07:39 PM
Narhay

Originally Posted by TimothyH
What about different spots on the tire? Are you moving the tire relative to the rim when the tubes are removed or does the tire stay on the rim when you swap the tube?

Switch tires front to rear and repeat. Does the problem follow the rim or the tire?

Different rim tape on front vs rear? Try changing rim tape?
Rim tape is same front and rear. I have run out of tubes to try at this point. The tire didnt change spots...just one bead came off to put the tubes in and out.
Old 09-07-18, 08:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
IME tubes only explode with a loud report when they are not constrained by the tire, like when they get trapped under the rim. Perhaps your tire-changing technique needs refinement.
Old 09-07-18, 09:25 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
To me, one clue might be that you didn't need tire irons to put the tire on. Correct tire size? New-to-you brand or model of tire? Could the tire have not seated?
Old 09-07-18, 10:22 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
IME tubes only explode with a loud report when they are not constrained by the tire, like when they get trapped under the rim. Perhaps your tire-changing technique needs refinement.
Agreed. Somehow a portion of the tube got outside the tire where it then instantly expanded and blew up. I'd suspect that either part of the tube was pinched between the tire bead and the rim and worked its way out when you pumped or part of the tire bead wasn't seated properly in the rim and momentarily lifted up allowing part of the tube to escape. In the latter case the tire bead frequently pops back into the rim once the tube has exploded. The fact that you found the tire to be a relatively loose fit on this rim makes this second possibility more likely.
Old 09-07-18, 10:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
I helped a club rider and customer last weekend wit his 5th flat of the weekend... He was really frustrated in not finding the causes. He and others looked many times for a bit of something in the tire that wasn't found before. Like many non experienced he (and the others) didn't fully understand all that can happen to a tire/tube/rimstrip/rim system to fully understand what was really going on.

By looking at the last flat tube I could see that the hole was on the rim side of the tube. First lesson is then to find the hole in the tube and how it interfaces with the tire/rim. The tube had slight bulges/indications where the spoke access holes in the rim were and the hole lined up with these. Then we looked at the rim strip and found it to be snaking side to side within the rim's base. having off from center spokes meant these access holes were also along one side of the rim and that the rim strip wasn't fully covering these rim spoke holes. The tube would chafe against the edge of the spoke access holes that were slightly not fully covered and abrade, causing the flats.

So what he learned was to seek the location of the hole within the tubes arrangement WRT the rim and tire. Then look at that aspect for a failure and the relative reason for a failure t that location. This is not rocket science but does need a certain amount of logic and systematic thinking. Of course when you've seen thousands of flats over decades this is second nature. When I teach flat repairing it is this logic I try to get across.

Now having said all that when one uses the most fragile stuff this all becomes even more vital. There's a reason why latex tubes are not common place. The marketing of their ability to lesson weight and soften the ride is small compared to the likelihood of frustrating flats. Andy
Old 09-08-18, 03:31 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
but what are the chances that he was somewhat careless, with three latex tubes and suddenly, not so careless with the original butyl tube that he said pumped up fine? Just three spots of bad luck in a row? The basic numbers here don’t work in favour of bad installation practices. I don’t use latex tubes for a variety of reasons, but I know a lot of people who have had similar experiences as the OP. I don’t know what went wrong here, but my gut instinct based on what we do know, says it wasn’t installer error.
Old 09-08-18, 04:59 AM
Narhay

Right pink - toward rim, 12 o'clock position
green toward tire bead 9 o'clock position
left pink toward tire. 3 o'clock position.

Right pink and green both have stippling of some kind next to the holes. Left pink seems clean.
Old 09-08-18, 05:43 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Only going on the photo you provided, evidence would suggest two faulty tubes and maybe one that was punctured by the rim? Quite a lot of possible variables though.
Old 09-08-18, 06:28 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I see nothing that definitively shows tube faults. To me, the one on the right is typical of what happens when the tire bead lifts off the rim - a mounting problem. The multiple dimples and holes in the middle one are quite odd, but I see some of the same effect on the right tube. Could it be caused by rim protector with sharp edges? The left looks to me like the result of the tube being caught under the bead, another mounting problem. It is odd. When you say "half inflated" I assume you mean the tire. It's not clear if you inflated the tubes enough to give them shape before installation - especially critical with latex.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 09-08-18 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 07:01 AM
Narhay

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I see nothing that definitively shows tube faults. To me, the one on the right is typical of what happens when the tire bead lifts off the rim - a mounting problem. The multiple dimples and holes in the middle one are quite odd, but I see some of the same effect on the right tube. Could it be caused by rim protector with sharp edges? The left looks to me like the result of the tube being caught under the bead, another mounting problem. It is odd. When you say "half inflated" it's no clear if you inflated the tubes enough to give them shape before installation - especially critical with latex.
They were blown up to give them some shape. I am going to try some new rim tape and spend a few minutes massaging the tire bead next time.

