Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Trek July Challenge on Stravia

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Trek July Challenge on Stravia

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 10:28 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
So I already have 208 miles. It tells me the shirt will be at my local Trek store in September. So how does that work? Are they going to email me and say your Strava shirt is in, or do I walk into the Trek store in September and say I'm supposed to get a free t-shirt from the Trek challenge....then have the guy behind the counter look at me like I have something growing out of my head?
Likes For jadocs:
Old 07-11-19, 09:36 AM
rivercity65

Bikes: Roubaix Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's dope. Congrats!
Old 07-11-19, 09:51 AM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
...then have the guy behind the counter look at me like I have something growing out of my head?
Yeah, That!
Likes For Jac of Hearts:
Old 07-11-19, 10:13 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
My phone overheated during my ride yesterday, so Strava THINKS I've only done 96 miles so far...but I'll hit the 100 tomorrow anyway. I won't hit 500, so the missing 4 miles is just a minor irritation.
Likes For Aahzz:
Old 07-15-19, 12:38 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You only have to get 100 miles for the t shirt. They wanted my email and shirt size, told me t shirt would be available at local Trek dealer in Sept. 500 miles will get you entry into a drawing for a fancy new Trek. Don't think 1000 miles gets you anything extra.
I think 1000 is eligible for factory tour.
Old 07-15-19, 12:45 PM
jadocs

You only have to get 100 miles for the t shirt. They wanted my email and shirt size, told me t shirt would be available at local Trek dealer in Sept. 500 miles will get you entry into a drawing for a fancy new Trek. Don't think 1000 miles gets you anything extra.
Sweet I already have 401, I'll hit 500 by next weekend.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 07-23-19, 06:25 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Currently at 130 miles for July. Hope to make it to 200 miles. Cooler this week some I'm going to commute to work.
Old 07-26-19, 07:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I thought I might make 1000 but time is running out and I'm at 830, 170 short. I have three more "usual" riding days, which may/may not be enough. Trying to decide if I want to obsess and do an extra ride or just finish with "whatever." I hate being obsessive but ending up 20 or so miles short after a month just doesn't seem right.
Old 07-28-19, 02:15 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I got slammed this month, and am only now getting up to speed. 57 miles so far, and 3 days to go.

We'll see. At my current fitness level, it may be a bit of a challenge, but I hate to fail with something I should be able to manage pretty easily.

(7-29) 70.7 miles in... will get some tomorrow and hopefully join a group ride on Wednesday. Whatever miles I need after that, I'll just pedal off after that ride.

Last edited by velojym; 07-29-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 10:02 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Finished a while ago. Ordered the t-shirt in my husband's size since he rides a Trek and I don't. Besides, he refuses to wear the cycling jersey I bought him because he thinks it makes him "look fat". So I guess he'll just continue to misplace his wallet because he has no pockets. (3 times now).
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 07-29-19, 10:16 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
So I guess he'll just continue to misplace his wallet because he has no pockets. (3 times now).
Saddlebag.
Old 07-29-19, 10:40 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Finished a while ago. Ordered the t-shirt in my husband's size since he rides a Trek and I don't. Besides, he refuses to wear the cycling jersey I bought him because he thinks it makes him "look fat". So I guess he'll just continue to misplace his wallet because he has no pockets. (3 times now).
LOL I got a chuckle out of this. I think I look fat in mine too.
Old 07-29-19, 02:35 PM
Jac of Hearts

Originally Posted by jadocs
LOL I got a chuckle out of this. I think I look fat in mine too.
Why I ride in a tee shirt.

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl:
So I guess he'll just continue to misplace his wallet because he has no pockets. (3 times now).
So that's what those pockets are for. I was wondering.
Old 07-29-19, 07:00 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Saddlebag.
yes. The problem comes when he gets off the bike. He's left it on the roof of the car twice while getting gas and in a coffee shop after a rest stop.
Old 07-29-19, 07:19 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
After my rides I usually change to a t-shirt. I slip my phone and wallet under my shorts over my thigh. One on each leg.
Old 07-30-19, 06:12 AM
Jac of Hearts

Originally Posted by 2cam16
After my rides I usually change to a t-shirt. I slip my phone and wallet under my shorts over my thigh. One on each leg.
My phone is my computer so it's on my handlebars. I dont carry a wallet but the shorts I wear over my padded bike underwear have a zippered pocket I keep some cash in. I keep a copy of my ID in my saddlebag.
Old 07-30-19, 07:38 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I'm at 78.8 miles and quite frankly disappointed in myself. I had hoped to ride my "maintenance" route of 14 miles every other day. It did not happen. Mea culpa, but it's been a busy summer with a family vacation and having a 12yo on summer vacation who is unwilling to come out with me on rides. I don't quite trust to leave him home alone for over 30 minutes.

