Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Showers Pass

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Showers Pass

Old 10-31-18, 09:18 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Showers Pass

Finally broke down and forked over big bucks for a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 coat in black. This is something I’ve wanted for a while, but just couldn’t justify the cost.

I plan to use it as an all weather winter commuting outer layer, so went with XL, which is a good size for underlayers. Usually wear large, which would probably be better if no underlayers. After a couple rides, I’m very happy with the jacket. No rain yet, but I really like the vents, given that both my body and my route to work get warmer as I ride. This morning, I was able to remain comfortable by opening the pit zips and the main zipper halfway through the commute, instead of stopping and removing a layer as I usually do. Looking forward to many years of use.
Old 10-31-18, 09:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
DWR surface treatment, key to water beading up, not soaking in,
is OK when new but new does not last long.

a common issue with all breathable water resistant fabrics..
Old 10-31-18, 09:34 AM
alan s 

There are products that restore the DWR, but I’ve never tried them. I’ll have to see what’s available. They have a Nikwax product on their website that may work.
Old 10-31-18, 09:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Black seems , a less than wise color choice ,

but maybe you have fashion needs when you arrive..
Old 10-31-18, 09:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
I got a Showers Pass jacket a few years ago, but I went too cheap and got one without many vents. Pay the big bucks to be happy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-31-18, 09:57 AM
alan s 

Black is less visible, but most of my commute is off-road, and I figured black would provide an extra bit of warmth in the winter from the sun. Plus I run lights day and night, so I’m visible enough. I have a hi-viz Performance rain jacket for warm weather if riding on the road.
Old 10-31-18, 10:23 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I have an old old DWR North Face rain shell that I tried to restore with spray on DWR. I used the whole spraycan and it got me a ten-minute-rain shell. After ten minutes it begins letting water in. I suppose another two or three cans might restore most of the repellance but not enough that I'd trust it on a cold wet backpack or ride. Also, the DWR chemical is toxic af.
Old 10-31-18, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
got a pic? really enjoying their waterproof & breathable Transit Pant that I got last year! I got mine a size too large (XXL instead of XL) after a cpl bad experiences with other brands. but it's OK cuz they fit over boots & have 2 velcro straps for each lower leg / ankle

how would you rate their sizing accuracy for your jacket? meaning, is the XL as big or bigger than you expected?

btw their Showers Pass Cycling Jacket Rain Hood - 8006 was on my wish list for a long time but I never bought it

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-31-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 01:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
How soon til Compass has a tire named Showers Pass?
Old 10-31-18, 01:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

When Washington state renames mountains, and the passes over them.
Old 10-31-18, 01:48 PM
alan s 

This is where it’s hanging right now. As you can see, the zippers are sealed, and it has a long tail and cinch cords at the collar and sides at the bottom. Fully vented in the back and long sleeves. Obviously these folks know how to design a cycling jacket. I’d go with a large if just using as a warm weather jacket, but for cold weather the extra space is necessary for layering. Today I rode with two technical layers and a fleece at 40F, and was comfortable until halfway through my commute. The start was cool and foggy, but by the time I was in Georgetown, where the river valley opens up, the temperature went up significantly.

Old 10-31-18, 02:06 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have been looking for a good breathable rain jacket for a while. But I am looking for a tall version since am 6'4" with a tall upper body. Either 2XT or 3XT. Looks like Shower Pass does not offer any tall sizes. Any tall commuters out there who can recommend a jacket?
Old 10-31-18, 02:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
I concur. I just bought the Pro Jacket a hood & some rain pants for my kid. He's 5'10 & kind of lankey. Medium fit him well. Over-all, I'm impressed with the quality & features for the price. I'd say it was a smart buy. Time will tell.
Old 10-31-18, 02:43 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Good evening!

I've read quite a bit about people considering showers pass. I looked at them when I wanted a cycling jacket as they're in the same price range as GORE bike wear. However, in both cases I couldn't find breathability specifications (in g/m2) or waterproof specifications (in mm). Is this a cycling-specific phenomenon? As I can easily find it for my XC skiing and other outdoor equipment.

I ended up going with a CMP jacket last year instead as I could confirm that it is 7K/1K, which isn't great but it solid for short commutes.

MAN JACKET FIX HOOD HYBRID, Abbigliamento sportivo uomo CMP Campagnolo

and my current jacket which I continue to get a lot of complements on (3 today from random Brits actually, which is quite nice ... and very rare!)

https://www.rain-couture.nl/us/rain-...nch-green.html

which is at least 10/5, which is solid, plus it goes right from the bike into the boardroom without changing, which is nice.

However, with both GORE BIKE and Showers Pass as I can find is "breathable" and "waterproof" but no actual specs.

Did I perhaps miss them by chance?

Have a nice evening and enjoy the new jacket!
Old 10-31-18, 02:53 PM
mkblackwell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
I have been looking for a good breathable rain jacket for a while. But I am looking for a tall version since am 6'4" with a tall upper body. Either 2XT or 3XT. Looks like Shower Pass does not offer any tall sizes. Any tall commuters out there who can recommend a jacket?
I'm also 6'4". 36" inseam, pretty long arms - I usually wear a LT or XLT for shirts.

