Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bar end lights for bullhorn bars

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 03:36 PM
trob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-07, 03:43 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you say a little more on what you are looking for?
Old 08-27-07, 03:46 PM
rob3rto
rolling wheels and 88s

Bikes: schwinn crisscross, 06 giant bowery, iron horse warrior disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they'd be any different than regular bar end lights unless your bullhorns are really strangely shaped: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...End+Light.aspx
Old 08-27-07, 03:48 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
yes, Performance and others sell bar end lights; the commuter forum says they aren't bright enough but for bull horns they could look pretty wicked. Like red eyes coming at you in the dark.

get some and post pics on your bullhorns

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4322
Old 08-27-07, 03:49 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red lights on the front of your bike seems questionable to me. People recognize red as the rear of vehicles. I think the ones linked above are made for flat bars (white light pointing forward, red pointing backwards).

Edit: I am referring to the link from rob3rto
Old 08-27-07, 04:10 PM
Gambutrol

Bikes: 3Rensho SRA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bar end lights?! i had no idea. I'm gonna get some for my riz0rs.
Old 08-27-07, 05:14 PM
Hirohsima

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ends of most bullhorns point up, so the only creature that will see them will be the odd bird circling above you and the bus driver who is about ready to run you over.

Plus they are dim, as others have noted. I use this with much success: https://www.niterider.com/prod_sol.shtml
Old 08-27-07, 09:10 PM
trob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I know that bullhorns point upwards. That's why I posted this. I'm wondering if there are any bar end lights that stick out a little and shine a white LED almost perpendicular to the direction the bar points.
Old 08-27-07, 09:22 PM
Hirohsima

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trob
I'm wondering if there are any bar end lights that stick out a little and shine a white LED almost perpendicular to the direction the bar points.
They don't exist, unless you fabricate them yourself. What you are describing would be useless to anyone using drops, and white LED's that small provide next to no light for forward facing applications.
Old 08-27-07, 09:31 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
they could however be good for being seen by.

there was a video, i think a 3bansho vid on youtube, with someone that had them in nitto drops and my god they looked awesome... like a badass demon with sand in his eyes in the shadows and lights on a bike when he went under streetlights.

you can find them for 15 bucks online, 20 bucks at performance in store, and 15 bucks from some cooler stores.

it astounds me that these things aren't under ten dollars. i'm thinking of making my own out of tireflys.

tireflys, tape, and some pushing should do the trick. just need lots of tape. first, i need drops though. major taylors look about right, but i want that NJS stamp from the more expensive b123's.
Old 08-27-07, 09:59 PM
a b seize
spaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these are some fancy products. sometimes i wear a headlamp at night...it's just that i had one of those and i didn't have the money for a bike light.
Old 08-27-07, 10:19 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if you're worried about seeing the road in front of you, you really don't have any other options than a 20+ dollar battery powered system that sucks and is only good for being seen by, or a 80+ rechargable halogen lighting system that actually works. expect to pay 120 for one that will make you happy.

if you're worried about being seen, buy some 10-20 blinkie lights along with some reflective stuff and blink the **** out of others. they work fine, especially for cars that will light up your reflector stickers/vest/cuffs/tape.
Old 08-27-07, 11:16 PM
thequickfix
fails just as quickly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always wanted to get a bunch of these and festoon my steel bike. I wonder how strong the magnet is.
Old 08-27-07, 11:31 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ooh handy. what are they called? where? how much?
Old 08-27-07, 11:46 PM
thequickfix
fails just as quickly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're popular with the raver crowd. I don't know where to buy them besides online. The thing is that most places seem to sell them in sets of 50 or so. Google something like "magnetic LED body light".
Old 08-28-07, 12:29 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The magnets on those things are real strong quickfix. I seem to remember it exerting a bit of force even all the way through my finger, though my memory is fuzzy as i was on a lot of drugs at the time.
Old 08-28-07, 12:55 AM
bward1028

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by barba
Red lights on the front of your bike seems questionable to me. People recognize red as the rear of vehicles. I think the ones linked above are made for flat bars (white light pointing forward, red pointing backwards).
+1
it seems like they'd shine into my eyes, too

Old 08-28-07, 01:08 AM
Astronomical
Double Agent

Bikes: Fly Pantera, GT GTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pop those dual sided ones in some tempos and you're legit.
Old 08-28-07, 08:35 AM
Nouia
/\/\ \/\/

