Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Kettler Verso Cologne

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Kettler Verso Cologne

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 01:07 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me add some comments to your prices...

Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
Admittedly, I might have played a "tiny" role in creating the price confusion...

Just to set things straight, here are the (shipped) prices for all 4 bikes discussed in this thread:

Downtube Nova $361.50 Fenders, rack, and bag extra
Origami Crane $328 Bag extra
Kettler VC $266 $283.06 with sales tax (shipped to store) All included
Miami Citizen $228 Rack and bag extra. Steel frame all the others are aluminum

@edwongIII - I'm surprised you didn't suggest the Greenzone VE as that fits in well with the bikes being discussed.

Also from Fenway's photos, his Tokyo Citizen has exactly the same cheap derailleur the Verso Cologne has.
At the moment that is by biggest compliant. That can be fixed for $16 + tax, or $12 + shipping off the web. And remember those horizontal rear drop outs, I figure that for $200 I can build a wheel with a SA 8-speed hub, spokes, rim, and tire. $483 for a folder with an 8-speed hub? The cheapest I have seen is about $900-1000.

Now if I was a fast, long distance rider, which I haven't been for 20 years now, I would want something much fancier. Except for the junky derailleur, this does seem to be fine for knocking about in a town that is only 5 miles wide. I think my longest usual trip is about 8 miles, and that is not one I am going to ride the bike for (Doctor's office. It also has a couple of miles of divided 4-lane with a 55mph limit and lots of hills. Such is life in a small town in the mountains of North Carolina. Not that the old winding hilly 2-lane with a 55mph limit was better).
Old 11-10-12, 01:11 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
@edwongIII - I'm surprised you didn't suggest the Greenzone VE as that fits in well with the bikes being discussed.
@JosephLMonti, Yes I know. I had one of those "Duh" moments so even though I own a Greenzone, it's almost like it didn't exist in the folder realm. But yes, after owning mine for a few weeks, I am very happy to have bought it. It is most definitely a legitimate contender in this class, and priced right.

Ed
Old 11-10-12, 04:34 PM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brief follow up with a photo showing the bike loaded in the Blazer.

Old 11-10-12, 06:31 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
@JosephLMonti, Yes I know. I had one of those "Duh" moments so even though I own a Greenzone, it's almost like it didn't exist in the folder realm. But yes, after owning mine for a few weeks, I am very happy to have bought it. It is most definitely a legitimate contender in this class, and priced right.

Ed
I'm glad you like yours. I've got few hundred miles on mine and I wouldn't recommend my model (which doesn't seem to exist anymore on their site - this might not be coincidence). The brakes, wheels, shifters, all pretty much shot. The frame itself, not including the folding handlebars (which also aren't doing so well) is solid.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-10-12, 10:22 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
hey you guys, there are a few of those z-grade bikes that you guys like on ebay right now. this one is newly listed and cheaper than dirt:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-fold...item3ccc55fed0
Old 11-10-12, 11:52 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
I'm glad you like yours. I've got few hundred miles on mine and I wouldn't recommend my model (which doesn't seem to exist anymore on their site - this might not be coincidence). The brakes, wheels, shifters, all pretty much shot. The frame itself, not including the folding handlebars (which also aren't doing so well) is solid.

Cheers,
Charles
I remember that model from more than 2 years ago, and thought to myself how "cheap" it looked but it seems Alan has really made sure to offer a vastly upgraded product this time around. I believe the GZ VE is a step above the Miami for instance, even though Citizenbike has improved the quality of their folders a lot too.

Happy trails,
Edward

Last edited by edwong3; 11-10-12 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 07:48 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
I remember that model from more than 2 years ago, and thought to myself how "cheap" it looked but it seems Alan has really made sure to offer a vastly upgraded product this time around. I believe the GZ VE is a step above the Miami for instance, even though Citizenbike has improved the quality of their folders a lot too.
FWIW, I purchased my folder more than 2 years ago, so that's consistent.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-21-12, 01:02 PM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A follow up on the Verso Cologne now that I have ridden the bike a bit.

