Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gitane Interclub early 70s

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gitane Interclub early 70s

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 07:01 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by JJScaliger
At the shop I used to work at we used a ruler to make sure the bottom of the lever was even with the bottom of the drops...
This is my first non aero brake road bike, so I wasn't sure whether to run them in front or behind the stem.
JJS, that's a great looking bike, great for running the back roads of western RI! (But it's not red, you know.)

About the brakes, this may be obvious but I'll type it anyway. The front cable should go behind the bar so that it fits into the hanger running straight down instead of at an angle. I'm surprised the shop you bought it from didn't know that. But then, maybe they've never seen a traditional centerpull brake!

About the lever position, I've always positioned the levers more or less "correctly" but never by measuring them. In the old days before I started hearing things like "you're supposed to do it like this" I did it by what seemed right by eye. It's somewhat arbitrary anyway. Different levers are different lengths with different bends, bars are different, etc. Whats seems comfortable can depend on the reach and the TT length and the bar angle. So the exact position of the brake on the slowly curving bar doesn't seem worth the worry.
Old 03-14-13, 07:09 PM
harpon
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's nice as an original specimen I guess- the Gitane Super Corsa I got in '71 came with a plastic saddle like that that had some kind of inscription etched in- wasn't so bad, but I switched to Unicanitor as soon as they were available in my world shortly after- with a leather cover over the plastic-

I later somehow got a plastic one in some race that looked just like your original- It had that little too much slope to it somehow, and I had it on a beater first and then Dad had it on his first built up bike after- we agreed it was the WORST saddle ever- called it "the butt breaker"- even at 19 years or so, it was a guaranteed sore pain in the A.

"If it was me"- those irritating words, I know- I'd want to lighten up everything I could- alloy seat post, alloy crankset, side pull brakes- and lose those hangers- make room for a nifty little clean allen seat binder
probably some brakes in modern gold anno- something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AGE-GOLD...item3a7ebc18cf
Not sure they'd fit though- just never liked either center pull or Mafac.

anyway not to discourage- that's just my eternal racing obbsession with weight and knowing what works
it's a clean vintage look otherwise- you should be proud

I might think about clear coating it- the decals are like mine were, and they are a bit sensitive and scratch easily.
Old 03-15-13, 06:23 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice looking bike, I liked the Interclub Gitanes when we had a dealer here in the early 70's. That saddle looks like the same one my 72 Bottecchia Special came with new. Harpon describes the feeling it gave this 15 y.o. kid a new outlook on pain perfectly.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-15-13, 07:47 AM
harpon
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"If I were you" again

I'd maybe get in some extra decals while I could- and not a bad price-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1-set-of...item2a26491702
Old 03-15-13, 09:12 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
They've lasted this long.....
Old 03-15-13, 09:54 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Love the time capsule condition of your Gitane! Looks like it might have been ridden for one season and then put away....
Hmmmm....Is it just me, or does that fixed cup look like it's not fully seated/screwed into the BB shell??

Chombi
Old 03-15-13, 10:25 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Chombi
Hmmmm....Is it just me, or does that fixed cup look like it's not fully seated/screwed into the BB shell??
Maybe that's why it was "put away".
Old 03-15-13, 12:05 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Maybe that's why it was "put away".
No matter how nice some of my hidden finds are..there is usually a reason the bicycles are or were not ridden!
Old 03-15-13, 12:35 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Beautiful example of a fine bike. Those running around Erie was why I was building sew-up wheels for Raleigh Super Courses. They cost the same back then, $150.00

Definitely keep it original, or as original as you can. I can definitely see the worthwhile-ness of building up a second set of 700C clincher wheels for more urban riding. If you match the hubs, you can swap out without any retuning in the derailleurs. I remember those bikes coming with Simplex Prestige as standard, but we're talking the bike boom. Manufacturers were slapping bloody well anything on to their frames just to get more, more, more bikes out the door.

Also, you've got a minor miracle there: A 40 year old Gitane with a complete paint job. Rank that up there with a Jesuit pope.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-15-13, 04:31 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
I took it for a longer test ride today, but after about 5 miles the fixed cup started to work loose. I had to shorten the ride to 13 miles and finger tighten the cup a couple of times on the way home. Barring this problem, the Interclub rode very nicely.
I plan on addressing this issue sometime soon. I think the primary reason this bike may not have been ridden was it had a flat front tubular tire. Nothing like a flat tubular to scare off the lazy!

The Gitane is not likely to be commuter. I like the tubular wheels, the paint job and the brooks saddle too much to subject it the rough and tumble world of urban riding. I have 6 bikes, this one is my vintage ride, I plan to keep it as is.
Old 03-15-13, 05:32 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Did the same shop that did the brake cables work on the bottom bracket?
Old 03-15-13, 06:32 PM
JJScaliger

I bought it on ebay from a shop in Nebraska. They said in the description that all they did was replace the cables, put on new bar tape and give it a tune up. Sounds believable to me. They probably got it as a trade in, did some cheap cosmetic work on it, gave it a basic tune up and flipped it. I didn't pay a ton for it and it was packed professionally.

