Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trailer Communication

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Trailer Communication

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 12:49 PM
Indie Motion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trailer Communication

We are planning to ride the MS 150 in Dallas in May pulling our then 18 month old daughter in a Chariot trailer. Our question is how best to communicate with her while we tool along? Thoughts so far are two cell phones one with speaker phone in trailer and one with ear piece and microphone for Mom. Expensive though. Another was walkie talkies with voice or noise activated microphones. Problem is daughter wold need to wear an ear bud (yeh, for about 2 seconds!)...Anyone got other options? Thanks. Mike
Old 03-12-06, 03:31 PM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FRS (family radio service) radios. These are low power UHF walkie talkies and can sometimes be had for little or nothing, using rebate coupons, etc. I've obtained several pairs for nothing, using rebates. You could also check ebay. Most have earphone jacks, but the speaker would probably work just fine. I think they all use push to talk and don't offer VOX (voice operated relay). They're handy to have, regardless. The range is usually about one or two miles, but can be more or less, depending upon terrain. Many can be programmed with various ring tones, like a cell phone, when a friendly unit calls.

My wife and I are both licensed hams and use our ham H.Ts. (handy talkies) on some rides, such as century rides where we might get separated, etc. They're not totally unlike FRS radios, but have much more power/sophistication. We also have repeater stations with ham radio HTs, allowing us to cover 100s of miles of distance, but that's another story. Good luck! OHB
Old 03-12-06, 07:37 PM
mtbcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats cool as heck!! Let us know how your adventure goes with the 18 month. Reason I am curious is next years MS 150 my boy (due end of may) will be about 15 months old and have though about doing but thought I might be a little crazy if I think a 18 month old will stay straped into a trailer that long.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-06, 08:47 PM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have not experienced a need electronic comms with the trailer being right behind you and the ability to talk over the road noise. Has communications been a problem on other rides you think you need something? I assume you have done some longer, 30+ miles and 2+ hours, rides with your child.

I pull mine on a couple 50+ milers each year and have never found a need for comms other than talking over the road noise. Granted, it has been awhile since I pulled a solo child on a longer haul. I did pull a 14 month and 4 year old for 8 hours with no problems other than they were very grimy at the end.

I obviously have no practical experience or suggestions for such a setup. I only questions as to why you think it will be necessary. Maybe only a voice activated speaker would be required to salve the child. Meaning you and spouse could wear the electronic comms while the kid could listen in. Even if they did try to communicate something it will likely not be often. Another option but probably difficult is to find another kid to take along to help occupy yours. More weight but very fun.
Old 03-13-06, 12:55 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
talk loud
Old 03-13-06, 02:10 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It seems like a long tour for a 18 mouth old. We started our kids in the trailer at about six months, about 20 minutes at first. Now our son is in his last year in the trailer and is good for around 2 hrs, maybe a little longer if he falls asleep (as he often does). With a younger child between food breaks, play breaks, potty breaks, and other stops could make the trip very long. As for communications, we hear our son usually fine, even with the trailer closed up. Very windy days make communication the hardest. On most any trip it gets boring for them, there are only so many cows, horses, sheep, goats, deer, tractors, dogs, big trucks, and other sites to point out for them. After awhile our son will just sort of drift off.

John