Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Least scary wild animal attack ever

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Least scary wild animal attack ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 01:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,534 Times in 7,328 Posts
This guy crawled out of the river while I was reading in Twin Bridges, MT during a bike tour. I was worried that he was going to try to chew my legs off because they are as strong as tree trunks. Must have decided that it would be unwise to mess with my bad self. The best part is the name of the river. Wait for it...the Beaverhead River. Seriously.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-19, 01:51 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11967 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
Don't let it fool you, groundhogs can move pretty quickly over short distances. I had one charge during a ride on a rural road once.
Indeed, they can be very fast when running for their lives . . . but not fast enough to outrun my dog. #that'sashame
Old 05-03-19, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
riding the burke gilman in seattle, i once had a squirrel run out and pace my front wheel. i knew what he was up to and i kept yelling "don't do it!" but he went and tried jumping through my wheel anyway. twice. luckily both times he was deflected off the spokes and not sucked into them. i stopped as fast as i could, and so did he - he just stood and stared at me for a second, even after i yelled "what are you doing?!" at him. finally went into the bushes.

around that time a woman came jogging around the corner and gave me a strange look, probably wondering who i was yelling at.
I would totally have asked her if she was looking for her squirrel. Heck, she already thinks you're crazy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-03-19, 02:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why did the turkeys cross the road?
Chickens' day off.
Old 05-03-19, 02:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a groundhog or a Canada goose. I don't know much about groundhogs, but I know geese can be nasty, and I've seen them attack.

I'm surprised at the vultures. I know them to be very gentle, but I guess that one felt threatened.

And ...

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-03-19, 02:26 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
When I was a kid (on the farm) one of the roosters decided to attack me while I was pedaling the indestructible Schwinn down our long driveway (I think it's a law that farms must have long driveways). He missed me and ended up plowing head first into my front wheel. There were some pretty horrible sounds, some blood, and then a dead chicken and a messy bike. Didn't even bend a spoke. It did send some gnarly vibrations through the bike though.

The good news is we had chicken soup for supper...
Old 05-03-19, 03:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Groundhogs aren't dangerous, but bunny rabbits...

Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-03-19, 03:57 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
This guy crawled out of the river while I was reading in Twin Bridges, MT during a bike tour. I was worried that he was going to try to chew my legs off because they are as strong as tree trunks. Must have decided that it would be unwise to mess with my bad self. The best part is the name of the river. Wait for it...the Beaverhead River. Seriously.

Is that a Nutria? Looks too small to be a beaver, but it's hard to tell from the pic. People used to raise them for fur, but many ended up getting loose and populating local rivers and streams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu
Old 05-03-19, 04:06 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I was riding, alone, around the local backcountry, when I came upon a vulture protectively guarding some road kill. At first I thought nothing of it. I often come across crows dining on road kill and they just let me pass.

As I approached the dining site, the vulture took off and I thought this was the end of the encounter.

I was wrong.

All of the sudden the vulture dive-bombed me, getting close enough that I could smell its foul breath.

It made a close pass at me, climbed and then dive-bombed me a second time.

I am not normally frightened by wildlife (unless it is a mountain lion). But this was a certifiable pucker-up moment.

Man that is one big bird.

Thankfully for me its only apparent intent was to frighten me away from its meal...which I was gladly to oblige.
Thanks for that one, i had no idea this was a possibility. I regularly ride through/past a group of buzzards feasting on road kill, but I'll know to be be extra cautious now.
Old 05-03-19, 09:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Thanks for that one, i had no idea this was a possibility. I regularly ride through/past a group of buzzards feasting on road kill, but I'll know to be be extra cautious now.
I agree with you.

In the past, I’ve had the same experiences as you with vultures feasting at the Roadside Buffet. I think that this may have been a younger, immature vulture. That, or the fact that it was alone made it feel more threatened by a MAMIL.

Either way, it was a big bird and it was one of those pucker-up moments.
Old 05-03-19, 09:36 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
When I was a kid (on the farm) one of the roosters decided to attack me while I was pedaling the indestructible Schwinn down our long driveway (I think it's a law that farms must have long driveways). He missed me and ended up plowing head first into my front wheel. There were some pretty horrible sounds, some blood, and then a dead chicken and a messy bike. Didn't even bend a spoke. It did send some gnarly vibrations through the bike though.

The good news is we had chicken soup for supper...
Arroz con pollo.
Old 05-03-19, 09:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've been chased, more than once, by a pair of pugs. They can only muster about 30-40 feet of pursuit, huffing and snorting the whole way. They are in the top tier of "least scary animals."

I've also been pursued by what is probably a 5lb tan chihuahua, who cannot successfully run and bark at the same time, so it just snort-wheezes at me for about 50 feet or so. Then stops, barks a little, and heads back home.
Old 05-03-19, 10:39 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-03-19, 10:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I’ve had to wrangle snapping turtles a number of times for various reasons. One female was laying in the middle of the bike path during an bicycle event that I was mashaling. I had to pick her up and move her so that no one ran over her. You can’t just pick up a snapper and carry it since they have a tendency to pee in prodigious amounts. Holding 40 lbs of mad turtle at arms length is bad enough but they have very long necks that the trash about and try to bite you while you are holding them at arms length. And they smell really bad.