It is pleasant to ride, probably not as pleasant as some of the expensive bikes, but it is not squirrelly or anything. I am finding that I do not like the tires much (Kenda Kwick 20x2.0, old style it seems from looking them up) the lugs on the sides howl when the bike leans and cause the whole bike to vibrate. I guess I can see why they discontinued them.

The front fork is steel, so apparently the only alloy parts are the frame and the wheel rims. Actually steel forks are an advantage if I want to put a drum brake hub on the bike; I would have to spread the forks about 10mm which I could not do to an alloy fork. Also somewhere on the web I have seen a front hub motor that will fit the 90mm forks (they say you should not use a hub motor on aluminum forks.

I moved the saddle from the Bianchi to the Verso. Nothing like a $150 Brooks B66 to upgrade a <$300 folder, heh? Other than the saddle, I do not think I am going to do anything to the bike until I have a lot more experience with it. I am liking it more. I think I can recommend it as a starter bike for those, like me, who are new to folders and can not actually see and try one locally.

A couple of people asked me about the folder on the greenway. They said they had read about them but never actually seen one before. That seems to be common around here.

The photo shows my 3 generations of bicycles. From back to front: The Dunelt 3-speed retro fitted to a Comfort Sports Model; I considered it my park bike. The Bianchi Advantage hybrid that I fitted for all weather commuting and uses as such for a couple of years before the traffic on inadequate roads got so bad where I worked that riding a bike was suicidal; then it got down rated to a runabout status. And. finally the Verso Cologne with the Brooks Saddle on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3-generations.jpg (101.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by graywolf; 11-21-12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 02:44 PM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Nice write up. Sounds like the stock rubber is a thumbs down. If you do replace them, what tires would you choose?
Old 11-23-12, 12:09 PM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice write up. Sounds like the stock rubber is a thumbs down. If you do replace them, what tires would you choose?
That is a good question. Not hard to answer for those with expensive bikes, but who is going to put $90 to $100 worth of tires on this thing? I would probably go with Kenda Kwest 20x1.5's at <$20 each, with shipping. I usually prefer high pressure tires.

But, as always, everything is a trade off. You can get cheap BMX style 20-inch tires at Walmart and its ilk, but those would probably be only good for temporary use. I kind of think that is what the tires on the bike are.

However, my knowledge about tires for folding bikes is limited. The 3-speed has some Taiwanese tire (hard to find the 26" English tires locally), and the Bianchi has ancient Kevlar belted tires that have never had a puncture flat. I think those are the two ends of the spectrum in bicycle tires. In 20x2.0 the Schwalbe Big Apple seems to be recommended most, but those are in that $100/pr range; as are the Continental Contacts, which I would prefer over the Schwalbe.
Old 11-23-12, 12:50 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
That is a good question. Not hard to answer for those with expensive bikes, but who is going to put $90 to $100 worth of tires on this thing? I would probably go with Kenda Kwest 20x1.5's at <$20 each, with shipping. I usually prefer high pressure tires.

But, as always, everything is a trade off. You can get cheap BMX style 20-inch tires at Walmart and its ilk, but those would probably be only good for temporary use. I kind of think that is what the tires on the bike are.
If you are looking for improvement, and want to stay in the $20/tire range, I'd recommend THESE .. Nice budget tire, I've used them before..
Old 11-26-12, 08:32 PM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I just ordered a pair of Kenda Kovert 20x1.95's and a cheap, but not as cheap as the one on the bike, derailleur.

The Koverts are rated 40-120psi, which seems to be great, as I can run them low on the greenway, and high on the streets. Any tire rated for 120psi has to be well made. Admittedly I am taking another chanch on these as I could find no reviews. That seems like a good thing because people are 10x as likely to write a bad review as a good one. For example I found several bad reviews of the Kenda Kontact by serious BMX'ers who do not seem to realize that the Kontact is a kid's bike tire that sells for $10-15. The Kovert usually sells for something in the $20-32 range, but they were on sale where I ordered them for only a couple of bucks above the Kontact. The Kontact would probably have been OK for my use.

How the Koverts will work out on a folder, I do not know. They are intended for Park and Street BMX use, which I think is a lot more abusive than I will ever be. The existing tires will go to the local Goodwill Store, from there they probably will wind up on some kid's toy BMX bicycle.