Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tires... Is there a difference???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 05:04 AM
Tomsl923833

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Is a gum wall better then a black wall??? I see the gum wall on tiresdirect and, niagra are more expensive. Other than the look is there a difference in quality??? They both over time dry rott and, crack. Then theirs the foldable v.s. non-foldable. I can grasp the idea of the non-foldable because I've bought the foldable and, they are slightly deformed from the the way they are handled. I never bought the wire bead type for the simple fact that they would be more difficult to stretch over the rim. But I don't know that for a fact maybe, that's my perspective.
Old 10-07-17, 06:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
BITD, black sidewalls were indicative of a heavy, low-end tire. Today, even high-end tires can have black or colored sidewalls. Construction (thread count, tread, etc.) are what now distinguish low-end from high-end tires.

In my experience, folding bead tires tend to be more difficult to mount than wire bead tires. Folding bead tires tend to lighter and more expensive than wire bead tires.
Old 10-07-17, 07:47 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomsl923833
...I never bought the wire bead type for the simple fact that they would be more difficult to stretch over the rim. But I don't know that for a fact maybe, that's my perspective.
If the bead really stretched for any important amount during mounting, inflation pressure would shoot it off the rim instantly.
Mounting technique is all about freeing up enough bead by setting some of it in the deepest section of the rim to get enough slack for the last to go over.
Old 10-07-17, 08:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Is a gum wall better then a black wall??? I see the gum wall on tiresdirect and, niagra are more expensive. Other than the look is there a difference in quality??? They both over time dry rott and, crack. Then theirs the foldable v.s. non-foldable. I can grasp the idea of the non-foldable because I've bought the foldable and, they are slightly deformed from the the way they are handled. I never bought the wire bead type for the simple fact that they would be more difficult to stretch over the rim. But I don't know that for a fact maybe, that's my perspective.
Black is just gum wall that has been colored. Some tires come in both colors and there is no performance difference.

In my experience, wire bead vs folding is mostly an issue of cost vs weight. Wire beads have some extra durability and reliability that probably matter when doing an unsupported tour through Siberia, but in my experience have never made a difference for me (I've never had a folding bead fail).
Old 10-07-17, 08:20 AM
Tomsl923833

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Black is just gum wall that has been colored. Some tires come in both colors and there is no performance difference.

In my experience, wire bead vs folding is mostly an issue of cost vs weight. Wire beads have some extra durability and reliability that probably matter when doing an unsupported tour through Siberia, but in my experience have never made a difference for me (I've never had a folding bead fail).
Thanks!!!
Old 10-07-17, 08:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Better for What?, how do you use your bike?
Old 10-07-17, 09:47 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires make more of a difference in the performance of your bicycle than anything else. The color does not matter, however.
Old 10-07-17, 10:11 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out this site for actual research on actual tires. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Old 10-07-17, 10:30 AM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
In my experience, folding bead tires tend to be more difficult to mount than wire bead tires.
interesting. that is the opposite of my experience. i find that wire beads are usually a PITA.
Old 10-07-17, 11:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
In my experience, folding bead tires tend to be more difficult to mount than wire bead tires.
Originally Posted by kevrider
interesting. that is the opposite of my experience. i find that wire beads are usually a PITA.
I don't get it ... . why won't people accept that I have proved my point when I relate my cogent anecdote?

Wire beads might be harder to get over the lip ... folders always seem to be shapeless and hard to keep seated while installing.
Old 10-07-17, 12:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Years ago, I noticed that gumwall tires were much more prone to damage from sunlight on bikes that were kept outdoors. At that time, it looked like the walls were made of a different material, such as some kind of latex, and I switched to blackwalls for that reason. I don't know if gumwalls are still made in the same way today.
Old 10-07-17, 03:53 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Added carbon makes rubber black and it increases durability.
Making Tires Black, Instead of the Natural White Color of Rubber, Produces a Much Stronger and Longer Lasting Tire
Old 10-07-17, 06:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
All else being equal, folding bead and wire bead tires of the same make and model should have the same performance. Of course, since folders are generally lighter, the performance of the bike might be improved in some aspects, such as climbing or acceleration, which are impacted by weight.

I was more than a couple of decades into cycling before getting a pair of folding bead tires. Mounting them the first time felt 'weird' but was not particularly difficult. I currently have folding bead tires on two bikes and have had no issues with mounting. Or removing.
Old 10-07-17, 09:41 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't get it ... . why won't people accept that I have proved my point when I relate my cogent anecdote?
I have noticed the same lack of acceptance regarding my posts. In fact, my friends and even some family members disregard my wisdom with impunity on a fairly regular basis. A prophet is never appreciated in his hometown, but my failure to impress readers of this forum is disheartening. 😎 For what it's worth, I enjoy your posts and most, or at least, some of them, seem spot on.
Old 10-08-17, 04:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Vastly prefer folding tires for many reasons.
Old 10-08-17, 11:39 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Building on the OP's original question, how much difference do the different TPI construction make?

Moving from 26" MTB / urban, where I pick tread patterns for the different conditons, to 700c road tires, which are pretty much slicks w/ minimal tread, so internal construction seems to make more of a difference.

Ride quality, puncture resistance, tire life?

