Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 02-17-19, 05:55 PM
harlond

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
Haha! Well, you have to admit it's better than endlessly talking about titanium prices (unless poutine means titanium in French)!

@linberl, I'm also in the East Bay... and can confirm the existence of a poutine restaurant in Berkeley. It's a Canadian chain (Smokes Poutinerie), but all they serve is poutine.
The Helix project will not be a success unless Peter ships every bike with a jar of poutine gravy.
Old 02-17-19, 05:58 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by harlond
The Helix project will not be a success unless Peter ships every bike with a jar of poutine gravy.
OMG... Now you've made me even more sad that I didn't get in on the Kickstarter!
Old 02-17-19, 09:37 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

Originally Posted by harlond
I'd pay more to get it WITHOUT the poutine, lolz.

Last edited by linberl; 02-17-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:16 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roegmann
Tom Bihn. Holy Moly, I never thought I'd stumble across a fellow Tb-er on this thread. I've got so many Bihn bags, my wife thinks I have stock in the company. Cheers to you brother.
There is a help group for people like us you know.
Brain Bag (an old one from 2000 still trucking along), Aeronaut (used all the time when travelling, Large Cafe Bag, Camera Insert (discontinued), Empire Builder, ID Messenger Bag, Night Flight Travel Duffle, Co-Pilot, and a host of small pouches, etc.

.... but back to folding bikes... I found if I removed the metal frame from my Brompton messenger bag, I could use it by itself with the ID Messenger bag - because I don't think the Brompton bag holds up very well in business settings.

To be honest though... I might be migrating away from TB. The bags are tough and great, but not really constructed for photography. Mind you, the Maker's Bag looks enticing...
Old 02-18-19, 07:51 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
News Flash!

The first pictures of a Helix in the wild have been posted by the owner of one of the first 5 bikes that shipped, a 10-speed.

It looks very good overall. No ride report yet.
Old 02-18-19, 08:06 PM
harlond

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
News Flash!

The first pictures of a Helix in the wild have been posted by the owner of one of the first 5 bikes that shipped, a 10-speed.

It looks very good overall. No ride report yet.
Link?
Old 02-18-19, 08:22 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Helix
Old 02-18-19, 08:22 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Anyone who says there's pics or video but doesn't link them should be banned.
Old 02-18-19, 10:36 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I guess I didn't realize it had a single front fork ( like a Giant Halfway). There's something about that which totally messes with my need for symmetry. Aside from that, it's a pretty sweet looking ride.
Old 02-18-19, 11:13 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hmm ride might be good, but it isn’t the world’s most attractive bike, is it? Anyway, at least one customer has one, which is good news.
Old 02-19-19, 12:38 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Hmm ride might be good, but it isn’t the world’s most attractive bike, is it? Anyway, at least one customer has one, which is good news.
Like many things in life, probably prettier in person.

On another note, I’m sure the delay in shipping is due to that ugly secondary lock mechanism on the fork. Peter probably had to take all the forks back to cut out holes for that lock, in addition to modifying the lock itself. Hopefully in the next iteration, that secondary lock "feature" disappears.

I would request to opt out of that lock, but I want no further delays for my own bikes.
Old 02-19-19, 05:15 AM
SurfHenk

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The backer of bike nr 5 shared these pictures, which is really kind of him:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9bky3u0w7...2hzKcva9a?dl=0
Enjoy!
Old 02-19-19, 06:08 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
Beautiful! The welding looks amazing. I find the overall appearance to be quite pleasing.

Interesting change in the seat tube/post from round to ovalized and the addition of the horizontal top with the adjustable QR on the mount for moving the saddle forward or aft. The only down side to this is there doesn't appear to be any means to tilt the saddle nose up or down to change the angle to suit the preference of the rider. Possibly I am wrong about this? It does look relatively easy to swap the saddle for a rider's preference, say a Brooks Professional or Swift.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-19-19, 07:18 AM
SurfHenk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Beautiful! The welding looks amazing. I find the overall appearance to be quite pleasing.
Interesting change in the seat tube/post from round to ovalized and the addition of the horizontal top with the adjustable QR on the mount for moving the saddle forward or aft. The only down side to this is there doesn't appear to be any means to tilt the saddle nose up or down to change the angle to suit the preference of the rider. Possibly I am wrong about this? It does look relatively easy to swap the saddle for a rider's preference, say a Brooks Professional or Swift.
As a backer, my understanding based on the information at hand is that the seat post is round.

And indeed, the seat can slide fore and after in order to achieve a compact fold when needed and yet allow to adapt the fore/after position of the saddle optimally to the rider.
The information provided to us backers is that there is a way to (slightly) alter the tilt of the saddle up or down by means of a dedicated screw.
And yes, the seatpost should accept any standard-railed saddle as long as it does not interfere with the fore/after mechanism and lever. I have no idea (yet) how restricting this might be wrt saddle choice..
Old 02-19-19, 09:52 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

I don't understand why the heck they designed the seatpost that way. It's much heavier than standard two bolt design, lacks angle adjustment, adds cost (more titanium tubing + one more welding) and has two possibly unsafe pointy edges.

