Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Survey: which type of light do you prefer for night time gravel riding?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-19-19, 04:14 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, I have lately gotten into the habit of going for fairly short 1 or 2 hour gravel rides early in the morning, so I am back home in time to start work. There is no issue with light in summer but I want to keep doing this during autumn and winter and was therefore looking into light options. There are quite a few options to choose from with a high lumen count, but I think the main decision has to be between.

1. lights with an integrated battery pack, or
2. lights with an external battery pack that has to be placed somewhere else on the bike

I guess the main advantage of number 1 is no cables but the light itself is heavier than number 2 which might be an issue when mounted on the handlebar and going down a bumpy track.

What kind of light do you prefer for night gravel riding on unlit dirt roads?

Any advice will be appreciated

Lars
Old 07-19-19, 06:19 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Integrated. Much simpler - fewer parts, no wires, etc.

I run both helmet and bar lights. Riding on bumpy surfaces has not been a problem.

Bar lights get attached to the underside of the GPS mount via GoPro connector. It is rock solid.

Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-19-19, 06:38 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I'll tell you what works great for my phone: Integrated battery (obviously) but can be operated while charging via a portable USB battery pack tucked in my top tube bag or frame bag...this way i have a failsafe for my ineptitude at keeping my phone adequately charged. Portable USB battery packs are life savers for this...I bought one with a giant battery a few years ago to keep my phone charged for DK and use it all the time now.

Some lights with integrated batteries can charge while turned on, so a similar setup would work. I’ve actually been looking at getting something like that myself.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 07-19-19, 07:26 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Integrated. Much simpler - fewer parts, no wires, etc.

I run both helmet and bar lights. Riding on bumpy surfaces has not been a problem.

Bar lights get attached to the underside of the GPS mount via GoPro connector. It is rock solid.

Thanks, that mount looks good...although it would mean new mounts for my bikes and probably would not work on the road bike (because of integrated bars). Looks definitely much sturdier than the mounts on the bar!

What light is that by the way?
Old 07-19-19, 07:45 AM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
I'll tell you what works great for my phone: Integrated battery (obviously) but can be operated while charging via a portable USB battery pack tucked in my top tube bag or frame bag...this way i have a failsafe for my ineptitude at keeping my phone adequately charged. Portable USB battery packs are life savers for this...I bought one with a giant battery a few years ago to keep my phone charged for DK and use it all the time now.

Some lights with integrated batteries can charge while turned on, so a similar setup would work. I’ve actually been looking at getting something like that myself.
Not too concerned about my phone...I am not using it for tracking or anything like that...so phone battery would only be an issue for multi-day endurance trips (The Huawei P30 Pro battery is pretty amazing) and I don't imagine these night bike rides will be any longer than 2h...I'd like good brightness but don't need it to last for hours and hours...
Old 07-19-19, 09:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Sito
Thanks, that mount looks good...although it would mean new mounts for my bikes and probably would not work on the road bike (because of integrated bars). Looks definitely much sturdier than the mounts on the bar!

What light is that by the way?
The light is an Exposre Strada 1200 which is discontinued. They now make the Strada SL, RS and SB with various max brightness levels. Burn time is 3+ hours on high and by dropping to low power when full brightness isn't needed I can easily get five hours out of it. A metric at night isn't a problem.

Integrated bars are a challenge to get mounts, especially if you are looking for a mount with dual GPS/GoPro capability. Check Tate Labs - Barfly. They might have something.

Also consider a helmet mounted light to go with it. The Light & Motion Vis Pro is excellent.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-19-19, 09:16 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sito
Not too concerned about my phone...I am not using it for tracking or anything like that...so phone battery would only be an issue for multi-day endurance trips (The Huawei P30 Pro battery is pretty amazing) and I don't imagine these night bike rides will be any longer than 2h...I'd like good brightness but don't need it to last for hours and hours...
I guess what I was trying to say is that that if you buy a light that has an integrated battery but can be running while it’s charging off a USB battery pack, you can hedge against forgetting to charge your light...even if you are only riding an hour or two a day, you might need to remember to remove and charge your light every week or so. Again, may not be a concern for you, just a thought.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 07-19-19, 09:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
For just a couple hours I've had good luck with the Bontrager Ion.
Old 07-19-19, 09:47 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I use the Stone Mountain Trail from North Decatur to Tucker, GA that runs through Clarkston. Reporting time is 0700, so I get the same conditions: Winter is night-like, and even Autumn is dark under the mass of trees. I run a USB chargeable Cygolite 360. In dark conditions, I put it on a setting that acts like a car's headlight in front (not incredible, but I can see the pathway ahead of me) and intermittently pulse flashes for attention. I am well pleased with it.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-19-19, 09:57 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I have a 1600 serfas E-lume that i run on low 400 lumen. (Usually). However there are times I am grateful for and use the brighter settings of 1600/1000/700

Edit:

Let me add some more info.

the 1200 E-lume and 1600 E-lumen pretty much weight the same. IMO makes the 1600 a better light of the 2 to own. So I never timed it, but Serfas says 6.5 hours on low 400 lumen. 4.5 hours at 700 lumen.
the feature I like the best is Last Mode Memory.