ThickSlick @ 27 TPI
Gatorskin @ 60 TPI
Conti GP4 @ 120 TPI

700c x 28mm
(200# rider, 3-4 centuries/year, pavement of varying quality)
Old 10-08-17, 12:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Building on the OP's original question, how much difference do the different TPI construction make?

Moving from 26" MTB / urban, where I pick tread patterns for the different conditons, to 700c road tires, which are pretty much slicks w/ minimal tread, so internal construction seems to make more of a difference.

Ride quality, puncture resistance, tire life?

ThickSlick @ 27 TPI
Gatorskin @ 60 TPI
Conti GP4 @ 120 TPI

700c x 28mm
(200# rider, 3-4 centuries/year, pavement of varying quality)
26" wide tires and 700c road tires are totally different animals. On the road, tread patterns mean nothing, the more rubber touching the pavement, the better. Off road, on soft surfaces, tread is important. In either situation, a supple high thread count tire casing will allow the tire to conform with the surface it rolls on as long as tire pressure is correct for the conditions.
Old 10-08-17, 06:52 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's all about safety for me. I'm partial to wire bead tires that fit tightly on my rims. The rolling hills in Atlanta can allow a rider to reach speeds up to 40mph on a mile long downhill. If one of my tires blows out at near the bottom of a hill I want it to stay on the rim until I can come to a full stop and recover.
Old 10-08-17, 08:16 PM
Tomsl923833

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes it's information overload!!!

I love what you all write!!! I always have plenty to digest!!! What I like best is that nobody is trying to sell you anything!!! The help I've gotten from everyone is amazing!!! Thank you!!! I'll keep coming back!!!
Old 10-09-17, 03:43 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I love what you all write!!! I always have plenty to digest!!! What I like best is that nobody is trying to sell you anything!!! The help I've gotten from everyone is amazing!!! Thank you!!! I'll keep coming back!!!

Hey mate, I've got this bridge I'd like to sell you
Old 10-10-17, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Gumwalls.... in my opinion... were the technology of the seventies or earlier that allowed tire makers to have a supple side compound to assist with lessening rolling resistance at a price point they could sell then.

Today, gumwalls are mostly just a holdover for those that want a period look for their bicycles. Gumwalls of the old days always started cracking and looking terrible after a few years. I quit buying them because of that.

Today's tire tech has much better compounds for sidewalls in any color the manufacturer thinks is going to sell. So if you look at a true gumwall today, it's old tech.

For me, higher TPI's in the casing and a little puncture resistance is what I want. Doesn't matter what the color is. Though I'm still just using black tires. But the black components in them are not all the same material. Sidewall components are different from the tread components.

You really need to read the manufacturer's site to understand. Continental and Vittoria are two that give some good reading.
Old 10-10-17, 11:00 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Tires do matter. I'm a cheapo when it comes to biking, and they are one area I don't mind splurging. One doesn't need to go high end, but getting out of the generic named mass produced $10 examples and into something that at least lists TPI and tire construction information generally helps a lot.

FWIW, I had the same Pasela tires in tan ("gumwall") and black, and they roll the exact same.

Any deformation in folding tires will be taken care of as soon as it is mounted and pumped. I have only mounted a few folding tires, some of which have been difficult, but no worse than some of my worst wire beads. Have had some super easy wire beads, too. I don't really see any correlation to bead type and ease of mounting.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I have noticed the same lack of acceptance regarding my posts.
It is obviously because they appreciate my anecdotal evidence more, and are waiting for me to chime in

Sometimes it's information overload!!!
That is Bike Forums (or any other hobby forum for that matter) in a nutshell.
Old 10-11-17, 05:50 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Added carbon makes rubber black and it increases durability.
Carbon TIRES now? What'll they think of next? I must be faster than my watch thinks I am.
Old 10-11-17, 06:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I have noticed the same lack of acceptance regarding my posts. In fact, my friends and even some family members disregard my wisdom with impunity on a fairly regular basis. A prophet is never appreciated in his hometown, but my failure to impress readers of this forum is disheartening. 😎 For what it's worth, I enjoy your posts and most, or at least, some of them, seem spot on.
A little off topic - but:

I entered a chili making contest last week end. I knew going in there was zero chance of winning because I make a relatively spicy pot of chili and the winners are always mild chilis. I, like everybody else, feel like I made the best pot of chili. I honestly feel a little frustrated because many people won't even taste my chili. On the other hand, I had a few people seek me out to tell me that, in their opinion, my chili was the best of show. I'd rather please those few than dumb down my offering to cater to the largest common denominator.

Continue being yourself and keep posting the truth as you see it.
Old 10-11-17, 12:11 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
A little off topic - but:

I entered a chili making contest last week end. I knew going in there was zero chance of winning because I make a relatively spicy pot of chili and the winners are always mild chilis. I, like everybody else, feel like I made the best pot of chili. I honestly feel a little frustrated because many people won't even taste my chili. On the other hand, I had a few people seek me out to tell me that, in their opinion, my chili was the best of show. I'd rather please those few than dumb down my offering to cater to the largest common denominator.

Continue being yourself and keep posting the truth as you see it.
I've made chili for contests and have concluded the winning chili might commonly have some sort of wow factor noticeable in the first bite. I wonder if some might use good BBQ sauce to cause this.

This is only remotely thread drift since I ride Continental tires with Black Chili rubber compound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.