I also wrangled newly hatched snapping turtles in Kansas that were crossing a road. Mama laid them in a irrigation ditch on the other side of the road from the Missouri River. They are easier to carry then the adults but they smell just as bad.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-03-19, 11:43 PM
MikeEckhaus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Just last week I was hiking on a single track, and a field mouse was just sitting in the middle of the trail. It didn't move a all when I got close. I actually got a stick to poke it to see if it was alive. It reared up and went after the stick. After a few seconds, it slowly wandered off into the grass. Tough mouse. Too bad it will probably try to fight a snake and get eaten.
Old 05-04-19, 02:07 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I've been chased, more than once, by a pair of pugs. They can only muster about 30-40 feet of pursuit, huffing and snorting the whole way. They are in the top tier of "least scary animals."

I've also been pursued by what is probably a 5lb tan chihuahua, who cannot successfully run and bark at the same time, so it just snort-wheezes at me for about 50 feet or so. Then stops, barks a little, and heads back home.
How about Pomeranians? They're trained to keep annoying men from taking interest in divorced women, I knew one named Yo-Yo.
Old 05-04-19, 07:28 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve had to wrangle snapping turtles a number of times for various reasons. One female was laying in the middle of the bike path during an bicycle event that I was mashaling. I had to pick her up and move her so that no one ran over her. You can’t just pick up a snapper and carry it since they have a tendency to pee in prodigious amounts. Holding 40 lbs of mad turtle at arms length is bad enough but they have very long necks that the trash about and try to bite you while you are holding them at arms length. And they smell really bad.

I also wrangled newly hatched snapping turtles in Kansas that were crossing a road. Mama laid them in a irrigation ditch on the other side of the road from the Missouri River. They are easier to carry then the adults but they smell just as bad.
I have had similar experiences:
‘I talked with a park ranger/biologist at the Chattahoochee Nature Center. I had tossed a large snapper in the bed of the truck to keep it off the road. the park ranger offered to free the large “snapper” in a better location. Apparently the females retain water during spring. They use the water/pee to soften the ground so they can dig a hole to lay eggs in.

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-04-19 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 08:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Is that a Nutria? Looks too small to be a beaver, but it's hard to tell from the pic.
Hmmm. Maybe so. Saw a young one along with an adult swimming along the opposite bank earlier in the day. The young one also had vegetation in its mouth. Way to ruin my cool story, bro!
Old 05-04-19, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by McMitchell
They use the water/pee to soften the ground so they can dig a hole to lay eggs in.
Last June in MA during a tour from St. Albans, VT to Philly. Every minute or so she would squeeze out a little white egg into the hole. A local who had pulled over to watch told me she will lay hundreds, but only a small percentage will survive. The nests can fall victim to, among other things, raccoons. They dig up the nest and eat the eggs.

Old 05-04-19, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Saw this smaller one in NY a few days later. Wasn't going to mess with it.

Old 05-04-19, 08:51 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm. Maybe so. Saw a young one along with an adult swimming along the opposite bank earlier in the day. The young one also had vegetation in its mouth. Way to ruin my cool story, bro!
I followed his link, thinking the picture was actually a”Muskrat”. Turns out Coypus/Nutria are actually an introduced species, now gone wild, that years ago were raised to produce fur. More recently some companies are trying to create interest in the meat as a food for people. Maybe the “rat burger” scare is not so far fetched!

I also discovered that these creatures may host a nematode/parasite that can infect human skin, causing dermatitis similar to strongyloidiasis, “nutria itch”. Being a victim of “eczema” and having spent many hours in various marshy waters.... I plan to ask my doctor about this.

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-04-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 09:22 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Speaking of turkeys. We have a flock living in our suburban neighborhood. Very noisy. I don’t mind them that much, they sometimes stand in the road which slows down the traffic. These guys will simply not move when a car approaches. Some drivers will stop and a standoff ensues. Funny though when I approach on my bike they will scatter. I try to encourage them by making gobbling noises.
Old 05-04-19, 11:24 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Wild turkeys are jerks!!! I get chased by a flock that lives on a river MUP by me, every year! They wander the subdivision frequently during hte summer chasing every little thing that moves like we are their peasants lol. I came across a very agressive snapping turtle in the middle of a MUP one day too, stopped to take a picture because it was HUGE! The thing had a shell almost 2' in diameter, it hissed at me for a few, then started to "run" towards me I was un-clipped and had to basically wobble my way away from it. It moved much faster than you would think a giant turtle would.
Old 05-04-19, 02:40 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I'm imagining it must've looked something like this?

Old 05-04-19, 05:46 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I'm imagining it must've looked something like this?

Lol to Me, yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.