Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Chris Froome...News

Old 06-12-19, 03:11 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
The tour is boring because it's a boring race, not because of Chris Froome.
Old 06-12-19, 03:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
The tour is boring because it's a boring race, not because of Chris Froome.
The Tour is boring because of the disparity in dollars spent on Team personnel. Sky & Ineos are annually spending vastly more than Quick-Step + partner, or DimensionData, SunWeb, etc.

Remember when the NY Yankees won so many World Series. Best players.

It was boring during the 'Armstrong administration' for a different reason of disparity.

Froomy's bad 'luck' sure makes G.Thomas' job a lot simpler.
Old 06-12-19, 06:00 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan;20975353[b
]1. It didn't happen in or during a race. I don't think it could spoil anybody's experience watching a stage. [/b]Unless maybe you saving the Dauphine with DVR and were a stage or two behind?

2. The principle is no spoilers in the thread titles. The thread title just has his name. If you didn't want to know more, you didn't need to open the thread.
I'm sorry you watch only 1 race per year, but I was following the Criterium du Dauphine, and I don't care to see some results/news about the race here.

I'm not looking to execute the OP, but I hope he's a little more careful in the future.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the TdF more than ever now.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-12-19, 06:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm not looking to execute the OP, but I hope he's a little more careful in the future.

Personally, I would say your definition of a Spoiler is a bit broad.

Sam Bennett (Bora) may not get called up for TdF. Is that a spoiler? Froomy news isn't always a spoiler.

Agree the TdF may be more exciting, but I wanted to see Team dynamics of the leadership split between former winners.
Old 06-12-19, 06:35 PM
seau grateau

Didn't happen in the race = not a race spoiler.
Old 06-12-19, 07:01 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
100% agree that this is NOT a spoiler. A spoiler is about watching the race but knowing the outcome before the end, so the excitement factor is gone. In this case the Froome thing was known before the race even started. If you want zero information about what happens between the end of stage n and the beginning of stage n+1, you need to lock yourself in a closet with no electronics or internet. This isn't even close to being a spoiler and there certainly is nothing "to be careful about" here.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-12-19, 07:27 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Personally, I would say your definition of a Spoiler is a bit broad.
Personally, I'd say I don't care what you think.

I was following the Dauphine, and the OP let out some major news by posting this.
Old 06-12-19, 07:36 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Personally, I'd say I don't care what you think.

I was following the Dauphine, and the OP let out some major news by posting this.
IfFroome got busted for child molestation and immediately kicked out of the Dauphine, would that be a spoiler as well?

Last edited by Rogerogeroge; 06-12-19 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-19, 07:38 PM
seau grateau

You were following the Dauphine and you're upset that you learned information about it?
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 06-12-19, 07:42 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
IfFroome got busted for child molestation and immediately kicked out of the Dauphine, would that be a spoiler as well?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-12-19, 07:43 PM
noodle soup

Old 06-12-19, 08:15 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
No, I'm not trolling. As someone else said, if it didn't happen during the race, then it's not a spoiler. Both examples use an event that happened before the actual stage. I suppose instead of child molestation I could have said inappropriate sexual behavior (or some other offense that gets immediate action) - I think if it was shoplifting he wouldn't have been immediately kicked out of the race and my message wouldn't have the desired delivery. Peace out.
Old 06-12-19, 09:07 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I'm sorry you watch only 1 race per year, but I was following the Criterium du Dauphine, and I don't care to see some results/news about the race here.

Your assumptions about my race-watching are incorrect and arrogant. If you care to, you can search my posts on the Professional Cycling for the Fans forum and see for yourself.

The news was not about a race result. When the stage began this morning, everybody already knew that Froome was out.

If you were days behind and hadn't yet watched the early stages, you might have been disappointed by a spoiler. OTOH, because you are such an aficionado, you actually already knew that all the previous stages were for the sprinters or the breakaways, and nothing had yet happened that mattered for the GC.

Last edited by MinnMan; 06-12-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 10:12 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you really have to be invested in watching cycling to get mad over riders ?
Old 06-13-19, 12:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Added "News" to title.

Moved from road.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-13-19 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 01:22 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Guys like Froome don’t wreck on recon rides
Maybe ...... justice ..... administered by the
“Cycling gods “. ???
Old 06-13-19, 01:51 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
He sneezed
That's a side effect of salbuterol.
Likes For znomit:
Old 06-13-19, 02:27 AM
Steve C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow, a professional cyclist gets seriously injured with a broken femur, elbow, and ribs, and most of this thread is about how much more the TdeF will be enjoyed, and whether or not the thread was a spoiler.

