Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good summer jerseys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Good summer jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 11:04 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Good summer jerseys

I am looking for some jerseys for this Summer and found the high-end Summer jersey brands thread, but I am looking for some good cheaper ones .

I normally prefer solid light colors jerseys and had a pair of Spotti ones, but there are very few colors and none on my size on Amazon.
Then, I found the Bpbtti brand for 15 bucks and got one to try it out.

Any good jersey on cheaper side you recommend?

For my shorts, I am very happy with the Santic ones.
Old 06-05-18, 04:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
The stuff this company makes have pretty good reviews. If you go on their instagram they have better pictures than on the website.

https://www.theblackbibs.com/
Old 06-05-18, 07:12 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I've been wearing these retro jerseys from an Austrialian seller on Ebay, and pretty happy with them! I have worn one of them for 2 seasons now, and the quality and fabric hold up well.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/cycling-ret...1&_ipg=&_from=

Honestly I cannot see myself spending $100+ on a jersey when the cheaper ones work well enough.

On more "mainstream products", I believe Louis Garneau has a pretty good price / performance ratio. They make quality stuff for reasonable prices.
Old 06-05-18, 07:15 AM
maartendc

Do you wear black jerseys in the summer?

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new cycling jersey for the summer, and I was wondering:

Black looks cool, but it does absorb more heat from the sun. I see a lot of brands make summer jerseys in dark colors, which makes me wonder:

Would you wear a black jersey in the summer?

I see lots of people wear dark jerseys in the summer. Do you like them? Why?

Cheers!
Old 06-05-18, 07:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hello all,

I am in the market for a new cycling jersey for the summer, and I was wondering:

Black looks cool, but it does absorb more heat from the sun. I see a lot of brands make summer jerseys in dark colors, which makes me wonder:

Cheers!
Did you mean to start a new thread?
Old 06-05-18, 07:40 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Did you mean to start a new thread?
Why, yes I did!

That'll teach me to post something in the morning before my coffee has kicked in..
Old 06-05-18, 08:11 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Unless you need the back pockets (which I think is totally unnecessary for 1-2 hour workout rides) Dri-fit tight fitting combine workout tops from Nike, UA, Reebok, etc are 10-15$ all day every day. I've been asked several times "Where did you get that jersey?" and had to point out the logo and tell them it was a combine workout top.
Old 06-05-18, 09:31 AM
Lazyass

Hello all,

Cheers!
You will not be hotter wearing black. That's a myth. The bedouins who live in the desert wear black robes.
Old 06-05-18, 11:44 AM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You will not be hotter wearing black. That's a myth. The bedouins who live in the desert wear black robes.
That's not entirely true.

The black robes worn by Bedouin differ from a bike jersey in one important way: they're thick. That thickness insulates the wearer from the outer layer of the robes, which heat up because black absorbs heat (not just infrared, but also radiation in the visible spectrum--that's why it's black). This works if you're relatively sedentary, in 120°F heat. But if you're active, then the insulation will prevent your body from cooling via sweating, by preventing the sweat from evaporating, which is an endothermic reaction. (NB: if you touch a white object in full sun, you'll note that it's much cooler than a black object of similar material, which is due to the fact that white objects reflect both infrared and visible-wave radiation, which is why it's white.)

Having said that, a black jersey should feel just as cool as a white jersey in the same riding conditions, assuming that you're sweating and that the two jerseys are adequately facilitating the evaporation of said sweat. But just standing around, looking cool after a ride? Black will heat you up much more quickly.
Old 06-05-18, 12:03 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by anon`
That's not entirely true.
It's entirely true. Of all the research and studies done on the subject, not a single one found that you're hotter wearing black vs white. As a matter of fact, it was found that if you wear black, you cool down faster after getting out of the heat.
Old 06-05-18, 01:28 PM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compelling citations. I'm sure that those studies explain why every solar heating device is black (increased absorption of thermal radiation results in increased conduction to whatever is on the other side), and why white (and similar) are such a favored colors for dwellings in sunny desert environments (increased reflection of thermal radiation results in less absorbed heat to be radiated or conducted inward), or why a well-insulated ice chest stays so cool for so long (increased insulation results in slower conduction of absorbed heat into the interior). I suppose they'll also explain how the visible color of "white" is not due to complete rejection of all visible-wavelength electromagnetic radiation, and how "black" is not due to complete absorption of same. Probably also how the laws of conservation of mass and energy don't apply in this situation, and how faster cooling under black clothing certainly isn't due to the increased temperature gradient that can result from... increased heat absorption.

