Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you ride a women's bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Would you ride a women's bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 05:58 PM
Midtown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Undersized step thru frames, not mixtes, appear to be the bike of choice among men in Detroit who either don't own a car or have their license revoked.

I have this Shogun set aside for the day I may want to ride a mixte.

this is a beautiful bike. I have never seen one before. Can you tell me a little about it?
Old 10-20-14, 06:06 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride a women's bike? Of course/why not! I'm secure in my masculinity to ride one - but it's gotta be old and have some cachet. And it's called a "women's" frame. When did this term "step-through" come out? It's always been "women's" or "girls'" frame ever since I can remember. "Step-through" sounds like a term coined by used bike dealers who are over stocked in women's bikes so he calls them "step-through" to sell to unsuspecting guys.
Old 10-20-14, 06:40 PM
xuwol7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course, I have been looking for a Peugeot Mixte frame for a downtown/coffee shop bike.
I have an old rebuilt 26 x 1 3/8 coaster wheel set, 1950's vintage basket, rack, fenders, etc. all ready to go, just need the frame.
A nice Peugeot mixte frame is high on my list to add to my Peugeot collection.
A few years ago I built an early 1970's Raleigh mixte for my sister and she loves it and it rides very nice, it got her back into riding bikes after 25 years.

No fear guys, riding a mixte won't turn you gay or make you start craving show tunes...lol
Old 10-20-14, 06:49 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Men who ride mixtes are HOT.
Old 10-20-14, 06:57 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Midtown
this is a beautiful bike. I have never seen one before. Can you tell me a little about it?

Thank you.

I picked up the 1980's Shogun in NNJ at a very attractive price 2 years ago. It is a butted chromoly frame with perfect paint and looked like it had hardly been ridden. I have bought 3 Shoguns including this mixte, a men's identical model with same paint, and a Shogun 1000, with Shimano 600 Arabesque. All frames were nicely painted. The mixte components I believe are Shimano and Dia Compe, nothing special but easy to upgrade. I have recabled the bike, overhauled it and added whitewalls. 27" alloys.

Originally Posted by xuwol7
Of course, I have been looking for a Peugeot Mixte frame for a downtown/coffee shop bike.
I have an old rebuilt 26 x 1 3/8 coaster wheel set, 1950's vintage basket, rack, fenders, etc. all ready to go, just need the frame.
A nice Peugeot mixte frame is high on my list to add to my Peugeot collection.
A few years ago I built an early 1970's Raleigh mixte for my sister and she loves it and it rides very nice, it got her back into riding bikes after 25 years.

No fear guys, riding a mixte won't turn you gay or make you start craving show tunes...lol
I know a lot of old show tunes, since it was what we did as kids being only an hour from Times Square.

I buy almost every mixte I can find that is reasonably priced with decent paint, as I seem to find them easy to make appealing and command good resale value. I have over 10 awaiting bike stand time.

From Chicago via ebay, shown as purchased.

Last edited by oddjob2; 10-20-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 07:05 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
A really nice looking Super Sport in my size recently popped on my local CL. Only...it's a women's frame. Not a mixte, just a plain ol' Schwinn women's model. I'm tempted to jump on it anyway. I plan to use it for commuting and running around town, so the step through would actually be a nice feature (one that I've secretly always envied). What do you think, abandon ego and enjoy the ride?

Step-through bikes aren't just for women. They're also for men who've had a hip replaced or some other surgery that makes them less excited about standing on one leg and throwing the other over the top tube. Perhaps they're experiencing balance issues and are fine once on the bike but mounting it is difficult. They're also popular with men who will be getting on and off a bike multiple times in a trip. If you ever watch the film "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", the son does his fish shopping trips on a step-through bike made in India. I'm not seeing the conflict here especially in view of the part of the quote I bolded. Life is all about enjoying the ride. If you want it, go for it.
Old 10-20-14, 07:16 PM
xuwol7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats it oddjob2,
Love that Peugeot Mixte, the Brooks sprung saddle, fenders with the dyno lights, classic cottered cranks and the chain guard really sets it off.
I would ride that bike with a big goofy smile on my face.

I saw an old PBS show recently, this old house show featuring a bike shop/bikes in New England/ Adirondacks was that your shop?
Love my Vintage Peugeots and PBS...lol
(15year old tv with rabbit ears and the only channel I really watch).

My early childhood was spent listening to my Moms old record of the Music Man...
It didn't turn me gay...lol
I am a former boxer 6'2" 190# and am secure with my sexuality and actually looking forward to riding a "woman-s-bike"...lol
Old 10-20-14, 07:55 PM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I fixed up my daughter's girl's frame mountain bike for commuting. I used it for about three years. It was a mixte-style frame. When I wore out some drive-train components, I replaced them and made the bike all hers again (by taking off my rack, fenders, lights). I try to stick with function over form, but I cannot totally ignore how I may appear to others.
Old 10-20-14, 08:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I think mixtes look better with all-rounder or swept-back bars, but that's just a matter of taste.

If you can't swing your leg over the seat because cargo or a passenger is behind the seat, you might be able to swing your leg over the handlebars.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-20-14, 08:25 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Would I ride a woman's bike? Guess that all depends on if she said "yes".....otherwise I'd have to say "no" because that would be rude.
Old 10-20-14, 08:35 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with you, but the catalog sure doesn't.

