Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help healing some unfortunate paint damage.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 08:11 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

So I placed my bike up against my house the other day and thought I seated well when suddenly the front wheel turned and it glided down a corner. I have stucko exterior that's like a thousand time knives (I've even cut myself going around the corner, these walls draw blood!). Heres the damage....

Two scratches, well two spots with damage. One same both same side of TT about 4 inches apart. I found a place that sells imron(imrom? The old trek paint from this vintage). They said they could put it in a spray can and charge me about 15 bucks. My intention is too spray the paint into a small dish and use an artist's brush to fix these. I have a couple questions about it though.
1. For the shallow scrapes (pic 1) should I sand the area down to metal so that I have one big spot paint over or try and paint in each scratch?
2. For the deep chips (pic 2) I'm thinking of just leaving them and adding one dot of layer at a time untill flush with the the other paint. Is that a good route?
3. Will spaying the paint into a dish make it paintable like a can or do I need to anti up and buy it in liquid not aerosol form?
4. I neef a kickstand! I dont like the way they look but now I've paid the price for my vanity. Any suggestions on good ones? The vice champ style scare me because of the compression to the chain stays and the paint damage they incur. What other options are there?
Old 12-29-18, 08:11 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Also the bike is red even though the pics make it look pink.
pic of the scratches from farther away for size refrence....

Not that noticable from a distance but It was damn nesr perfect and i want to fix it if i can haha
Old 12-29-18, 08:37 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Dang that sucks. These Treks are known for their durable paint. Honestly the easiest thing you can do is get some fingernail polish and fill in the spots.
Old 12-29-18, 08:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
@Buellster, I would dedicate some parking aids, wall slats or the like, maybe a wood assembly pallet like secured to the stucco with straps to secure the bike. Simple bike rack at the place too so it is set up for the task.

I would also take a foam sanding block to the flesh eating stucco before somebody really gets hurt, kids?

The paint in a can may not lend it self to touch up well with a brush, while complete area repair can be tricky to match shine, gloss and actual exact color as well.

Last edited by merziac; 12-29-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:35 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I have used the spray paint into a cup and brush it on method and it will work but the paint seems to be pretty thin so it will spray. I have let it set a few minutes to thicken up. Like has been mentioned nail polish works pretty good if you can get a color match and one that isn't translucent. Model paint is made to brush on and will work too if you have a Hobby Lobby store nearby. I have taken a fork to stores & beauty shops looking for touch up supplies. Gets you some strange looks
Old 12-29-18, 09:42 PM
MB33 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
If that's Trek's "race red", I've found Wet n wild Fast Dry red nail polish is a perfect match. I got mine from Walgreens, this color here: Wet n WIld Red

Make sure you have the work area level and use gravity to assist in getting a smooth level coat.
Old 12-29-18, 09:48 PM
Reco Very
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
It's been a while since I bought paint, but it used to be an upsell to have it put in aerosol cans. Also, if they can do spray, ask about touch up pen or brush.
Old 12-29-18, 10:04 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by MB33
If that's Trek's "race red", I've found Wet n wild Fast Dry red nail polish is a perfect match. I got mine from Walgreens, this color here: Wet n WIld Red

Make sure you have the work area level and use gravity to assist in getting a smooth level coat.
And when you are done you can give it to your S.O. for her birthday! Win Win deal
Old 12-29-18, 10:05 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
@Buellster, I would dedicate some parking aids, wall slats or the like, maybe a wood assembly pallet like secured to the stucco with straps to secure the bike. Simple bike rack at the place too so it is set up for the task.

I would also take a foam sanding block to the flesh eating stucco before somebody really gets hurt, kids?

The paint in a can may not lend it self to touch up well with a brush, while complete area repair can be tricky to match shine, gloss and actual exact color as well.
its got a home inside, it's just outside. I think I need to just buy a kickstand haha
haha it would be A LOT of sanding as the whole exterior is covered in the stuff. Also it's a rental and I'd rather not so anything that the landlord may charge to redo.
The shine is exactly my fear. Would a gloss clear coat work? I fear it wouldnt match the current CC.
Old 12-29-18, 10:09 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MB33

