Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Assault

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 11:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Putting aside the feelings this has stirred, I do find it interesting that as a society we have tended to identify perpetrators by race, except if they're "white." More so in the past IMO. I am not implying any overt racism. For example, I don't recall the Newtown school shooter (Adam Lanza) being identified as white. In fact, all the school shootings I recall (as well as other public mass shootings) were committed by white males. If you are a member of an other than white "race" I can see where this would seem pretty unfair. If mentioning race as a description is reasonable (I would argue it is in a report to law enforcement), why not mention white perpetrators. Just to be clear, I am not directing my comments toward the OP or anyone else here. I am asking why society (which is all of us) does what it does and what, if any, are the implications.
And with that, I'd say the tangent has completely overwhelmed the pointless thread.

No offense meant, this thread was barely relevant in a bicycle forum when it started, not your fault it went completely sideways.
Old 05-16-19, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not only that, he edited the OP because of the alleged "PC" (an often misunderstood and, thus, improperly used term) police. I am seriously thinking the OP's tack was intentional.
I'll just leave it at the observation that forming intent requires certain capabilities a person might lack.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-19, 11:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,526 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
No, wrong again. I gave an accurate and honest description of exactly what happened. You have no right to assume what my motives were. That is you're assumption based on no logic or reasoning. Do not inflict your PC Mentality on me. That is your problem. I have found that people who occupy your position are indeed the Racists with their Patronizing Attitude.
You mentioned race in your original OP (since edited), That inclusion wasn't an accident on the part of you or a keyboard-walking cat. But race never crossed your mind when composing the OP. Got it now! Thanks for clearing that up. Now if you will excuse me, I need to return a voice mail from some guy who is trying to interest me in a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn. Sounds like a good deal.

BTW...Which race(s) am I racist towards?
Old 05-16-19, 11:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The Tour de Frogs?

Sorry, but that one might be worth an infraction.
Old 05-16-19, 11:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And with that, I'd say the tangent has completely overwhelmed the pointless thread.

No offense meant, this thread was barely relevant in a bicycle forum when it started, not your fault it went completely sideways.
I didn't see the thread as pointless. I thought the OP was relating an experience he saw as disturbing and asking what he might have done differently. I also understand why some would question the inclusion of race. I specifically chose not to mention the race of the perp who murdered someone on a rail/trail by my house (he happened to be white) because I didn't see it as relevant in a post on this forum. And, I do agree that this has taken over the thread. OTOH, if we can have a discussion about something that elevates our understanding of a significant issue and do it in a respectful way, I'm OK with that. Whether this is the appropriate place to do that I leave to others.
Old 05-16-19, 11:43 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Let's see ... data on crime is presented and disbelieved. A suggestion that the OP wouldn't have written '3 white kids' is ignored. I suggest taking a look at: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html.

In Illinois, I believe it would be classified as 'assault and battery,' not assault. Assault happens when the victim feels threatened. You were actually hit - battered. It's definitely a matter for a police report.

I understand that crime statistics mean nothing to a person who was a victim of a crime. I'm very sorry you experienced this.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-16-19, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bruce19
I didn't see the thread as pointless. I thought the OP was relating an experience he saw as disturbing and asking what he might have done differently. I also understand why some would question the inclusion of race. I specifically chose not to mention the race of the perp who murdered someone on a rail/trail by my house (he happened to be white) because I didn't see it as relevant in a post on this forum. And, I do agree that this has taken over the thread. OTOH, if we can have a discussion about something that elevates our understanding of a significant issue and do it in a respectful way, I'm OK with that. Whether this is the appropriate place to do that I leave to others.
Fair enough. We disagree (just a little) and I appreciate how civil you're being about it. Some in this thread could probably take a lesson from that.
Old 05-16-19, 12:13 PM
mjac

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
You mentioned race in your original OP (since edited), That inclusion wasn't an accident on the part of you or a keyboard-walking cat. But race never crossed your mind when composing the OP. Got it now! Thanks for clearing that up. Now if you will excuse me, I need to return a voice mail from some guy who is trying to interest me in a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn. Sounds like a good deal.