In the context of cycling:
  • Black jersey, standing around on a hot, sunny day: The jersey, by virtue of it's black color, will absorb thermal radiation from the sun. Part of this will be radiated back off the jersey; this is why it feels warm to the touch compared to a white jersey. Part of that absorbed radiation, however, will be thermally conducted through to the wearer. This will cause the wearer's body temperature to rise, and may result in sweating. You will feel hot.
  • Black jersey, riding on a hot, sunny day: Same absorption of thermal radiation as before, with subsequent re-radiation and transfer to the wearer. However, as the wearer sweats, the jersey will (if it's well-designed, at least), absorb that sweat and, while still in contact with the body, see it evaporated. That's an endothermic reaction that causes your skin to cool. The same thing can happen with a loose garment, assuming sufficient transfer of air to the outside (but who likes a flappy jersey?).
  • White jersey, standing around: Unlike black, white rejects all electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum, reflecting it back into the atmosphere. As a result, it heats up much less than black does, not having any retained energy to radiate back into the atmosphere. So now, our hypothetical rider is cooler, because his jersey has less absorbed energy that can be conducted through to the skin.
  • White jersey, riding: Our rider will probably stop sweating sooner in the white jersey, because there was less retained heat within the jersey itself. However, evaporative cooling (in a dry climate, at least) is so efficient as to make the effective difference with the black jersey marginal, at best. As relative humidity increases, however, evaporative cooling becomes less effective, and the effect of riding becomes more like the effect of standing still.
It should be noted that the less thermal radiation one is being exposed to, the less effect of color. This is why a black solar heater in the shade really doesn't work all that much better than a white one, and why white and black make less and less of a difference in the winter, as you move further away from the equator (or at night, at any time of the year).
Old 06-05-18, 01:38 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I recall @Lazyass bringing up the Bedouin example previously, which I thought was interesting, so I did some reading about it. As you might guess, the reasons why they wear black is complicated by cultural norms and other non-environmental factors. That said, it seems that because they wear their garments loosely, color has little effect on the amount of heat they gain.

I thought this provided a pretty good summary of the issue: Clothing colour and heat stress | The Thermal Environment
Old 06-05-18, 02:35 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
I recall @Lazyass bringing up the Bedouin example previously, which I thought was interesting, so I did some reading about it. As you might guess, the reasons why they wear black is complicated by cultural norms and other non-environmental factors.
In Desert Shield, when we were in the desert for 6 months surrounded by them, we asked why they wore black. Because we assumed it was hotter and were curious. One guy told us it's because they make their clothes from the coats of their black goats. And is no hotter than lighter colors.
Old 06-05-18, 03:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's entirely true. Of all the research and studies done on the subject, not a single one found that you're hotter wearing black vs white. As a matter of fact, it was found that if you wear black, you cool down faster after getting out of the heat.
That's because it is a "Black Body Radiator."

