Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In case of emergency...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

In case of emergency...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 06:03 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Here's the destructions for setting up Google location sharing: https://support.google.com/maps/answ...id&hl=en&oco=0

That Road ID app looks nice, though. I might have to check that out! It looks like it's better for recreational riding, whereas Google sharing is a good setup if you just want someone to know where you are in general (e.g. my SO can check and see I'm still at the office, and didn't get hit by a truck on the commute home.)
I haven't tried the Road ID app but my sister told me it is quite a drain on her phone battery.
Old 01-15-19, 06:33 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
By law in the USA, if you're out in public, you must have state issued photo I.D. on person if 18 or older.
A driver's license serves as photo I.D. Traveling out on an unbeaten path out in public does not exempt one from carrying proper I.D.
it's a requirement. America.
Um, no it's not. It's an exceptionally good idea to carry ID with you, but I'm unaware of any laws locally which state you have to have it on your person.
Old 01-16-19, 06:00 AM
pauoos
pauoos

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Tourmalet, 2000 Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
This isn't true.

I know it to be a fact because I was a law enforcement officer for 26 years. This is the only ID I carry when I'm out on my bike Currently I'm considering a chest tattoo that says "KEEP TRYING!!!"

Nice tattoo. What are you going to do if you get promoted to lieutenant?
Old 01-16-19, 07:38 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by pauoos
Nice tattoo. What are you going to do if you get promoted to lieutenant?
No threat of that, I retired in 2008

Occasionally, when I have reason to go back to the PD, all the youngsters (who are now much higher in rank than I ever was) call me "Sarge" and it seems very weird. This pic is when I was in charge of the Bicycle Patrol, I'm right behind the Chief of Police who is squatting. He went through the training and would occasionally ride on patrol with me and the other members. He made it a point during training that I was to show him "no mercy", which I didn't; he was a good man. Sorry for the off topic content; you definitely DO NOT have to carry identification in the USA.

Last edited by nomadmax; 01-16-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 08:03 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I haven't tried the Road ID app but my sister told me it is quite a drain on her phone battery.
i use it for my commute to and from work. So it runs give or take about an hour both ways. Sometimes if going for a longer recreational ride I will run it but sometimes not. I do wish that there was a way to share location with someone specific. I tried to figure out Find my friends app but I could not get it to work or be easy to turn on and off. I might need to do more research for the longer rides. I do tell her where I am going and we have driven most of my commuting routes.
Old 01-16-19, 08:05 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
No threat of that, I retired in 2008

Occasionally, when I have reason to go back to the PD, all the youngsters (who are now much higher in rank than I ever was) call me "Sarge" and it seems very weird. This pic is when I was in charge of the Bicycle Patrol, I'm right behind the Chief of Police who is squatting. He went through the training and would occasionally ride on patrol with me and the other members. He made it a point during training that I was to show him "no mercy", which I didn't; he was a good man. Sorry for the off topic content; you definitely DO NOT have to carry identification in the USA.

what is the vintage of this photo? what year are those bikes? that is a good looking group of LEO
Old 01-16-19, 08:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

I may have advanced beyond a little, however, the "Real I.D. Act" is selective at this point depending on where you may reside. Most state are compliant from the above link, IF I am reading it correctly.

I did not intend to come-off as "playing" anyone, but the name sure does fit. lol Best name selected by me ever!
Old 01-16-19, 08:34 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
what is the vintage of this photo? what year are those bikes? that is a good looking group of LEO
I should probably start another thread on this; I don't want to intrude upon the original topic.

I would say that's somewhere around 1995 to 1997 based on the personnel in the pic and a couple of the bikes I see. Most of them are Cannondales; I helped with the design/execution of one of the first OEM police bike here in the US, Cannondale.

If you look to the far left you'll see a blue fork, that's a Raliegh Technium MTB. We broke many of those, they usually came unbonded at the down tube and head tube; most of the failures were catastrophic as you couldn't see it was going to fail. After that, we used Specialized (I think Rockhoppers) and looking to the right between legs you'll see a yellow one. At our peak we had 35 including me, this photo was not all of us, the rest were on duty, in court or sleeping because they worked midnights.

Here is an earlier Technium bike, never mind the Reno 911 shorts

Last edited by nomadmax; 01-16-19 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 09:48 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I may have advanced beyond a little, however, the "Real I.D. Act" is selective at this point depending on where you may reside. Most state are compliant from the above link, IF I am reading it correctly.

I did not intend to come-off as "playing" anyone, but the name sure does fit. lol Best name selected by me ever!
The Real ID Act only sets Federal standards for identification that is of acceptable quality to the Feds IF a person wants to fly on a commercial airline, enter a Federal building/facility, or enter a nuclear power plant. It has nothing to do with whether any person has to have any kind of identification at any other time or for any other purpose.
Old 01-16-19, 09:52 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@RidingMatthew I had the RoadID with a clasp. I liked it well enough; that is when I remembered to wear the thing. I left it at home as much as I wrote it. For some reason I could never get in the habit of wearing the thing. Then my GF and I split and I figured there wasn't much point in wearing it anymore anyway.
Old 01-16-19, 09:52 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
By law in the USA, if you're out in public, you must have state issued photo I.D. on person if 18 or older.
A driver's license serves as photo I.D. Traveling out on an unbeaten path out in public does not exempt one from carrying proper I.D.
it's a requirement. America.
Incorrect.
Old 01-16-19, 09:53 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by Cuyuna
The Real ID Act only sets Federal standards for identification that is of acceptable quality to the Feds IF a person wants to fly on a commercial airline, enter a Federal building/facility, or enter a nuclear power plant. It has nothing to do with whether any person has to have any kind of identification at any other time or for any other purpose.
EXACTLY that ^^^^^^
Old 01-16-19, 10:04 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Find someone to ride with and use the buddy system.
Old 01-16-19, 11:28 AM
Cuyuna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
EXACTLY that ^^^^^^
This state (Minnesota) was one of the last states to approve Real ID option for its driver's licenses. The Feds kept postponing the implementation while Minnesota and a couple of other state tried to get their act together and get its driver's license criteria established. I opted to just go for a Passport Card instead. It was $65 and good for 10 years. Wallet-size...same size as my driver's license. Now I don't have to worry about whether or not my driver's license is valid ID.