Not much in the way of hoping that he makes a full recovery, or even thoughts for his family.

And I hope that he does make a full recovery, and know how much this must be worrying for his family.
Likes For Steve C:
Old 06-13-19, 02:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Guys like Froome don’t wreck on recon rides
Maybe ...... justice ..... administered by the
“Cycling gods “. ???
Froome crashed at least twice in 2018, that I can recall, if we don't count getting knocked off his bike by a cop or security guard. He crashed in a recon for the time trial route at the Giro, then came back to win. And crashed in stage one of the TdF. Seems like there were a couple more crashes last year, during training or recons.

It happens. Usually minor injuries. LeMond crashed several times, particularly in time trials. He usually managed to rebound.

I'm inclined to say the most daring racers are the most likely to crash. They're pushing the limits of tire adhesion, rolling really close to the barriers, trying to make every second and inch count.

But Froome in particular has always struck me as awkward looking, like a human-pterodactyl hybrid that swooped out of the sky, stole someone's bike and decided to race. He takes incredible chances riding the top tube on downhills. And his balance looks off on tight, fast turns, possibly because he's unusually tall and thin with gangly, gawky posture.

His gift is that incredible engine and ability to endure at a ridiculously light weight for his height. If grand tours were nothing but climbs he'd probably never crash, or at least not be seriously injured since the speeds are relatively slower.

Anyway, I agree that Froome and Sky/Ineos tactics are a bit boring, but it's a business and they do it well. At least it gives other riders a shot at winning stages. Remember that during Merckx's peak he was criticized for not only dominating entire races, but not even yielding stage wins some seasons.

I used to think only the French hate winners (they didn't like Anquetil, Merckx or Hinault when they won too often), but it seems any cyclist who dominates the TdF will draw the ire of some fans, regardless of style and tactics.

There's a great scene in a 1970s documentary with other cyclists taking on the role of media reporters interviewing Merckx, and playfully asking Merckx if he'd please consider not winning every single stage and maybe leaving a few crumbs for other cyclists. Merckx just shrugged and said something like "I don't care what you think. It doesn't concern me." There may be some idiomatic expressions or nuances lost in translation, but it seemed to pretty accurately reflect Merckx's character, and that of most dominant athletes.
Old 06-13-19, 03:26 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Froome despite his palmares, has a poor record with regard to his bike handling skills - his races/career punctuated with near misses and crashes. This latest and very serious crash* my well mark the end of his Grand Tour ambitions, and maybe his Grand Tour career.

You have to ask yourself - taking both hands off the 'bars in blustery conditions on a TT bike at speed - and why didn't his wing man hold the 'bar ?

Time is not on his side either, I very doubt he'll win another Grand Tour.

John.

*the injuries are very serious.

Last edited by hobbs1951; 06-13-19 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 04:43 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I want to see Froome in the TDF so I can watch him get beat straight up

and not by his punk teammate on the rich kid team
Old 06-13-19, 06:48 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Not a froome fan but it does take away from the race with him not being there. I know he cheats with PEDS and all but they all do so who cares.
Old 06-13-19, 07:02 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
It's 20 years later, and people still hate Lance Armstrong. A dominant winner who dopes (oh wait, no nevermind, Froomedawg was cleared on a technicality, lol) and people get tired of it. At least Armstrong was a pretty good rider before his "transformation".

I am not so much opposed to Froome as I am opposed to his former team and its approach to the Grand Tours. Highly successful but also highly boring.

Get well Froome because in spite of all the criticism, you are still a talented rider and tough competitor.
Old 06-13-19, 07:30 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
It's 20 years later, and people still hate Lance Armstrong. A dominant winner who dopes (oh wait, no nevermind, Froomedawg was cleared on a technicality, lol) and people get tired of it. At least Armstrong was a pretty good rider before his "transformation".
Armstrong was also a giant dick who ruined peoples lives for simply telling the truth about him. Cheating was one of the least bad things Armstrong did in his career.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 06-13-19, 07:34 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How is someone who is not Froome testing a bike going to shed meaningful light on the bike will handle when Froome is riding it? Riding style will affect how a bike handles. And in Froome's case, you are talking about someone who is not of average body. 6'1' and what, maybe 150 lbs. soaking wet?
Yeah. I'm not seeing the benefit of having someone else practice the course for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.