Schwinn Super Sport

Here is a fully equipped sports model for girls who want quality and features usually found only on men's style bikes.
So the Super Sport can only be ridden by Jane Fonda in the movie "Klute" or possibly by Joan Jett?
Old 10-20-14, 08:37 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
So the Super Sport can only be ridden by Jane Fonda in the movie "Klute" or possibly by Joan Jett?
And hopefully soon by me. I think I'm going for it.
Old 10-20-14, 09:22 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
And hopefully soon by me. I think I'm going for it.
hey icepick_trotsky, I was going to suggest you just get the thing, clean it up, etc., ride it and if it doesn't work then give it to someone or sell it. It could be a fun project. You will​ post pictures. Right?
Old 10-20-14, 09:57 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
If it got me where I needed to go, hell yes.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-20-14, 11:15 PM
John Hood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden women's bikes in the past and I'm sure I will again at some point in the future, but I don't particularly like them and were I to buy one it would probably be with the intention of stripping it for parts.

I just don't find them visually appealing at all and I am still limber enough to hike my foot up over the cross bar of a 58cm frame. Then there's also the issue of strength. The only two frames that I have ever broken were both women's frames.
Old 10-21-14, 04:13 AM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The bike in the OP is a 1974 Super Sport Ladies' model with a 22" frame in Opaque Red: Vintage Schwinn Super Sport womens 10 spd

What is special about that is the Super Sport was technically discontinued in '73, however Schwinn actually continued to build them in '74 even though they were not listed in the catalog that year. Compared to the men's models the ladies' bikes have a much weaker frame (fashion/form over function), they were only available in small sizes (20" or 22" c-t that year) and in the case of the Super Sport they did not come with the desirable Brooks B15 saddle as seen on the men's models. Many Schwinn collectors look for the ladies' bikes because they are often a great source of pristine parts for restoring men's models. In this case the price is pretty high for a ladies' model but the condition is excellent and it appears to be missing only the original toe clips/straps.

Last edited by Metacortex; 11-04-14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 04:46 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
There you go. See? They're chick magnets, guys!
Old 10-21-14, 04:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Very few women ride womens bikes. Me? It's all about weight, handling and performance. It must have a top tube.
Old 10-21-14, 05:34 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

But for recreational riding no, I would not, and it's not because I'm a guy. It's because I don't ride in a dress or a skirt. I wear pants. If I couldn't get my leg over the saddle, for whatever reason, then maybe I would. If things were different, things would be different.
I agree.

When I started riding, I took turns riding my High Sierra and my sister's old step through World Sport- and it wasn't as "solid" feeling as the High Sierra. Not just because it was not a mountain bike, but because of the top tube construction of the bike. Of course, it wasn't a mixte.

But I guess I'll be the "it's a girl's bike" guy as well. For as much fretting as EVERYONE on this forum does about the care, feeding and appearance of their bikes- looks matter. From the clothes you wear to everything you choose to be visible about yourself- it speaks of you. When I see a man riding a step through- my first thought is that it isn't his. My next thought is that he's got a specific reason that he's riding that bike (IE a disability that doesn't allow for stepping over a diamond frame). However, I don't so much see 'well to do' men riding step through or girl's, or kid's bikes- it's generally the "no driver's license" and "I stole this off someone's front lawn to get some Milwaukee's Beast" types.

I don't particularly care what people are riding (as long as the bike isn't stolen), but the point is they're out there riding. And if they're happy on their bike- all the better. If I am able to, I'm going to ride the bike that I like the look and feel of.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-21-14, 05:48 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Interesting edit to twist my post bub. First thing I stated was yes I do, as in ride a womens frame then clarified it's a mixte.. mixte and standard womens frames are not the same. That's like saying a diamond frame and a recumbent are the same frame type. So what do you tell women riding a standard diamond frame, that it's a mans frame and they better put flowers and pink stickers on it? Even if this is joking.. I'm starting to get why some people feel this section is misogynist.
To be fair, it took a number of readings (after reading your reply post) to understand that your first sentence is two distinct subjects:

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Yes and I do, it's called a mixte. Step through frames also appeal for utility uses.

And to couple it with this post which is (to my mind) pretty clearly defining a "mixte" as any step through bike:

Originally Posted by daf1009
I think we should do away with the term "girl's bike"....it is a Mixte...plain and simple...or, if you prefer, a step through frame...but...what would you call a 60 cm Mixte? A girl's bike?
I thought your intial post was confusing. There's assigned and assumed gender roles in every society. I see nothing misogynistic about Ex Pres' post.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-21-14, 06:01 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Like speedos, "step through" frames are more accepted in Europe.
Old 10-21-14, 06:02 AM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hi @Velocivixen 74 Peugeot UO8 mixtie (in Europe it's considered an unisex bike) was my first foray into cycling, now used by my wife.

2006 Litespeed Bella, now owned by another rider, since the color was not appealing and I felt unselfconscious when riding.

My current possession, 71 Peugeot PX 10 recently acquired, which would fit most women because of the size.

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Old 10-21-14, 06:15 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
This was a woman's bike. She was a better rider than I'll ever be.

I would ride that woman's bike, but its too big for me! I can tell because the steering tube is more than one big lug! :-)
Old 10-21-14, 06:25 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I bought this a few months ago and promptly named it "girl bike". What say you? (I'm going to keep riding it anyway)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20141008_160846_Android.jpg (55.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 10-21-14, 06:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
That's an extreme sloping top tube.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.