I don't mind giving it a little tlc. I bought it as a novelty; to mess with a cottered crank, center pull brakes and help expand my mechanical skills on a vintage bike. Although I will admit I'm not crazy about the idea of filing cotters to fit the crank. This Gitane is a project and time machine for me.
Old 03-15-13, 06:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Although I will admit I'm not crazy about the idea of filing cotters to fit the crank.
I've filed a few cotters through the years. (Never as a bike shop employee though.) The hard part is maintaining the proper angle. Or at least the same angle on each side. I guess if I had a proper machine shop it would be easy, but without one I run about 50% success rate. It helps if you start with the proper size! Measure them before buying/ordering, not just the diameter but the amount of machining on the flat surface.
Old 03-15-13, 07:19 PM
bassogap

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R5000 1986 Basso Gap(Super Record) 1986 Schwinn Voyager SP 1975 Schwinn Paramount Track Bike 1974 Raleigh RRA

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What an incredible find! After a 1971 Varsity, I got a 1972 Interclub the same color green. Mine had an alloy Sugino Mxi crank, and steel clinchers. My plstic saddle(which I didn't mind at all) was ensripted "Frecca de Orr"...
Old 04-09-13, 04:47 PM
JJScaliger

Ok, I hope nobody wants to throw rocks at me, but ...

I did some modifications to my Interclub. When I went for a ride a couple of weeks ago the left cottered crank arm started to loosen by the end of the ride so I decided two strikes and its out. I banged off the left arm with one blow with a hammer and punch when I came home. The right took three hits but came off with a slight mushrooming of the cotter. I would have stayed with the cottered if it had been trouble free.

I have a lust for the stronglight 93 so I decided to throw down for the stronglight crank puller instead of the cotter press. The chainrings on the Stronglight 93 (52/42) are better for me and my hilly rides than the old school 50/45 half step. The stronglight is period correct and let's not kid ourselves, that cottered crank was a boat anchor!

I installed a VO 113 bb which was a perfect fit. My Suntour Spirt fd's fixing bolt snapped when I was readjusting it to accommodate the 52 big ring. Fortunately the Spirt is readily available on ebay nos and dirt cheap.

I trimmed the brake cables down and added a water bottle cage. I had to file the tabs on the cage a little bit to fit the mounts, but I needed a mount.

Here are a couple of hub shots as requested

I need to add a retro bag as the finishing touch.

I can't wait to take the Gitane out for a ride this Sunday! I was talking to a coworker about this bike and she asked me if I had named it. I had to think about it for a few days, but I have decided to name it Louise after Louise Robert, Miss Corse 2012.

Last edited by JJScaliger; 04-09-13 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 05:30 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Ok, I hope nobody wants to throw rocks at me, but ...

What a beautiful example JJ! A real knock-out!
Old 04-09-13, 08:26 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I bought it on ebay from a shop in Nebraska. They said in the description that all they did was replace the cables, put on new bar tape and give it a tune up. Sounds believable to me. They probably got it as a trade in, did some cheap cosmetic work on it, gave it a basic tune up and flipped it. I didn't pay a ton for it and it was packed professionally.
The update is absolutely gorgeous. I've got an Interclub with honeycomb dropouts that's both gorgeous and about as far from original as could be. Just out of curiosity, would you mind naming the shop and city in Nebraska?
Old 04-09-13, 10:13 PM
JJScaliger

Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited about the new look.

I bought the Gitane from Re-Cycle a Bike Shop in Omaha. As I wrote earlier, they packed it very professionally and when I unpacked the Gitane it was as if it was brand new (in a KHS box). I think the crank and bottom bracket issues were caused by riding the bike for 200 miles. I wish I had checked the tightness of the fixed cup when I received the bike. I wasn't aware of French bikes propensity for loosening.
The bb threads and cups were immaculate when I took it apart, although I did pit the spindle slightly when the fixed cup loosened on me a month ago. Otherwise it looked new from the factory. This bike was definitely not ridden a lot before it went in storage.

@ Bassgap
My plastic saddle does say Frecca d'Or on the side too.
Old 04-10-13, 06:41 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The Interclub looks fantastic, I'll stand in front of you to take any rocks that get thrown your way, let 'em fly if they dare. Your few changes are very well thought out and executed. You're doing a service to the C&V community in keeping the Interclub this nice and enjoying its ride and history. Please keep us updated in it as you can. I just cannot get over the paint's quality after this long.

My old LBS, back in the early 70's, Escambia Schwinn, carried Gitane and Bottecchia, I got my Botty there in 1972, certainly wish I had kept it, was the first shop here to bring in the European bikes. it was during the boom in the early 70's. I miss that place and the family that owned it, very much.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-10-13, 08:20 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

JJS, that's a style-laden bike, for sure. The crank and BB upgrade is the sort any PO (or myself) might have done. So now are going to park your spiffy red eye-talian-style bikes?

Everybody knows that red bikes are faster, blue bikes are more comfortable. I'm not sure where green bikes fit into the spectrum, but it sure looks nice.
Old 04-10-13, 11:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
The Gitane is not likely to be commuter. I like the tubular wheels, the paint job and the brooks saddle too much to subject it the rough and tumble world of urban riding. I have 6 bikes, this one is my vintage ride, I plan to keep it as is.
+1. The spirit in which many expand their love of this sport.
I predict a 2nd roadie with tubulars is likely in your future (almost too much fun/trouble for just 1 bike), try a better set of tires than the 3/$50. I run Continental Sprinters which can be 'affordable'.

And since you name your bikes, make it an English gentleman to accompany your French Louise.
Old 04-10-13, 02:43 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
The Stronglight 93 is a perfect upgrade.

And, when you need it, you can even find a 38t ring for it!

Great bike!
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 08-07-22, 08:20 AM
Beddy

Bikes: Gitane

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JJ I just love the look of this bike, the colour - tres magnifique!

Cheers,

Dave
Likes For Beddy: