Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I want a Tern Link Uno but I have scoliosis.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 09:41 PM
Browntabby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I test rode a Link Uno on wednesday and liked it a lot but my scoliosis had become an issue . The saddle gave me low/mild pain in my sit bones as I rode over small bumps in the road. I had low/mild pain in my spine, chest and sit bones for about 3 days. Could a new saddle or thudbuster fix this? I am not interested in a full size bicycle or Recumbent. Thank you for any help.
Old 12-15-12, 10:13 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Browntabby
Hello everyone, I test rode a Link Uno on wednesday and liked it a lot but my scoliosis had become an issue . The saddle gave me low/mild pain in my sit bones as I rode over small bumps in the road. I had low/mild pain in my spine, chest and sit bones for about 3 days. Could a new saddle or thudbuster fix this? I am not interested in a full size bicycle or Recumbent. Thank you for any help.
I think you'll only know by testing one out. You might also consider wider tires with lower tire pressures.

What does your doctor/physical therapist say about riding?
Old 12-16-12, 05:47 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The curvature of my spine isn't normal and I seem to be particularly sensitive to shocks through the rear end (!). I wouldn't want to ride a Dahon without a thudbuster, it does a great job of absorbing impacts and unevenness. Having tried both the LT and ST versions for extended periods I'd recommend the ST version potentially with a softer-than-recommended elastomer, the arc of travel is better suited to road usage (rather than mountain biking) and it fits a folding bike better.

Of course if your scoliosis means that a riding posture causes problems then a thudbuster or rear suspension won't be a solution. Finding a posture that puts least stress on the worst affected regions of your back will be imperative.
Old 12-16-12, 09:43 AM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooks makes a range of sprung saddles ranging from the B66 with coils in the back through the B135 with double coils in the back and hairspring coils in the front and some inbetween models. https://www.brooksengland.com/catalog...+&+heavy+duty/
Old 12-16-12, 10:51 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by graywolf
Brooks makes a range of sprung saddles ranging from the B66 with coils in the back through the B135 with double coils in the back and hairspring coils in the front and some inbetween models. https://www.brooksengland.com/catalog...+&+heavy+duty/
Brooks springs are very strong. From my experience (B67S), they are harder than a Thudbaster or a Brompton standard elastomer.

Have you consider bikes with suspension? Here is one example https://www.origamibicycles.com/Mantis.php , there are others.
Old 12-16-12, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a friend with that situation, he rides is bike with a fairly short reach, to compensate for that.

of course how spinal bones grew as a result is not known ..

I have a thud-buster LT , there is a variety of different spring rate elastomers , for rider weight.
you can mix them. to get the right feel.

Another clever component, PanTour hubs .. they use an elastomer in between the axle and hub-shell ..
A small company in California..

they even have a popular folding bike model, for the 74mm wide forks they use..
Bromptonauts like them , takes out some chip-seal surface buzz ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-16-12, 12:04 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Would padded riding pants help?
Old 12-17-12, 12:18 AM
Browntabby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I have not seen a doctor or physical therapist about my scoliosis, because I don't have back/spine pain. I have only gotten pain from running for long periods (which I don't do)and when I test rode the link uno. I don't get pain from jumping rope. I still want the link uno I really like the way it looks, what kind of suspension do pantour hubs provide compared to a thudbuster?
Old 12-17-12, 06:43 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi,

As has been pointed out, a saddle won't make that much difference, but maybe a thudbuster or full/rear suspension might.

My advice in general is that if somebody is having issues riding an upright bike, they should consider a recumbent. I know you explicitly say you're not interested in a recumbent, but depending on your scoliosis, that may be your best option. Or, it may be absolutely horrible for you. (I'm assuming the former is more likely, but I'm not that kind of doctor... ).

Given your preference to folding bikes, here's one of my favorite recumbents, our own Sesame Crunch riding a Downtube converted to a Cruzbike:

Good luck!

Charles
Old 12-17-12, 11:01 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I have only gotten pain from running for long periods (which I don't do)and when I test rode the link uno. I don't get pain from jumping rope.
Scoliosis is lateral deviation of the spinal column. The normal S-shaped curvature of the spine is somewhat distorted because of this, and that curvature is what allows the body to absorb shocks from activity.

The fact that you don't get it with an activity which requires relatively little lateral movement (jumping rope) means you're not being asked to do much except up and down. Now introduce any activity where lateral movement is in play. Believe it or not, there's a fair amount of lateral movement of your upper body on a bike, as your hands and arms counterbalance the force of your legs working the pedals. Bingo.

So for you, bike fit is critical, and choosing a bike is critical, to get one that fits your dimensions and lateral movement tendencies. I know you're really hooked on the link, but I'd try as many different folding bike designs as I could to see what works best for you, rather than trying to get the link to do something else suspension-wise.

Don
Old 12-17-12, 11:25 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another factor is whether it's wise to go for a single-speed bike at all since lack of gear choices imposes a style of riding that necessitates the utilisation of the upper body in a way that might not suit.
If you can get hold of second-hand Dahon Boardwalk, Speed Uno or Tern Link Uno, plus thudbuster and try it for a while you can always sell it on without a loss if it doesn't work out.
Old 12-18-12, 01:57 PM
Browntabby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only folding bikes that are sold in my area are Dahon Tern and Montague. I think i'm going buy the Link Uno and trying it with thudbuster/saddle/big apple tires. I will see if that works, if not I'll sell it and buy a Downtube Fs 9sp and see how that works. Thanks again for the responses everyone.