Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless road tire limited options

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 07:03 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have been riding on tubeless tires on my gravel/adventure bike with great success. bike came with 42c tires which I found to be too wide and slow so I went with schwalbe marathon supreme tr in a 35c. I have had zero problems with flats, they wear great and they made the bike quicker and faster overall.

now I am also riding a road/endurance bike with tubeless wheels/tires. I have been riding on schwalbe pro one's in a 25c and love how fast they are but after 500-1k miles I inevitably get a cut in the rear tire and have to replace. I want to go to a more durable tire and am finding limited options. Today I installed a set of hutchison sector 28's and will see how they ride tomorrow, I'm looking for a less fragile tire that wont forsake speed and is tubeless.

anyone have any constructive suggestions. please, I don't need opinions on tubeless vs clinchers with a tube, I am a tubeless convert.
Old 05-05-18, 07:39 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Just interested, what were the 42's you had?
Old 05-05-18, 08:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I don't hesitate to recommend the Giant Gavia SL/AC1, as they are very good. Can be had for under $50 each, and I have successfully gotten 3k miles out of the rear, twice. I've been on Maxxis Padrone TRs for about 1k miles now (my LBS went out of stock on the Gavias for 2 months,) but they definitely give up some durability for the sake of speed. They are unquestionably the fastest tubeless tires I've ridden, but the rear already has a small slice in it that doesn't make me super comfortable. I'll be swapping out my Padrones to the spare wheelset this upcoming week, and fresh Gavias will go on in their place. My first Gavia SL was the first tire I ever had wear down to the cords without succumbing to some sort of mechanical failure due to road debris.

Hutchinson Fusions also good, and you can often find the Fusion 3s still in stock online and being cleared out. My wife is up to ~2k miles on hers, and the front still looks brand new.
Old 05-05-18, 08:33 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Just interested, what were the 42's you had?
specialized sawtooth 2bliss
Old 05-06-18, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Specialized Roubaix, but they ain't cheap.
Old 05-06-18, 10:25 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
These the the tires that attract my attention because of their large width 38c - which enables low pressure tubeles, and low weight 320g - which makes them fast like good road-racing tires

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html <-- the tire in the top middle photo

I haven't tried 'em yet but am looking to build a bike around this specific tire. Ideally I'd have these on a 700c wheelset and then 2.1 Schwalbes tubeless on a 27.5 wheelset <--one do-it-all bike with two wheelsets

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 05-06-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 09:40 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
now I am also riding a road/endurance bike with tubeless wheels/tires. I have been riding on schwalbe pro one's in a 25c and love how fast they are but after 500-1k miles I inevitably get a cut in the rear tire and have to replace. I want to go to a more durable tire and am finding limited options. Today I installed a set of hutchison sector 28's and will see how they ride tomorrow, I'm looking for a less fragile tire that wont forsake speed and is tubeless.
Good to know. I was thinking about trying the Pro 1's on my Mavic UST wheels trying to get some better life out of them than I get with my Yksion's. My Yksions will break 2000 miles on the commute home today and they are pretty much done. I think I have 6 patches inside the pair plus at least one more puncture from the past weekend, but the sealant is holding that one.
Old 05-08-18, 09:48 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't hesitate to recommend the Giant Gavia SL/AC1, as they are very good. Can be had for under $50 each, and I have successfully gotten 3k miles out of the rear, twice.
Which ones? I see a Gavia SL1 TLC and a gavia AC1 TLC on their website, but not a SL AC1? Are these the 60 TPI ones? Looks like the carry a 170tpi SLR1 TLC too but those are more expensive.
Old 05-08-18, 10:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

So far as I can tell, the only difference between the SL and the AC1 is that the AC1 has some Conti-GP-style tread on it (you know, the kind that doesn't do anything, it's just cosmetic.) The SL and AC1 have the same thread count, weigh about the same, and cost the same. The SLR is their answer to the Schwalbe PRO 1, so I have no desire to mess with it-- they also cost double what the SL or AC1 do. My LBS had the SL and SLR initially, but on their last order, they received AC1s. Maybe the SL are being phased out, as it seems Giant is going with this AC-theme for all of their tubeless? I think they are mechanically the same tire.
Old 05-08-18, 11:21 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Good to know. I was thinking about trying the Pro 1's on my Mavic UST wheels trying to get some better life out of them than I get with my Yksion's. My Yksions will break 2000 miles on the commute home today and they are pretty much done. I think I have 6 patches inside the pair plus at least one more puncture from the past weekend, but the sealant is holding that one.
don't get me wrong, I love the pro 1's and I will buy another set to have when I want to go fast or do a lot of climbing. I do weigh over 200lbs and ride hard, so I may not get the mileage out of them that someone else might.