THANK YOU
I believe it is.
Here is a better pic of the red

It is a 1987 Trek Elance 400T
Old 12-29-18, 10:10 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I have used the spray paint into a cup and brush it on method and it will work but the paint seems to be pretty thin so it will spray. I have let it set a few minutes to thicken up. Like has been mentioned nail polish works pretty good if you can get a color match and one that isn't translucent. Model paint is made to brush on and will work too if you have a Hobby Lobby store nearby. I have taken a fork to stores & beauty shops looking for touch up supplies. Gets you some strange looks
Noted. Lots of votes for nail polish.
how do I keep the nail polish from driving up in uneven lumps? Do I sand it down so it matches with some ultra fine grit?
Old 12-29-18, 10:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
its got a home inside, it's just outside. I think I need to just buy a kickstand haha
haha it would be A LOT of sanding as the whole exterior is covered in the stuff. Also it's a rental and I'd rather not so anything that the landlord may charge to redo.
The shine is exactly my fear. Would a gloss clear coat work? I fear it wouldnt match the current CC.
Seems like you could still fashion a landing pad of some sort for now.

Sounds like the landlord should fix the stucco before he incurs a negligent injury claim/suit.

Hard to say, I had some paint matched and put in a can, it's effectively two stage as it has the hardener built in, you whack the bottom of the can to mix it then shake and spray recommended to be done by a painter with respirator. Has cc mixed in but my expert painter friend had me get separate cc in case we need it.

Last edited by merziac; 12-29-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 10:17 PM
TXsailor

Noted. Lots of votes for nail polish.
how do I keep the nail polish from driving up in uneven lumps? Do I sand it down so it matches with some ultra fine grit?
Try to do it in one coat because it will dissolve the polish under it when you add a coat. If you do add more coats don't brush it any more than you have to. Once its even or higher than the other paint you can sand it gently with 1500 or 2000 then buff it with fine compound.
Old 12-29-18, 11:28 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Try to do it in one coat because it will dissolve the polish under it when you add a coat. If you do add more coats don't brush it any more than you have to. Once its even or higher than the other paint you can sand it gently with 1500 or 2000 then buff it with fine compound.
Sorry, total newbie with paint here. By fine compound you mean another paint or....?
Old 12-29-18, 11:30 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
OP,
For deep gouges like that, I have done the following:
1. Laid my bike on its side with the scratches pointing up (as parallel to the ground as possible) in order to minimize the sagging that always seems to occur when using a brush.
2. Take your time and do a few at a time..do not try to fill the holes with one shot of paint, just dab. be careful not to go beyond the edge of the scratch, it will pool up and touch the edges of the scratch..let dry and dab again until there is just a little paint above the surface of the original surface.
3. Let the paint completely dry.
4. Use a sanding block, a piece of wood is fine along with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper and sand down to bump close to the original finish and the polishing compound for the final polish.
I would spend the 15 for the color match as nail polish hardly ever matches and you will need to buy several bottles in order to combine and get close to your bikes color...paint from the dealer should match first time out and be easier on your time.
Always worked for me.
JM2c's, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-30-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 12:40 AM
TXsailor

Sorry, total newbie with paint here. By fine compound you mean another paint or....?
What we mean by compound is rubbing compound. Its a fine abrasive in a paste form that will remove the fine sanding scratches. It can be used by hand or with a buffer. It may also shine up the surrounding paint so you may want to do the whole tube or even the whole bike. Its not wax so when you get it like you want it you can wax it with any good automotive wax. I am surprised that they will or can put Imron in a spray can. Its a two part paint with the base and a activator. Once mixed it gets hard.
I hope this helps
Old 12-30-18, 12:43 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
OP,
For deep gouges like that, I have done the following:
1. Laid my bike on its side with the scratches pointing up (as parallel to the ground as possible) in order to minimize the sagging that always seems to occur when using a brush.
2. Take your time and do a few at a time..do not try to fill the holes with one shout of paint, just dab. be careful not to go beyond the edge of the scratch, it will pool up and touch the edges of the scratch..let dry and dab again until there is just a little paint above the surface of the original surface.
3. Let the paint completely dry.
4. Use a sanding block, a piece of wood is fine along with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper and sand down to bump close to the original finish and the polishing compound for the final polish.
I would spend the 15 for the color match as nail polish hardly ever matches and you will need to buy several bottles in order to combine and get close to your bikes color...paint from the dealer should match first time out and be easier on your time.
Always worked for me.
JM2c's, Ben
You are right $15 is pretty cheap if they match the color right.
Old 12-30-18, 12:46 AM
TXsailor

Also the bike is red even though the pics make it look pink.
pic of the scratches from farther away for size refrence....

