Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 10:25 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Spring Mountain biking Moab for a week
Summer 2-3 weeks touring In Quebec Canada including the entire Gaspe Peninsula loop
Fall Great Allegheny Passage (GAP)
Old 02-17-19, 01:52 PM
Gypsy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heading South after some trial runs!

A week before June I'll head off from Rapid City to Denver for a meditation workshop and either head back or do a Nebraska ride ( Tour de "something") I just seen it but am ride/race across the state. In July, some friends want to take a trip to ride the twin cities ( they're driving, bike while there and drive back), I'll cycle there ahead and drive back with them. In August, I'm cycling to do the Ragbrai (Rapid City to Iowa) then cycle back. September/October start the trek South. I'm tied of Winter! Plan is to ride to Argentina, i have no routes, plans, or goals; just explore, have an adventure and enjoy life. I'll be broke so going solo is best. Wild camp and stay away from major cities. Doing the bike build now and will post all the specs and pictures. Happy Riding!
Old 02-22-19, 06:08 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
This will be our first bike tour. The hubby was skeptical about any kind of tour that would require him to get on the bike every day whether he felt like it or not because you have to get to the next place. So we agreed on a 2 -day trip with one overnight along the Loire a velo in France. At first we had looked at a package that included the bike rental, hotel, breakfast, maps/GPS and luggage transport. But the price seemed awfully high when we considered what a hotel in the town they were planning to put us actually costs. And if we can't carry enough gear for one overnight with us, then what are we even doing? So we booked our own hotel, and will just rent the bikes and panniers from the shop that was putting the tour together. The route seems to be pretty well established. The package didn't include any wine tastings, meals or admission to the chateaux. So what were we paying them for? The rest of the trip will be driving around in France, so we can leave most of our luggage locked in the car and just take what we need for the overnight with us on the bikes. We're not camping so don't need much gear. And the actual bike part seems pretty tame - 36 km the first day and 38 the second. Mostly flat terrain. As long as it doesn't pour rain, I think we'll be fine.
Wine tastings are normally free in France, but food (naturally) isn't. Check the supermarkets, too, the fruit and veggies will be fresh, but start early, as, by about midday, there isn't much that hasn't been punched or prodded to check for quality. There are lots of local markets, too, the locals will be able to tell you on what day. Finally, wine isn't expensive. It is still the case, though, that the region will tell you the grape, which may not be marked on the bottle. Chateaus may be free, although most are not.

Personally, I found the Da Vinci house the most interesting of the chateaus simply because of that link. Anyway, I do hope you enjoy yourselves, and, who knows, you may decide to leave the car behind
Old 03-12-19, 10:26 PM
e5usmc
Leisure Time Practitioner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planning to ride north from Bucks County, PA to the NY Catskills and continue north to loop the Adirondacks. Possibly continue east from the Adirondacks and cross through VT, NH, ME to Bar Harbor and return along coast. Figuring anywhere from 3 - 5 weeks. 900-1500 miles. No set route just destinations/points of interests planned a day or two ahead works for me. Fully loaded/self-supported but hotels, BnB's etc are hard to pass up after a hard day of riding.
Old 03-22-19, 07:17 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
weekend ride to anntwerp in 2 weeks. ride the 120 is km find a hostel ride back most likely solo, longer week ish long trip to paris and back 2 to 3 people total. besides that not sure might eb more short day/ weeknd trips now that weather is getting better
Old 03-22-19, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Booked my flight June 15th flight to Montana the other day.

All but the last few miles are mapped out:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29428535?beta=false

I
did much of this in 2017, but this time I am skipping Glacier National Park and adding the Route of the Hiawatha trail, which I am really excited about. That day will take me from ID into MT and then back into ID via the Hiawatha, part of the NorPac trail and part of the Trial of the CdL. I am also going to camp in a few different places than I did in 2017. For logistical reasons, I will probably spend the first night on the road in a motel in Superior. 13 days of riding with a "no-move day" in Yaak. Hoping to use that day to ride out and back into the wilderness via a Forest Service road that starts near my campground. The state parks in Whitefish and Bigfork. have special hiker/biker sites with cycling-related amenities, including power, bear lockers, pea gravel tent pads and repair stands. May stay at a third one like that just south of Seeley Lake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-22-19, 10:23 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 372 Posts
Met a girl who tours. Bought my first new bike in 20 years. We're heading up to VT in July. Life is good.
Old 03-22-19, 11:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by john m flores
Met a girl who tours. Bought my first new bike in 20 years. We're heading up to VT in July. Life is good.
Hope she likes hills.

