Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to Salsa Fargo Titanium?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 12-13-18, 01:36 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

I test rode the Tiagra Fargo last week and I really loved the drop bar MTB feel of it especially with the 29x2.6 tires. It made me want one as a winter/trail riding bike. However if I were to get one I would want the titanium, and with the price and limited availability, I wanted to see if there were any alternatives to a Fargo that can fit those 2.6 inch tires either in Aluminum/Carbon/Titanium?

Also side note: Can someone explain how they set up a Deore front derailleur to a 2x Tiagra road shifter 😳
Old 12-13-18, 04:50 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
There is another thread here about Unicorn Cycles, which apparently sells custom titanium frames, made overseas, for ~$1400 (imagine that is the base price)...even when you consider having to buy the fork separately, I would imagine they could beat the price of the Ti Fargo frameset, not to mention being able to tweak the geo to your liking...full disclosure I have never used them myself, just saw the thread here.

I have looked around however for bikes similar to the Fargo and there is little out there that can fit 29+ and run drop bars comfortably...The Willier Jaroon+ is the only other one that comes to mind...but if you really want Ti your only other choice is probably some sort of custom. Plenty of MTBs and Fatbikes that can run 29+, but if you want t convert them to drop bars it can be problematic.

Old 12-13-18, 05:39 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
BEAST

Old 12-17-18, 08:49 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Yeah, drop bar Ti frames with room for 2.4 29er tires (a very cool and desirable idea for me as well) are not exactly thick on the ground. Custom or boutique is likely the best option with bikes like the Moots Baxter or Mason ISO. I'm going to assume that since you're balking at the price of the Salsa, something like a Moots isn't going to work either. Steel, carbon or aluminum open up lots of somewhat more affordable options, for example: Hook ADV 2019 ? Bombtrack or https://www.honeybikes.com/packmule-...acking-series/ or . Also, you could build up a "traditional" Ti 29er frame to be drop bar assuming you by one with a short reach and a drop bar friendly front end. This is going to take some hunting, though.