Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Best Portable Nutrition for Gravel Century

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-27-19, 08:36 PM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm Cliffed and gelled out! What are people eating on 4-8 hr rides other than energy bars and gels?
Old 02-27-19, 10:14 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Generally, real food that you already know that you like.

peanut butter and jelly
peanut butter and honey
cookies
fig bars
olives
almonds
burritos
string cheese
payday bars

what do you like?
Old 02-27-19, 11:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Kind squares
cutie orange
apple sauce(packet)
fruit leather
protein bar

Mostly natural sugars and grains.
Old 02-28-19, 05:01 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I don't eat much - I use Infinit Nutrition - calories in your water bottle - I use it for all my Century and longer rides.
Old 02-28-19, 05:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I mix up single serving ziploc bags of maltodextrin and protein powder (7:1 by weight) and put it in my water bottle for long rides.
Old 02-28-19, 09:53 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
There is a product unlike anything on the market. Its called UCAN. It is unique in providing a steady flow of energy no matter how much you take.

With pretty much everything on the market, if you eat/drink twice as much you get twice as much boost, but over the same duration.

With UCAN, if you eat/drink twice as much, it you get the same energy level, but it will last twice as long.

It was initially made for a medical application, but is invaluable for endurance sports. It metabolizes at a steady rate and pretty much ensures that I don’t bonk when on a long ride. Read “our story” for more details: https://www.generationucan.com/our-story/

I hate to sound like a shill, but I hate getting 2-3 hours into a ride and bonking. By then it is too late to recover, and its just a sufferfest. Ucan doesn’t give me a burst of energy or make me feel like superman – it ensures I have a steady energy supply.

Besides that, I usually eat something natural, like a Kind Nut bar, and make sure I'm taking electrolytes (NUUN works good)
Old 02-28-19, 10:20 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Snack size Payday bars. Protein, fat and carbs.

Cheaper than any of the other stuff on the market.

I also bring along some cured meat (jerky or sausage) for the salt and protein.

Probably going to add some figs and dates into the mix as well.
Old 02-28-19, 11:55 AM
MPE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
RX bars, but my body usually craves Fig Newtons, pickles and coconut water!
Old 02-28-19, 12:05 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Rice Crispy treats (or equivalent cereal marshmallow things) works for me. Second is something like Fig Newtons or any type of granola bar. If there was an easy way to carry jelly donuts, I would. Me and nuts don't seem to get along anymore so I skip those. Something that packs a punch, is cheap, has a wide variety is fruit cake but in my house it's all gone by January. On my last century I supplemented those above with a stop at McDonalds and a few things from the $1 menu. Nothing is magic and there is no miracle food or product that can give you super powers. Only convenience and friendly packaging and possibly some slick marketing.

Last edited by u235; 02-28-19 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 12:35 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by chas58
There is a product unlike anything on the market. Its called UCAN. It is unique in providing a steady flow of energy no matter how much you take.
I'd never heard of UCAN before. A little research reveals it to be hydrothermally modified starch. For $60 I can get a 24.7 oz tub of UCAN (20x120 cal servings) or a 50 pound bag of maltodextrin (over 700x120 cal servings).
Old 02-28-19, 01:27 PM
chas58

yeah, you could just buy a bag of corn starch too. But maltodextrin’s glycemic index is higher than table sugar, ranging from 106 to 136. This means that it can raise your blood sugar level very quickly. That is key. Nothing you can purchase has the long release cycle of Ucan (no blood sugar spikes). If that isn't valuable to ya, don't get it. The processing to make UCAN isn't quick or cheap.

You can always carry food and stop to eat every hour. KIND makes some high protein nut bars. PB&J, nuts, honey, figs, apple sauce packets work too. Those require carrying, stopping, smelling the flowers, digesting.

Lots of options. Pick what works best for ya. Personally in Michigan summers, I just stop off at a farmer's stand, drop $$$ into the jar, and eat a pint of cherries. In the fall, cider and donuts or a caramel apple works well (although that will spike my blood sugar, lol).
Old 02-28-19, 01:29 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

With pretty much everything on the market, if you eat/drink twice as much you get twice as much boost, but over the same duration.

With UCAN, if you eat/drink twice as much, it you get the same energy level, but it will last twice as long.

It was initially made for a medical application, but is invaluable for endurance sports. It metabolizes at a steady rate and pretty much ensures that I don’t bonk when on a long ride. Read “our story” for more details: https://www.generationucan.com/our-story/

I hate to sound like a shill, but I hate getting 2-3 hours into a ride and bonking. By then it is too late to recover, and its just a sufferfest. Ucan doesn’t give me a burst of energy or make me feel like superman – it ensures I have a steady energy supply.

Besides that, I usually eat something natural, like a Kind Nut bar, and make sure I'm taking electrolytes (NUUN works good)
Originally Posted by kingston
I'd never heard of UCAN before. A little research reveals it to be hydrothermally modified starch. For $60 I can get a 24.7 oz tub of UCAN (20x120 cal servings) or a 50 pound bag of maltodextrin (over 700x120 cal servings).
Beat me to it, modified cornstarch = maltodextrin. Bunch of marketing nonsense about extended energy etc
Old 02-28-19, 01:32 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

yeah, you could just buy a bag of corn starch too. But maltodextrin’s glycemic index is higher than table sugar, ranging from 106 to 136. This means that it can raise your blood sugar level very quickly. That is key. Nothing you can purchase has the long release cycle of Ucan (no blood sugar spikes). If that isn't valuable to ya, don't get it. The processing to make UCAN isn't quick or cheap.

