Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Headphones when riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Headphones when riding

Old 12-04-17, 08:25 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Bizman
If you have a link so I can reference and copy about this that would be great thanks!

Here is the link in reference: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...while-driving/

"Cellular communication" is what is quoted as being OK at that link for Pa, I don't see anything or have found anything stating about music, talk shows etc being allowed?:

"Headphones or earbuds prohibited while driving. Single-ear audio systems for cellular communication okay, as are hearing aids".

§ 3314. Prohibiting use of hearing impairment devices.
(a) General rule.--No driver shall operate a vehicle while wearing or using one or more headphones or earphones.
(b) Exception.--This section does not prohibit the use of hearing aids or other devices for improving the hearing of the driver, nor does it prohibit the use of a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear, nor does it prohibit the use of communication equipment by the driver of an emergency vehicle or by motorcycle operators complying with section 3525 (relating
Old 12-04-17, 10:50 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
§ 3314. Prohibiting use of hearing impairment devices.
(a) General rule.--No driver shall operate a vehicle while wearing or using one or more headphones or earphones.
(b) Exception.--This section does not prohibit the use of hearing aids or other devices for improving the hearing of the driver, nor does it prohibit the use of a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear, nor does it prohibit the use of communication equipment by the driver of an emergency vehicle or by motorcycle operators complying with section 3525 (relating
Thanks for the quote from the vehicle code, I have saw this before! I have wrote 2 responses to this and the site keeps wanting to reload losing everything. A call to the police dept today said that listing to music on a cell phone is not allowed but it could be hard to prove what you were listening to so he would probably not bother. I had more to a add but I have spent to much time trying. Good luck if you do listen to music on a cell phone!
Old 12-04-17, 10:59 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by reidconti
Funny thing is, my motorcycle helmet has "helmet speakers" that fit right againt my ears (what are the odds? )

Blurring the line between headphones and speakers
A call to the local police dept (in PA) said that helmet speakers would be ok as you could still hear other noise, emergency services, etc. I really don't see the difference but that's what he said? I am sure a different police dept may have another take on it. He did say the use of ear plugs WAS NOT allowed. I used the reference of a deaf person and he said that is a condition that they can't control, putting ear plugs in your ears IS something you can control.
Old 12-07-17, 07:55 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
I have a handlebar mount for my phone so I can listen to music using the phone's speakers and see my Strava app while I'm riding.
Old 12-07-17, 08:16 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
rather than being punished by the police, the penalty for not hearing traffic is getting run over and killed or injured. Kind of a Darwin thing

it's probably illegal to drive a car into a bridge abutment or into oncoming traffic, but the police penalty is the minor consequence

I see drivers of cars with earbuds in all the time, and assume the police see them too

Fortunately this is a debate that will continue to resurface forever. It's the gift that keeps on giving
Old 12-07-17, 08:35 AM
hastyrails

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use those ones who are around your head, that is not falling off. I don't know how they are called. some sports earplugs or something like that.
Old 12-07-17, 08:52 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
I use them all the time while cycling. Sometimes one in out, one in and sometimes both in. I am extra cautious and they never impair my ability to be aware of my surrounding to the point where I am a danger to others. It also depends on surroundings and leverl of traffic/roadway type.

Safe and happy cycling everyone!
Old 12-09-17, 07:47 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Riding on fire roads I’d possibly do it.In traffic on city streets are a no no for me.
Old 12-11-17, 01:01 AM
AlexGreenwald
Banned.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is not that advisable to wear headphones when biking because you can't hear or it's difficult to hear the vehicles that are passing including its beeps. You can still use it but on one ear only to still hear the people and vehicles around.
Old 12-11-17, 02:34 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Poor deaf people, they must be constantly facing legal repercussions from not abiding by the law in ignoring surrounding noises they're not able to hear...
Old 12-11-17, 08:44 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Poor deaf people, they must be constantly facing legal repercussions from not abiding by the law in ignoring surrounding noises they're not able to hear...
The sarcasm isn't that funny. I had an accident where someone who was deaf didn't hear my horn. It was a roundabout where the inner lane offered a choice between curving left and staying straight. Despite the lack of a turn signal he assumed I was going left when I was actually going straight, and when I saw him in my mirror coming fast I held the horn down, which did absolutely no good.
Old 12-11-17, 10:34 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 222 Posts
I hear traffic fine with headphones and music even when I have my winter helmet on. I wear earplugs in the summer season to ease wind noise and I hear traffic fine even then.
Old 12-11-17, 12:14 PM
johnje
Average Idiot

Bikes: 88 Davidson Impulse, 90 Specialized Hard Rock, 09 Specialized Allez, 17 Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I hear traffic fine with headphones and music even when I have my winter helmet on. I wear earplugs in the summer season to ease wind noise and I hear traffic fine even then.
Even with my earbuds in, and (metal) turned up pretty darn high, and my balaclava on, I can hear cars as they pass. I can't hear them from far away, but then if I don't have headphones in, all I can hear is the wind, tons of regular traffic noise, and can't distinguish "car approaching" noise until they're passing.

