Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Japanese bikes to collect

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Japanese bikes to collect

Old 05-23-19, 06:56 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I have to admit, I've got a little likin' of Univega, and Nishiki these days.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-23-19, 07:46 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The 70s high end Fujis (newest, finest, america, ace) are all sweet. Team Miyatas are hot and ride great:

1991 Team Miyata
Don't know much about collectable Japanese bikes but I know what i like. And I likeS' this a Whole lot!
Old 05-23-19, 07:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
This bike is hot. I like it. I'd like it even better with suntour parts though!
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-23-19, 08:16 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
This bike is hot. I like it. I'd like it even better with suntour parts though!
Yup, Campy gets all the attention and glory, but Suntour is arguably better!
Old 05-23-19, 11:30 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
...The auto auctions have been nuts the last ten or so years, and now the big buck stuff has crept up through the '80s and into the '90s with a number of cars, some of which I really like. Somehow my '97 Camaro Z28 is still riding the nadir of its value curve. Happily it/I/we go along because parts are cheap and the thing still has a lot of life. I'm not collecting it, that's for sure. The next model year's updated looks and LS1 engine debut fetch several grand more.

What will happen to pre-war anything? I guess Duesenbergs et al will always have their special place, but yeah, all that '50s through '70s stuff is going to take a hit.

I buy to ride and enjoy. I have no commuter bike. I have a rain/fender/winter bike (which is now my Davidson Impulse--excellent idea to enjoy being in un-fun weather), and the rest are "dry [day] bikes" which is usually anything fast. Rare frame? Nice parts? Skinny tires? Yes to all. The only Sunday Riders are ones with original equipment which usually means bad brakes--a no go for in-city Seattle.
I think we agree on a lot of stuff. A Ford Model T is pretty cool to look at, but I'm not hankering for one. And as cool as I think some of the cars from the 50's and 60's were (are), I'd probably take something from the 80's if I had to pick one. I happen to really like your era of Camaros and Firebirds, and you should definitely hold onto it. I had an '89 Ford Thunderbird Super Coup that came down with a serious engine issue and, long story short, I was essentially bullied by my family into getting rid of it. I don't think it would ever have become particularly valuable, but it was nearly priceless to me.

But yeah, I don't think the people paying huge amounts at these classic car auctions necessarily think about it, but their purchases will probably lose a ton of value by the time they get passed along to the next generation.

As for my personal bikes, I also put some fenders and wider tires on my vintage wet weather bike, and then enjoy rotating between the others when the pavement is dry. Working on these bikes is great, and riding them is even better.
Old 05-23-19, 04:28 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Collectables tend to be volatile in value over time. One generation they are hot, another they are not. The only way to make it an "investment with a payoff" is to flip them.
Old 05-23-19, 04:52 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think this really depends on your definition of collectible, and your definition of too pricey. The Japanese bikes that are desirable are already relatively pricey...Miyata 1000s, the other grand tourers, Miyata team. As far as good bikes at good value, the Miya 900 series, the Panasonic DX 3000+.

I really like some of the Lotus models, and, IMO, their aero pro truly represents the era.
Old 05-24-19, 04:22 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude

Not being a negative Nancy here but this is a terrible longterm strategy. Fun maybe, but foolish. You have as much chance of the bike's value increasing as you have your grandson selling them for scrap because he just wants rid of them. Your passion does not equal his. I doubt you'd even keep up with inflation. Your aim is very generous and I applaud you for wanting to help your family but there are much safer ways.
Buy 'em to ride 'em. Invest elsewhere. Too much maintenance (rubber and grease need replacing over time), and they require too much storage room. Better off with savings bonds. However, if you see a high-end Japanese road bike in good shape at a tag sale for $10 .... buy it!
Old 05-24-19, 08:47 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
I have so far collected 6 Japanese bikes having started with an early 80s Nishiki Professional w/ all Campagnolo gruppo. At the TOL and/or grail/dream bike you will find IMO little more than race history/tradition to distinguish these bikes as they copied/re-visioned (LOL) the master designs of the European bikes. They were mostly built using tubing made in Japan that equaled or exceeded that of the European tubing, but because they often lack the race history/tradition they can be found at considerable discount. Most of their parts share a comparable discount to that of European parts and are mostly widely available, though some things, brake hoods, are unobtainium.

And they all have the ride of a well made steel lugged frame.

For me it will always be about the ride and moments I have had on rides when the hair stands up on the back of your neck and you realize a moment out of history, you understand those black and white pictures of the hard, hard men who raced these machines over roads we would hardly call roads in conditions where rain, mud, snow and terrible heat were just a given. It only takes a couple of such moments to turn a bicycle from a thing into an experience to be recalled for a life time.