Bikes: 2007 Trek 6000, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds like a fun project. What I would do is get a pair of Cree LED emmiters ( https://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2394 ) and hook them up to a pre-made regulator board ( https://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3256 ) designed for LEDs, and hook that to 4-6 "AA" battery cells stashed in a battery holder inside the bars. Install the LED emitters into a some aluminum reflector ( https://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3257 ) and JB Weld those puppies into a copper 90* elbow fitting, like for plumbing, and mount the elbow fittings somehow (so its easily removable) on the ends of the bullhorn so they face down. Wire it all up, test it, and stash all the AA cells, the regulator, and wiring inside the bars. Add a switch and you're good to go.

Check these guys out:

https://myfwyc.org/bikeled/DIY_LED_Bi...ing_Guide.html
https://myfwyc.org/Timberlake/CreeLEDLight
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=171702
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=126276

I should try this out...

BTW with those CREE emitters, you'll be pumping out some SERIOUS lumens, these aren't just decorative, a rig like this could easily compete with one of the $400 DiNotte lighting systems. WAY bright.
Old 08-28-07, 08:42 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
****ing cool.

are they brighter than superflux?
Old 08-28-07, 09:51 AM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another option would be to squeeze one of the little led flashlights into the bar- something like this
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8219
should fit inside cutoff bars, and give you good visibility.
Old 08-28-07, 12:13 PM
Nouia
/\/\ \/\/

Bikes: 2007 Trek 6000, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
****ing cool.

are they brighter than superflux?
I think so, I'm not that familiar with superflux. The CREE get around 73 lumens per watt, and they totally changed the flashlight game when they came out last fall. They instantly made incandescents obsolete, IMO, just changed everything. Put a CREE drop-in replacement/upgrade in a maglight and you'll be getting 2-3x the output for 2-3x longer, at least. Now Lumileds/Philips is coming out with a new 100 lumen/watt LED, the Rebel 100, thats just now (as in, this month) hitting the shelves with the new Fenixes.

You can make them as bright as you want, its just based on your power source and regulation circuitry. That one guy I linked to, I think he overdrives his to get, like 200 lumens output from each Cree. DealExtreme has some cool 5-mode regulators, so you can get hi/low/strobe functions on there.

I don't know what I was thinking earlier about putting the AAs in the handlebars, thats actually pretty ridiculous ha. I got carried away with my scheming. You'd probably want to mount only the LED/regulator assembly in the copper housing that actually goes on the bullhorns, the run a cord down to a small Neoprene sack (like, one of those neoprene sunglass pouches) attached to the water bottle cage, or in seatbag or somethings, that has your batteries and switch. Definitely want NiMh rechargeables too.

edit: oh, and definitely use copper for the led/reflector housing, because it acts as a heat sink, which you need because these things get real hot. If you try and use PVC or something like that, after 10 minutes runtime you'll have some crispy/dead LEDs. And maybe a small fire.

Last edited by Nouia; 08-28-07 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 01:06 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trob
Yes, I know that bullhorns point upwards. That's why I posted this. I'm wondering if there are any bar end lights that stick out a little and shine a white LED almost perpendicular to the direction the bar points.
the Knog dual direction bar end light is the best you are going to do... it was already linked from jensen...
the lights emit perpendicular from the bar... the white forward and the red faces slightly rearward

there's also another version called the tadpole, not sure what the difference is
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...-Twin-Pack.htm

i can't attest for their quality, but this product was made for exactly what you are asking about. i've seen them mounted on bullhorns once before and instead of shining forward (as if they were on a flat bar) they shoot down at the ground. the only thing i would think might be a problem is that the red is going to be aimed back up at your face...

Last edited by wearyourtruth; 08-28-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 02:59 PM
geist
suffering...

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAPO, 2004 Look 468SL, CAAD 8, IRO MV, IRO bfssfg, 80's Panasonic x2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cc700

tireflys, tape, and some pushing should do the trick. just need lots of tape. first, i need drops though. major taylors look about right, but i want that NJS stamp from the more expensive b123's.

You could drill out some end plugs and set the lights in there also.
Old 08-28-07, 04:08 PM
a b seize
spaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thequickfix
They're popular with the raver crowd. I don't know where to buy them besides online. The thing is that most places seem to sell them in sets of 50 or so. Google something like "magnetic LED body light".
50 or so eh? somebody organize a bfssfg group buy on these things.