Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

As a pedestrian how do you want to know when being passed?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-04-20, 06:34 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

How do you think the pedestrian on the path wants to know you are passing them:

1) Yell “on your left”

2) Ring a bell

3) Jingle bells on your bike that rattle that whole time you are riding.

I used to hike every weekend before I started biking. One time this guy coming down the hill and I could hear him for a while. He had like cat jingle bells on his bike. I was thinking of doing that with my road bike.

Old 06-04-20, 06:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
By starting a thread in the A&S forum?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-20, 12:14 AM
Cyclist7485
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
I use a spur cycle bell, and slow way down before overtaking a pedestrian. They all seem to appreciate the bell. It’s a loud, but polite sound. I also say thank you when I do pass. People like that too.
Likes For Cyclist7485:
Old 06-05-20, 12:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I call out "bicycle". Easy, requires no hardware and works in all hand positions. And everybody but the hearing impaired "gets" it.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-05-20, 01:47 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If I'm a pedestrian on a Cycleway, just ride past me. It's a Cycleway. There are going to be bicycles. I know that.

If I'm a pedestrian on a footpath (sidewalk), ride past me on the road.
Old 06-05-20, 02:29 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Whenever I approach people walking on the back roads around here I just shout "BIKE". Often lots of people walking in the nice weather we've had and often in middle of road(quiet back lanes). A hearty yell does the job. Most smile and nod in appreciation of the warning, one or two look put out. I always say thanks as I go past.

Last edited by SurferCyclist; 06-05-20 at 02:33 AM.
Likes For SurferCyclist:
Old 06-05-20, 03:52 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I don't want to be passed, pedestrian or not. So expect a stick in your front wheel.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 06-05-20, 07:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy

1) Yell “on your left”

2) Ring a bell

I used to hike every weekend before I started biking. One time this guy coming down the hill and I could hear him for a while. He had like cat jingle bells on his bike. I was thinking of doing that with my road bike.

I find that a loud “Get out of my way!! Don’t you know who I am?!!!” clears my path pretty effectively, and watching the damn’ pedestrians struggle to stay upright as they leap sideways adds spice to my MUP adventure.
Unless I’m feeling well-disposed toward my fellow humans, then “I’m going to pass on your left, Folks” in a clear speaking voice from a reasonable distance back will do the trick
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-05-20, 07:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy

1) Yell “on your left”

2) Ring a bell

All are acceptable. Jingle bells are kind of festive, but riding around with them on a century would drive me nuts.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 07:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by subgrade
I don't want to be passed, pedestrian or not. So expect a stick in your front wheel.

A pedestrian tried to do that to mug me. Turns out it's a lot harder to do than it looks. I was a half block down the road from him before I realized what he had been trying to do.
Old 06-05-20, 07:36 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
If I'm on my bicycle on a MUP I won't say anything if a pedestrian is in front of me and there's enough room to pass; say something and you don't know which way they will go, left or right. Its worse with 2 or more persons; most likely they'll step sideways in opposite directions, something like a heard of cats scattering in all directions.
Old 06-05-20, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by skidder
If I'm on my bicycle on a MUP I won't say anything if a pedestrian is in front of me and there's enough room to pass; say something and you don't know which way they will go, left or right. Its worse with 2 or more persons; most likely they'll step sideways in opposite directions, something like a heard of cats scattering in all directions.

"I'm passing on your left". Works almost every time, and they're a hell of lot more predictable when I do that than when I sneak past them. especially when there's 2 or more.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 08:01 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
If I am going to come up on someone walking and will be in somewhat close proximity to them, I will yell out "on your left". If I'm a good distance away I won't say anything.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 06-05-20, 08:04 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I try to stay off the MUPs because of the idiots but when I ride with my wife she prefers them to the road. I will jingle my bell from a good distance back so they know I am approaching then a "Passing on your left. Thank you. Have a nice day." But I am a hell of a nice guy. Not at all like the rest of you clowns.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 06-05-20, 08:24 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
a very useful question

