Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tips for Summer Commute in Tucson, AZ Heat?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tips for Summer Commute in Tucson, AZ Heat?

Old 06-19-19, 01:53 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
Personally I draw the line at 105, which is pretty rare where I live. It's not so much the temperature, but if I have to stop to fix a flat or something 110+ gets somewhere between very uncomfortable to dangerous.

Like others have said, hydration and keep moving are key.
If you get a flat, find a good tree to sit under and if you're lucky then find one with grass.
I've changed a flat in over 110 and every minute counts, after about 10 minutes of sitting the rage starts to kick in. Make sure speed is part of your flat fixing skills.
Old 06-19-19, 01:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
Personally I draw the line at 105, which is pretty rare where I live
What, they only allow Ultegra and Dura Ace in your ritzy gated community? Are the roads also paved with gold? Don't be such a snob, Tiagra works just fine!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 06-28-19, 12:13 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
hydration, Hydration, HYDRATION! Drink BEFORE you feel thirsty. In fact, make deliberate plans to stop and hydrate at specific locations along the way just so you don't over do it. 12 miles isn't very far, but without knowing your overall conditioning it's best to recommend an aggressive hydration routine.

Sunscreen for exposed skin areas and loose fitting, light colored clothing everywhere else. Technical fabrics shed moisture better than cotton and a white helmet will help with your head.

-Kedosto
Pretty much this. I still consider Tucson home, although I've moved away again. Long sleeves, light loose fitting (I recommend Vapor apparel https://www.vaporapparel.com/mens/solar-long-sleeve/) for the shirts, and some light colored reflective leggings too.

I rode year round, even when the temps climb north of 100 or 110. For a 12 mile commute, start off taking more water than you think you need, drink regularly, even if you don't feel thirsty, and wear sunscreen where ever your skin is exposed.

My commute was 19 miles most of the time I lived there, and 2 - 1.5 liter bottles were plenty adequate. You're commuting though, and unless you're far from the city, you can always stop at a convenience store or gas station and fill up. (It's illegal NOT to give someone water in AZ if they ask for it and you have it, so water is always free at these places.)