I have the Shower's Pass Storm jacket, in just an L, and find it fits pretty well. If it's raining I'm probably also wearing long fingered gloves with a longish cuff, and no wrist is exposed. I do find the torso length is a tad short in front, but the tail of the jacket is extra long to accommodate a normal riding position, so it works well on-bike and doesn't bunch up in front. The XL was just too baggy and flappy for me.

The breathability of the Storm jacket isn't great, in my opinion. Even though the jacket is well vented it still gets damp inside pretty quickly. A colleague has their Transit jacket and that seems to work much better (but it's also heavier and bulkier when packed).

I also have the Transit pants, in XL, and they fit well. The velcro features to cinch the pant legs are convenient.

I usually wait for the REI 20%-off member days for these types of purchases!
Old 10-31-18, 03:16 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by mkblackwell
I'm also 6'4". 36" inseam, pretty long arms - I usually wear a LT or XLT for shirts.

I have the Shower's Pass Storm jacket, in just an L, and find it fits pretty well. If it's raining I'm probably also wearing long fingered gloves with a longish cuff, and no wrist is exposed. I do find the torso length is a tad short in front, but the tail of the jacket is extra long to accommodate a normal riding position, so it works well on-bike and doesn't bunch up in front. The XL was just too baggy and flappy for me.

The breathability of the Storm jacket isn't great, in my opinion. Even though the jacket is well vented it still gets damp inside pretty quickly. A colleague has their Transit jacket and that seems to work much better (but it's also heavier and bulkier when packed).

I also have the Transit pants, in XL, and they fit well. The velcro features to cinch the pant legs are convenient.

I usually wait for the REI 20%-off member days for these types of purchases!

While I do a lot of shopping at REI, particularly for clothing items, biketiresdirect has a good sale right now with a discount of 25% plus points toward a future purchase and no tax or shipping.
Old 11-01-18, 05:30 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Hard to see

how the SP jacket really differs much from the REI Novarra that I wear. The Novarra has a long tail that can be snapped up to wear "normally." It has no back vent, but decent vents under the arms. The neck is high and close fitting, so I've never had rain come in. I ride warm, so a light or midweight Merino does well into the 20s. Teens and below I'm now wearing a Black Diamond First Light with active insulation.
Old 11-01-18, 06:30 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
The SP jacket looks like a nice option, I have their pants and they have served me well..

I now have a Gore Active bike shell that I can use for temps down to 20 F (it is snug, lower than that I need more room for layering). The fabric is nice and *supposedly* Gore's most breathable hard shell, but maddeningly I cannot find published waterproofness/breathability information to back that up. In my own experience the breathability is pretty good and the waterproofness is very good; I therefore wish this jacket had vents, but overall I'm pretty satisfied.
Old 11-01-18, 07:11 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I know that feeling of waiting for rain (or snow) to try out some new gear. As far as the venting, it sounds like it was well thought-out, unlike some of the venting on bikeforums.
Old 11-01-18, 07:24 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
The SP jacket looks like a nice option, I have their pants and they have served me well..

I now have a Gore Active bike shell that I can use for temps down to 20 F (it is snug, lower than that I need more room for layering). The fabric is nice and *supposedly* Gore's most breathable hard shell, but maddeningly I cannot find published waterproofness/breathability information to back that up. In my own experience the breathability is pretty good and the waterproofness is very good; I therefore wish this jacket had vents, but overall I'm pretty satisfied.
I really wanted to invest in some of their gear last year and this year, but unfortunately, I couldn't find those specs either, so I assume that they don't do any quantitative testing, which i fair enough as they're an American firm, from what I can tell and are not legally bound by EU/BS/DIN specifications.

Unfortunately, they lost a sale that way. Mind you, this was in a German sporting goods shop and they were quite frustrated as well and were considering reducing their floorspace as they weren't selling as well as expected at a very high price point.

Anyway, I wonder if they do testing but don't release the info or just don't test at that level?

Would be interesting to know.
Old 11-01-18, 07:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
I'm a couple inches shorter than you, though I wear XLT casual shirts, so this may be a "grain of salt" recommendation. My SP Transit jacket is almost too long without some bulky layers underneath it. I'd guess the sleeves correspond to 37-38" dress shirt; the front covers to below the leg/torso joint on the bike, and the tail is plenty long to cover my butt when I'm in the drops.