I wish you luck in your journey.
Likes For since6:
Old 05-24-19, 09:08 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Miyata One Thousand (if you can find one in your size)
Old 05-24-19, 12:05 PM
dim

here's a link to the collectable Japanese Bikes

The Lightweight Vintage Bicycles of Japan
Likes For dim:
Old 05-24-19, 07:37 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
miyata twelve hundred (if you can find one in your size)
fify
Old 05-25-19, 07:30 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The 70s high end Fujis (newest, finest, america, ace) are all sweet. Team Miyatas are hot and ride great:

1991 Team Miyata

I have the track version of this frame.

I doubt many parts of the collector bike market bear comparison to the collector car market. Maybe at the super high end (e.g. Kalavinka).

On the other hand, they are alike in that the golden days for buying seem to be past us, for now (like in the early 90s when you could get lucky and buy early 80s Italian bikes for $300-400 - if only we'd stashed E-types, 912s, and 914s, and 944s).
Old 05-25-19, 09:47 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmorr
I have the track version of this frame.

I doubt many parts of the collector bike market bear comparison to the collector car market. Maybe at the super high end (e.g. Kalavinka).

On the other hand, they are alike in that the golden days for buying seem to be past us, for now (like in the early 90s when you could get lucky and buy early 80s Italian bikes for $300-400 - if only we'd stashed E-types, 912s, and 914s, and 944s).
On a somewhat related note, speaking from experience for those aged 22-30, I seem to be noticing a lot of interest shifting from road bike to touring bikes and vintage MTB. The trend for touring bikes is growing because many of us millennials are into the whole traveling/ "wanderlust" mentality as it was for other generations, however with the access of Instagram openning up new horizons for travel, bikr touring has become more appealing.

For vintage MTB, the new trend is converting them to drop bars (I know,not a new concept here) and referring their ride to "26inchlifestyle/26inchlife", which has a growing following. What many do for the latter is to get a late 80s/early 90s MTB with wide enough spacing for 26 x 2.1-2.3 tan/skin wall tires and high end components. Can't say the website here, but on the forum /xbiking, the bikes that commonly show up as desirable are:
Specialized Stumpjumper/Rockhopper/Hotrock, GT,Bianchi, and other high end frames from the era, including (and especially) Japanese made frames.

So the interest is still there, but the niche has moved for sure
Old 05-26-19, 06:55 AM
aprieto28

Bikes: Kuwahara Tandem, Centurion Ironman, Rossin, De bernardi, Schwinn Paramount, Giubilato, Gitane TDF, Medici, Scott Solice.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
80's Centurion Professional

Likes For aprieto28:
Old 05-26-19, 06:53 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Once a couple of generations pass along, the vast majority of this stuff will likely be considered junk, because nobody will appreciate it. Sure, a few examples will become "antiques" that look cool on display here and there, but there won't be a thriving market for these things.
Yes, see for example "Can’t help falling in price: why Elvis memorabilia is plummeting in value".
Old 05-26-19, 08:35 PM
brodycycle

Bikes: H. Tano (Kobe Japan) Custom, Scott CR1 Upgraded, Scott Speedster Upgraded

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
H. Tano and son, Kobe Japan

I had a Centurion I got in 1981 and loved it. Unfortunately, I had a bad crash and destroyed the frame. A few months later I was looking at the manual and saw the frame was made by H. Tano and son in Kobe, Japan. Since I was in Korea at the time, I wrote them to see if I could get a one-off custom frame. Long story short, yes I could but had to go to Kobe to get it. I went there and got my new Tange Champion tubed frame in pearl white. The added a nice SunTour headset, and two matched chains/freewheels, and Gran Comp brakes and levers. I was soon on the bullet train going to Tokyo with my new boxed bike.

I still have it and ride occasionally. and it rides beautifully.

Don't know if it is worth anything, but it is essentially in very good to excellent condition. 23" frame with Shimano 105 biopace crankset.
Likes For brodycycle:
Old 05-26-19, 09:27 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Shogun Samurai
Old 05-26-19, 09:35 PM
ramzilla

Centurion Elite

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-26-19, 09:38 PM
ramzilla

Fuji Club

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-26-19, 09:40 PM
ramzilla

Centurion Lemans

Old 05-26-19, 09:52 PM
ramzilla

Centurion Ironman

Old 05-26-19, 11:15 PM
twagster 

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I would love to find a 70s Fuji "The Finest" in my size/price range.
Old 05-27-19, 02:27 AM
dim

A 1987 Koga Miyata Randonneur currently listed on Ebay Germany ....

Likes For dim:
Old 05-27-19, 02:23 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
It would be great to get production numbers for some of our favorite Japanese builders. They definitely manufactured less of the top of the line models. That is what I think we all focus on. I now have (2) 1984 Fuji Touring Series IVs, a 1985 Club Fuji, a 1986 Bianchi Sport SX with a nice Tange Japanese frame, and a 1984 Lotus Unique. To me I look at collectibility a bit differently based on the fact that you can still pick the Japanese framed bikes up for crazy-low prices if you keep watching. I am simply investing in these for myself because they are so undervalued these days. The investment for me is buying an old bike for $50 that is currently worth $150-$200, or buying one at $150 that is worth $300-400.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.