The tire itself seats fine with the butyl tube and I have changed it out a couple times now. Just the latex...
Old 09-08-18, 07:31 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I inflate the tube to give it some shape when I put it in the tire and to mount the first bead and center the tube in the rim. But after the second bead is most of the way on, I almost always need to completely deflate the tube to finish mounting, certainly on a road bike. Then, if I'm not familiar with tire and rim, I inflate a few pumps, and visually check around both beads, squeezing the bead together, to make sure the tube is not pinched in there. Then I will inflate slowly and check that the bead is seating properly and evenly. Disconnect the pump and spin the wheel in your hands, looking for high and low spots on the bead.
Old 09-08-18, 07:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
To me, one clue might be that you didn't need tire irons to put the tire on. Correct tire size? New-to-you brand or model of tire? Could the tire have not seated?
?? I never need to use tire irons to put a tire on.. this is not unusual.
Old 09-08-18, 08:10 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
seems to me a lot of folks are overlooking the fact that he stated that he was able to mount the tire and inflate a butyl tube without incident. While this doesn’t rule anything out, it does at least point to the high probability that his ability to properly install a tube and seat a tire is adequate.
Old 09-08-18, 09:28 AM
Narhay

Tire and wheel in question with inflated butyl tube.

Are some rim strips incompatible with latex tubes?
Old 09-08-18, 09:38 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

You mentioned that you used hard plastic rim tape. I suspect this could be a problem. I know some folks bad mouth “Velox” canvas rim tape but for this application Velox is where it’s at.

BTW - you are not the 1st person who burned through multiple latex tubes before getting on to not blow out upon inflation. Lots of good tips here should help. Could you name the brand of plastic rim tape and or take a picture showing the rim tape on the rim?
Old 09-08-18, 09:42 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

Right pink - toward rim, 12 o'clock position
green toward tire bead 9 o'clock position
left pink toward tire. 3 o'clock position.

Right pink and green both have stippling of some kind next to the holes. Left pink seems clean.
Not sure if this makes you feel better but to me, only one of these tubes is trash. The other 2 can be patched. Some people say latex doesn’t like being patched. I’ve heard other people say they have patched them without a problem. I patched mine before and they held air OK afterwards.
Old 09-08-18, 10:22 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Agreed, but the OP seemed to imply that the fit was loose. Oh! I guess he was saying that he used the proper procedure and didn't damage the tube. Still for putting on tubeless tires I sometimes feel a tool would be useful. But to your point:

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-08-18 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 10:31 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

what rim tape are you using? A fabric rim tape like velox or a polyurethane tape (I use panaracer poly-lite) would be a good choice. Thicker tapes could create a bead seating issue though, depending on your rim/tire combo
Old 09-09-18, 06:10 AM
Narhay

It is a thicker piece of blue plastic rim tape. I will get some scotch 8898 and see if that helps.

I sacrificed one of the tubes to make some patches. They seem to be holding up ok so far.
Old 09-09-18, 08:33 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Huh?
Old 09-10-18, 12:40 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Those look like tubes that were pinched between the rim and the bead. Even if the tire and tube go on smoothly the tube can be pinched when inflating, especially if the tire fits on loosely. It gets trapped at the bottom between the bead and the rim. With latex tubes this is a common failure. I always inflate to ~30psi and run a lever along the perimeter of the bead to check and make sure the tube is fully inside of the tire. Not an issue with the thicker butyl tubes as they don't get trapped in the same way
Old 09-10-18, 04:21 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Those look like tubes that were pinched between the rim and the bead.
+1. It's been a few years since I was using latex tubes but I seem to recall they required a little extra finesse and inspection before inflating to make sure they weren't caught under the bead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.