Standard aluminium two-bolt seatposts are very light and dirt cheap nowadays (I got my 31.8*580mm post at only $20)
Old 02-19-19, 10:52 AM
SurfHenk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raxel
I don't understand why the heck they designed the seatpost that way. It's much heavier than standard two bolt design, lacks angle adjustment, adds cost (more titanium tubing + one more welding) and has two possibly unsafe pointy edges.

Standard aluminium two-bolt seatposts are very light and dirt cheap nowadays (I got my 31.8*580mm post at only $20)
Did you read the above comments?
Yes it is a bit heavier (but not much), numbers have been disclosed by Helix on the weight.
But it does allow for angle adjustment.
And it has the big advantage that the saddle can be slided inwards for a very compact fold and slided outwards for a good rider position.

I do agree that it is quite pointy in case one would lose the saddle and than have an accident. This is an unlikely situation (but of course can not be excluded), so maybe het can still further refine the pointy edges.

And obviously, if a user is really not happy or comfortable with this seatpost he could always replace it with another one. This is one of the aspects I really like about the Helix, it's use of as much as possible standard bicycle components.
Old 02-19-19, 11:13 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, the seatpost is a weird choice and limits comfort. I'm guessing it's a standard diameter and can be replaced? I am glad this project is finally happening. I would consider buying version 2 or 3 when the community reports no problems with the design. I'd still prefer a 20" tire that is fatter instead of a skinny 24". Maybe they will do other wheel sizes later.
Old 02-19-19, 11:36 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by SurfHenk
As a backer, my understanding based on the information at hand is that the seat post is round.

And indeed, the seat can slide fore and after in order to achieve a compact fold when needed and yet allow to adapt the fore/after position of the saddle optimally to the rider.
The information provided to us backers is that there is a way to (slightly) alter the tilt of the saddle up or down by means of a dedicated screw.
And yes, the seatpost should accept any standard-railed saddle as long as it does not interfere with the fore/after mechanism and lever. I have no idea (yet) how restricting this might be wrt saddle choice..
The prototypes definitely show a round seat post and seat tube. But take a look at these pictures. They are not round by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 02-19-19, 12:13 PM
SurfHenk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The prototypes definitely show a round seat post and seat tube. But take a look at these pictures. They are not round by any stretch of the imagination.

I have to admit you make me doubt now.
My understanding was that the seatpost is round. But I am not sure now whether that is the case still..
Old 02-19-19, 01:04 PM
Raxel

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Did you read the above comments?
Yes it is a bit heavier (but not much), numbers have been disclosed by Helix on the weight.
But it does allow for angle adjustment.
And it has the big advantage that the saddle can be slided inwards for a very compact fold and slided outwards for a good rider position.
I do agree that it is quite pointy in case one would lose the saddle and than have an accident. This is an unlikely situation (but of course can not be excluded), so maybe het can still further refine the pointy edges.
And obviously, if a user is really not happy or comfortable with this seatpost he could always replace it with another one. This is one of the aspects I really like about the Helix, it's use of as much as possible standard bicycle components.
Sorry, I missed above comments.But I am still scratching my head because:

-Shrinking the X dimension will be more easily done by just rotating the seatpost by 90 degree (see the folded pic, there are enough space) rather than adding such a complex mechanism.
-Titanium is expensive, even as a plain tubing form. Google for how much a simple titanium handlebar cost.
To build such a seatpost one need to cut titanium tubing multiple times and weld them. And helix frame will already cost a lot to build due to its complexity.
Why add unnecessary expense?
Old 02-19-19, 01:40 PM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I have to admit you make me doubt now.
My understanding was that the seatpost is round. But I am not sure now whether that is the case still..
if you look at the other end of the seat tube, it is round.
Old 02-19-19, 01:51 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since the Helix thread is now only a few pages shorter then the entire Harry Potter saga, how about splitting it so newer bf members don’t have to wade through pages of adulation/criticism/speculation about a bike whose gestation took years? It could start at post 1690 a thread with the first posts of the genuine article in the wild.
Old 02-19-19, 04:13 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Avole on the first page if you click on view last read it brings you to the end. Roger
Old 02-19-19, 04:26 PM
Jipe

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
For the seat post, on one picture, it seems not round but on the seat tube it is written diameter 28.6mm what means that it is round.

But the first thing that came to my mind seeing the detailed pictures is that this frame is very complex with a lot of special CNC parts, it is much more complex to build than a classic road or mountain bike frame, more complex than a Brompton frame or a Tyrell frame too. Even not in titanium, this frame must be very expensive to build.

Is it a beautiful bike ? For me not but are there any beautiful folder ? On folders, the folding requirements dictate the bike design.
Old 02-19-19, 05:02 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Now here's something odd--- and more about the unique shape of the seat post and seat tube:

The top of the seat tube is the ovalized shape...

...however, the bottom of the seat tube, as joined next to the bottom bracket shell, as @Gibsonsean mentions--- is round!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.