The Transit is a bit heavier as a full three-layer jacket, which has a few implications. As noted, it doesn't pack too well. The fabric also isn't as breathable as some of the lightweight DWR jackets, though this is mitigated by long life (I've been commuting in mine for 4-5 winters, IIRC). It's got good vents, which helps in warmer (i.e., 45-55F) weather, and the neck and sleeves are comfortable against bare skin.
Old 11-01-18, 08:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Excuse me if I start sounding crotchety, but this kind of focus on the breathability of a jacket's fabric reminds me of the endless debate on which material makes a better bicycle. After a manufacturer gets through waving a material specification around, there's still the matter of designing and building the darn thing. Some jackets feel like sheets of rubber, or plastic wrap, against your body. In a cool (not cold) light shower, the rider gets to choose whether they're going to get soaked from rain or from sweat. Euch. Some manufacturers take a nice fabric, add thoughtful features like two-way zippers, adjustable sleeve cuffs, pit vents, etc., and make a jacket that's comfortable to wear and which seems to minimize rider dampness at the end of the ride. Or perhaps the design goal is something that will block the wind on a brisk ride in low humidity to prevent evaporative cooling leading to hypothermia. It seems difficult to meet both design goals with a single jacket, unfortunately.

For the record, I think the best bike frame material is the one a knowledgeable and skilled designer uses to make a great bike.
Old 11-01-18, 08:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Good choice.

Did a Showers Pass Transit jacket, a few years back. Great investment. Wonderfully long pit zips, back vent, tall neck area, very waterproof. Wish it could be a tad lighter/thinner and more breathable, but then I've yet to get soaked while wearing the thing ... and that's far more than I can say about any other "waterproof" clothing I have ever owned.

Nice gear.

I'll bet that the Elite jacket is pretty sweet.
Old 11-01-18, 10:11 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Crotchety is fine if you are nearing or have reached retirement age, so I am approaching full swing on that score.

Although irritated by the absence of lab test information on Gore fabrics in general, I can offer a more detailed opinion about the Goretex Active material/jacket than my earlier post provided, all based on my own experience with a variety of fabrics while biking, hiking and skiing off the grid. I sweat pretty hard,so I'm particularly critical about fabric breathability.

My Gore "Active" Scorecard:
  • Waterproofness: "Excellent", a good as Goretex Pac-Lite and Pro Shell, far better than any softshell
  • Breathability: "Quite Good", better than Pro Shell, Pac-Lite, Schoeller C-Change, Marmot Precip. Not as good as Schoeller softshell (which is hard to beat)
  • Packability: "Very Good", as good as Pac-Lite, not as packable as Precip
  • Abrasion Resistance/Durability: "Quite Good", not as good as Pro Shell, as good as my Shower's Pass pant material, much better than Precip. I took a hard fall on pavement and the material was roughed up but did not tear.
  • Flexibilty/Feel: "Excellent", better than any other hardshell I've tried, and almost softshell-like
My ideal commuting wet-weather jacket in all seasons would be a Shower's Pass design (pit zips, etc) with the Gore Active fabric.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Excuse me if I start sounding crotchety, but this kind of focus on the breathability of a jacket's fabric reminds me of the endless debate on which material makes a better bicycle. After a manufacturer gets through waving a material specification around, there's still the matter of designing and building the darn thing. Some jackets feel like sheets of rubber, or plastic wrap, against your body. In a cool (not cold) light shower, the rider gets to choose whether they're going to get soaked from rain or from sweat. Euch. Some manufacturers take a nice fabric, add thoughtful features like two-way zippers, adjustable sleeve cuffs, pit vents, etc., and make a jacket that's comfortable to wear and which seems to minimize rider dampness at the end of the ride. Or perhaps the design goal is something that will block the wind on a brisk ride in low humidity to prevent evaporative cooling leading to hypothermia. It seems difficult to meet both design goals with a single jacket, unfortunately.

For the record, I think the best bike frame material is the one a knowledgeable and skilled designer uses to make a great bike.
Old 11-01-18, 12:13 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
There are products that restore the DWR, but I’ve never tried them. I’ll have to see what’s available. They have a Nikwax product on their website that may work.
I just used nikwax products on a beloved rain jacket an REI brand jacket that I've had for almost 6 years in very adverse conditions as well as a Novara rain jacket I bought on clearance. For both jackets, I started to experience where when it was raining, the water would would besr up but not roll off. I believe that much of this has to do with the fact that at some point the outer layer absorbs grime, dirt, body oils, whatever and so instead of having a nice surface where water rolls off of, it just sits. And while it doesn't necessarily mean this leads to absorption, it doesnt help at all with breathability.

in my case, I used the two pack nikwax - the tech wash and the DWR wash in product. I have used the spray on dwr restorer but it didn't work as well. The results were dramatic. Water beads up and rolls off as it did when new. I cant speak to the durability of this as I just did this three weeks ago, but in the 8 times its rained since, I've been very impressed with my rain gear. I recommend giving it a shot if you feel so inclined.

additionally, I wanted to get some rain pants and couldn't ever find any good reviews on here. Us commuters are a stubborn bunch to some degree and people have come up with all types of strategies on mitigating getting their legs wet or why getting their legs soaked is ok. Anyone have any insight into a good pair of pants that will keep your legs dry, but that dont make you look like an astronaut or some type of safety worker and wont break the bank? I'm not averse to spending up to $100 USD but not without some information first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.