Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What comfortable saddles do you guys use?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What comfortable saddles do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 02:50 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Seats are a personal thing, but its also only 1/2 the equation. The padding in the pants are part of it as well. Lots ride thinly padded seats that they claim is very comfortable, forgetting to mention the 1/2" padding in their shorts.

From my experience seats shaped to support the sit bones and not squeeze the perineum is the best bet and get one with dense padding as well and get pants with a proper chamois. The cheaper pants tend to have thin soft padding that doesnt really do much.
Old 07-19-19, 04:13 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
Just did an Ebay search, there are 329 Selle Italia saddles for sale at $30 or less.
Yeah, thanks, I'm well aware of the existence of exceptions, to virtually everything. I was obviously referencing the recommendations for stuff like the Brooks B17 and Selle Italia Flite Ti, which ain't under $30.
Old 07-19-19, 05:00 AM
PeaceByJesus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jm88
Thank you for the suggestions. I probably should have been more clear and realized that you guys are much more serious bikers than I am so you are going to recommend the best. The bike I have is pretty basic and 20 years old, probably around $300 new, and if I am lucky, I may go riding 10 miles max at a time with my kids on the occasional weekend so I do not want to spend nearly half of what the bike is worth on a saddle for just occasional use. I just want something relatively inexpensive (probably not more than $30 as I see a bunch of them on Amazon) that has to be more comfortable than the brick of a seat that is on there now! Thank you.
Perhaps one of those cheap (but quite strong) padded silicone gel seat covers on Ebay would work for you. They stretch to fit most seats (and are secured via the use of a adjustable drawstring, though from the looks of yours it may be close (Size: 28cm x 17cm x 0.5cm/11.02" x 6.69" x 0.2'' Approx.). For a long time I was a able to get them for 0.99 on Ebay, and many of the city kids and adults like them (for that price) as a cover for their seats. But as of this month I can only find them as low as 1.46 . Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-19, 07:46 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Yeah, thanks, I'm well aware of the existence of exceptions, to virtually everything. I was obviously referencing the recommendations for stuff like the Brooks B17 and Selle Italia Flite Ti, which ain't under $30.
Ebay has 3 Flite Ti's under $30. Why not try to help the guy instead of chastise us for our suggestions?
Old 07-19-19, 08:16 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
Why not try to help the guy instead of chastise us for our suggestions?
Actually, if you'd read the thread, you'd have noticed that I DID try and help the guy, with a lengthy post, complete with recommendations and links, while you seem focused on breaking my balls because I very mildly commented on folks recommending $100+ saddles to a guy with a $30 budget.
Instead of giving me a hard time and telling me how unhelpful I am, why don't you just post him some actual links to those $30 Flite Ti saddles (oh wait, Flite Ti's are much too small and stiff for the OP, who clearly asked for something more comfortable and suited to a very casual neighborhood rider,which you'd have realized........if you'd read the thread.)

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-19-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 08:39 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
My mtn.bike has a Terry Men's Liberator (the std.plain one) and my road bike has a Serfas Dorado. I'm pleased with both. I'm a lightweight (around 155). The Terry is a bit more expensive, the Serfas is very reasonable, tho over $30 retail ($42 most places). If you need more padding, but don't like bike shorts with a chamois, try Andiamo underwear (lightly padded)-I use them and have a friend who tried and likes them also.

Last edited by freeranger; 07-19-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 09:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceByJesus
Perhaps one of those cheap (but quite strong) padded silicone gel seat covers on Ebay would work for you. They stretch to fit most seats (and are secured via the use of a adjustable drawstring, though from the looks of yours it may be close (Size: 28cm x 17cm x 0.5cm/11.02" x 6.69" x 0.2'' Approx.). For a long time I was a able to get them for 0.99 on Ebay, and many of the city kids and adults like them (for that price) as a cover for their seats. But as of this month I can only find them as low as 1.46 . Hope this helps.

For a couple bucks, it's worth a try. My experience with them is not so stellar, but YYMV. One of my co-workers memorably described it as "like sitting on a bag full of snot."
Old 07-19-19, 10:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Seats are a personal thing, but its also only 1/2 the equation. The padding in the pants are part of it as well. Lots ride thinly padded seats that they claim is very comfortable, forgetting to mention the 1/2" padding in their shorts.
Not this guy. I hate thick, squishy padding in shorts, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-19-19, 10:59 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've found saddles with a cut out to be a real game changer for comfort.

The ones I've bought have been cheap and cheerful chinese saddles from Amazon or eBay; looking at my purchase history the last one I bought cost less than £15: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015MKSNV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WmFmDbXHMQKM7]Link to saddle on Amazon[/url]

I've done rides of over 100km on these saddles with no problems.

Clothing also has a big effect on comfort; I'd agree with the advice above on clothing.

One other factor is bike design; nearly all my road bikes are older French built steel framed machines that have a superb way of soaking up road vibration and harshness. My aluminium road bike on the other hand is far less pleasant to ride and transmits far more through the bars and seat.
Old 07-19-19, 11:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
$30 really limits your options, as you'll have to know what you want, and where to find it inexpensively.

I ride several types of saddles, all of which are comfortable (for me), but none of which fit your budget. In fact, none of the name brands mentioned above can be had for $30 unless you're very fortunate.

Someone mentioned Terry. My wife and daughter both enjoy the Terry Liberator. There's a men's version that might fit the bill, but only if you can find one used.