For comparison Light and Motion may have better reflectors. and a better low/bright pulse instead of a flash mode. but the Taz 1200 is 6 hours at 300 lumen for low.

I have only ever ran the Light and Motion fast charge 800, but the Taz 1200 hits my short list.

I am torn between which to buy for a second light. Light and Motion will win due to having a Go-pro type mount interface. Serfas will win due to last mode memory. L&M wins due to reflector and pulse mode.
Is there that big of a difference between 300-400 lumen on low. Probably not. and anything over 1,000 is bright! so 1600 vs 1200 is kind of overkill.

btw due to a misprint engraving the taz1200 is $99 they have 800 etched on the body instead of 1200. so it has a sticker over it.

@Sito

https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/...aign=taz_promo

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products...0-e-lume-1600/

Last edited by Metieval; 07-19-19 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-19-19, 10:46 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Historically lights with external battery packs have longer run times and can run brighter lights (Historically meaning 2-3 years ago when I last looked at lights)
Likes For tdilf:
Old 07-19-19, 11:04 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Integrated unless it's an all nighter. We’ve got a bunch of Niterider Luminas and Micros. The Luminas are a little heavy and the mounts sometimes rotate on gravel. The Micros are great lights, last almost as long and easily fit in small packs. They can be used on helmet and bar mounts. Be aware that battery life is a lot less in cold temps - maybe half when it’s below freezing. Our rides tend to be shorter then too. We usually ride with both helmet and bar lights. It’s rare we run them on anything more than lowest settings on gravel.
Likes For veloz:
Old 07-19-19, 11:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I use the light I have, which has an external battery pack which mounts under the top tube. I move the setup from bike to bike. here's my road bike in commuter mode

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-19-19 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-19-19, 01:35 PM
MPE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For rides that don't go all night, I like the NiteRider Lumina line. They have held up to many chargings and gravel rides of several hours. I have one on the handlebars and one on my helmet (if needed). I also use them as my daytime running lights on the road, so they get lots of use. Their tailights are good too.

Let us know what you decide.

Take care,
MPE

<><
Likes For MPE:
Old 07-19-19, 06:42 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I use the light I have, which has an external battery pack which mounts under the top tube. I move the setup from bike to bike. here's my road bike in commuter mode

I've went through 3 of those lights already. $25 x3 is $75

according to my perception they only output in the 400-500 range, and have a really bad reflector. with a hot spot or dead spot dead center.

I also tired of the cable, I am 100% sold on internal batteries now.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-19-19, 07:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Metieval
I've went through 3 of those lights already. $25 x3 is $75 according to my perception they only output in the 400-500 range, and have a really bad reflector. with a hot spot or dead spot dead center.I also tired of the cable, I am 100% sold on internal batteries now.
I think maybe you bought those cheap Chinese knock offs, cuz yeah they stink. I tried one too so I would have a back up. this is the real deal original Magicshine but with a better battery. I also have an extension cord so I can put the battery in my rear trunk. to help the beam pattern I installed a wide angle diffuser & a DIY beam cut off hood. they both were big improvements. they certainly make better lights now.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-19-19, 07:52 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I think maybe you bought those cheap Chinese knock offs, cuz yeah they stink. I tried one too so I would have a back up. this is the real deal original Magicshine but with a better battery. I also have an extension cord so I can put the battery in my rear trunk. to help the beam pattern I installed a wide angle diffuser & a DIY beam cut off hood. they both were big improvements. they certainly make better lights now.
yes I bough the ebay knock off lights.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-19-19, 08:52 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by fuzzy chainring
This made me chuckle since the "real deal original Magicshine" was a Chinese knock off of Lupine, IIRC
oh interesting!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-20-19, 11:14 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
THis is a killer light, and a killer price ($55 for 900 lumens in a light excellent package).

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion-Urban-900-Bike/dp/B000NOO6B2

I like them so much, i bought 2. One for my bars, one for my helmet. Although if the helmet is too bright, there is a lot of glare (especially off of road signs).

I do like a little cygoligte or nightrider all in one lightweight strapped to my helmet.

getting a bright powerful light (900 lumens) and using it at low power can get you a lot of burn time.
Likes For chas58:
Old 07-22-19, 09:09 AM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys for all the insight and light suggestions. I'll have a look at all of those, also need to look at availability and pricing in Europe cause that is where I am based.

Few things to take away from this:

- no clear preferences for integrated vs external battery
- stay away form Chinese knock-offs (right?)
- 1000 lumens seems to be more than enough for your typical night gravel ride, so no need for massive battery packs and super-expensive lights
Old 07-22-19, 09:37 AM
rumrunn6

I think my setup works well enough not to buy something else yet

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-22-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 09:38 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by chas58
THis is a killer light, and a killer price ($55 for 900 lumens in a light excellent package).

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion-Urban-900-Bike/dp/B000NOO6B2

I like them so much, i bought 2. One for my bars, one for my helmet. Although if the helmet is too bright, there is a lot of glare (especially off of road signs).
FYI, $48 at Excel Sports.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=3&minor=6

I also own two.

-Tim-
Old 07-22-19, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

the side lights are cool. what does the beam pattern look like? found a clip of the 800