Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike styling - How much does it influence your buying decisions..?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: How does styling influence your choice of bike?
Looks are not a factor, It's all about the way it rides.
23.53%
Looks influence my decision marginally
38.24%
Looks influence my decision significantly
35.29%
It's all about how it looks!
2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Bike styling - How much does it influence your buying decisions..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 07:20 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Gosh!...why is it that in all these polls there's never a voting option that fits me!...makes me feel like a weirdo!

That said?...I guess I have to type in my absentee ballot of...."BOTH OR BUST"

I haven't seen a bike geometry yet that can't be made to look popp'in with the proper paint and hardware....and money only spends once....so if it doesn't look as good as it preforms or it doesn't preform as good as it looks?....my cash and I are moving along because there's way too many bikes being made in this world than to waste my hard earned on anything that doesn't look as good as it rides and ride as good as it looks...so if it offends my eyes OR falls short in my functional requirements department?...I have a word for that...

"NEXXXTTTT!"
Old 10-19-14, 07:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Bikes with oversize tubes, deep profile rims and billboard graphics everywhere don't appeal to me at all.
Old 10-19-14, 07:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
Guess I'm delusional.
Old 10-20-14, 12:15 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Well quite honestly, i had to have this because it is down right sexy looking to me..
Which just goes to show how tastes differ. Nice enough bike, but those wheels? No thanks. They'd be OK without the lettering.
Old 10-20-14, 03:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Bikes with oversize tubes, deep profile rims and billboard graphics everywhere don't appeal to me at all.
Reynolds 531, investment cast lugs.....
Old 10-20-14, 04:58 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Just for the color..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek TTX Resized.jpg (103.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-20-14, 05:23 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure I have bought enough bikes to know exactly what influences me, but I voted 'somewhat'.

I found that across the various manufacturers there was sufficient selection of bikes that certain stylistic features (eg matte black paint jobs) only needed to be a small factor in my subconscious considerations to put them lower in the ranking.

In fact the particular bike I bought was on deep discount, and I fell in love with riding it - partly due to the tactile pleasure of operating the primarily-105 groupset. Now as to whether this was really noticeable by me (an inexperienced rider) or whether I was guilty of being influenced by internet-research that 105 was 'better' than lower-cost alternatives is a different discussion.

Attached Images
Old 10-20-14, 06:26 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Style would not be enough alone to make me choose a bike, but the style of something like the fugly carbon bikes often seen on this site would certainly stop me choosing one. Now if I was a racer and it would improve my speed that would be a different matter.

This is just my opinion, and I'm not renowned for my good taste, and I agree with the member who wrote recently about opinions being like a***holes.
Old 10-20-14, 06:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As an engineer, function is everything. That said, I probably wouldnt buy a pink bike. Flashy graphics do not make a bike go faster, or ride better.
Old 10-20-14, 08:53 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately looks are inportant to me which is why I nowadays always build a bike from the ground up. The ultimate was the Landshark which has custom paint and I searched high and low to get the right "retro" look components. I wanted a new bike that looked "old skool".

With the mountain bikes, 2 frames I bought because of the color choice (although I would have brought the frames anyway - I just had the ability to choose the color as well. both of these bikes have custom CK wheels -colored hubs - colored headsets, seat post collars, even tube stem covers). With the latest bike, my option was white so I built it up with purple Chris King and other blingy stuff to get the bike where I wanted it. While function is very important to me and definitely influences my choices, style and color are equally as important...

Maybe that's a "girly" thing...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 10-20-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 09:00 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
This is all good stuff.

I wasn't sure how it was going to play out.

I had a suspicion that given the 'intimate' nature of cycling, there would be less emphasis on aesthetic and more on the practical. (less than has been indicated by the poll and comments).

But it seems we pick our rides to reflect our tastes, our personalities and maybe even how we 'wish' we looked and performed in the saddle.

I've seen a lot of bikes, including some posted in this thread, that look very nice but I couldn't own. For example, the bikes with aero wheels and large lettering....I think these bikes look nice but I couldn't see myself owning one. The bike's image would create a standard in the mind of the observer that my riding could never live up to. We would look out of place together, like me dating a super-model.

In a similar way I see some more utilitarian bikes which would probably be a better reflection of who I am, but I also wouldn't own one. Perhaps I'm a frustrated playboy trying to give out a more upscale image....hmmm...I'll have to think more about this one.

Anyway, it's really interesting to see all the different reactions to this thread. It's no biggy - but enlightening nevertheless.

Cheers for being good sports and chiming in! (and for keeping it all very civil)

Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-20-14, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Steel .. lugs look nice (RB1), but Tig welding is OK too.. or Fillet brazing (Brompton) ..
Old 10-20-14, 09:31 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
This is all good stuff.

I wasn't sure how it was going to play out.

I had a suspicion that given the 'intimate' nature of cycling, there would be less emphasis on aesthetic and more on the practical. (less than has been indicated by the poll and comments).

But it seems we pick our rides to reflect our tastes, our personalities and maybe even how we 'wish' we looked and performed in the saddle.

I've seen a lot of bikes, including some posted in this thread, that look very nice but I couldn't own. For example, the bikes with aero wheels and large lettering....I think these bikes look nice but I couldn't see myself owning one. The bike's image would create a standard in the mind of the observer that my riding could never live up to. We would look out of place together, like me dating a super-model.

In a similar way I see some more utilitarian bikes which would probably be a better reflection of who I am, but I also wouldn't own one. Perhaps I'm a frustrated playboy trying to give out a more upscale image....hmmm...I'll have to think more about this one.