You can always carry food and stop to eat every hour. KIND makes some high protein nut bars. PB&J, nuts, honey, figs, apple sauce packets work too. Those require carrying, stopping, smelling the flowers, digesting.

Lots of options. Pick what works best for ya. Personally in Michigan summers, I just stop off at a farmer's stand, drop $$$ into the jar, and eat a pint of cherries. In the fall, cider and donuts or a caramel apple works well (although that will spike my blood sugar, lol).
Excellent points. On long rides I consume maltodextrin every time I take a drink.
Old 02-28-19, 02:14 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Peanut butter sandwich
An Orange.

If you can get out where you are allowed to build a fire,
a burrito is good.
Old 02-28-19, 02:21 PM
chas58

Beat me to it, modified cornstarch = maltodextrin. Bunch of marketing nonsense about extended energy etc
I'd hate to slam something I've never used. Maybe you didn't understand my post above? It is a unique alternative. If you don't need it, don't use it, lol. UCAN is useful for racing or for events where it is hard to stop and eat. It is not something "you have to use," simply an example of an alternative answer of the type the OP was looking for.

Either way, modified cornstarch is at the bottom of my nutritional choices. For a century ride where I'm not in a hurry, I'm going to eat something natural with a good mix of complex carbs and protein. My goal is not to spike my blood sugar.

if it is a shorter endurance thing where blood sugar isn't such an issue, there are things I would rather eat than maltodextrin. My favorite is simple honey:

4. Honey
You can switch out your intake of maltodextrin (processed carbohydrates) to boost energy and replenish glycogen stores with pure, raw honey instead. Raw honey is unfiltered and unpasteurized, so it holds incredible nutritional value and health powers. It contains 80 percent natural sugars, so it’s not surprising that it has been called “the perfect running fuel.” Honey provides an easily absorbed supply of energy in the form of liver glycogen, making it ideal as a pre- and post-exercise energy source. Plus, there are many other health benefits of raw honey.

Unlike processed simple carbohydrates, honey raises levels of health-promoting antioxidants in the body, thereby boosting the immune system and acting as a preventative against many debilitating diseases. Honey also benefits the gastrointestinal tract and improves glycemic control. In fact, research shows that honey has antidiabetic effects. (14)
I can understand if honey is too expensive for ya though...
Old 02-28-19, 03:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by MPE
RX bars, but my body usually craves Fig Newtons, pickles and coconut water!
Convenience stores in the south sometimes sell these. They are great toward the end of a hot ride.

Old 02-28-19, 04:15 PM
VastCrew

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honey Stinger Waffles. They are small, individually wrapped and don’t really crumble!
Old 02-28-19, 05:14 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by VastCrew
Honey Stinger Waffles. They are small, individually wrapped and don’t really crumble!
What? I lose like 25% in crumbs if they've been in a jersey pocket for more than 5 mins haha
Old 02-28-19, 05:52 PM
u235

Originally Posted by VastCrew
​​​​​​Similar to a Stroopwafel? I associate those with flying on United... They switched to pretzels last year but enough people complained and they are bringing them back. Some regional United Express had some knockoff brand leftover but just not the same. First world issues.

Last edited by u235; 02-28-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 06:06 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by u235
​​​​​​Similar to a Stroopwafel? I associate those with flying on United... They switched to pretzels last year but enough people complained and they are bringing them back. Some regional United Express had some knockoff brand late last year but just not the same. First world issues.
Yea, I buy the trader joes mini stroopwafels and stick some in a ziplock. They are bite sized so I can shove em in my mouth on the fly and they are way cheaper than the stinger waffles.
Old 02-28-19, 06:11 PM
u235

Originally Posted by redlude97
Yea, I buy the trader joes mini stroopwafels and stick some in a ziplock. They are bite sized so I can shove em in my mouth on the fly and they are way cheaper than the stinger waffles.
cool, they are on my list.
Old 02-28-19, 06:25 PM
VastCrew

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
What? I lose like 25% in crumbs if they've been in a jersey pocket for more than 5 mins haha
Really?? Is it maybe certain flavors I wonder? Or temperature? The only one that was crumbly was seriously old and had been found in a backpack pocket after many summer trips and travels it was still however eaten, haha! I hope my non-crumbly streak continues!
Old 02-28-19, 07:11 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I like a mix of almonds and craisens. Or dates. I try to keep food with plenty of sodium/potassium since I seem to sweat out a lot of salt...I sometimes sprinkle whatever I’m munching on with lite salt (it’s roughly 50/50 NaCl and KCl).

One year at DK, they were handing out boxes of girl scout PB sandwich cookies (I assume they were overstock from the local scouts). I have to say, those pretty well hit the spot on the ride...think ate a whole sleeve.
Old 03-16-19, 09:43 PM
shakey start

Bikes: Parlee Chebacco for now

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Stroopwafels the only problem I've had is in the cold weather. They turn solid.
Old 03-17-19, 08:58 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Longer rides need something more like actual food. Bring a bag of beef jerky....if you run out, most convenience stores sell the stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.