Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1mph gain switching to narrower tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1mph gain switching to narrower tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 05:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I thought that was standard practice. What do you use... a gauge?
Yeah.. I'd guess 90%+ of road cyclists use a gauge as most presta pumps have one built in, or put another way, the $10 upcharge for a pump that has one vs one that doesn't, is probably a somewhat decent investment.
Old 05-31-18, 05:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Why not? Road wear is a function of what, the fourth power of axle weight? It stands to reason that tire wear is something more than linear with weight. Since it's the tires that wear the road down.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-31-18, 05:55 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I thought that was standard practice. What do you use... a gauge?
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/floor-pumps/221-joeblow--sport-ii which I got on sale. The gauge isn't very accurate but good enough for me.

My travel pump, road morph, also has a gauge, again, not very accurate but good enough.

I notice quite a bit of difference in speed and comfort between 90 and 100 PSI, and I bet very few people would be able to tell 90 vs. 100 "by pinch"

I mean, if you care enough about stats and 28 vs. 21 mm, why wouldn't you use a gauge? Kind of like running a medical study and not normalizing for things like age, race, etc.
Old 05-31-18, 06:54 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
To me it's not all that simple, but even if we think of the entire difference in wear, front tire and back, as being a result of abrasive wear then it boils down largely to the back tire sliding. Even if you think of localized areas sliding rather than the entire contact patch, still sliding. In this case the weight distribution is a large factor (one tire slides, the other does not). As well as riding style, road surface, speed, amount of braking etc etc. I'm not so certain as you that weight distribution doesn't impact these factors to that degree of 2x to 3x faster wear.
Old 05-31-18, 07:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

To me it's not all that simple, but even if we think of the entire difference in wear, front tire and back, as being a result of abrasive wear then it boils down largely to the back tire sliding. Even if you think of localized areas sliding rather than the entire contact patch, still sliding. In this case the weight distribution is a large factor (one tire slides, the other does not). As well as riding style, road surface, speed, amount of braking etc etc. I'm not so certain as you that weight distribution doesn't impact these factors to that degree of 2x to 3x faster wear.
A tire doesn't have to be wildly skidding to generate the abrasion we're talking about here. Simply working the bike up to speed from a stop, over and over again, causes wear that the front tire doesn't ever see. If you think weight distribution is the major factor, how would you explain tandems like Carbonfiberboy's (and many others) which wear out the rear tire much faster than the front despite equal loading? I can't believe we're even discussing this.

Oh wait, I can. This is the 41.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-01-18, 02:32 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
A tire doesn't have to be wildly skidding to generate the abrasion we're talking about here. Simply working the bike up to speed from a stop, over and over again, causes wear that the front tire doesn't ever see. If you think weight distribution is the major factor, how would you explain tandems like Carbonfiberboy's (and many others) which wear out the rear tire much faster than the front despite equal loading? I can't believe we're even discussing this.

A factor that this argument is ignoring is the way the front and rear wheels interact with the road. I've never seen the front tire wear flat like the rear always does, because the constant steering distributes wear more.

I also agree with wphamilton that weight vs wear is unlikely to be a linear relationship. It is probably a lot more like wind resistance, and wear increases geometrically to weight.
Old 06-01-18, 05:35 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
How a tire wears...thats an exiting debate.
Old 06-01-18, 05:46 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Kontact
A factor that this argument is ignoring is the way the front and rear wheels interact with the road. I've never seen the front tire wear flat like the rear always does, because the constant steering distributes wear more.

I also agree with wphamilton that weight vs wear is unlikely to be a linear relationship. It is probably a lot more like wind resistance, and wear increases geometrically to weight.
I don't know that it's unlikely to be linear, since at first gasp you'd assume that abrasive wear is proportional to normal force. I just think that there's reason that it might not be, and I'm not certain how large a part the rubber wear (hysteresis etc) plays and whether that's linear with load. It might be. He seems to believe that weight distribution plays no part at all, and that his opinion is so self-evident that it need not be challenged.

He also transformed "a large factor" into "the major factor", ignored that I proposed a function of "As well as riding style, road surface, speed, amount of braking" and then mocked that anyone would discuss what he came up with for me to say. Looking at some of the published models of tire wear, I don't think that *I* can fully understand them without some study, much less explain it to someone that would be resisting it. I asked him "why not" because I thought that he might know something specific about it.
Old 06-01-18, 06:09 AM
big chainring 

This is like watching paint dry. Go start your own thread.
Old 06-01-18, 06:42 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Kontact