Old 01-17-19, 04:13 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
ROAD iD

If anyone's interested, I just got a $10 code for ROAD iD

PM if you're interested.
Old 01-17-19, 04:43 PM
Milton Keynes

The REAL ID Act establishes minimum security standards for license issuance and production and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for certain purposes driver’s licenses and identification cards from states not meeting the Act’s minimum standards. The purposes covered by the Act are: accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft.
This hardly equates to "everyone is required by law must carry ID at all times."

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 01-17-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 04:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
I have a tag with my name, spouse’s contact, and insurance info, on a ball chain around my neck. From what I’ve seen of EMS and ER personnel and procedure, however, there’s an even chance no one will think to look at it. It will, however, ID my remains if I go over the side offshore and don’t wash up anywhere for a few weeks.
Old 01-17-19, 04:56 PM
Cuyuna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
This hardly equates to "everyone is required by law must carry ID at all times."
As you note, Real ID has nothing to do with having to produce one's "papers" at the whim of a random police officer.
Old 01-17-19, 06:40 PM
Jeff K.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have a tag with my name, spouse’s contact, and insurance info, on a ball chain around my neck. From what I’ve seen of EMS and ER personnel and procedure, however, there’s an even chance no one will think to look at it. It will, however, ID my remains if I go over the side offshore and don’t wash up anywhere for a few weeks.
If you are unconscious, with it around your neck they will certainly find it during their initial assessment unless they are completely and epically incompetent (15+ years as a paramedic in a previous life talking here).
Old 01-17-19, 07:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Jeff K.

If you are unconscious, with it around your neck they will certainly find it during their initial assessment unless they are completely and epically incompetent (15+ years as a paramedic in a previous life talking here).
A year as a medical intern and three as a neurology resident says you’re probably right, but I did see epic incompetence and also major trauma rooms with 7 or 8 highly competent people in them, each of whom was far too focused on something else to do more than snip it off.
Old 01-17-19, 07:28 PM
Milton Keynes

That's why I like the idea of the bright yellow Road ID wrist band, hopefully first responders will notice it. Anyone know exactly how big the tag on the band is?
Old 01-17-19, 07:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That's why I like the idea of the bright yellow Road ID wrist band, hopefully first responders will notice it. Anyone know exactly how big the tag on the band is?
The tag on the wristband I have, but don’t wear, measures about 45 x 20 mm. It is much more obviously informational than my little necklace.
Old 01-17-19, 07:46 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I use Garmin Live Track, so my wife knows where I'm at. Plus, being old and forgetful, I don't want to leave my DL in my bike stuff, so I made a copy of my DL , with phone number and other data, on the back side, and leave it in my saddle bag.KB
Old 01-21-19, 12:47 PM
bionicOldGuy

Bikes: Bike Friday Superpro, Trek ds 8.6 hybrid

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently had an experience of this hiking with a group. We came upon a young mountain biker lying unconscious next the trail. We had a couple of nurses and a vet with us so good emergency expertise. Fortunately we had cell reception so they called 911 immediately, then got him stabilized. They found his ID on his phone which not locked, they could get to his contact info and actually got ahold of his dad. Kudos to emergency services response, rangers showed up in a few minutes, firefighter EMTs in about 10. They got hiim transported pretty quickly., still unconscious. Unfortunately because of privacy (HIPPA) we could not get a followup on his condition.

I tell this to drive home the point that having ID is important, even for younger folks.
Old 01-21-19, 01:09 PM
EdGear
Edventurer

Bikes: 1998 Trek 5200, 2005 Cannondale Bad Boy, 2004 Cannondale Scalpel 2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry my license, credit card, medical insurance card and some cash in a small zip-lock bag.
It goes in my jersey pocket on road rides and shorts pocket on MTB rides.
I carry them on my body in case I am separated from my bike.
The cash is to buy food and drink, in case I didn't bring enough, or want a treat.
Most of my helmets have a sticker inside with contact information.
I also carry my cell phone for emergencies and because it's my camera.
I'm cautious about tracking apps because they could run down the phone battery.
I should find a good APP.
I ride with a heart rate monitor for medical reasons. I can ride further and longer if pay attention to my heart rate.
When I ride from the bay over the hills to the coast I'm on the smallest, most remote, backroads and there are large areas without cell coverage.
Most of these rides I am solo.
I have a Garmin InReach satellite communicator I use for motorcycle adventures.
It allows you to send and receive text messages at anyplace on the planet.
The text messages include your location.
I'll carry the InReach on solo coastal rides.
Only carry what you think you can use to keep yourself alive to ride another day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.