I actually rode south from St. Albans, VT last spring. Made a stop at my 35th high school reunion in western Mass. then continued on home to Philly. If you stray from state highways in rural areas you might find yourself on unpaved roads. I had several stretches during my 2018 trip.
Old 03-22-19, 11:38 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I have a month carved out from mid-September to mid-October. I want to go back out to the southwest, maybe UT, AZ or NM. I live in rural New England and just love the huge vistas and dry air out there.
Old 03-24-19, 02:27 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My brother and I will take the ferry from Alameda to SF and spend the first week of May touring from SF to Santa Barbara. In 2017 we took a similar route, but the Pfeiffer Bridge was washed out, closing Big Sur so we detoured inland through King City. This will be my first trip through the Big Sur coast and I am looking forward to it.
Old 03-24-19, 03:25 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Well, I'm already in Arizona, so why not? 🤔😁 I plan on at least looking around the Grand Canyon, but no current plans to carry the bike. The bike's supposed to carry ME. 🙄😁
Plus, I've been through the four states now, that make up the "Four Corners" states, but still need to go to the actual intersection, if possible. It looks pretty bleak, on a map. 🤔
Well, as a reminder to myself, kinda, I did plan to visit the Grand Canyon. Dummy that I am, I didn't realize how close I got to it already, till I started checking mileage to my next town, lol. 🤪😁
Seligman is 25 miles down the road from my current location, and that's one of the main stops, to get to the Grand Canyon itself.
But hey, I never said I was a rocket surgeon. Good thing I didn't fall in, huh? 😁😉
Old 04-09-19, 07:00 PM
daveit1024

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On August 1st I will start my long bike tour throughout America. I will be starting in Denver, Co and spend most of August in Colorado, then head into Utah and Arizona. My goal will be to make to San Diego, in November and follow the Southern Tier Route into Florida and cycling around Florida for the winter
Old 04-15-19, 04:47 PM
Renato GF Naso

Bikes: Atala (racer) OK, Schrade (racer) OK, Mittelholzer (tourer) not yet, Künsting (city-bike) OK, Huffy (winter-bike [spikes]) OK, Graziella (tandem) not yet.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jinan, Shandong, P.R.C.; if not this year, later on...
Old 04-16-19, 03:17 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
headed out saturday towards antwerp from rotterdam. and cycling back the next day. just booked a cheap hotel for the night
Old 04-29-19, 05:12 AM
indyfabz

The last few Fridays have been very rainy, but I managed to get in a 115 mile bike-train-bike-bike-train-bike overnight this weekend from my home to a state forrest in NJ. Not bad considering I had only done two real rides of 25 and 30, respectively, this year.

A cedar lake along the way.

Arrived at my site.

Home away from home.

Boys gotta eat too.

The finished product.

My favorite little rest stop.
Old 05-06-19, 12:18 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Giving serious thought to Canadian Maritimes. Fly to Halifax, loop through Cape Breton Island, then across Prince Edward Island, and check out Bay of Fundy before return to Halifax for flight home.

If anyone knows if the campgrounds are likely to be full any time between start of June through early July, I would like to hear about it before I experience it. I do not plan to make reservations for campgrounds unless absolutely necessary. I plan to start and end at the HI Hostel in Halifax.
My wife and I have enjoyed several great tours in the Maritimes. We've only been turned away from a campground one time--at Risser's Beach Provincial Park on the East coast of N.S. The Maritimes are wonderful. If you have time, consider taking the ferry ride from PEI to the Isles de la Madeleines--a truly magical place to visit. We're planning to head to Cape Breton this summer. My wife is attending a week long step dancing camp in Mabou, then we'll cycle the Cabot Trail for a week.

