Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Climbing. Stand or sit and spin?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Climbing. Stand or sit and spin?

Old 07-18-19, 09:17 AM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
To show that I'm not just an angry old fart on the Intertubzs, I'll contribute something helpful. Climbing out of the saddle is more then just standing up and pushing down on the pedals. If you watch someone on YouTube standing during a climb, you'll see that they push the bike from side-to-side. ...

Hope this helps. If all us Clydes get good enough at out of the saddle climbing, perhaps we can thumb our collective noses at people who say we can't climb
I do find that if I'm climbing in a higher gear I am "light" in the saddle and the bike naturally sways from side to side. I also notice that I'm pulling on the handle bars. That's one reason I have bar extensions on my DS. Maybe I'm halfway there and just need to work on it more.
Old 07-18-19, 11:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
I do find that if I'm climbing in a higher gear I am "light" in the saddle and the bike naturally sways from side to side. I also notice that I'm pulling on the handle bars. That's one reason I have bar extensions on my DS. Maybe I'm halfway there and just need to work on it more.
Just to be clear, your bike should only sway from side-to-side if you are out of the saddle. If you are in the saddle, it shouldn't move much off of a straight line.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!