Lets see.I gave an accurate, factual account about what happened. With no derogatory remarks or references. Just who did it. There was no intent. Just who did it to paint an accurate picture. That is deemed Racist. To correct this perception I deleted the description of who did it. Then I am accused of this being my Tac all along. Your logic is astounding. It is a fact that there are multitude of Craven Criminals of that Race in this City as illustrated by the video I Posted. Is this a reflection on the entire Black Race? No, it is a reflection on the Multiple Craven Criminsls of that Race. That is reality. Not Racist. You want to take a walk into Angola Prison or New Orleans Parish Prison and see for yourself. These were people committing a crime who could very well be part of this group. Excuse me if I might want to protect myself from them. Recognizing that Criminal Element is not Racist. Ignoring it is Patronizing and indeed Racist.
Old 05-16-19, 12:16 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Be smart. Change your route. Try to avoid confrontation. Getting the police involved is one option but I doubt they can do anything about poor parenting. Nowaday kids think they're above the law (and they are), if you so much as touch them, they'll go crying to the police to play the victim.

Not only that that, people from rough backgrounds often have big families. Whether they're black, hispanic or gypsy, the mentality is the same. Before you know it, you'll have brothers, cousins and uncles on your doorstep causing a ruckuss, or worse.... Don't **** with these people, there's no telling what they might do if you trip their wire.

I know that this sounds like bowing to the bully but that's the wisest thing you can do. Change your route and move along....

And don't think too badly of these people would be my advice, they're at a disadvantage really. Most of them will wind up dead or in prison before they reach adulthood. It's not your job to reform them, attempts of that sort are rarely successful.

Natural selection will take care of them, but you need to take care for yourself.

God bless, Kret
Old 05-16-19, 12:18 PM
krecik

Oh and ignore the morons still arguing over the race thing. It was an irrelevant detail imo but so is the discussion so please end it all of you and try to give the OP a constructive response.
Old 05-16-19, 12:25 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Did you report the incident to the police?
Old 05-16-19, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by krecik
Oh and ignore the morons still arguing over the race thing. It was an irrelevant detail imo but so is the discussion so please end it all of you and try to give the OP a constructive response.
Is calling people morons constructive? I must have missed the memo.
Old 05-16-19, 12:35 PM
krecik

And there you go, you'll just keep it going, anything else to add??
Old 05-16-19, 12:45 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
I feel like OP also brought up kids this unfairly biases older people and that somehow they are incapable of assaulting people.
+1, that's ageist and gender biased IMO. He should've written just "3 persons on bikes".
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-16-19, 12:45 PM
indyfabz

Ignoring it is Patronizing and indeed Racist.

You are afraid to answer my question. Figures.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-16-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 12:46 PM
mjac

Be smart. Change your route. Try to avoid confrontation. Getting the police involved is one option but I doubt they can do anything about poor parenting. Nowaday kids think they're above the law (and they are), if you so much as touch them, they'll go crying to the police to play the victim.

Not only that that, people from rough backgrounds often have big families. Whether they're black, hispanic or gypsy, the mentality is the same. Before you know it, you'll have brothers, cousins and uncles on your doorstep causing a ruckuss, or worse.... Don't **** with these people, there's no telling what they might do if you trip their wire.

I know that this sounds like bowing to the bully but that's the wisest thing you can do. Change your route and move along....

And don't think too badly of these people would be my advice, they're at a disadvantage really. Most of them will wind up dead or in prison before they reach adulthood. It's not your job to reform them, attempts of that sort are rarely successful.

Natural selection will take care of them, but you need to take care for yourself.

God bless, Kret
There are those that would consider your remarks as too strident. So be it. But I do appreciate you getting off this Race Baiting started by certain individuals.