David
Old 05-06-19, 02:15 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
David- In the event that you are approaching Cape Breton from the south or departing in that direction, be aware that the annual Stan Rogers Folk Festival is held July 25-28 at Canso. Every tent site and motel (there's only one motel) will be reserved in that area well in advance. Canso is on the NE Atlantic corner of mainland NS before you cross over to Cape Breton.

I cycled up to the festival from NH one year by way of the Portland ME ferry (now defunct, it has moved back to Bar Harbor). A wonderful trip, I stayed at the Sea Breeze CG near Fox Island/Hazel Hill.

Last edited by BobG; 05-07-19 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 03:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by David in Maine
My wife and I have enjoyed several great tours in the Maritimes. We've only been turned away from a campground one time--at Risser's Beach Provincial Park on the East coast of N.S. The Maritimes are wonderful. If you have time, consider taking the ferry ride from PEI to the Isles de la Madeleines--a truly magical place to visit. We're planning to head to Cape Breton this summer. My wife is attending a week long step dancing camp in Mabou, then we'll cycle the Cabot Trail for a week.

David
Thanks. By the time I get to PEI I should know if I am running ahead of schedule or behind. Roughly a third of my trip I planned to take on the Great Trail, and gravel touring is always slower than paved road touring so I am not sure how my schedule will work out. I have mapped out some shortcuts in case I am running behind schedule. Plane tickets are for June 4, returning home on July 11 (no flights on Boeing 737 Max 8), flying Air Canada.
Old 05-06-19, 05:08 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Vancouver!
Still deciding on the proper route, but will be heading from Calgary to Vancouver for three weeks after June 27th. Would be nice to make it to Vancouver on Canada day (July 1st).
I plan on doing a mix of warmshowers and camping if the conditions are right.
Old 05-30-19, 01:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Some great looking tours here! We've travelled a bit and included cycling but touring will have to wait a while.

Keep the stories coming!
Old 05-30-19, 09:16 AM
justsaymint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2 week + trip from Chicago to Lake Superior in Michigan's upper peninsula on my 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint.
Old 05-30-19, 06:46 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Giving serious thought to Canadian Maritimes. Fly to Halifax, loop through Cape Breton Island, then across Prince Edward Island, and check out Bay of Fundy before return to Halifax for flight home....If anyone knows if the campgrounds are likely to be full any time between start of June through early July, I would like to hear about it before I experience it.
Tourist-

The campgrounds may be full of Black Flies in June. The can be vicious in Nova Scotia. They're getting thick here in NH now. I remember having to retire to my tent just after dinner on my NS June trip. Be sure to bring repellent. You may also want to bring a head net for the campgrounds.
Old 05-31-19, 02:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Tourist-

The campgrounds may be full of Black Flies in June. The can be vicious in Nova Scotia. They're getting thick here in NH now. I remember having to retire to my tent just after dinner on my NS June trip. Be sure to bring repellent. You may also want to bring a head net for the campgrounds.
Thank you VERY much. I thought about a headnet and decided against it. But, I just added it to my pack based on your comment.

I have repellent packed, did not check to see how full the bottle is, but I will either check or add another small bottle.

I decided to leave the mosquito netting pants and jacket at home. Looks like it will be cool enough that I do not need to wear shorts and short sleeve shirt in evening, that is the only time I use the netting pants and jacket.

I leave on Monday, in final stages of packing. About ready to take my bike with loaded panniers around a loop near my home with a tall steep hill and a long shallow downhill to test for bike handling with a load.
Old 06-01-19, 09:54 PM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A friend and I are riding the Natchez Trace Parkway June 16-24. South to North. It will probably be hot. We have had previous hiking/biking trips that were kind of on the cool side. So this one could get our average trip into the comfortable range.
Old 06-02-19, 10:06 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't toured since 2014 when I did the ECT with my then 5 year old. That was quite an adventure, I had intentions to do other tours since then but life always got in the way. This year I'm getting married, and my bride - a long time runner - decided to surprise me the other day when she asked if we could go on a cycling honeymoon. So here we are, a little over a month out, planning our tour. We only have one week, due to our work schedules (and a little obligation to celebrate our nuptials with family/friends), so I think we're going to do the ECT. Just the two of us, so we're shooting for 5 days and staying in B&Bs/hotels each night.
Likes For MikeRides:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.