Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Newbie seeking advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 02:47 PM
skiptuba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newbie seeking advice...

Hello Forum!

I'm new to this place, but not totally new to cycling...still have my 2000 Gary Fischer Tassajara, but looking to come back to riding on something a bit more...modern.

10 weeks ago today, I had a stroke and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. At the time, I weighed 320. As of today, I'm 275 and have reversed the diabetes (est 5.1 A1C w/o insulin) through strict diet and exercise. I've been researching gravel bikes a lot and with living in Chicago near Lake Michigan, I would like to take advantage of the Lakefront trail as well as some of the forest preserve paths/trails to the West and also the New River Trail in SWVA when I'm home visiting family.

My LBS has these three in stock and I was wondering if you guys had an advice/experience with them that you could share:

Cannondale Topstone Sora

Cannondale CAADX Tiagra d24 (2018)

Jamis Renegade Expat 2019

I should also mention I'm 6'3 (long torso/short legs).

Any experience/advice you can share would be greatly appreciated. I've learn quite a bit so far and have really enjoyed the vibe here.

Thanks,
Josh
Likes For skiptuba:
Old 05-02-19, 07:22 AM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you still riding the Gary Fischer? If not consider getting it tuned up and riding it for a bit. I say this because when I got back into riding after a long break I didn’t really know what I wanted and bought the wrong bike for me because after riding a bit my ideas changed. So if your GF is serviceable use it for a bit before going new.

45lbs in 10 weeks is amazing loss!
Old 05-02-19, 12:01 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Great job trying to lose weight. I'm younger but if I haven't changed my ways I would be diagnosed with diabetes most likely. At age 25 I was 360lbs, I started lifting heavy weights and cutting calories back, doing a powerlifting program. I ended up losing 120lbs and I'm sitting at about 240-250 as of today, 5 years later. I still want to lose about 50 lbs and I just got a road bike with narrow tires and carbon everything, I love the speed vs my mountain bike and I'm totally new to the sport. Anyways not much help to give you as far as bikes go, but welcome back to riding!
Old 05-03-19, 06:45 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by skiptuba
This is the key detail. You almost definitely need at least an XL size. Many bike shops don't understand the needs of the larger and taller rider and may be eager to sell what they have on the floor even if it isn't an ideal fit, and less-than-ideal fit can seriously hinder your enjoyment.
Old 06-30-19, 07:44 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skiptuba
Hello Forum!

I'm new to this place, but not totally new to cycling...still have my 2000 Gary Fischer Tassajara, but looking to come back to riding on something a bit more...modern.

10 weeks ago today, I had a stroke and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. At the time, I weighed 320. As of today, I'm 275 and have reversed the diabetes (est 5.1 A1C w/o insulin) through strict diet and exercise. I've been researching gravel bikes a lot and with living in Chicago near Lake Michigan, I would like to take advantage of the Lakefront trail as well as some of the forest preserve paths/trails to the West and also the New River Trail in SWVA when I'm home visiting family.

My LBS has these three in stock and I was wondering if you guys had an advice/experience with them that you could share:

Cannondale Topstone Sora

Cannondale CAADX Tiagra d24 (2018)

Jamis Renegade Expat 2019

Any experience/advice you can share would be greatly appreciated. I've learn quite a bit so far and have really enjoyed the vibe here.

Thanks,
Josh
I'd keep the Gary Fisher too. It's a solid bike.

I'd be interested in how you reversed the diabetes. What sort of diet did you follow? Keto? I'm at the heaviest I ever was. My hba1c was borderline a year ago so I am sure I'm a closet diabetic.
Old 07-01-19, 08:18 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
I'd keep the Gary Fisher too. It's a solid bike.

I'd be interested in how you reversed the diabetes. What sort of diet did you follow? Keto? I'm at the heaviest I ever was. My hba1c was borderline a year ago so I am sure I'm a closet diabetic.
I won't say that I have reversed diabetes since I am still taking oral medications and insulin. But I have reduced my insulin intake from by more than 55% since I started cycling daily (I normally try to get a 20 mile ride in). I also try to limit the intake of carbs too.
Old 07-03-19, 08:47 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
hey Newbie..

First of all, glad you survived. 2nd, follow your doc's guidance strictly. As in exercise as per his instructions, and no more.

If the Tassajara fits and is comfortable, I'll second the idea of getting it tuned, new tires , etc. you already own the bike. Newer isn't always better.

Once you get an idea of how much you want to ride or can tolerate, start there. Will you ride cycling paths? The street? Offroad? Gravel roads?

Consider your budget as well. Used bikes are often a great buy.
Old 07-03-19, 11:33 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 93 Posts
I also second/third the idea of riding your Gary Fischer for a bit longer as long as it is economical to do so. Ride the lakefront trail and ride those forest preserves. Think of it as information gathering and it gives you the chance to see where your cycling journey takes you. For instance, in 2017 I bought a Trek DS2 as I started riding again. After only a few months of riding the DS2 and reading Bike Forums and other research I knew I wanted a gravel bike and wanted to ride long days. I don't regret the Trek DS but I'll sell it soon.

If you are set on a new bike then the most important thing is fit. Try each and see how it goes. Don't buy it and hope it will work out.

The trails in Chicago you mentioned won't tax a gravel bike. They are either paved or crushed limestone. Some crushed limestone trails get bumpy in spring but smooth out over the summer. Go to the web and see what tires come with each bike(not that tires can't be changed). This is where riding the bike you have can give you insight into your next step.

As to the bikes mentioned: This year I bought a Cannondale Topstone 105. It took six months for my LBS to get them in stock and in my size. I am 6' 2 1/2" and I suspect I am long legged. I tried the Large but there was a substantial drop from seat to handlebars. I bought an XL and it fits quite well. Have about 800 miles on it since April and am very happy with it. The 105 groupset was my splurge and I love it. I primarily ride crushed limestone paths around the western suburbs of Chicago with aspirations toward the gravel roads farther west.

Good work on the weight loss.