Anyway, it's really interesting to see all the different reactions to this thread. It's no biggy - but enlightening nevertheless.

Cheers for being good sports and chiming in! (and for keeping it all very civil)

Keep 'em coming.
As you ride more and try different bikes, it becomes easier to understand what makes a bike function and what doesn't. For most recreational cyclist it simply a matter of finding the right fit, tires and gearing. Beyond those key factors, is does become a matter of taste and style. The details only become important with extreme uses or expectations.

Fit involves the geometry of the frame, the shape and firmness of the saddle, and the ergonomics of the handlebar and controls. If these items are right for you, the bike can be made to fit with a few adjustments. Pedals need to fit your expectations and shoes need to be comfortable and supportive.

Tires are an underappreciated component. The right tire, in the right size, can improve both safety and performance.

Gearing also needs to work as dictated by the cadence and power of the rider and the contours of the terrain.

These basics are overlooked by many cyclist. However, get these elements right and the rest is a matter of budget, special needs and taste. My 1986ish Serotta is 98% as fast and comfortable as my 2012 carbon bike. These bikes couldn't look more diverse, but they both follow a similar formula with similar results.

Remember that it's the motor, and not the bike, that determines performance.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-20-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 04:51 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Requirements planning and available technology often yield similar designs with minor aesthetic efforts to set the mfg apart in every era.

The steel frames adorned w/ Campagnolo components that were ubiquitous "back when" were 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other in actual performance despite the loud protestations of loyal adherents of the British or Italian frame camps. That being said one chose and cherished the 531 or SL machine for qualities beyond seatstay attachment methods or BB threading. Bicycles are intensely personal machines, we literally put a lot into making them go and a well chosen bike should "speak" to the owner.

Here's a pic of my Vitus which worked better for me than the steel frames of the 70's. I still enjoy just looking at it many years on:

The CF Merckx has replaced it for long challenging rides, still getting used to how it looks but it does go very well indeed.

-Bandera
Attached Images
Vitus_1.jpg (96.9 KB, 18 views)
Merckx_1.jpg (41.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-20-14, 05:13 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I feel the same way. I ride vintage, but if I had to buy a new bike style would matter a good bit. I think many of them are ugly.
Old 10-20-14, 06:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Best thing about our tandem is that the paint sparkles in sunlight. And all the cool kids ride bikes with mismatched wheels.

Old 10-20-14, 07:26 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Bandera
Requirements planning and available technology often yield similar designs with minor aesthetic efforts to set the mfg apart in every era.

The steel frames adorned w/ Campagnolo components that were ubiquitous "back when" were 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other in actual performance despite the loud protestations of loyal adherents of the British or Italian frame camps. That being said one chose and cherished the 531 or SL machine for qualities beyond seatstay attachment methods or BB threading. Bicycles are intensely personal machines, we literally put a lot into making them go and a well chosen bike should "speak" to the owner.

Here's a pic of my Vitus which worked better for me than the steel frames of the 70's. I still enjoy just looking at it many years on:

The CF Merckx has replaced it for long challenging rides, still getting used to how it looks but it does go very well indeed.

-Bandera
Both the Merckx and the Vetus are really great bikes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-20-14, 08:16 PM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Syling influence me? No way I am influenced by what others perceive as cool or fashionable. I am totally into function over form.

Well, I might I have said that last week. I just bought this bike on Ebay. I totally don't need it, but I think it is so cool for a folding bike that it should be a collector's item. N + 1
Attached Images
Dahon Coca-cola.jpg (99.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-01-14, 08:42 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I like lugged steel frames and the 80's "garish" paint jobs, so I look for bikes with those features. My favorite bike to ride right now is a 1989 KHS Montana Summit in the (then) KHS Team Racing colors of Raspberry and Blue. (Yes, "Raspberry" is also known as "Hot Pink") The KHS has a lugged steel frame, too.
Old 11-06-14, 08:40 AM
MikeD1

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Bought this Because of the frame style

Her shirt makes the frame look so good.

This must be the over 50 forum, not one comment about how pretty that young lady is! Oh, and yep that BMC is a good looking machine.
Old 11-07-14, 11:00 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My next bike will be white even if I have to dismantle and paint the damn thing myself. I have no idea why it must be this way, but it must.
Old 11-07-14, 11:43 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd never buy a bike that I thought was ugly. However, an interesting thing seems to happen. If bikes are a great ride, perform in the way I want them to, and do so without beating me up, they always seem to start looking better. At the same time, if eye candy doesn't perform up to my expectations, it always starts to look less attractive. But, if it's blue.... then I can't be anywhere near objective about these things.
Old 11-08-14, 08:37 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
One of my bikes was built for heavy duty service. Winter, technical trails, commuting and loaded touring. Every component is heavier than needed: 40 spoke wheels, mountain bike cranks and rear derailleur, the list goes on. It's not meant to be aesthetic.

It is aesthetic though, at least in my eyes. That is definitely classic beauty right there!
Old 11-08-14, 09:29 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
It is aesthetic though, at least in my eyes. That is definitely classic beauty right there!
In an Military Hummer is both aesthetic & beautiful kind of way!
Old 11-08-14, 10:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Style is very important to me - it has to have round tubes, no flashy graphics on the wheels and Campy components. That rules out about 99+% of all bicycles being assembled today. Call me picky. BTW, my definition of stylish may not be mainstream.

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-08-14 at 10:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.