Black absorbs and radiates heat faster. It is why rims on real race cars are flat black.
Old 06-05-18, 04:00 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dwing
Unless you need the back pockets (which I think is totally unnecessary for 1-2 hour workout rides) Dri-fit tight fitting combine workout tops from Nike, UA, Reebok, etc are 10-15$ all day every day. I've been asked several times "Where did you get that jersey?" and had to point out the logo and tell them it was a combine workout top.
LOL ok, because you don't use pockets they are totally unnecessary for everyone else? I carry my phone, ID/credit cards, pump, and house key in my pockets, regardless of ride length. Not trying to stuff all that into a saddle bag. I'd go so far as to say I've never seen anyone wearing a dri-fit shirt as a cycling jersey.
Old 06-05-18, 04:03 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
I am looking for some jerseys for this Summer and found the high-end Summer jersey brands thread, but I am looking for some good cheaper ones .

I normally prefer solid light colors jerseys and had a pair of Spotti ones, but there are very few colors and none on my size on Amazon.
Then, I found the Bpbtti brand for 15 bucks and got one to try it out.

Any good jersey on cheaper side you recommend?

For my shorts, I am very happy with the Santic ones.
Aliexpress. You can find solid colors (or close to solid colors) if you search enough. Most have designs, but I've seen some that are pretty basic. Most are under $15. The problem is finding jerseys that fit properly, though most have sizing dimensions given.
Old 06-06-18, 04:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
That's because it is a "Black Body Radiator."

Black absorbs and radiates heat faster. It is why rims on real race cars are flat black.
I'd tend to agree.. and of course we may be able to extrapolate that any color in-between is similarly a non-factor. But.. why are "Sun Sleeves" only mostly available in white*?

*I did come across these, but can't say I'd wear them
Old 06-06-18, 04:54 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Voler jerseys are fairly inexpensive in their basic style, and made in USA.
Old 06-06-18, 05:36 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Hmmm, Team Sky seemed to do pretty well wearing black jerseys.

However, they've gone to white jerseys this year. Froome wins Giro d'Italia.

I never had much luck with the cheap jerseys. Even less with cheap shorts. But comfort is relative so

The thread title was "Good summer jerseys" so I'll recommend Castelli inferno or their Free AR.

Last edited by bbattle; 06-06-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 06:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd tend to agree.. and of course we may be able to extrapolate that any color in-between is similarly a non-factor. But.. why are "Sun Sleeves" only mostly available in white*?
I've come across black ones here and there, but I would bet that the biggest reason is marketing/perception. Most of these things are going to hang on a peg or be viewed online and, for the most part, they have to sell themselves. If you're the producer of a product, why fight an uphill battle relying primarily on, let's face it, frequently under-trained LBS sales people? From the LBS perspective, why give up peg space to low-ticket items that, more often than not, would require customer hand-holding when a lower maintenance option exists?
Old 06-06-18, 07:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'll throw a vote out for the Canari Optic Nova. The fit is... decent. A little long in the front. But they are thin (Canari claims a 30+ UPF, but I've gotten a bib tan right through the jersey) without being see-through, and you can buy yourself a whole drawer full of them-- because they run $15-25 apiece on Amazon, depending on the color and size. I have three of them, and they all get worn regularly through the summer. If you like horridly bright colors, you're in luck there too. The Killer Yellow and Glow Stick Green are an assault on the eyes. And hey-- it's a $20 jersey. Most of my T-shirts cost more. If they lasted through one summer I'd call it a bargain.

I picked up a Sugoi Climber's Jersey on eBay for 15 bucks, and it is nearly as cool as not wearing a shirt. But it is also about as opaque as not wearing a shirt. My chest looks like when a bearded bank robber stretches a nylon over his head. No one should have to see that.

I have only a few black jerseys (I think.. 3?) but they get worn year-round. I don't notice being any hotter in them than in any other color-- I have a blue Castelli jersey that is one of the warmer short-sleeve jerseys I own. It basically only comes out in spring and fall. As I've previously said in similar threads, the construction of the jersey is far more important than the color. A jersey made to be cool will be cool even if it's black. I wish that Sugoi was black.
Old 06-07-18, 01:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Here are some leftover 2014 garments on clearance at Backcountry.com

https://www.backcountry.com/rc/2014-...ce&page=1&nf=1