You are absolutely right, I intend to avoid and most importantly ignore these individuals and let them seek their own level on their own. But I worried about what if I can not ignore them. What do I do then. That was the entire reason for the Originsl Post. Until someone decided to condemn it as Racist for giving an accurate description when there was no intent. High jacking the whole discussion and ignoring the point.
Old 05-16-19, 12:49 PM
mjac

You are afraid to answer my question. Figures.
You give me the question you are referencing and I will answer it. I fear nothing and no one.
Old 05-16-19, 12:57 PM
krecik

But I worried about what if I can not ignore them. What do I do then.
Fix your drivetrain and let em eat dust.

Seriously tho, not a good idea to ignore. Aggrevates people even more. Try to avoid, not ignore. And yh, get that drivetrain sorted so if you see them next time, you can bolt.
Old 05-16-19, 12:58 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Did you report the incident to the police?
That is another debate going on. You have to know the New Orleans Police Department to understand.
Old 05-16-19, 01:09 PM
mjac

Fix your drivetrain and let em eat dust.

Seriously tho, not a good idea to ignore. Aggrevates people even more. Try to avoid, not ignore. And yh, get that drivetrain sorted so if you see them next time, you can bolt.
You are right, if I were not nursing the Chain Ring the worst of it would not have happened. I had bought it used and I think it was worn by someone using a stretched chain. I found out this morning if I ease into it the chain won't skip and stays on.

I ordered Chain Ring last night. Everyone putting me down because I am using Biopace. But I kinda like them. I hope this wasn't too Racist.
Old 05-16-19, 01:09 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Report it to the police. If they are bulling you they are probably doing it to others as well. It can hurt to have it documented.
Likes For flyjimmy:
Old 05-16-19, 01:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
That is another debate going on. You have to know the New Orleans Police Department to understand.
That is terrible
Old 05-16-19, 01:12 PM
krecik

There are those that would consider your remarks as too strident. So be it. But I do appreciate you getting off this Race Baiting started by certain individuals.
That's because people nowadays feel threatened by remarks made too forcefully and too clearly. It's not about what you say, it's about how you say it. Today, people don't like to hear opinions that are articulated with conviction. They feel like you leave no room for their oh-so-important interpretation but I appreciate your understanding.

Kret.
Old 05-16-19, 01:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, we'll never actually know, but I'd bet money he wouldn't have written "3 white kids" if that had been the case.

Honesty is definitely not doing as the OP did--bringing up the race of the perpetrators, then acting shocked that people thought he brought up the race of the perpetrators. I wouldn't have said anything about it if he hadn't been so disingenuous about that.
The OP did not project on to others from his incident or generalize or repeat stereotypical BS about anybody who was not a direct participant in the incident.

Let us expand on the proper way to report bicycling incidents on BF.

If for example, I/you/someone posted "Three white middle-aged dudes wearing cowboy hats and tattoos in a pickup truck threw beer cans at me and called me vulgar names" or "A suburban soccer mom in an SUV cut me off and called me vulgar names as she blew the horn at me."

What would you bet that the upstanding citizens of BF would NOT get immediately bent out of shape and hijack the thread with moralizing about the irrelevance of specifying, the race, age, or appearance of the perpetrators, or the type of vehicle etc.?

There are numerous posts on BF that include ranting all sorts of derogatory and insulting generalizations and stereotypes concerning the mental processes and anti-social behavior of pickup truck drivers, SUV drivers, soccer moms, non-urban residents and almost anybody who uses a motor vehicle instead of, or in the vicinity of bicyclists.

Don't recall seeing much instant heartburn of the PC types over such posts.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-16-19 at 01:37 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-16-19, 01:24 PM
indyfabz

You give me the question you are referencing and I will answer it. I fear nothing and no one.
You need to work on your reading comprehension. Take a look back. It's right there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.