Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Considering changing back to drop bars

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 08:42 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I changed the bar on my Focus Mares CX bike to a an inexpensive carbon riser bar. I was having issues with shifting the bike from the hoods. The front ring was particularly difficult to shift on the 2X system. I replaced the Shimano 105 2X that came on the bike with a SRAM GX Eagle 1X group set. I love the 1X system, which I bought with grip shifters. As my ability to ride the bike has increased I have found that I can stay in the middle cogs on the cassette most of the time, despite the often steep hills. The grip shifters require maximum handlebar space which has proven to be a limiting factor. SRAM apparently does not offer “drop bar hood shifters” for 12 speed Eagle drop handlebars? Amazon keeps bringing up the microSHIFT when I search 12 speed shifters.

I have been dropping my position on the Focus bike lower. Using a 110mm, 17 degree handlebar stem, upside down. After having ridden this bike for a couple years I am thinking about switching the handlebars back to drop bars. I am wondering if I can mount a microSHIFT shifter and MTN bike brake levers on some type of drop bars? It looks like many drop bars have a small 31.8mm section, leaving room for the small mcroSHIFT shifter and MTB brakes? The mounting devise that comes with the microSHIFT looks like it is designed to be slipped on over flat or riser bars. If the microSHIFT will not thread on there is a mount that has a double hinge which can be purchased in 22.8 or 31.8 circumferences. I believe this mount will allow me to add the microSHIFT practically anywhere on either a flat or drop bar.

I should mention that I will be 70 soon. I ride for pleasure and to try to keep my weight and blood pressure in desired parameters. I am exploring a number of ways to improve my fitness as well as my bike fit.

Last edited by McMitchell; 04-24-19 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
71, I've gone over to Ergon grips and bar ends .. straightish bars (I don't need carbon)

(Also adopted the step thru benefits of my Bike Friday )

Old 04-26-19, 07:09 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
71, I've gone over to Ergon grips and bar ends .. straightish bars (I don't need carbon)

(Also adopted the step thru benefits of my Bike Friday )

There are carbon bars that are less expensive than the ones made of aluminum. The RXL SL Bar I bought is available for $30 on Amazon. I decided to try one on my carbon fiber bike at that price. I like the fact that the bar has flex in it, especially on rough gravel roads. I bought “Ergon” grips that were “suppose” to work with grip shifters. They do not seem to work with my SRAM GX Eagle grip shifters. I got them for about $10, during an Amazon sale so no great loss.

I am trying to figure out if there is some way to adapt my bike to drop bars, more typical on Cyclocross & Gravel bikes? The issue is SRAM apparently does not offer “hood” shifters for the new Eagle 12 speed group sets which I have switched my Focus Mares CX to. Apparently SRAM assumes the Eagle group sets will get used on MTBs, with flat/riser bars only. I find the rough, rutted, gravel roads I ride on test the limits of any bike without a suspension. Carbon frames & handlebars May help. The “thing” about riding in an area with lots of hills is most of those hills have a down side that one can build up considerable speed on, where an aero position may help. Keep in mind, I ride gravel & paved community roads.

I am currently “handling” the bar issue with a 110mm, 17 degree stem, upside down on my riser bar. I have found that I have to shift less if I go faster down the hills so I get further up the up side of hills. Yes, I ride the same roads regularly.

I might be able to get my Ergon grips on my current carbon riser bar if I switch to the microSHIFT shifters that come up on Amazon when I search for 12 speed shifters.

Last edited by McMitchell; 04-27-19 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I got the grip shifter, short ones for my Brompton M bar .. it does not need them for a grip shifter
I chose them to not have to cut it short to fit the limited bar length available,
instead they got added to with round grip..

My Bike Friday Tikit has a Sram I-9 , It's grip shifter is working well with GR3 also ,

Added round grip to the left side (their Rohloff set has a standard left, short right grip )

Old 04-28-19, 06:18 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I “just” have three bikes currently. I bought one for my wife, full suspension MTN bike, but she can’t make it up the hills in our community, so she refuses to ride it. I have been thinking about trading the wife’s bike for an electric or trike. It would also be nice to have a bike that is easier to get on & off than my Cyclocross bike. The flat/spiked pedals turn out to be dangerous to shins sometimes. The “traffic” in our community is very light so a trike might work. It is hard to go over 20mph with all the tight turns and hills, even in a car.
Old 04-28-19, 02:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Mid drive conversions can be done .. it replaces the crankset/BB .