I am riding the Hutchison Sector 28's now and there is a trade off. definitely not as fast, but I could probably ride these on gravel and they feel sure footed.
Old 05-08-18, 12:37 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've actually had really good luck with the Pro One as far as puncture protection goes. My biggest problem with the Pro One is in the wet. I seem to have a lot of rear wheel traction issues when it's wet with that tire. My current favorite is the Panaracer Race A Evo3, but they are $$$. I've also been happy with the Maxxis Padrone. Personally, I've had problems with Hutchinson's in the past.

The Fusion 2 and 3's were great, but about the time they started putting out 25 and 28c tires and when the Sectors and Intensives were first released they started trying to make them lighter and I had a lot of problems with punctures with them. That being said, I haven't tried the Fusion 5's, and the Performance model seems to be getting good reviews.

The one thing you didn't mention is what you're using for sealant. I've been running road tubeless for 10 years now and I've seen a lot of differences in how well different sealants work at road pressure. My personal favorite is Stan's Race Day. It's thick, and it seals up quick. I've tried a few varieties of Slime, Cafeelatex and Orange Seal and found that none of them work quite as well as Race Day. Orange Seal and Slime havre on multiple occasions completely failed to seal and blown every ounce of sealant out on me. Other's experiences may vary, but it's something you might want to consider.
Old 05-08-18, 01:30 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Schwalbe almotion?
Old 05-11-18, 07:02 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
now riding on Hutchison Sector 28's and have ordered set of Maxxis Padrone tubeless and will offer opinion after installing and riding for a bit

any input on road tubeless in a 700x25-28c is appreciated

Schwalbe Pro One's in 25c very fast but not durable. will save for race day

Hutchison Sector 28's good for urban riding and rough roads/trails but feel slower and less climb friendly. cant speak on durability yet....
Old 06-28-19, 12:46 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't hesitate to recommend the Giant Gavia SL/AC1, as they are very good. Can be had for under $50 each, and I have successfully gotten 3k miles out of the rear, twice.

<snip>
What size of tyre - 25c vs 28c - are you running with your Gavia AC1 setup?

Thank you.
Old 06-28-19, 01:03 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm also a big fan of the Giant Gavia AC1. I have 28s on my bike (they were mounted as the stock tires and came out of the box tubeless). I weigh about 160 and run them at ~82-85 psi. Very smooth ride, tons of grip, very fast rolling. They also seem pretty durable, I have ~1,200 miles on them and the flashing in the center of the tread is still there. I'm impressed with these tires, they should get more recognition.
Old 06-28-19, 02:05 PM
NoWhammies

@Hiro11 what bike are you using the tyres on?
Old 06-28-19, 02:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
now riding on Hutchison Sector 28's and have ordered set of Maxxis Padrone tubeless and will offer opinion after installing and riding for a bit

any input on road tubeless in a 700x25-28c is appreciated

Schwalbe Pro One's in 25c very fast but not durable. will save for race day

Hutchison Sector 28's good for urban riding and rough roads/trails but feel slower and less climb friendly. cant speak on durability yet....
You could look at the Pirelli Cinturato.. comes in a 26 and 28mm. Supposedly one the most durable road TL tires out there.

Pirelli Cinturato- COMP CYCLIST
Old 06-28-19, 04:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I've only run the Gavias in 700x25. With 19c rims, 28s simply won't fit on my frame-- as the 25s mount to ~27mm, and 28s are +31mm. I learned this by trying to mount a 700x28 Pro One I had on hand. No go.

I wish the Race1 was more widely available. The LBS was out of AC1s a while back, but had some Race1 in stock, so I put a pair on my wife's bike. They appear to have the same durability and longevity of the AC1, but are completely smooth tread, which I think just looks better.
Old 06-29-19, 09:35 PM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You could look at the Pirelli Cinturato.. comes in a 26 and 28mm. Supposedly one the most durable road TL tires out there.

Pirelli Cinturato- COMP CYCLIST
I am running the Cinturato on my BH G7 right now and have no complaints. The seat of my pants feel is the tyres are a little 'harsher' as compared to the Pro Ones that I was running before. This makes sense though since the tyre compound is supposed to be heartier and more puncture resistant. I have maybe 400kms on the tyres to date, so I'm still see what I think but...

• Tyres seated with a floor pump
  • Tyres were easy to put on - I'd say as easy as the Pro Ones
  • Tyres were affordable

Included in the 400kms is a climb up, and a descent down, Mt. St. Helens. Tyres performed great.

@DrIsotope Thanks for the info.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 06-29-19 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 06:47 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
@Hiro11 what bike are you using the tyres on?
2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0. Honestly, I planned on replacing the tires with some GP5Ks but these have been so good there's no need.
Old 06-30-19, 05:06 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks @Hiro11. I just picked up a couple of AC0 tyres. I may switch Mrs. NoWhammies bike over to tubeless just so I can see/ask her how they handle. I just put new tyres on my machine so it may be a while before I get a chance to give them a shot.
Old 07-01-19, 07:01 AM
charliep 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been riding the Sector 28s for around 4 years, they hold up good. Usually get around between 2500 - 3000 miles on the back tire.

I may try the Fusion 5 the next time around.