Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Adjusting reach

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 08:30 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Adjusting reach

Is it ok to slide a saddle back on the rails to compensate for a shorter stem? Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-26-18, 08:34 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
No, because it will throw the positioning of your legs out of whack
Old 06-27-18, 06:58 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
No, because it will throw the positioning of your legs out of whack

Yeah, kinda figured. I might try and put the stem on so that it is flat, then put my hands on the hoods of the handlebars to see if that gives me enough reach.

Dave
Old 06-27-18, 07:16 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
No.
Old 06-27-18, 07:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Yes.

When you set saddle set back on a bike with drop handlebars, you're usually setting the maximum forward set back position that isn't too far forward where you weight isn't too far forward over the pedals. That position allows you to balance on the saddle but still bend from the waist for a lower handlebar position.

For touring bikes, it is common to use more set back (re-check saddle height - you'll need to lower it a little), and then use a shorter stem raised a little bit. The net effect is to rotate your legs, pelvis, back and hands up and back. This puts more weight on the saddle and rear wheel.

I did this recently with a road bike because I wanted to use a 90cm Cinelli stem I'd been saving. Moving the saddle back 15mm made the reach to the bar normal for me and didn't affect pedaling. I just run my stem a little higher than I othewise would have.
Old 06-28-18, 11:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Do what you gotta do. Slide the saddle back and give it a try. If your legs complain about the new position, get a longer stem. Otherwise, enjoy the ride.
Old 06-28-18, 11:41 AM
Kontact 

If a rider's vertical position over the pedals mattered for pedaling, there would be no recumbents.
Old 06-28-18, 08:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Saddle position has nothing to do with reach.

Reach is the horizontal distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the head tube where it intersects the top tube.

Moving the saddle does not change reach. The only way to change reach is to buy a different frame.

The proper way to set up a diamond-frame bike is to set the following in order:
1) Saddle height relative to the bottom of the pedal stroke
2) Saddle fore/aft relative to the bottom bracket
3) Height of the bar relative to the saddle (saddle to bar drop) and distance from the saddle to the bar tops.

Step 3 is done with steerer height, stem length and angle, and to a lesser extent, the handlebar itself. A properly sized frame, one with correct reach, is assumed.

A saddle can be moved back to compensate for a shorter stem but it will always be less optimal than a properly fit bike as it moves the riders hips and knees relative to the cranks. This can impinge hip angles, compress the abdomen and impact breathing, and cause other problems. A worst case is extremely poor fit leading to injury over time. Reduced power and comfort are more likely. How much anyone can get away with is a personal decision.

Recumbents have nothing to do with proper setup of a diamond frame bike.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-28-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-18, 09:32 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Saddle position has nothing to do with reach.

Reach is the horizontal distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the head tube where it intersects the top tube.

Moving the saddle does not change reach. The only way to change reach is to buy a different frame.

The proper way to set up a diamond-frame bike is to set the following in order:
1) Saddle height relative to the bottom of the pedal stroke
2) Saddle fore/aft relative to the bottom bracket
3) Height of the bar relative to the saddle (saddle to bar drop) and distance from the saddle to the bar tops.

Step 3 is done with steerer height, stem length and angle, and to a lesser extent, the handlebar itself. A properly sized frame, one with correct reach, is assumed.

A saddle can be moved back to compensate for a shorter stem but it will always be less optimal than a properly fit bike as it moves the riders hips and knees relative to the cranks. This can impinge hip angles, compress the abdomen and impact breathing, and cause other problems. A worst case is extremely poor fit leading to injury over time. Reduced power and comfort are more likely. How much anyone can get away with is a personal decision.

Recumbents have nothing to do with proper setup of a diamond frame bike.

-Tim-
I don't know where you get this stuff, but I'm willing to bet you've been into cycling for a short time.

Stack and Reach are relatively new metics, but "reach" (lower case) is not. The OP is talking about the kind of reach that has always existed on bicycles.

Saddle set back uses all sorts of reference measures and tools that are horizontal and vertical for convenience, not because there is anything about pedaling that requires reference to graviity. You can pedal with equal efficiency right over the pedals, 6 inches back or two feet back. The main thing that changes is the angle of your butt and where your arms can reach.

There's that word again - reach. If the bars are too close you make the reach to them longer by adding some set back and adjusting seat height and angle, as well as bar height. You might end up sitting more vertical and less aero, but your legs won't know any different. Certainly all those random rando riders with their saddles further to the rear aren't having much trouble riding hundreds of miles that way.
Old 06-29-18, 10:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Slide away. KOPS (knee over pedal) is only a guideline. It's ok to vary from it a bit if it works for you. Just like every other "fit" adjustment.
Old 06-29-18, 01:16 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Stack and Reach are relatively new metics, but "reach" (lower case) is not. The OP is talking about the kind of reach that has always existed on bicycles.
When did these new metrics come about? This is the second time I've seen Stack and Reach brought up here in SSFG and I had no idea wtf people were talking about the first time. I guess I'm getting out of touch.
Old 06-29-18, 01:42 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by hairnet
When did these new metrics come about? This is the second time I've seen Stack and Reach brought up here in SSFG and I had no idea wtf people were talking about the first time. I guess I'm getting out of touch.
They're a little more than 10 years old, but they started in the Tri bike world where STA and HTA aren't close to parallel and weight distribution isn't as much of a fit concern.