Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Showers Pass

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Showers Pass

Old 11-02-18, 08:53 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
.... Anyone have any insight into a good pair of pants that will keep your legs dry, but that dont make you look like an astronaut or some type of safety worker and wont break the bank? I'm not averse to spending up to $100 USD but not without some information first......
Marmot Precip pants are the only waterproof pants I know that fit this bill. Unfortunately the membrane is less flexible that more expensive fabrics and eventually it becomes brittle and flakes apart (after about 2 years of daily use, in my experience).
Old 11-03-18, 05:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
Anyone have any insight into a good pair of pants that will keep your legs dry, but that dont make you look like an astronaut or some type of safety worker and wont break the bank? I'm not averse to spending up to $100 USD but not without some information first.
when it's just sprinkling my Novara Headwind Pants are sufficient. but when it's worse, I'm happy w the pair I mentioned above. I think they look like cycling pants so I only wear them cycling. and there's room for another layer when it's super cold Showers Pass Transit Pant

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-03-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-03-18, 09:55 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Black seems , a less than wise color choice ,

but maybe you have fashion needs when you arrive..
Black seems right for winter to me.
Old 11-03-18, 09:56 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by alan s
Black is less visible, but most of my commute is off-road, and I figured black would provide an extra bit of warmth in the winter from the sun. Plus I run lights day and night, so I’m visible enough. I have a hi-viz Performance rain jacket for warm weather if riding on the road.
It has reflective strips for night, Got the yellow myself.
Old 11-03-18, 10:04 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Good choice.

Did a Showers Pass Transit jacket, a few years back. Great investment. Wonderfully long pit zips, back vent, tall neck area, very waterproof. Wish it could be a tad lighter/thinner and more breathable, but then I've yet to get soaked while wearing the thing ... and that's far more than I can say about any other "waterproof" clothing I have ever owned.

Nice gear.

I'll bet that the Elite jacket is pretty sweet.
I have one of these too. I find it better for cold winter weather than the elite. It is a bit looser and better for layering IMO. But I think it is too loose a fit for more moderate weather than the Elite.
Old 11-03-18, 10:47 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I have one of these too. I find it better for cold winter weather than the elite. It is a bit looser and better for layering IMO. But I think it is too loose a fit for more moderate weather than the Elite.
I do, too. Got mine in a larger size, so there's even more potential for "proper" layering. With a thinner, wicking underlayer, it'll tolerate up to mid-60s or so. With a good underlayer plus a light wool layer, I've had it down to 0ºF without problems.

But, you're right, it's a bit loose of a fit for warmer weather. Wish it had the thumbholes on the wrist area, to allow for opening up the straps for airflow but still allowing the cuff to stay in place. Wish it had a couple of chest area vents. And wish it weren't quite so heavy/stiff on the material. Though, as-is it's still a wonderful jacket. Great value.
Old 11-03-18, 11:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Excuse me if I start sounding crotchety, but this kind of focus on the breathability of a jacket's fabric reminds me of the endless debate on which material makes a better bicycle. After a manufacturer gets through waving a material specification around, there's still the matter of designing and building the darn thing. Some jackets feel like sheets of rubber, or plastic wrap, against your body. In a cool (not cold) light shower, the rider gets to choose whether they're going to get soaked from rain or from sweat. Euch. Some manufacturers take a nice fabric, add thoughtful features like two-way zippers, adjustable sleeve cuffs, pit vents, etc., and make a jacket that's comfortable to wear and which seems to minimize rider dampness at the end of the ride. Or perhaps the design goal is something that will block the wind on a brisk ride in low humidity to prevent evaporative cooling leading to hypothermia. It seems difficult to meet both design goals with a single jacket, unfortunately.

For the record, I think the best bike frame material is the one a knowledgeable and skilled designer uses to make a great bike.
+1 I didn't study the field. I heard good reports from local riders re: the jackets of the local Sowers Pass. 15 years ago; an unlined jacket. I was new to 'breathable" jackets, didn't treat it kindly enough and started ripping the vapor barrier (doing things like putting it on over wet clothes, wearing gloves while riding). Bought the much more substantial lined jacket as a daily commuter. That jacket has been a rock and is still serving very well. Bought a third, unlined, as a good ride jacket. It is and I plan to treat it with respect. The original is still my everyday non-rain jacket. It will need a new zipper soon but that is the first anything I have done for it and it has many hundreds of rides.

Showers Pass jackets work really well as jackets for riding. They are designed and made by people who ride year 'round wearing them and it shows. (They also incorporate a feature I consider a must - a double zipper. I nearly always start the bottom and climb hills with the zippers meeting and sleeves pushed up.)

(For frame materials - I love the ti ride and ride two ti customs but I trust the builder to spec the right tubes for the job. I don't say it has to this tube, this alloy. Or go to another builder because he uses this tube.)

Ben
Old 11-04-18, 10:18 AM
johnnyboy1

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Elite 6 years ago. Used it for 2 car-free years in Buffalo NY. Love it! Still use it here in the northern AZ mountains, but not as often (warmer and drier here).
Old 11-05-18, 04:50 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I have the Shower Pass Elite 2.1 also and it worked for a while but now I use it more as winter wind breaker than anything else as it stopped working long time ago. Thanks to the tips on here I am currently washing it with Nikwax Tech Wash and if that doesn't help, I will try the TX.Direct Wash. Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-07-18, 08:16 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Like the "drink before you are thirsty" mantra, take care of your jacket before it starts to lose waterproofness.

After losing a beloved jacket to an early death from sweat, oils, and salt coating the inside of the jacket, I now rinse my jacket in the shower, inside-out, with water only. I am in my third season and it is still like new in terms of water proofness. My other jacket was shot after the third season.
Old 11-07-18, 02:58 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
IME people spend more time talking about their rain gear than they spend riding in the rain.
Old 11-07-18, 04:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
IME people spend more time talking about their rain gear than they spend riding in the rain.
B. That's probably true of cycling in general as well; but then again...

3. I'm not so sure. A couple of 45 minute rainy commutes this week (fairly common in the winter) covers a lot of time surfing and posting to BF.
Old 11-07-18, 07:22 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Sure bud

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Old 11-12-18, 10:41 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
First rain ride tonight. The jacket was great at 42F and light to moderate rain. Forgot to bring rain pants. However the PI AmFIB tights kept my legs somewhat dry, and more importantly, warm. I usually dread riding in cold rain, and would still drive to work if it was raining in the morning or heavy rain was expected for the ride home, but this opens up marginal days for bike commuting.
Old 11-12-18, 11:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
B. That's probably true of cycling in general as well; but then again...

3. I'm not so sure. A couple of 45 minute rainy commutes this week (fairly common in the winter) covers a lot of time surfing and posting to BF.
I do a long ride with gravel for Black Friday. Most years I'm covered.

Ben
Old 11-13-18, 09:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I wore my Showers Pass jacket today. It worked, but I got hot. No big complaints. I wear this jacket as infrequently as possible.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-18, 01:46 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
A frustrating experience with a SP hi viz vest. Returned it because the zipper came apart. Got an email yesterday that they can't fix the zipper, and later in the email they referred me to a repair place that fixes zippers. Odd, so I asked about it. Response to my question was that it would cost them too much to replace the zipper, but I could have it replaced if I so chose. They said they will send the vest back to me so I can return it to REI for a refund. I've worked in and I've been around the outdoor industry since the early '80s. In industry parlance, this is is a "sh*tty" warranty. There are many reputable companies making outdoor wear. I no longer count SP among them.