That being said, switching from Map My Ride to Strava has been somewhat eye-opening and FWIW I've made some progress. Though the speed figures may be misleading I find myself keeping a more even cadence and have learned not to be glued to the saddle on long steady climbs. I like that it compares segments and my figures have at least been steadily increasing. I'm listening to my body more and fatigue is less and less of an issue.

Looking forward, I will probably go over the 100 miles next month but God I hate riding in the heat. My wife and I are entered into 2 rides in August so that's at least 60 miles right there and we have another 44 mile ride in September that we're looking forward to. She's got designs to ride a 62 mile ride on her FX2 in October but I haven't signed up for it yet. I'm actually looking forward to it cooling down and riding in November and hopefully beyond. Though I haven't met the challenge this year is much better than last year for me. Isn't that the whole point? I admit that I am not competitive. I ride more for the Zen feeling.

I'm hoping that next year gets even better. I figure that I'll have to upgrade some worn components on my bike too.
Old 07-30-19, 12:36 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Just under 16 miles left. There's supposed to be a group ride tomorrow that'll take up most of that, if not I'll just hit the cutoff lap I've been using lately and knock it out.

I may actually be pushing it a little, at my current fitness level, but it's not a huge goal, and I'm awful close.
Old 07-30-19, 01:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Today put me at 1021, may take tomorrow off Wonder when they will send me my new Trek?
Old 07-30-19, 02:27 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm not going to get near 500 miles like I wanted, I will have in the 220 mile range. On the 13th as my wife and I were crossing a busy intersection she was spooked by a car and veered in front of me, taking out my front wheel and putting me on the ground for a nice slide into the middle of 2 lanes. I got up and rode the 13ish miles home. That took me off the bike for about a week as the impact hurt my shoulder/collar bone and drug some skin off of my knee and elbow.

Last week I noticed that my bike wasn't shifting for s**t. So I put it on my stand to get it adjusted and the derailleur hanger is twisted in a nice S. So my ride on Sunday went from 50 miles on the road bike to 20 on my fat bike. My nightly rides are down to 16 now. Did I mention I have a century ride scheduled for Saturday? I hope I get the new hanger in time.

Needless to say, I'll just be getting a t-shirt.
Likes For Yendor72:
Old 07-31-19, 06:06 AM
velojym

I may miss out on that t-shirt this time around. Woke up this morning to find my daughter wasn't feeling well, so I'm gonna skip the ride to keep an eye on her, take her to the doc if needed.
If I can, I'll try to bang the remaining miles out this afternoon, but will need to take care of Zoe first.
Likes For velojym:
Old 07-31-19, 06:27 AM
jadocs

Today put me at 1021, may take tomorrow off Wonder when they will send me my new Trek?
That's a heck of a lot of miles. I'm only sitting at 720miles as of today. You must be a commuter or retired and enjoying life!
Old 07-31-19, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Retired, thankfully! Normally don't have that many miles, that's probably the most I've done in one month.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-31-19, 08:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
Needless to say, I'll just be getting a t-shirt.
That's all I expect. I may wear it out a time or two, then it'll probably be relegated to fence-painting or chain-lubing wear.

Trek please note: I'm more likely to wear it riding around town so lots of people can see me if I'm riding a new Trek that I win!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-31-19, 07:40 PM
velojym

It's amazing the power of a spouse's casual acceptance. As I took my daughter to to doc this morning, and stayed home with her after, rather than ride, after supper my wife asked me whether I'd be riding. I muttered something about it getting dark soon, and that it was just a t-shirt and digi badge. She nodded and said "Ok."

I put on my shorts and went for a ride. Though I suffered a flat about a third of the way through, I fixed it and pushed over the 100 mile mark.

Lovely sunset, and a guy in a paramotor was winging his way around the area. At one point I was ready to kick myself for not having my Canon with me, as his sunset-illuminated canopy passed a rainbow. Oh, well. At least I got to see it.

So, I get a t-shirt in September.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.