Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Can you please steer me in the right direction for a used bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-07-18, 01:04 PM
abl2148

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a used "beater" bike (not TOO rough on the eyes) in the $150-200 price range and was hoping to get some guidance. I'd consider myself a novice rider, and due to spine issues I'd prefer to be in a more upright riding position. I'm 6'1" so I believe I'm looking for at least a 20" / 51cm frame? I live in Los Angeles and would primarily be riding in Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Hollywood and Downtown LA.

For reference, I currently own a folding bike with 20" wheels and suspension, but it's quite heavy at 34 lbs or so. Frankly, this is part of the reason I don't ride as often. I keep the folding bike in the trunk of my car because I don't have room in my apartment and it's safer than keeping it outside. However, I've decided that I want to lock the "beater" to a pole in my building's garage with a big metal chain, and if something happens to it I won't be too upset. Ultimately I want something lighter than my folding bike that I can just grab and go. It will be ridden on streets, sidewalks and paved bike paths, and there are tons of hills around.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions of specific bike models to look for, links to local Craigslist ads that seem to be good deals, or LA bike shops I should try to visit. Happy to provide additional info if that would be helpful. Thank you!!
Old 10-07-18, 01:13 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I've found that if one lives in a bad area where a bike can't be locked outside with any expectation of safety, then it won't matter whether the bike is a beater or not, it will still get stolen and/or stripped.

YMMV
Old 10-07-18, 02:04 PM
abl2148

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I've found that if one lives in a bad area where a bike can't be locked outside with any expectation of safety, then it won't matter whether the bike is a beater or not, it will still get stolen and/or stripped.

YMMV
I guess I should elaborate. I'm calling it a beater because I figure my modest budget of $150-200 probably won't result in me getting a bike that is especially eye-catching. That being said, I'm still trying to find the best option(s) for my price range and I'm not worried about whether it will get stolen or stripped.
Old 10-13-18, 07:30 AM
schiavonec

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
craigslist or garage sale are worth considering. a 90s steel mtb should be availanle for 100ish. put the rest into a new bottom bracket, cables etc. Per others, people that steal, dont discriminate so unless you want to shop (n) times a year, outside storage isn't optimal.
Old 10-22-18, 12:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Here's an early Specialized Rockhopper bike: Vintage specialized Rockhopper Comp mountain bike mtn, 22in frame, $99 (La mirada / Los Angeles).
Old 10-22-18, 12:10 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
You should be looking for a bigger frame if you are 6'1". I ride a vintage 58 and I am about 5'10-11"
Old 10-29-18, 05:25 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
By "used" I presume you mean "cheap". Go to WalMart. Have a real bike shop inspect and assemble it. Any used bike that cheap will either be stolen property or junk and need a bunch of work. At least everything on the department store bike will be brand new. If you skip the bike shop assembly it will fall apart quickly anyway. Beyond this, keep the tires inflated and the chain lubed.
Old 10-29-18, 05:31 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You can find several used flat bar or hybrid bikes on CL in your price range. Look patiently until the right one comes along. Facebook also has a "Market Place" for items too.
Old 10-30-18, 01:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by abl2148
Ultimately I want something lighter than my folding bike that I can just grab and go. It will be ridden on streets, sidewalks and paved bike paths, and there are tons of hills around.
In your area, on CraigsList, here are a couple of options that might suit you:

Diamondback Ascent, XL chromoly frame -- $100, in Moorpark.

GT Tequesta, 20in chromoly frame -- $150, in Santa Monica.

Specialized Expedition, 21in frame -- $200, in Santa Monica.

Univega Range Rover ES, 21in frame -- $95, in Redondo Beach.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp, L chromoly frame -- $90, in La Habra.
Old 10-30-18, 01:54 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I guess I should elaborate. I'm calling it a beater because I figure my modest budget of $150-200 probably won't result in me getting a bike that is especially eye-catching. That being said, I'm still trying to find the best option(s) for my price range and I'm not worried about whether it will get stolen or stripped.
If that's the case ... I would go to a local bike co-op rather than just buying from some random person.

Over here, the bike co-ops do training for people to become employable and the profits are reinvested the community, which we should all be doing with our purchases.

This is where I get anything done on my ride and recommend people use it.

Bicycle Recycling - Sales, Repairs and Hire

They also have a shedload of bikes outside for between £20 and £100 and it's by the university, which makes things easy.

These are usually professionally looked at before being sold (all bike shops here must have a "master".)

Thus, you'll get something excellent.

Most decent cities in the US have something similar.
Old 10-30-18, 02:02 AM
acidfast7
Banned

To keep it local to LA, I would hit these places, just pop by and see what they say and/or ask whether they have any bicycles available. Always see if you like the place and the people before supporting it with your business.

L.A. Area Bicycle Repair Collectives : CICLE ? Cyclists Inciting Change thru LIVE Exchange
Old 10-30-18, 11:06 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Save a bunch of time and money, unless you enjoy treasure hunting and know what you are looking at, mechanically speaking. Many CL bikes are stolen or so badly in need of repair you will spend more very soon. Just go to the nearest WalMart. Pick out a pretty one. Take it to your LBS for a "new bike tune". Ride into the sunset with all of the time, energy, and money you saved.
Old 10-30-18, 11:35 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
First, get a bike fit or do an online fit and determine what size you need. Don't even consider buying anything outside this size.

Personally, I find that Walmart type bikes rust and brake very fast. Super low grade materials.

I do buy occasionally off of craigs list. I tend to only buy in the welthier sections of town where people tend to take care of there stuff. Its not a good deal if it is rusty, beat up, out of tune and needs a lot of parts replaced.

Lemond bike fit chart
Old 10-30-18, 02:16 PM
abl2148

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I definitely appreciate the ongoing discussion and the suggestions -- particularly the Craigslist links.
Old 10-30-18, 04:17 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Unless you enjoy driving around town looking for used bikes and haggling over price I'd concur with @JoeyBike about Walmart or some other big box store. At least you have an option to return the bike no questions asked.