You have a good point on the steering spreading the wear out over a wider surface.
Old 06-01-18, 06:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Sorry to offend @wphamilton. I honestly thought you were making a serious-sounding joke, what with that "tires wearing the road" bit at the end. I'm sure weight has some effect in the whole thing, but that will be confounded by inflation pressure and tire width for the load, too.
All I know is that I've never come close to wearing out a front tire before it ages out, and my weight balance is right around 45/55, so it can't just be that. Back to you, @big chainring.
Old 06-01-18, 07:06 AM
wphamilton

Sorry to offend @wphamilton. I honestly thought you were making a serious-sounding joke, what with that "tires wearing the road" bit at the end. I'm sure weight has some effect in the whole thing, but that will be confounded by inflation pressure and tire width for the load, too.
All I know is that I've never come close to wearing out a front tire before it ages out, and my weight balance is right around 45/55, so it can't just be that. Back to you, @big chainring.
NP. It WAS a half-joke since pavement compression is obviously different from pressure on rubber, but half because it's hard to ignore that fourth power exponent of weight. I was just asking.
Old 06-01-18, 07:16 AM
wphamilton

This is like watching paint dry. Go start your own thread.
Far be it for me to derail "21's are faster than 28's", sorry.
Old 06-01-18, 07:58 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Why not? Road wear is a function of what, the fourth power of axle weight?
I used to be on the bicycle subcommittee of our local public works commission, so I've had discussions with our civil engineers about road conditions and road wear. They use the 4th power of axle weight * the volume of traffic to estimate road wear. A loaded bus or 15-ton trailer puts about 100x as much load per axle as a cyclist. (10^2)^4 = 10^8, or around 100 million. This came up in a discussion about how much cyclists should pay for wear and tear on roads. A 3000 lb. car puts around 50,000x as much wear on the road as a cyclist.
Old 06-01-18, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
A 3000 lb. car puts around 50,000x as much wear on the road as a cyclist.
And few 'Mericans would would suffer the indignity of such a toy.
Old 06-01-18, 10:09 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts

Yes, the back tire wear is just about all due to pedaling force. I can even hear the tire when I'm standing up and accelerating hard. Powerful riders will wear out their back tire sooner, too.

Other factors: leaning over, more weight on the rear tire, are a tiny fraction of the pedaling wear. And braking would wear the front tire faster, not the back.
Old 06-01-18, 11:41 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Your distribution is 45/55 only when you're seated on a level road. Every hill shifts your weight, riding out of the saddle scrubs the tires more.

It would be interesting to look at Triathlete tires in flat states - weight distribution is closer to 50/50 and there's no climbing.
Old 06-02-18, 06:34 AM
big chainring 

I'm totally amped. I am achieving a new level of performance. I think its the 177.5 crank length along with my 531 Wolverhampton Wonder. Skinny tires juiced to a higher pitch psi. I'm trimming seconds from my Strava personal bests and banking KOMs. My watts are amping up and becoming volts. Crushing it. Twice I cat 6ed it on the MUP against the local carbon fiber boys. Their bikes literally 'sploded as my Viking ship sailed by them. Just ordered some vintage Clement no. 1 silks from a monk in Rocamadour, France. Aged 40 years in a cave like fine wine, stored on Padauk wood rims that lend a reddish hue to the Egyptian silk threads. Most likely will cut more time from my TT runs.
Old 06-02-18, 07:17 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I'm totally amped. I am achieving a new level of performance. I think its the 177.5 crank length along with my 531 Wolverhampton Wonder. Skinny tires juiced to a higher pitch psi. I'm trimming seconds from my Strava personal bests and banking KOMs. My watts are amping up and becoming volts. Crushing it. Twice I cat 6ed it on the MUP against the local carbon fiber boys. Their bikes literally 'sploded as my Viking ship sailed by them. Just ordered some vintage Clement no. 1 silks from a monk in Rocamadour, France. Aged 40 years in a cave like fine wine, stored on Padauk wood rims that lend a reddish hue to the Egyptian silk threads. Most likely will cut more time from my TT runs.
Old 06-02-18, 07:51 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
And few 'Mericans would would suffer the indignity of such a toy.
...lost them at "fourth power" I'm afraid.
Old 06-03-18, 07:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
did you recalibrate your computer? the circumference of a 21mm tire is less than 28mm. So without recalibrating a traditional cyclocomputer will read too fast and too long with the smaller tires.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-04-18, 08:15 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
did you recalibrate your computer? the circumference of a 21mm tire is less than 28mm. So without recalibrating a traditional cyclocomputer will read too fast and too long with the smaller tires.
That would be really funny if that's what actually happened lol. Instead of switching to the right circumference, he should just to to KPH and pick up another 50% speed.
Old 06-04-18, 09:57 AM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now just wait until your watts starting volting up to amps! Also, good call on that Wolverhampton over the Bolton.