Thanks. I seldom see walkers/joggers on my normal hilly riding area. Most are usually headed opposing traffic. I like the combination bell and yell idea. I will adopt it. It also gives me an excuse to buy one of the really nifty tiny bells (someone enclosed a pic- thanks) since my only current one weighs about six pounds and stays in the shop.
Old 06-05-20, 09:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I'll call out "passing left" (or right), once. If they don't move I figure they're plugged in, and nothing short of an air horn will be heard over the loud noise they're piping into their ear plugs.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-05-20, 11:08 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
When walking I would prefer the cyclist slow down and wait till it is safe to pass. I don't require a verbal warning unless it is really warranted. I also feel it is my responsibility to be aware of what I'm doing and look before I make any changes to my path of travel. I do find it disconcerting when cyclist pass closely, very fast with no warning.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 06-05-20, 11:11 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
The OP left out an important option for letting people know you're coming up and going to pass them. It's freewheeling with a loud-enough rear wheel hub. My White Industries CLD hub is sort of mid-range loud. It's much louder than something pretty quiet like a Shimano hub, and not as loud as some others. When passing either pedestrians or slower cyclists I just freewheel for a few seconds as I come up within 20-30 meters of them and unless they're wearing headphones nobody ever fails to notice and look over their shoulder at me. I don't have to say a thing. It also doesn't come across in a "get outta my way!" vibe liking ringing a bell does (at least to some people).
Old 06-05-20, 12:05 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Jingle bells???? Why not playing cards in the spokes?

Our local trail rules are posted: Cyclists yield to pedestrians, announce that they are passing on the left. In several years of riding these trails the only bell I have ever heard was on a kiddie bike.

I try to ride the way I would like to be treated if I were a pedestrian. I assume that every jogger, walker, dog, family group, etc. is semi-conscious and will do something that will cause me a problem, so I make the announcement loud enough and early enough that I can avoid the occasional goofy or erratic response - or lack of response. I also adjust my speed to ft the situation - I'll pass a single jogger who is keeping to the right usually without slowing a lot, but for kids or a big group I'll back it down accordingly. Fast and careless cyclist have a bad rep on these trails, so I do make it a point to thank people as I pass. If I have to make serious evasive action or stop I try to make light of it and go on without getting nasty. Why spoil a nice day . . . . .
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 06-05-20, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Jingle bells???? Why not playing cards in the spokes?

Our local trail rules are posted: Cyclists yield to pedestrians, announce that they are passing on the left. In several years of riding these trails the only bell I have ever heard was on a kiddie bike.

I try to ride the way I would like to be treated if I were a pedestrian. I assume that every jogger, walker, dog, family group, etc. is semi-conscious and will do something that will cause me a problem, so I make the announcement loud enough and early enough that I can avoid the occasional goofy or erratic response - or lack of response. I also adjust my speed to ft the situation - I'll pass a single jogger who is keeping to the right usually without slowing a lot, but for kids or a big group I'll back it down accordingly. Fast and careless cyclist have a bad rep on these trails, so I do make it a point to thank people as I pass. If I have to make serious evasive action or stop I try to make light of it and go on without getting nasty. Why spoil a nice day . . . . .

Holy crap, did I post this?

My sentiments, exactly.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 12:16 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Two things to consider. When I am a pedestrian, I am alert enough that I normally know when I am going to be passed. As long as you pass at a safe distance though, I don't really need to know. I am going to hold my line. If I am going to move over or across, I look first.
Old 06-05-20, 12:42 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I use a bell and had a few "thank you's" . A lot of the times I see ear buds and know I need to be cautious. Sometimes I can hear the music as I pass so I know they didn't hear my bell. This is why I avoid MUP's if at all possible. People walking dogs with retractable leashes or no leash at all, people walking 3 abreast with strollers forcing me off the path, etc. I don't need the drama. Joe
Old 06-05-20, 02:06 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Announcing "Ön Your Left" on the MUP also lets the silent jerk passing you know you are swinging out
and sending him into the weeds.
You did check your mirror, rear, right?
Old 06-05-20, 02:26 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Wait until the last possible second, and sound this. Loads of fun, and it helps the pedestrian get their heart rate up. They'll thank you.

Old 06-05-20, 03:11 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It's amazing how many posters did not answer the question in the title of the thread.

When I'm walking almost any method works for me, especially if done with some consideration. Bell, call out, noisy freewheel, etc. Even no notice at all is fine as long as you're giving me lots of space and not going going 20+ mph. Just don't buzz me at high speed without any notice and I'm good with it.
Likes For AlmostTrick:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.