I don't see what the heck knowing a car is approaching is going to do for me. I stay in the bike lane, any driver paying more attention to text messaging than their lane position is going to run me over, whether I can hear them or not.

The only situation where I don't wear headphones is riding through city streets. For example, downtown Seattle, and mostly that's for verbal exchanges at stoplights. (Drivers telling me to go first, asking for directions, etc..)
Old 12-11-17, 01:48 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I see people doing it all the time in real life and in Instagram/facebook social media posts.

I would never do it, because I want to hear the inattentive teenage girl texting about GoT before she plows into me and makes my children and wife sad.

Also, if you do something like this, apparently you enjoy the ride less than other people. I sleep better at night knowing that my lack of music while riding keeps me warm. Makes me better than you as well, that I enjoy my rides more.
Old 12-11-17, 01:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
The sarcasm isn't that funny. I had an accident where someone who was deaf didn't hear my horn. It was a roundabout where the inner lane offered a choice between curving left and staying straight. Despite the lack of a turn signal he assumed I was going left when I was actually going straight, and when I saw him in my mirror coming fast I held the horn down, which did absolutely no good.
sarcasm was not the intent. the laws that some states/areas have is not funny when it discriminates against the impaired. courteous driving can go a long way, so much that it may save some handicapped person's life.
Old 09-30-18, 05:27 AM
jitenshajin

Bikes: Far too many

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just consider the increase in the amount of accidents caused to pedestrians being distracted by using headphones to listen to music, especially in this age of the ubiquitous smartphone. Surely, we need all our senses working as optimally as possible, when cycling. There are an ever increasing number of cars and trucks on the road and I have heard that they can hurt you, if you are involved in an accident with them.
Old 09-30-18, 07:44 AM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I use afterskokz bone conduction headphones and can hear the environment pretty well and consider them safe. I hate when I come across pedestrians on the trail with earbuds. They never hear me announcing that I’m passing and have had close calls because of it.
Old 09-30-18, 11:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by frogmorton
I use afterskokz bone conduction headphones and can hear the environment pretty well and consider them safe. I hate when I come across pedestrians on the trail with earbuds. They never hear me announcing that I’m passing and have had close calls because of it.
I assume they don't hear me even though I use a loud bell. I'm ready for sudden and irrational movements.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-18, 11:12 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I use just one (right ear) wireless earbud. No trouble hearing everything around me.
Old 09-30-18, 11:15 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Sorry, I am not a very good multitasker. Before I tried riding my bike with any sort of music and ear buds, I tried walking my dog early one morning while listening to music with my Ipod. I simply hated it, if I listened to the music, I could not concentrate on the ambient sounds around me. Other people may be able to sort things out, but I can't. For me the best choice is to ride with only the music that goes through my head.
Old 09-30-18, 11:23 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I ride with headphones...not in-ear but on ear small bluetooth ones. They pass all ambient sound to my ears, don't block it at all. But honestly, even if I didn't wear them, using a rear view helmet mirror, turning around - visual input not audio - is what keeps me alive. There are so many electric cars where I live that there is no auditory warning of approaching cars anyway. My mirror is my "Prius detector". I ride in traffic and it's not an issue. The only time anyone has ever honked at me was when they were behind me and I was taking the lane and they were being ******** and I was already acutely aware of them. Sometimes I might drop the volume a bit, to be able to talk to drivers, but the headphones have a volume limiter so they don't get super loud, anyway. In those instances where I have forgotten them, I find I "space out" more on the ride and am actually less aware of my surroundings; with music on, I remain tuned in and alert. No, I wouldn't ride with in-ear buds as they do block sound (but again I can't hear those electric cars anyway).
Old 09-30-18, 12:16 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sorry, I am not a very good multitasker. Before I tried riding my bike with any sort of music and ear buds, I tried walking my dog early one morning while listening to music with my Ipod. I simply hated it, if I listened to the music, I could not concentrate on the ambient sounds around me. Other people may be able to sort things out, but I can't. For me the best choice is to ride with only the music that goes through my head.
Hit the nail on the head. If you think you need, or indeed use, headphones, the danger is one thing, but the denial of the world in which we live is sadness itself.
Old 09-30-18, 01:24 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My choice. Bluetooth motorola buds for bike, gym and motorcycle.
Get em refurb'd and clean it with a good disinfectant.
Old 09-30-18, 04:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
...but the denial of the world in which we live is sadness itself.
Yes it is, and IMO an emotional preference for listening to street and traffic noise over the spoken word (as in audio books or pod casts) or music is a truly sad example of such denial.
Old 09-30-18, 04:38 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I use cheap knock off Bluetooth earbuds with ear hooks. I don't listen to music much. Mostly podcasts. I've never felt like they impair my ability to hear cars coming from behind, but like others have said, I take my position in my lane and if someone isn't paying attention and hits me, hearing them first isn't going to help me much. I always do a shoulder check anyway, if I need to move out from the curb to avoid a hazard or to make a left turn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.