Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting cartridge bearing hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 10:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts

I know that adjusting cartridge bearing hubs can be a bit tricky and I'm having trouble with a pair of wheels with suntour superbe cartridge bearing hubs. They're old wheels but they do not have a lot of miles on them. Here's the problem. The wheels have side to side play when mounted on the bike and the skewers properly clamped down. Even if I adjust the cones with the wheels off the bike so that there is no play in the axle, there is play once I clamp down the wheels.

So what's the solution to properly adjusting cartridge bearing hubs to eliminate side to side play when the wheels are mounted on the bike?
Old 09-03-16, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Point One, Radial Contact bearings are not adjustable , some play at the rim is just 'par for the course'.

Only if you have angular Contact bearings, in a hub made for those type bearings can the run out at the rim
be lessened..

loose ball hubs are angular contact.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-03-16 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 10:20 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Point One, Radial Contact bearings are not adjustable , some play at the rim is just 'par for the course'.

Only if you have angular Contact bearings, in a hub made for those type bearings can the run out at the rim
be lessened..

./.
Yeah but I've had cartridge bearing hubs with considerably less play side to side than these. This is a very pronounced play.
Old 09-03-16, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Blind Guess: Given No Specifics; Buy New Bearings..

I put in Enduro Brand Bearings (90% ball fill) in my Bullseye sealed bearing Hubs, they use a 6001 bearing.

QBP stocks Enduro Bearings..
Old 09-03-16, 11:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Pull the cones and axles and see if there is a lot of play between the inner and outer races that would indicate the cartridges themselves are worn or damaged.
Old 09-04-16, 07:02 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by HillRider
Pull the cones and axles and see if there is a lot of play between the inner and outer races that would indicate the cartridges themselves are worn or damaged.
This is useful. Yeah I'm thinking there must be an issue with the cartridges. It's just weird that there's no play when I hold the wheel in my hands and move the axle but there is considerable play when I mount the wheels on the bike.
Old 09-05-16, 01:31 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have Suntour XC 9000 front hubs. They have play at the rim when properly adjusted except for one wheel. I replaced the radial bearings with angular contact bearings from Enduro. ENDURO ANGULAR CONTACT STEEL BEARINGS FOR WHEEL HUBS
You can also get the 7001 2 RS with a full complement of balls.

Last edited by davidad; 09-05-16 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 09:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Radial contact pre assembled cartridge (sometimes called "sealed") want a bit of free end play or the wear rate will be fast. Can you actually feel the end play during riding? Replacing these bearings is fairly cheap so an experiment is easy. Andy
Old 07-20-19, 06:52 AM
bikemig 

I started this thread almost 3 years ago and those wheels with the cartridge bearing suntour superbe pro hubs are still going strong but they haven't seen a lot of service. The hubs have the original cartridge bearings and I'm planning on putting the wheels back in service on a Fuji Finest I am rebuilding. I know I can service these by pulling back the seal and putting in new grease but the hubs turn so nicely that I don't plan on doing this at least to start out with.

I know when I'm adjusting cup and cone hubs, I make sure that there is no play when the wheel is mounted on the bike. Usually (nearly always) that means that there will be a slight amount of play when the wheel is off the bike but the play disappears once the quick release skewer is tightened.

I was reading Sutherland's handbook and it states that with cartridge bearings, there has to be a slight amount of play at the rim of a build up wheel. So I adjust the cartridge bearing hub so that the cones (really they're more like shoulders on the axle) are as loose as possible without any play at the hub. I find once I do that, there is a small amount of play on the rim once the wheel is on the bike and the quick release tightened down.

I guess I'll find out whether that is the right adjustment by riding that wheel and seeing what happens.
Old 07-21-19, 04:47 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have those hubs and you can buy angular contact bearings (7001 2RS Max) from Enduro. You adjust them like a cup and cone bearing with a slight preload when the wheel is installed and the QR is closed. There will be no play at the rim.
With radial bearings (6001's) there will be a slight amount of play at the rim. You adjust them by tightening the sleeve until there is a slight drag and loosen it by 1/4 turn. If they a so tight that there is no play at the rim the bearings wear quickly.