Not that noticable from a distance but It was damn nesr perfect and i want to fix it if i can haha
That seat angle makes my "taint" hurt just looking at it. Nice bike!

Last edited by TXsailor; 12-30-18 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 04:46 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Bikes are like that.....
Sometimes all it takes is for you to think that you bike will fall after you propped it up against something,....IT WILL FALL!
I have caught many of my bikes in mid fall after I just had a feeling they were going to fall.
Makes one think of getting Flickstand for one's bikes, but crap, they kinda ruin the looks of the bikes you put them on plus they usually cover up part of a bikes' brand decal on the down tube....
My solution is to always bring along one of those short tarp bungies with the small plastic ball at the end of the loop. I put that around the down tube, just below the shifters and through the spokes of the front wheel so when I lean my bike against a wall, it is never in danger of turning its front wheel and falling over.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 12-30-18, 06:49 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 406 Posts
I also carry a small wedge of wine bottle cork (weighs 'nothing'). I can pull the front brake lever and lock it down with that wedge. Keeps the wheel from rolling. My machines have never come close to rolling away. Never wished for a kick stand. OR if you use a strap or an elastic for you right pant cuff, wrap that around the front brake lever to lock your 'parking brake'.

OP, as to that stucco - put up an arbor for climbing roses or grapes. Lean the bike against that. Ram a cedar post into the ground there, for a bird feeder. Move your trash can to that spot. Lean an old mattress against the wall there. Lay the bike down on the grass. Brilliant, ain't I?
Old 12-30-18, 07:30 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Probably no one wants to hear this, but the cure for that kind of damage is time and more damage. It eventually becomes patina, which is fine thing--it looks great and requires no maintenance. It's only the first few scratches that hurt. Bikes that are ridden do get scratches. It's natural. Old bikes with perfect paint are unnatural. Whenever I see one I think of Dorian Gray--"Wow, I bet that guy has a painting of a really beat-up old bike in his attic."

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-30-18, 08:05 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Really, really cool bike! Good luck getting the match correct!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-30-18, 10:19 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That seat angle makes my "taint" hurt just looking at it. Nice bike!
haha!
Yeah that's what happens when you adjust it looking down on it and think "yeah that looks good" without checking from the side. The seat got a huge rip in it on its second ride out, probably a total of 3 miles on the seat before SNAP(by me God knows how many miles before that). So I didnt have time to realize it was set up weird. The other brooks will be at a more reasonable "taint friendly" tilt haha
Old 12-30-18, 10:20 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I also carry a small wedge of wine bottle cork (weighs 'nothing'). I can pull the front brake lever and lock it down with that wedge. Keeps the wheel from rolling. My machines have never come close to rolling away. Never wished for a kick stand. OR if you use a strap or an elastic for you right pant cuff, wrap that around the front brake lever to lock your 'parking brake'.

OP, as to that stucco - put up an arbor for climbing roses or grapes. Lean the bike against that. Ram a cedar post into the ground there, for a bird feeder. Move your trash can to that spot. Lean an old mattress against the wall there. Lay the bike down on the grass. Brilliant, ain't I?
Thank goodness it's not just me. It's cool to hear the creative solutions that are not kickstand.

Also that arbor is a grand idea, I think my land lord would prefer that over an old mattress haha

Last edited by Buellster; 12-30-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 10:25 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Probably no one wants to hear this, but the cure for that kind of damage is time and more damage. It eventually becomes patina, which is fine thing--it looks great and requires no maintenance. It's only the first few scratches that hurt. Bikes that are ridden do get scratches. It's natural. Old bikes with perfect paint are unnatural. Whenever I see one I think of Dorian Gray--"Wow, I bet that guy has a painting of a really beat-up old bike in his attic."
I know, I know. When it happened I spent about 10 minutes chanting "It is your commuter bike. Damage will happen, you only paid one hundred dollars for it. It is your commuter bike. Damage will happen, you only paid one hundred dollars for it ...." and so on haha
I'm more interested in repairing it because it's my commuter, I think it would make a good test platform for when I try my hand at repairing other bikes, and I'll have lots of opportunities because this wont be the last scratch it gets. (That last bit hurt to say but is so true)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.